Matthew 22:30 = Unfair To Perpetual Singles?

HannahElizaW

God Says It, THAT Settles It!
Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Tell that to those with disabilities that prevent them from doing so, those who try but keep getting rejected, etc.
Both my father and mother had disabilities. One's reproductive organs wouldn't allow to bear children from whatever had, to a degree, destructed it; and the other went through cancer and had numerous and understandable "faults".

Out of that standpoint elected me. Since childbirth (I'm the firstborn) I have had operations and surgeries galore. I was "diagnosed" with Spontaneous Genetic Mutation Disorder (SGMD) when I was young. I was born with a crippled pinky on my left hand..I personally believe it was cause of the mutation in an essence that I had "more bone than skin" so my finger is always curled and there's stitches from the operation when I was, I think, 2 years of age.

When I was 3, the doctors noticed a cyst growing in my left jawline, and when I was 5, I went through another operation where they had to take out several teeth including my wisdom tooth, a canine, and some molars.. they had to empty the fluid from the cyst and operated it to a degree to where I am unable to "grow" more teeth in that specific area.

With SGMD I went through early stages of puberty at the age of 7(-ish) and didn't "properly" finish until I was about 9-10. Can you imagine being in the 4th/5th grade and being teased with names such as Cyclops or Ogre because the average height that stemmed to the majority of my grade at that time was 4"8 and I was at least 5"4..?! Not only that, but I undergone simple puberty traits and was lead to other illnesses.

I had acne, warts, and moles growing. I battled skin tags, I kid you not, and had multiple surgeries to remove them. When I was 12 I battled Acid Reflux that was more severe than people could imagine hence my esophagus produced more of the "bad breath" symptom than I wish I could handle. My right eye has an astigmatism and my left eye could be legally "blind" for all we know.

With the growth spurt, came big feet. Keep in mind I'm a girl, right?, and the average shoe size for an american woman is anywhere between 6-9. I wear, of course, 13-W in men's.

As of today, I suffer from Basal Cell Nevis Syndrome, and have been battling Basal Cell Skin Cancer since 10/10/2013. I was officially diagnosed with Obessive Compulsive Disorder, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder back in December 2014, and would've been diagnosed with Major Depression Disorder if it wasn't for my dad being strongly against have the D-word (depression) on my 'file', per se.

From what I explained to you, can you imagine what I look like? I'm a 17 year old with acne, a weird looking eye, missing teeth, constant bad breath no matter how much or how severe I brush, cancer on the outside of both her eyes, a "crippled" pinky that doesn't flex properly, feet so big I have to mostly shop for shoes in the men's isle, and is constantly worried and anxious due to her mental illnesses. Is that unbearable to imagine? What would you think of me if you saw me? It wouldn't be pleasent would it?

Now.. if God wants you to get married, then by all means you should do it. Forcing Him or getting mad at Him really won't do much.. and I respect your attempts at getting attention, but maybe you're taking a wrong approach at it? I won't give you "love advice" since I'm asexual and would just recommend watching Prince of Egypt again and again and again, but I do suggest looking into the verses in 1 Corinthians 7:32-33.

In my walks with God, and the constant stem of people saying "a life without marriage sounds depressing", I think those verses help, and they might even help you, if you wish..

Again, to me, the "perpetual single" sounds okay to me for obvious reasons but a life lived for Christ, doesn't mean a life for Christ + 1, and that is a benefactor when we go to heaven. When you get to heaven, reproducing is no longer a necessity..or want...or desire.. we'll all be brothers and sisters focusing on the One we all love (or should love) more than anything or anyone else. Earth is a good place to practice that :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

AntiVillain

Jul 20, 2014
✟151,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a little late to this thread. But there's no need to be concerned about sex.

Matthew 22:30 is just stating that all marriage vows will no longer apply in the new life, the new earth. Everyone will be allow to remarry whoever they want. One man with one woman.

The reason is because you have/had marriages where guys had multiple wives like Jacob. You had widows that remarried and in their lifetime had two or more husbands. And for the many other reasons as well, the marriage vow will be broken to allow a marriage between one man to one woman, for all eternity. God's original plan will always stay intact and never change. He's not changing anything in the next life, all He's doing is restoring the old: the original planned set in the garden before the fall. The only thing that's changing is what happened the last 6000 years after the fall of mankind.

Don't worry. God has it all figured out. We just don't always know God's plan in advance, and sometimes jump to a wrong conclusion....thanks to the devil. But just know this. His plan is perfect as He is. "My thoughts are not your thoughts ~ Isaiah 55:8" He's not removing those desires He gave us in the beginning.

Happy 4th of July too.

A sensible, non-judgmental answer for once.

Both my father and mother had disabilities. One's reproductive organs wouldn't allow to bear children from whatever had, to a degree, destructed it; and the other went through cancer and had numerous and understandable "faults".

Out of that standpoint elected me. Since childbirth (I'm the firstborn) I have had operations and surgeries galore. I was "diagnosed" with Spontaneous Genetic Mutation Disorder (SGMD) when I was young. I was born with a crippled pinky on my left hand..I personally believe it was cause of the mutation in an essence that I had "more bone than skin" so my finger is always curled and there's stitches from the operation when I was, I think, 2 years of age.

When I was 3, the doctors noticed a cyst growing in my left jawline, and when I was 5, I went through another operation where they had to take out several teeth including my wisdom tooth, a canine, and some molars.. they had to empty the fluid from the cyst and operated it to a degree to where I am unable to "grow" more teeth in that specific area.

With SGMD I went through early stages of puberty at the age of 7(-ish) and didn't "properly" finish until I was about 9-10. Can you imagine being in the 4th/5th grade and being teased with names such as Cyclops or Ogre because the average height that stemmed to the majority of my grade at that time was 4"8 and I was at least 5"4..?! Not only that, but I undergone simple puberty traits and was lead to other illnesses.

I had acne, warts, and moles growing. I battled skin tags, I kid you not, and had multiple surgeries to remove them. When I was 12 I battled Acid Reflux that was more severe than people could imagine hence my esophagus produced more of the "bad breath" symptom than I wish I could handle. My right eye has an astigmatism and my left eye could be legally "blind" for all we know.

With the growth spurt, came big feet. Keep in mind I'm a girl, right?, and the average shoe size for an american woman is anywhere between 6-9. I wear, of course, 13-W in men's.

As of today, I suffer from Basal Cell Nevis Syndrome, and have been battling Basal Cell Skin Cancer since 10/10/2013. I was officially diagnosed with Obessive Compulsive Disorder, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder back in December 2014, and would've been diagnosed with Major Depression Disorder if it wasn't for my dad being strongly against have the D-word (depression) on my 'file', per se.

From what I explained to you, can you imagine what I look like? I'm a 17 year old with acne, a weird looking eye, missing teeth, constant bad breath no matter how much or how severe I brush, cancer on the outside of both her eyes, a "crippled" pinky that doesn't flex properly, feet so big I have to mostly shop for shoes in the men's isle, and is constantly worried and anxious due to her mental illnesses. Is that unbearable to imagine? What would you think of me if you saw me? It wouldn't be pleasent would it?

Now.. if God wants you to get married, then by all means you should do it. Forcing Him or getting mad at Him really won't do much.. and I respect your attempts at getting attention, but maybe you're taking a wrong approach at it? I won't give you "love advice" since I'm asexual and would just recommend watching Prince of Egypt again and again and again, but I do suggest looking into the verses in 1 Corinthians 7:32-33.

In my walks with God, and the constant stem of people saying "a life without marriage sounds depressing", I think those verses help, and they might even help you, if you wish..

Again, to me, the "perpetual single" sounds okay to me for obvious reasons but a life lived for Christ, doesn't mean a life for Christ + 1, and that is a benefactor when we go to heaven. When you get to heaven, reproducing is no longer a necessity..or want...or desire.. we'll all be brothers and sisters focusing on the One we all love (or should love) more than anything or anyone else. Earth is a good place to practice that :)

So if one missed out on Earth, will God at least grant them artificial memories so they'll still know what it would've been like?

Upvote 0

HannahElizaW

God Says It, THAT Settles It!
Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
So if one missed out on Earth, will God at least grant them artificial memories so they'll still know what it would've been like?
:dontcare: I dunno. I'm not Him. That's a question you'd might have to ask when you get there..

Upvote 0

AntiVillain

Jul 20, 2014
✟151,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
In the end, I'm sticking to believing there's more to Matthew 22:30 than meets the eye.

You can argue with me all you want, but taking that verse at face value only discourages me, whereas the idea of romance and intimacy continuing throughout eternity enables me to retain hope for Heaven / the New Earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,689.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the end, I'm sticking to believing there's more to Matthew 22:30 than meets the eye.

You can argue with me all you want, but taking that verse at face value only discourages me, whereas the idea of romance and intimacy continuing throughout eternity enables me to retain hope for Heaven / the New Earth.

That's why one must take all scripture into complete context and not make interpretations based on "that verse at face value."

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

*There are still people who select their spouses from
mail order bride type services...we know several men
who have done that...and I know two women who
went the unconventional route to get married.

Upvote 0

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven."

So anyone who never has the chance in this life will be out of luck in the New Earth as well? If God promises to repay believers for all their troubles and/or missed opportunities, then what about that? If anything, that verse seems like it could pressure some otherwise-faithful singles to commit fornication ('May as well experience it now, while there's still time. Besides, God will forgive me, right?').

Or does that verse simply mean NE relationships will be like what Adam and Eve originally had---lacking any marriage-related legalism?

that is thing, once we left this body behind, we would no longer carnal desires such as desire for physical intimacy that way.

it's hard to imagine, I know, but scripture says it is true

so I am sure when we get there, we'd like " why do I struggle with it for so long only to find I don't want it!"

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
that is thing, once we left this body behind, we would no longer carnal desires such as desire for physical intimacy that way.
That assumes the "carnal" desire for "physical intimacy" is somehow bad or wrong.

BTW - we do NOT leave our body behind. We may be separated from it for a while at death, but get it back in the resurrection.
it's hard to imagine, I know, but scripture says it is true
I would submit that is a misunderstanding or misapplication of the scriptures in question.

Upvote 0

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That assumes the "carnal" desire for "physical intimacy" is somehow bad or wrong.

BTW - we do NOT leave our body behind. We may be separated from it for a while at death, but get it back in the resurrection.

I would submit that is a misunderstanding or misapplication of the scriptures in question.

sorry my mistake

though I don't recall saying desire for intimacy is wrong

I was just saying we wont feel the need

"At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven"

though you can continue to have sex if you really wanted to, you just wont find anyone to do it with

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We will have new bodies to fully equip us live here in a renewed earth. Eden will resume and be wonderfully surpassed. Marriage as we know it now will be superceded by something far grander and fulfilling. Our humanity wil be expanded, not replaced.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven"
In the language of the day that means no new marriages. It says nothing about what happens with existing marriages. (even though that was the question that prompted this response) Marrying = the groom. Given in marriage = the bride.

And then there has been an entire doctrine of angelic anatomy based on this one verse that says they do not have genital organs. Where is that found exactly? It goes on to say that it is impossible for an angel to marry. Just because the ones in heaven do not, does not mean they are incapable. It also says nothing about fallen angels; but is stretched to include them also.

Please objectively determine what the text is saying; and just as importantly, what it is NOT saying.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Dahlin

Nov 10, 2020
Fairmont
✟14,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've never thought of it as a place or state for missed opportunities that's interesting. I guess that's more of a reincarnation type line of thinking, what you missed or didn't learn in this life would be a second chance in the next life. Except the next life is forever so you'd have to learn a lot of lessons and stack up a lot of experience that you regretted not doing here and there is no regret in the new Heaven and the new Earth so it seems a bit unnecessary?
What about Windows 2000? Uh... that's good "compensation" topic for another thread.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Dahlin

Nov 10, 2020
Fairmont
✟14,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the language of the day that means no new marriages. It says nothing about what happens with existing marriages. (even though that was the question that prompted this response) Marrying = the groom. Given in marriage = the bride.

And then there has been an entire doctrine of angelic anatomy based on this one verse that says they do not have genital organs. Where is that found exactly? It goes on to say that it is impossible for an angel to marry. Just because the ones in heaven do not, does not mean they are incapable. It also says nothing about fallen angels; but is stretched to include them also.

Please objectively determine what the text is saying; and just as importantly, what it is NOT saying.
Here's a link: Can you Fall in Love in Heaven if you Haven’t Found Someone on Earth? Agree or disagree with it? If you disagree, you can post a comment on the site and wait for a reply from Lee Woofenden.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Dahlin

Nov 10, 2020
Fairmont
✟14,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's a link: Can you Fall in Love in Heaven if you Haven’t Found Someone on Earth? Agree or disagree with it? If you disagree, you can post a comment on the site and wait for a reply from Lee Woofenden.
Either ev

Either everyone should be married or no one should be married. That is only fair.
Either everyone should be married or everyone should be single. Otherwise it's unfair to singles.
I have a blog here: My thoughts about sexuality and marriage in heaven

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonathan Dahlin

Nov 10, 2020
Fairmont
✟14,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There will be neither of those in heaven.
Why won't there be either of those in heaven? You'll probably say "You already know the answer." But why can't they exist just for the purpose of pleasure? Because we have Jesus? That doesn't cut it. Saying we don't need sex because we have the presence of God is like saying we don't need food or drink or we don't need animals or we don't need rivers or, trees.
I take it you didn't even read what the blog post says. Read it top to bottom.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,689.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why won't there be either of those in heaven? You'll probably say "You already know the answer." But why can't they exist just for the purpose of pleasure? Because we have Jesus? That doesn't cut it. Saying we don't need sex because we have the presence of God is like saying we don't need food or drink or we don't need animals or we don't need rivers or, trees.
I take it you didn't even read what the blog post says. Read it top to bottom.

The problem with the blog post is that it starts with the proposition of "There is sex in heaven" and then attempts to prove it negatively: "Nothing specifically says there is no sex in heaven."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why won't there be either of those in heaven? You'll probably say "You already know the answer." But why can't they exist just for the purpose of pleasure? Because we have Jesus? That doesn't cut it.
The most obvious reason is that nothing Christ taught and nothing else that we find in the Bible suggests such a thing. But the bigger reason is that you're doing what others have done, which is to assume that heaven is just a better version of Earth. In reality, heaven will be transformative and unlike anything we can imagine.

Saying we don't need sex because we have the presence of God is like saying we don't need food or drink or we don't need animals or we don't need rivers or, trees.[/quote]
Given a few minutes to think on it, isn't it silly to conclude that spirits are going to need to have something identical to the physical parts of their previous fleshy bodies stimulated for eternity in that way, especially when one of the few specifics that we do have in Holy Scripture that deals with this question tells us that there will not be marriages in heaven?

take it you didn't even read what the blog post says. Read it top to bottom.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Jonathan Dahlin

Nov 10, 2020
Fairmont
✟14,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The most obvious reason is that nothing Christ taught and nothing else that we find in the Bible suggests such a thing. But the bigger reason is that you're doing what others have done, which is to assume that heaven is just a better version of Earth. In reality, heaven will be transformative and unlike anything we can imagine.

Saying we don't need sex because we have the presence of God is like saying we don't need food or drink or we don't need animals or we don't need rivers or, trees.
Given a few minutes to think on it, isn't it silly to conclude that spirits are going to need to have something identical to the physical parts of their previous fleshy bodies stimulated for eternity in that way, especially when one of the few specifics that we do have in Holy Scripture that deals with this question tells us that there will not be marriages in heaven?

take it you didn't even read what the blog post says. Read it top to bottom.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Marriage and sex won't be done away with. It will be morphed.

Upvote 0