✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
25 kai ouk eginwsken authn ewV ou eteken uion:

(pardon the lettering, it happened when I pasted it from this site: http://www.greekbible.com/index.php )

My question is what are the possible meanings for eginosken? (Epsilon, gamma, iota, nu, omega, sigma, kappa, epsilon, nu) I don't have a good lexicon/dictionary with me and was wondering about this phrase. Some Bible translators like to translate it as "sexual relations", while some just say knew or union. Thanks for your help in advance!

God Bless,
-james

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
GIVWSKW here 3rd person singular imperfect verb. Base meaning is "to know" and several variations of that (come to know, learn, ascertain, find out, understand, comprehend, perceive, notice, realize - see BAGD, pp. 160-1 - I don't have the BDAG version yet; since mine is an autographed copy by Danker, I hate to part with it).

But there is one use # 5 in BAGD, p. 161, which is "euphemism for sexual relations". Consider the LXX use in Gen. 4:1, 17; 1 Kings 1:19, Judith 16:22; Judges 11:39; 21:12.

In NT two verses: Matt. 1:25 and Luke 1:34. Also, the imperfect would suggest something that normally went on in the past, perhaps in the sense, he was not "in the habit of knowing her"

Upvote 0

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
filosofer said:
GIVWSKW here 3rd person singular imperfect verb. Base meaning is "to know" and several variations of that (come to know, learn, ascertain, find out, understand, comprehend, perceive, notice, realize - see BAGD, pp. 160-1 - I don't have the BDAG version yet; since mine is an autographed copy by Danker, I hate to part with it).

But there is one use # 5 in BAGD, p. 161, which is "euphemism for sexual relations". Consider the LXX use in Gen. 4:1, 17; 1 Kings 1:19, Judith 16:22; Judges 11:39; 21:12.

In NT two verses: Matt. 1:25 and Luke 1:34. Also, the imperfect would suggest something that normally went on in the past, perhaps in the sense, he was not "in the habit of knowing her"
Thank-you Filo

-James

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Jvac

You may wish to listen to a webcast here at :

http://www.straitgate.com/aom/dl/03.htm

November 18th 2003

Where this word and the new 4th ED. of BDAG is disscused and read right from the work it self.

Peace to u,

Bill

Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟22,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sapphyre said:
Now I must start studying Greek to keep up with you on this thread! :)
If I could only speak every language. . .oh. . .wait. . .but wouldn't that cause the same problem as when everybody spoke one and built the tower of Babel. Okay, maybe not for ONE person. . .but, still. . .

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0

StarSapphire

Joyfully we adore Him!
Nov 28, 2004
Northern California
✟11,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
KagomeShuko said:
If I could only speak every language. . .oh. . .wait. . .but wouldn't that cause the same problem as when everybody spoke one and built the tower of Babel. Okay, maybe not for ONE person. . .but, still. . .

Stein Auf!
Bridget

It seems English is becoming a universal language. It is taught in a lot of countries in their schools. Traveling in Europe is usually no problem, and learning English is a common business practice for an International business community. Also technology is requiring it. Guess you don't have to. :)

Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟22,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sapphyre said:
It seems English is becoming a universal language. It is taught in a lot of countries in their schools. Traveling in Europe is usually no problem, and learning English is a common business practice for an International business community. Also technology is requiring it. Guess you don't have to. :)
:) Ah, but not every person knows English, which, I'm sure is good. Nor do we all have complete understand of our own English language! That's hard enough! LOL :D

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0

Organist

Hammond A102
Nov 12, 2004
California
✟12,880.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
KagomeShuko said:
:) Ah, but not every person knows English, which, I'm sure is good. Nor do we all have complete understand of our own English language! That's hard enough! LOL :D

Stein Auf!
Bridget

I hear ya there! I barely can keep up with it all. :) I do have my dictionary handy, always.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.