Hobo[IG leader]

Jun 18, 2005
Melbourne, Australia (Brunswick maaaaate)
✟7,847.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Anyone here a mega Metallica fan?? (Well not mega, more their later stuff...)

Can anyone give me an unbiased opinion of St. Anger?? Most people tell me it sucks, but all those people are the kind who view Metallica as thrash metal psychos. As I came to love Metallica from their later works, I view them in a very different way.

So...worth buying? Just you have to get some dodgey DVD version here that costs $40 and I don't really wanna pay that much for something that might not be any good?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks,
Hobo

Asse

May 30, 2005
Visit site
✟15,156.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A Review of St.-Anger

From the first to the last song Metallica rocks on this album. Once you are used to the snare-drums of Lars Ulrich you love it. They rock like they did on the Black Album. Okay, they are a bit commercial but hey: who gives a thing if you can headbang for about an hour.
I don't have the DVD-version but the music speaks for itself. The album is burned in my cd-player and is well worth his price.
The best songs: all of them. I haven't heard such a great album since "Lateralus" by Tool.

Oh, at first I didn't like it but after a second listening I realised how great it was.

Upvote 0

MetalBlade

Defender of the Faith
Feb 23, 2003
Bowling Green, Ohio
Visit site
✟2,632.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am pretty big Metallica fan. Grew up with them, posters on the wall, wanting to be them. I love all their albums up to St. Anger. I don't like it cause they really, really did sell out this time. But musically it sounds awful. Get a copy and have a listen. I mean if you like hard rock that is coming out today, then you might like it. I just plain hate it.

Upvote 0

Hobo[IG leader]

Jun 18, 2005
✟7,847.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Thanks guys I'm going today to buy either St. Anger or Mesmerize (SOAD).

Hey diane just out of interest, why did you dislike them after their war vs Napster. Napster is essentially bad (at the time, when everything was free) as it encourages piracy and theft. Surely them cracking down on Napster could only be a good thing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Taake

Apr 24, 2005
Veldhoven - Noord-Brabant - The Netherlands - Euro
Visit site
✟15,460.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Sava said:
Early Metallica is legendary. Metallica post-'Black-Album' is mass-marketed junk churned out for an ADD audience.

I beg to differ here, I agree with The Sign Of The Fish. Indeed post black album is total garbage, but the early Metallica is overrated as well. Anyone who claims metallica invented Thrash Metal should take a lesson on metal history, Metallica basicly ripped off a band called "Satan" who were at least as good as Me$ellica.

Upvote 0

Higher

Jun 20, 2005
Coatesville PA, USA
✟8,518.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Do yourself a favor and listen to Megadeth. Megadeth and Metallica started to get Mainstream about the same time, but Megadeth stopped before they got too dangerously poppy.

IMO out of the four major American Thrash bands of the time, Metallica was the weakest of the four. Slayer Anthrax and Megadeth are much better...

Upvote 0

Taake

Apr 24, 2005
Visit site
✟15,460.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Megadeth is nothing special either, especially later Megadeth. Same goes for Slayer, although their early stuff was good. The American metalscene has always been overrated, if you want good thrash, go to Germany. Try KREATOR, twice as fast, far rawer, and ten times as aggressive. It's pure energy, on stage and on albums. Besides this leat German thrash band, try Coroner and Vio-Lence. By the way, the word "major" in music usually goes hand in hand with "lame".

Upvote 0

stonetoflesh

reformed librarie-keeper
Apr 20, 2004
Round Rock, TX
✟11,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Taake said:
Megadeth is nothing special either, especially later Megadeth. Same goes for Slayer, although their early stuff was good. The American metalscene has always been overrated, if you want good thrash, go to Germany. Try KREATOR, twice as fast, far rawer, and ten times as aggressive. It's pure energy, on stage and on albums. Besides this leat German thrash band, try Coroner and Vio-Lence.

Oh man, I'm having flashbacks to high school... Vio-lence were one of my favorites!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hobo[IG leader]

Jun 18, 2005
✟7,847.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
OK, time for a few points:

1. I'm not after thrash metal. If I was i'd just go buy some Slipknot or the like. I think most thrash sucks and is exactly the same. Sure a bit of thrash is good but not too much.

2. Pre-Black album isn't really very good...When I listened to Kill 'Em All I couldn't differentiate between individual tracks. Master Of Puppets has some good songs, but I don't like the others much.

3. S&M was so amazingly incredibly good!!!! It's what got me onto Metallica in the first place. It made a lot of songs so much better. Call of the Ktulu is so much better with an orchestra (who's suprised?)! Just checked today, Master or Puppets (S&M) has the highest play count on my iPod, an even 100.

4. What do you reckon he sounds weak???? HE SPENT 6 MONTHS (or was it 12?) IN REHAB TO FIX HIMSELF UP!!!!!! FFS HE WAS ON HARD DRUGS!!!! If that's what it takes to make someone strong, I'd rather have the weak thank you very much.

5. I bought St. Anger and I love it so all you post-Black Album haters nyah :p!! (only $10 too. thats around $7.50 for you americans out there)

Upvote 0

Taake

Apr 24, 2005
Visit site
✟15,460.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Hobo[IG leader] said:
OK, time for a few points:

1. I'm not after thrash metal. If I was i'd just go buy some Slipknot or the like. I think most thrash sucks and is exactly the same. Sure a bit of thrash is good but not too much.

2. Pre-Black album isn't really very good...When I listened to Kill 'Em All I couldn't differentiate between individual tracks. Master Of Puppets has some good songs, but I don't like the others much.

3. S&M was so amazingly incredibly good!!!! It's what got me onto Metallica in the first place. It made a lot of songs so much better. Call of the Ktulu is so much better with an orchestra (who's suprised?)! Just checked today, Master or Puppets (S&M) has the highest play count on my iPod, an even 100.

4. What do you reckon he sounds weak???? HE SPENT 6 MONTHS (or was it 12?) IN REHAB TO FIX HIMSELF UP!!!!!! HE WAS ON HARD DRUGS!!!! If that's what it takes to make someone strong, I'd rather have the weak thank you very much.

5. I bought St. Anger and I love it so all you post-Black Album haters nyah :p!! (only $10 too. thats around $7.50 for you americans out there)
The simple fact that you think Slipknot is thrash metal proves prefectly that you know absolutely NOTHING about metal, and that your opinion is therefore completely worthless to me. I could say this a whole lot nicer, but it might hide the undeniable truth, so I chose not to. I'm getting fed up a bit with people screaming things that confuses folks. This will probably get deleted but I want this said.

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hobo[IG leader] said:
Hey diane just out of interest, why did you dislike them after their war vs Napster. Napster is essentially bad (at the time, when everything was free) as it encourages piracy and theft. Surely them cracking down on Napster could only be a good thing?

I don't think that Napster was bad at all. It is greedy and overpaid musicians (along with actors, directors, etc.) that I think are bad. Again, they are sell-outs, and it's sad because they were a great band :sigh: I really like some of their earlier albums, and my brother's poster is still on my wall.

Sava said:
Metallica post-'Black-Album' is mass-marketed junk churned out for an ADD audience.

Sign Of The Fish said:
IMHO I think Metallica is one of the most overrated bands on this planet.

Agreed.

Diane
:)

Upvote 0