Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This woman never raises her voice. She even goes through labor all docile.

She makes me feel like crap.

How can this woman be so happy all the time. Is she ever in a bad mood? Has she ever yelled at her kids or hubby?

Maybe I'm jealous of her good nature.

The woman just astounds me with her personality.

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This woman never raises her voice. She even goes through labor all docile.

She makes me feel like crap.

How can this woman be so happy all the time. Is she ever in a bad mood? Has she ever yelled at her kids or hubby?

Maybe I'm jealous of her good nature.

The woman just astounds me with her personality.

The way she wears her hair drives me crazy through. and the way she dresses them children drives me crazy as well.

So she's not perfect. :)

But i would say the Lord has given these ppl special grace and they walk with it and do not reject it.

and I'm sure not having money problems helps them. It makes it easy to do what they do.

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
She seems like a sweetheart.

She seems like she's in a cult.

You know what Michie --I'd put money down that if you had cameras on you all day that you'd eliminate many of the negative aspects of your personality which you don't like.

Personally I think it's dysfunctional(but the again from the limited outside perspective an awful lot of their family life looks dysfunctional)---negative emotions are part of the normal spectrum, and it's important for children to see those emotions expressed and modeled in non-destructive ways.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
whoa...

You can not think the worst of ppl. It's not right. You have no reason to think they are crazy. The only thing i have against her is her goofy haircut.

I believe the couple is genuine for the simple fact they, husband and wife are on the same page and agree on their life ambitions.

It's sad when we see the Christian life lived out and Catholics speculate that it's not possible.

This may shock ppl to know but there are some couples out there who are equally yoked and marriage and family works for them.

Upvote 0

Rois

Be strong and take heart
Dec 27, 2008
✟8,268.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've never watched the show. I tried but I can't stand reality shows. I'm not jealous of her calm natured spirit. That's a good thing. I just don't buy it lol. :)

yea, we would all put on a sweet face with the cameras on. I don't know much about that family, except that it's like a mini army.

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
whoa...

You can not think the worst of ppl. It's not right. You have no reason to think they are crazy. The only thing i have against her is her goofy haircut.

I believe the couple is genuine for the simple fact they, husband and wife are on the same page and agree on their life ambitions.

It's sad when we see the Christian life lived out and Catholics speculate that it's not possible.

This may shock ppl to know but there are some couples out there who are equally yoked and marriage and family works for them.
Have you read To Train Up A Child? The Pearl's set forth evil, abusive child rearing practices. Many children ago, before their TV show...the Duggars had all kinds of Pearl crap on their website. They still blanket train. And I still thinking hitting your 9 month old is evil. As the Duggars gained more media coverage the Pearl's teachings--the controversial Pearl teachings slowly dropped off their website.

And give me a break--we can judge the actions of people--and I think that if you don't ever model negative emotions to your children, you are doing them harm. I think it you punish and hit your children for doing things which are age appropriate and not dangerous-that you are doing them harm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Have you read To Train Up A Child? The Pearl's set forth evil, abusive child rearing practices. Many children ago, before their TV show...the Duggars had all kinds of Pearl crap on their website. They still blanket train. And I still thinking hitting your 9 month old is evil. As the Duggars gained more media coverage the Pearl's teachings--the controversial Pearl teachings slowly dropped off their website.

And give me a break--we can judge the actions of people--and I think that if you don't ever model negative emotions to your children, you are doing them harm. I think it you punish and hit your children for doing things which are age appropriate and not dangerous-that you are doing them harm.

Their book says they modified the blanket training to use positive reinforcement not physical. And, I think she said she started it around age two.

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I doubt she never gets upset. Her personality may not lend itself to getting loud and upset. My friend's mom was like that, and believe me her quiet and withdrawn anger could be pretty darn scary. And, she could be like that, and look perfectly quiet and fine to those that didn't know her well. I'm sure Mrs. Duggar has her moments. She just may deal with it differently than some of us do. I think it's also important to remember that TLC gets just as much viewers from people who think they are a crazy religious cult as those that love their parenting style so they have reason to portray her that way. Editing can do wonders.

I do suggest their book if you want to learn more about their family story and history. It's probably at most library's by now if you don't want them to financially benefit from your purchase.

Upvote 0

Rois

Be strong and take heart
Dec 27, 2008
✟8,268.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I doubt she never gets upset. Her personality may not lend itself to getting loud and upset. My friend's mom was like that, and believe me her quiet and withdrawn anger could be pretty darn scary.

quiet, withdrawn anger freaks me out---I come from an expressive family lol.....but that's true, some people keep it all bottled up.

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
Tomato staking is just so, so wrong....and I loathe it with every ounce of my being. Blanket training typically begins around nine months---and stands in the face of all that is developmentally important.

As an aside--most of the Pearl-esque parents do not believe "swatting" to be physical punishment. Swatting is done with a switch or with a spatula or a spoon, and is not classified as physical punishment. You have to really understand the mind set-- positive reinforcement has as part and parcel of the whole thing saying thank you (as a requirement) when your parents hit or "swat" you.

My hope is that the Duggars have grown past such tactics....under the pressure of the public looking in. Things which happen in secret, no longer feel quite "right" when exposed to the entire world.

Upvote 0
I don't understand the obsession people have with how any other people live their day-to-day lives. This whole "Reality TV" industry is quite nauseating. Watching these people or the little family or any of the other garbage on TLC is simply voyeurism and frankly it's rather sick.

If people were happier and more fulfilled in their own lives they wouldn't care or have time to watch this kind of crap. Living vicariously through others is a sure road to nowhere- it leads to envy and gossip.

Reactions: Rebekka
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, good heavens! That's what fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible does for you.

Proverbs 29:15

Douay-Rheims Bible
The rod and reproof give wisdom: but the child that is left to his own will bringeth his mother to shame.

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
quiet, withdrawn anger freaks me out---I come from an expressive family lol.....but that's true, some people keep it all bottled up.

It freaks me out too. But, I can't say some of the more loud ways I've seen people express anger is any more healthy.

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh, good heavens! That's what fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible does for you.

I think it's really important that we don't assume they hit their children. I have never seen anything in their book or show that suggest this. And, yes I believe you can take the good from an idea and do away with the negative. That seems to be what they have done with blanket training.

Upvote 0

Rois

Be strong and take heart
Dec 27, 2008
✟8,268.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It freaks me out too. But, I can't say some of the more loud ways I've seen people express anger is any more healthy.

too true, it isn't any more healthy at all.... I just don't like simmering anger.

Kid Fish-

I don't either.... I don't really watch reality TV, but it's like soaps, people get caught up in the drama of other people's lives. gotta admit, I do sometimes watch "what not to wear" on TLC for pure entertainment value.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.