Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, I’ve been Orthodox for over twenty years. Coming in as a middle-aged adult, I was humble enough but excited to join a Church where people maintained the same shared beliefs since the foundation of the Church. For the first new years, as a new convert, learning what was what, how we ought to live, and thinking that I could slowly come to live a more holy life. But before ten years had passed, the first disillusionment happened. The married couples of the parish, one by one, began to divorce, most notably, among women who sang in the choir. I began the translation of Chesterton’s “The Superstition of Divorce”, not being a pastor, but wishing to contribute what was in my power to fight the epidemic. But it didn’t end there. By the 15-year mark, it became clear that many of my fellow Orthodox Christians did not share beliefs which to me had obviously been held by all Christendom up to the end of the 20th century. There were many issues, from small to big, from headcovering to ecumenism. At the time, the liberals stood out most, especially regarding sexual morality, and it seemed self-evident, from Scripture, the fathers, and the historical universal acceptance across Christendom that many stood in need of correction. The issue of the authority to do so became apparent, and it seemed to come down to personal opinion, something I found intolerable and wholly inconsistent with Tradition, and the only form of mediation that seemed authoritative was the consensus of the fathers. If one didn’t accept that, then we were just another bunch of Protestants, deciding for ourselves what “Holy Tradition” was, dividing the word of truth by no means always rightly.

I wound up joining with the traditional-minded members of the church, as they seemed to stand for sanity amidst the chaos of the world that the liberals were bringing into the Church. However, I observed some things that ranged from odd to mildly concerning among the conservatives. Some dreamed of restoring the Tsar and Russian imperialism, others the USSR, and eventually, to my alarm, some turned out to be admirers of Stalin. Eventually I came to realize that people were falling away in different ways from Church teaching, and that hardly anyone shared all of the same beliefs regarding Church teaching and Tradition. Some went so far as to say that all needed to agree only on the Symbol of Faith, which seemed insane to me. At the same time, the other confessions, Catholic and Protestant, were and are falling away even faster. I began to feel as if maybe the Church was not really the Church. But none of my original convictions and knowledge of facts had changed. I simply saw no alternative, and Lewis and Chesterton, who had so thoroughly convinced me of the Faith, were still, so to speak, standing right there.

From the isolation of Covid I had already felt plenty of loneliness and despair, despite praying almost without ceasing. When I had that fateful confrontation with the Stalinists at the end of 2021, those feelings kicked into high gear. When Russia invaded the Ukraine, it was almost too much to bear. I kept a hip flask close by, to “medicate” the worst of it, against Chesterton’s solid advice. When a school offered to hire us in Montenegro (and made promises that, as it turned out, it couldn’t keep regarding how much money we could make), we decided to leave our long home for the duration of the crisis, hoping to return after a year or two when things settled down. We were driven by fear of having our son conscripted to fight a war we opposed, and the fact of my being American might make me a target of some ambitious ”civil servant” sooner or later willing to frame something on me to advance his career, among other things. For a short time, the change really did me good. But as it became clear that we weren’t being paid enough to fully support ourselves, and I was putting in 40 hours a week in class, and it was killing me. Not having a confessor I could really talk to, let alone a spiritual father, made things worse. But in fleeing the crazy conservatives, so to speak, I found myself among the liberals that had driven me into the conservatives’ arms in the first place, and they likewise were not monolith in their beliefs, though they did have broad trends in common, some of which I still found unacceptable. I learned to keep most of my thoughts to myself, and to talk to no one about my thoughts and feelings. With all men being on the average twenty years younger than me, along with the other issues of native language and personal interests, finding friends proved impossible. So spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, I found myself completely on my own, responsible for a wife and children, but not really part of any community. The Church, for me, turned out to be an institution that can offer the Sacraments, but fellowship was no longer on the table. When the nation changed its laws and rules for immigrants, and quadrupled and back-dated our taxes, we lost our residency and legal status.

Even here, it feels like there is little left to say, as if everything has been said and now we are all waiting, waiting… for what? The Second Coming? I wish. In some ways, I suppose it seems like the hand of God is still working. We are miraculously being left alone, no authorities seek us out or trouble us. But we live day to day, with no particular hope, just trying to make it to tomorrow. Where is the Church? I don’t know. I’m just going to go to church on Sundays, take Communion and confess when I can, and hope that God will deliver us.

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm really sorry to read this, Rus. Terrible. Leaving the United States has been a difficult journey for you. It's an isolating experience to leave one's country. Just in the mere 3 times I've had to go to the Philippines to be around my wife's family and "former world," I felt like a total alien....like Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. It was awful. The sense of humor, the attitudes, the personalities, the interests, the dynamics, utterly foreign. And that's just been little moments. You've had to live it for years, decades.....

I wish this war would end. NATO and the globalists want this war to continue, fight to the last Ukrainian. In the end it's about crushing Russia, weakening Orthodoxy, gaining a stronger foothold in the region, and the military-industrial complex, as always. Russia is not without sin either. But it's just awful.

Financially my wife and I are kicking total butt, but health-wise, the last five years have been awful. Very very trying, very frustrating...and, at times, down right scary. I never left the U.S., but I feel like the U.S. left me. It's no longer Western. Where I live it's basically Mexico. And I'm not saying that humorously or with hyperbole. It truly has become a third world state. Mexican venders even in my own middle class neighborhood selling elote (corn) and honking horns....loud mariachi music, Spanish everywhere.....and homeless, drug addicts, and left winger LGBT have conquered this once-beautiful state. It's not America. It's not California. It's third world and descending into an abyss. I feel bad raising kids into this Omega Man Soylent Greenish world.

The world is going to hell in a hand basket. Teaching here is a true type of purgatory. It's a grey, sad, empty institution of feelings, emotions, mental health, and more feelings. You're "doing a good job" if the kids and parents like you. You're "a good teacher" if you don't rock the boat. If you keep everyone feeling warm fuzzies, you're good to go. Challenge anyone, encourage critical thinking, try to get kids to dream big and reach out of the comfort zone....you're "triggering anxieties" and it all comes falling down. Apathy is the only solution, in the end. New teachers are bailing after one year saying "screw this." Older teachers are bailing in droves. Some are just leaving the profession 20 years into it and choosing oblivion over this.

It's a mess, brother. A mess.

I truly Thank God for my Orthodox parish. It's an oasis each week from the melancholy, the grind, the uselessness, and fatigue of the world I swim in all week. The sacraments are what sustain me.

All I can say is that you're being tested....heavily. God never gives us a test we cannot endure. I just tell myself there are worse endeavors and trials than I'm suffering with my health issues. God has a plan for you all, but it's a tough road ahead. Everyone hear needs to pray of for you all. Much love, brother. Please IM me and let's chat if you need a shoulder....

Reader Joseph

Well, I’ve been Orthodox for over twenty years. Coming in as a middle-aged adult, I was humble enough but excited to join a Church where people maintained the same shared beliefs since the foundation of the Church. For the first new years, as a new convert, learning what was what, how we ought to live, and thinking that I could slowly come to live a more holy life. But before ten years had passed, the first disillusionment happened. The married couples of the parish, one by one, began to divorce, most notably, among women who sang in the choir. I began the translation of Chesterton’s “The Superstition of Divorce”, not being a pastor, but wishing to contribute what was in my power to fight the epidemic. But it didn’t end there. By the 15-year mark, it became clear that many of my fellow Orthodox Christians did not share beliefs which to me had obviously been held by all Christendom up to the end of the 20th century. There were many issues, from small to big, from headcovering to ecumenism. At the time, the liberals stood out most, especially regarding sexual morality, and it seemed self-evident, from Scripture, the fathers, and the historical universal acceptance across Christendom that many stood in need of correction. The issue of the authority to do so became apparent, and it seemed to come down to personal opinion, something I found intolerable and wholly inconsistent with Tradition, and the only form of mediation that seemed authoritative was the consensus of the fathers. If one didn’t accept that, then we were just another bunch of Protestants, deciding for ourselves what “Holy Tradition” was, dividing the word of truth by no means always rightly.

I wound up joining with the traditional-minded members of the church, as they seemed to stand for sanity amidst the chaos of the world that the liberals were bringing into the Church. However, I observed some things that ranged from odd to mildly concerning among the conservatives. Some dreamed of restoring the Tsar and Russian imperialism, others the USSR, and eventually, to my alarm, some turned out to be admirers of Stalin. Eventually I came to realize that people were falling away in different ways from Church teaching, and that hardly anyone shared all of the same beliefs regarding Church teaching and Tradition. Some went so far as to say that all needed to agree only on the Symbol of Faith, which seemed insane to me. At the same time, the other confessions, Catholic and Protestant, were and are falling away even faster. I began to feel as if maybe the Church was not really the Church. But none of my original convictions and knowledge of facts had changed. I simply saw no alternative, and Lewis and Chesterton, who had so thoroughly convinced me of the Faith, were still, so to speak, standing right there.

From the isolation of Covid I had already felt plenty of loneliness and despair, despite praying almost without ceasing. When I had that fateful confrontation with the Stalinists at the end of 2021, those feelings kicked into high gear. When Russia invaded the Ukraine, it was almost too much to bear. I kept a hip flask close by, to “medicate” the worst of it, against Chesterton’s solid advice. When a school offered to hire us in Montenegro (and made promises that, as it turned out, it couldn’t keep regarding how much money we could make), we decided to leave our long home for the duration of the crisis, hoping to return after a year or two when things settled down. We were driven by fear of having our son conscripted to fight a war we opposed, and the fact of my being American might make me a target of some ambitious ”civil servant” sooner or later willing to frame something on me to advance his career, among other things. For a short time, the change really did me good. But as it became clear that we weren’t being paid enough to fully support ourselves, and I was putting in 40 hours a week in class, and it was killing me. Not having a confessor I could really talk to, let alone a spiritual father, made things worse. But in fleeing the crazy conservatives, so to speak, I found myself among the liberals that had driven me into the conservatives’ arms in the first place, and they likewise were not monolith in their beliefs, though they did have broad trends in common, some of which I still found unacceptable. I learned to keep most of my thoughts to myself, and to talk to no one about my thoughts and feelings. With all men being on the average twenty years younger than me, along with the other issues of native language and personal interests, finding friends proved impossible. So spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, I found myself completely on my own, responsible for a wife and children, but not really part of any community. The Church, for me, turned out to be an institution that can offer the Sacraments, but fellowship was no longer on the table. When the nation changed its laws and rules for immigrants, and quadrupled and back-dated our taxes, we lost our residency and legal status.

Even here, it feels like there is little left to say, as if everything has been said and now we are all waiting, waiting… for what? The Second Coming? I wish. In some ways, I suppose it seems like the hand of God is still working. We are miraculously being left alone, no authorities seek us out or trouble us. But we live day to day, with no particular hope, just trying to make it to tomorrow. Where is the Church? I don’t know. I’m just going to go to church on Sundays, take Communion and confess when I can, and hope that God will deliver us.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We were driven by fear of having our son conscripted to fight a war we opposed, and the fact of my being American might make me a target of some ambitious ”civil servant” sooner or later willing to frame something on me to advance his career, among other things.
For what it is worth, the last of the immigrants in my family came from my great-great-grandfather. He was a Bavarian Catholic who in the late 1890s did not want his sons fighting in the Lutheran kaiser's army. First he immigrated, then the grown sons, then the rest of the family. A hundred years later, here I am.
I understand a similar frustration, Rus. Here in the DC area you have White Russians and far-right American converts who think that Putin's "special military operation" is a crusade against every evil in the world when frankly the very people they fight are produced partially because Orthodox people forget the Orthodox victims of Russian chauvinism. The schismatics and nationalists in Ukraine were not formed in a vacuum; they too are a reaction to something else just as much as the equally misguided American converts who think that Russia is some Orthodox utopia as both Putin and Patriarch Kyrill have clergy defrocked along with imprisoning and killing people simply for saying "war bad".

And then on another part of town you have people who think that a female diaconate is somehow going to fix whatever gender disparity they think exists in the Church and that "gay marriage" is a good idea. All the while you have the silent majority who simply want to pray, work out their salvation, and hope that the Church and the people within it are sane enough that their kids will still be Orthodox as adults. Most of the time, I think all we can do is go on Sundays, take Communion, confess, and hope that God will deliver us.

I wish this war would end. NATO and the globalists want this war to continue, fight to the last Ukrainian. In the end it's about crushing Russia, weakening Orthodoxy, gaining a stronger foothold in the region, and the military-industrial complex, as always. Russia is not without sin either. But it's just awful.
If anything, Russia and her patriarch have done more to weaken Orthodoxy than anyone else, but that's another story for another thread. Actually, no; there's enough discord in the world, why should we contribute to it?

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟456,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans 8 38-39

For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

• Prayers
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Romans 8 38-39

For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
There are times when a man, a weak, ordinary man, needs a little more than that. Times when such quotes come across as unintentionally condescending, as spoken to suffering people by those who have not truly suffered. At such times, quotes even from Scripture are not enough.

• Agree
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟456,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are times when a man, a weak, ordinary man, needs a little more than that. Times when such quotes come across as unintentionally condescending, as spoken to suffering people by those who have not truly suffered. At such times, quotes even from Scripture are not enough.

Upvote 0