Matthew 22:30 = Unfair To Perpetual Singles?

AntiVillain

Jul 20, 2014
✟150,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
"For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven."

So anyone who never has the chance in this life will be out of luck in the New Earth as well? If God promises to repay believers for all their troubles and/or missed opportunities, then what about that? If anything, that verse seems like it could pressure some otherwise-faithful singles to commit fornication ('May as well experience it now, while there's still time. Besides, God will forgive me, right?').

Or does that verse simply mean NE relationships will be like what Adam and Eve originally had---lacking any marriage-related legalism?

Reactions: Suzyaussie

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Co 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

The Word doesn't give the impression to a single person to fornicate period. People who fornicate do so because they choose to. God is faithful. If you've ever had a small portion of God's presence, love, joy, peace, etc., then you would at least have a little bit of understanding of what eternity with the Godhead is going to be like. If all you have is a mental assent then I can't help you.

Upvote 0

AntiVillain

Jul 20, 2014
✟150,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Co 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

The Word doesn't give the impression to a single person to fornicate period. People who fornicate do so because they choose to. God is faithful. If you've ever had a small portion of God's presence, love, joy, peace, etc., then you would at least have a little bit of understanding of what eternity with the Godhead is going to be like. If all you have is a mental assent then I can't help you.

Of course the Word doesn't give such impressions.

But some interpret it differently than others.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dont worry about how other people interpret it. If they have the spirit, they'll know what it means, if they don't, they won't.

Nobody is meant take isolated scriptures and ignore the rest of the bible.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven."

So anyone who never has the chance in this life will be out of luck in the New Earth as well? If God promises to repay believers for all their troubles and/or missed opportunities, then what about that? If anything, that verse seems like it could pressure some otherwise-faithful singles to commit fornication ('May as well experience it now, while there's still time. Besides, God will forgive me, right?').

Or does that verse simply mean NE relationships will be like what Adam and Eve originally had---lacking any marriage-related legalism?
So let me get this straight....
You think sex is so important that you would miss out if it wasn't
an activity in the New Kingdom?

Your head is in the wrong place.

We won't need sexual pleasures in heaven because we will find
our fulfillment in the presence of God where there is joy, love and peace
forevermore.

You have your heart set on the things of this world so you think of
God's kingdom in terms of where your heart is now.

Don't try to equate this world with what is to come as the two
are not comparable.

Upvote 0

AntiVillain

Jul 20, 2014
✟150,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
So let me get this straight....
You think sex is so important that you would miss out if it wasn't
an activity in the New Kingdom?

Your head is in the wrong place.

We won't need sexual pleasures in heaven because we will find
our fulfillment in the presence of God where there is joy, love and peace
forevermore.

You have your heart set on the things of this world so you think of
God's kingdom in terms of where your heart is now.

Don't try to equate this world with what is to come as the two
are not comparable.

Judge not, lest you be judged.

And no, I'm not focused on sex; I'm focused on the New Earth supposedly being a place to make up for missed opportunities.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And no, I'm not focused on sex; I'm focused on the New Earth supposedly being a place to make up for missed opportunities.

Where did you read that "New Earth supposedly being a place to make up for missed opportunities?" Or who told you that?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

OTOH, you could read 1 Corinthians 7 as saying that singleness is the preferred life of the Christian and that marriage is for the spiritually weak.

Both would be incorrect interpretations, however, because as someone has already said, you have to read the entire bible in context.

Reactions: yellowMan
Upvote 0

AntiVillain

Jul 20, 2014
✟150,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
To quote one YouTube commenter:

"One more thought. Why would God do that to his own people? Many of these people sacrificed love, personal happiness, marriage and even their safety to follow and serve him, and what will he replay them with? A sexless, marriageless Heaven? Meanwhile, absolute thugs get beautiful women in this life because they're young, good-looking, charming and rich (through questionable means?!). Often these criminals batter, abuse and even kill the women they're blessed with, yet God is going to give his own faithful followers who sacrificed everything to serve him LESS than these human pigs got to have? How cruel and unfair is that?

Also, why would God take away the beauty of his design for male and female only to turn us into some unisex, genderless "it"?"

I wouldn't put it as harshly, but he does raise valid points.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Lots of pagan thinking here.

We are given new bodies suitable for living in a restored earth. We will not be asexual beings, just unmarried as we know that now.
Whatever that means and how that wil be expressed we are not told. But we will experience goodness at every level of our being then. We will lack nothing.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lots of pagan thinking here.

We are given new bodies suitable for living in a restored earth. We will not be asexual beings, just unmarried as we know that now.
Whatever that means and how that wil be expressed we are not told. But we will experience goodness at every level of our being then. We will lack nothing.

John
NZ

Well, that's how I pretty much figure it, Johnnz. In eternal life, everything will be so complete that physical love between man and woman as we mortal humans know it now in our finite and flawed minds will ne'er be necessary. Perhaps we will take joy in each other's presence - not the least of all God's - in a way that is all that much more fulfilling and good, infinitely so, in fact. So even if we suffered as single people forever who never got to know the joy of marriage personally, in the heavens and earth to come I doubt we'll feel any kind of loss (and certainly no yearning) from that anymore. Everything will be taken care of.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
According to the Prophet Isaiah, during the Millennial Kingdom, the earth is restored to its original state, children will be born and lifespans return to what they were prior to the Flood. . . reference: Isaiah 65:17-25.

Rewarded...
Matthew 19:29
"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life."

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My understanding is that with God, you can take the pleasure of an [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], but lasting for as long as you want to. Think of the sensations you naturally feel from sexual stimulation--now multiply them by 1000 and imagine it across your whole body, not bursting or whatever, but just sort of instantly there.

I think we won't need or want sex when we are in Heaven, but our sexuality will stay. It will be glorious and beautiful, and everyone will be able to enjoy it in a pure manner with God--not in the sense that you're "having sex with God", but in the sense that you will have pleasurable feelings, perhaps similar to sexual stimulation, but even more pronounced than humans can give to each other.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, i dont think it would cross childrens minds that sexual relations is anything great. They are so innocent and take pleasure in just sheer living.

I think perhaps in heaven we will be like children..or as the bible says like the angels..it wont cross our minds.

On earth we are incomplete because God made it that way, we not in our glorified bodies. Adam was missing a rib. Our glorious clothing was stripped away, men are told to work, women to bear children, life is hard. Satan uses sex, instead of love making, to tear people apart. The great majority of married people or those in relationships actually dont know how to make love, they just have sex. A lot of divorced women tell me this..it is so unpleasant that they dont want to be with their exes anymore. Or their exes cheat on them.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NewUser777

Aug 31, 2011
✟9,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If anything, that verse seems like it could pressure some otherwise-faithful singles to commit fornication ('May as well experience it now, while there's still time. Besides, God will forgive me, right?').

Fornication enslaves you to another person who has made no commitment to you. Good luck with that.

People who complain about no marriage in heaven really do not understand what heaven is. Heaven is a place all Christians were destined to go before the foundation of the world. It is a place of perfection. It is the only place where real Christians can be truly happy. It is a place filled with God's righteousness, justice, and truth. It is a place devoid of lies and illusion.

Contrast that with our current life on Earth. This world is full of evil, sin, hatred, every sort of unrighteousness imaginable, people using each other for selfish gain, and ruled by flawed human beings. It's extremely unfulfilling.

Even that which is good is not ultimately fulfilling in this life. The best marriage in the world will not ultimately fulfill you. If you think some woman will meet all your needs, you are wrong. It's an illusion. If you think some guy will meet all your needs, you are wrong. It's an illusion.

I've seen the best marriages, or so they seemed, fall apart. It doesn't matter how rich or poor. Famous or obscure. You think some rich guy who gets everything they want has it great? Only they truly know how empty they are. They've had hundreds of women? So what. If they don't know Christ, they're going to hell. Don't envy them.

Yes, marriage is a good thing, to the right person. Unfortunately, there seems to be a dirth of right people these days. We are lonely and want someone to live our lives with.

In Heaven, we will be complete as we are. We will be Christ's and He will be ours. We will experience the love of God at point blank range. No more seeing through the glass darkly. No more separation. We will be presented to Christ as the bride of Christ. That is what we were born for.

We cannot know what that truly feels like, but it will be 1000 times better than anything this present life has to offer.

Only God Almighty can fulfill the human soul. Heaven is a place of ultimate fulfillment because it is filled with the presence of the Lord. Those who aren't destined for heaven don't understand this. They don't care about the things of God, and don't want them.

If you do not understand this, keep living. If you think the things of this world are great and the epitome of fulfillment, including marriage, keep living. Life will teach you otherwise. At the end of your life, if you love the world more than God, you won't make it. If you love the things of the world, you haven't learned your lessons.

Upvote 0

AntiVillain

Jul 20, 2014
✟150,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Fornication enslaves you to another person who has made no commitment to you. Good luck with that.

People who complain about no marriage in heaven really do not understand what heaven is. Heaven is a place all Christians were destined to go before the foundation of the world. It is a place of perfection. It is the only place where real Christians can be truly happy. It is a place filled with God's righteousness, justice, and truth. It is a place devoid of lies and illusion.

Contrast that with our current life on Earth. This world is full of evil, sin, hatred, every sort of unrighteousness imaginable, people using each other for selfish gain, and ruled by flawed human beings. It's extremely unfulfilling.

Even that which is good is not ultimately fulfilling in this life. The best marriage in the world will not ultimately fulfill you. If you think some woman will meet all your needs, you are wrong. It's an illusion. If you think some guy will meet all your needs, you are wrong. It's an illusion.

I've seen the best marriages, or so they seemed, fall apart. It doesn't matter how rich or poor. Famous or obscure. You think some rich guy who gets everything they want has it great? Only they truly know how empty they are. They've had hundreds of women? So what. If they don't know Christ, they're going to hell. Don't envy them.

Yes, marriage is a good thing, to the right person. Unfortunately, there seems to be a dirth of right people these days. We are lonely and want someone to live our lives with.

In Heaven, we will be complete as we are. We will be Christ's and He will be ours. We will experience the love of God at point blank range. No more seeing through the glass darkly. No more separation. We will be presented to Christ as the bride of Christ. That is what we were born for.

We cannot know what that truly feels like, but it will be 1000 times better than anything this present life has to offer.

Only God Almighty can fulfill the human soul. Heaven is a place of ultimate fulfillment because it is filled with the presence of the Lord. Those who aren't destined for heaven don't understand this. They don't care about the things of God, and don't want them.

If you do not understand this, keep living. If you think the things of this world are great and the epitome of fulfillment, including marriage, keep living. Life will teach you otherwise. At the end of your life, if you love the world more than God, you won't make it. If you love the things of the world, you haven't learned your lessons.

1. I'm actually male.

2. Yeah, because accusing someone is always the best way to respond to their concerns... :ahah:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Matthew 22:30 begins with the word 'For', linking it to the preceding verse:

Mat 22:29-30 KJV
(29) Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
(30) For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

the word 'unfair' can never apply to God in my thinking; every time i've seen something in His word that seemed unfair, i assumed i just didn't understand it.

if you've ever been married for any length of time, i'd think you'd know that there are certain aspects of marriage that wouldn't fit into a 'paradise' scenario; many married people may well rejoice throughout all eternity if marriage is not in His plan for the next life :)

the true love that exits between a husband and wife in this life is from God, because only He is love; His love in this life is experienced through sustained faith in His word, in the next life we will know Him face to face - we will know Love face to face - there will be no lack of experiential Love in the next life. God knows more about what makes us happy than we do; so i can only assume that His plan for us in the next life will be without any downsides.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

DimEyesOpenHeart

Rookie on the Rock
Jun 16, 2015
England
✟8,275.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Interesting interpretation. What God originally created and what he will bring forth will be better than anything we know and can experience in this limited capcity. There is no need for marriage in the new kingdom because we will be one with Him in bliss. Being perpetually single on earth is a highly privilaged gift to receive!

Upvote 0

DimEyesOpenHeart

Rookie on the Rock
Jun 16, 2015
England
✟8,275.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I've never thought of it as a place or state for missed opportunities that's interesting. I guess that's more of a reincarnation type line of thinking, what you missed or didn't learn in this life would be a second chance in the next life. Except the next life is forever so you'd have to learn a lot of lessons and stack up a lot of experience that you regretted not doing here and there is no regret in the new Heaven and the new Earth so it seems a bit unnecessary?

Upvote 0