✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Father Rick said:
Arguments of cloning aside... scripture is clear that Jesus must be a descendant of David, that He must be from the tribe of Judah, etc. If Jesus was in no way biologically related to Mary (or Joseph-although it is understood that Joseph was not the biological father) then Jesus would NOT be qualified to be Messiah, since He would not fulfill the prophecies.

Additionally, the scriptures say that Mary would "conceive, and bear a son" (Luke 1:31). Conception is when an egg is fertilized-- not when a foreign object is implanted.

So you are saying Mary was not a surrogate right?

Upvote 0

Prosperity

Oct 18, 2005
Kansas
✟902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Catholic's do pray to Mary.

Hail Mary, full of grace.
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Prosperity said:
Catholic's do pray to Mary.

This is true, Catholics (as well as Orthodox, Anglican, Copts, some Lutherans and others)do pray to Mary in exactly the same sense as the Ethiopian eunuch prayed to Philip.
Ac 8:34 - Show Context And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
And the way Paul prayed to the soldiers guarding him after his shipwreck
Ac 27:34 - Show Context Wherefore I pray you to take some meat: for this is for your health: for there shall not an hair fall from the head of any of you.
And how Paul and his companions prayed to the Church in Corinth
2Co 5:20 - Show Context Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Upvote 0

PastorMike

Newry Christian Centre
Oct 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟26,530.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Rev Rick said:
Arguments of cloning aside... scripture is clear that Jesus must be a descendant of David, that He must be from the tribe of Judah, etc. If Jesus was in no way biologically related to Mary (or Joseph-although it is understood that Joseph was not the biological father) then Jesus would NOT be qualified to be Messiah, since He would not fulfill the prophecies.

Additionally, the scriptures say that Mary would "conceive, and bear a son" (Luke 1:31). Conception is when an egg is fertilized-- not when a foreign object is implanted.

Just because Mary was the mother of Jesus doesn't make her the mother of God...

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

This verse speaks of Jesus dual nature...the child who was born was his humanity which Mary was the mother of...the son who was given refers to his deity as deity cannot be born his deity was given...eg Jesus was called Jesus of Nazareth...deity didn't come from Nazareth he came from Heaven but his humanity did come from Nazareth...

So his humanity came from Mary...child was born...and his deity came from His Father from Heaven...

Upvote 0

PastorMike

Newry Christian Centre
Oct 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟26,530.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Rev Rick said:
This is true, Catholics (as well as Orthodox, Anglican, Copts, some Lutherans and others)do pray to Mary in exactly the same sense as the Ethiopian eunuch prayed to Philip.

I can't believe that you would try to take those scriptures out of context...The word pray he is talking about in the context of these verses is just an old english way of making a strong request or to beg, not the same way we talk about praying to the Father...

Rev Rick said:
Ac 8:34 - Show Context And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

1189 deomai (deh'-om-ahee);
middle voice of 1210; to beg (as binding oneself), i.e. petition:
KJV-- beseech, pray (to), make request.

Rev Rick said:
And the way Paul prayed to the soldiers guarding him after his shipwreck

Ac 27:34 - Show Context Wherefore I pray you to take some meat: for this is for your health: for there shall not an hair fall from the head of any of you.
And how Paul and his companions prayed to the Church in Corinth.

3870 parakaleo (par-ak-al-eh'-o);
from 3844 and 2564; to call near, i.e. invite, invoke (by imploration, hortation or consolation):
KJV-- beseech, call for, (be of good) comfort, desire, (give) exhort (-ation), intreat, pray.

Rev Rick said:
And how Paul and his companions prayed to the Church in Corinth

2Co 5:20 - Show Context Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Upvote 0

TreeOfLife

A son of God!
Aug 12, 2005
Alabama, USA
✟9,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Father Rick said:

First, Joseph's lineage is included in the scriptures also. By your line of reasoning that lineage is a lie in the scriptures. Therefore I disagree with you. Scripture does not lie.

Secondly, the word translated "conceived" in the passage you mentioned has both a literal and figurative meaning.

NT:4815
sullambano (sool-lam-ban'-o); from NT:4862 and NT:2983; to clasp, i.e. seize (arrest, capture); specifically, to conceive (literally or figuratively); by implication, to aid:

This topic has no bearing on my walk with the Lord, as I have no traditions to defend, however; I do percieve that it is an explosive subject for some and I do not want to be involved in something angry. So I will bow gracefully out.

Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
PreacherMike said:
I can't believe that you would try to take those scriptures out of context...The word pray he is talking about in the context of these verses is just an old english way of making a strong request or to beg, not the same way we talk about praying to the Father...
[/size][/font]
[/i]

3870 parakaleo (par-ak-al-eh'-o);
from 3844 and 2564; to call near, i.e. invite, invoke (by imploration, hortation or consolation):
KJV-- beseech, call for, (be of good) comfort, desire, (give) exhort (-ation), intreat, pray.

[/i]

I'm not taking them out of context at all... when it comes to "praying" to Mary or any of the saints, one is NOT praying to them the same as praying to the Father, but simply asking them to pray for us. In other words, it is used only in the old English sense of 'to ask' someone something... in this case to ask them to pray for us. If you look at the "Hail Mary" or any of the other such "Prayers to the Saints", it is all about asking them to pray for us. Since they're in heaven communing with God anyway, then why not talk to God about us while they're at it.

With the "Hail Mary" in specific, the first half is just a paraphrase of the angel's annunciation to her, followed by "pray for us"...

This would be a whole different thread however...

Upvote 0

PastorMike

Newry Christian Centre
Oct 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟26,530.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Father Rick said:
I'm not taking them out of context at all... when it comes to "praying" to Mary or any of the saints, one is NOT praying to them the same as praying to the Father, but simply asking them to pray for us. In other words, it is used only in the old English sense of 'to ask' someone something... in this case to ask them to pray for us. If you look at the "Hail Mary" or any of the other such "Prayers to the Saints", it is all about asking them to pray for us. Since they're in heaven communing with God anyway, then why not talk to God about us while they're at it.

With the "Hail Mary" in specific, the first half is just a paraphrase of the angel's annunciation to her, followed by "pray for us"...

That would still be wrong because the scripture teaches us...1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

We are not supposed to pray to anyone but God the Father through Jesus...John 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

Upvote 0

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PreacherMike said:
That would still be wrong because the scripture teaches us...1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Used in this manner it appears you are saying that you can't have anyone pray for you. Is that what you are saying?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Prosperity

Oct 18, 2005
Kansas
✟902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

This is still praying to Mary because it is asking Mary to grant ou favor.

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Prosperity said:
This is still praying to Mary because it is asking Mary to grant ou favor.
In what way?

If I say to a pastor, "Pastor, will you pray for me?" have I asked him to grant me favor, or depended on him for favor? How is that different?

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I have to ask this question. Why feel the need to ask Mary or any other Saint to pray or seek Jesus out for you. Is Jesus just too busy in Heavenly things to hear you own petition? Do you have less connection to the throne room of grace than the Saints? You have the same Spirit of Christ in you, that they do. They just happened to have their flesh die.

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Trish1947 said:
I have to ask this question. Why feel the need to ask Mary or any other Saint to pray or seek Jesus out for you. Is Jesus just too busy in Heavenly things to hear you own petition? Do you have less connection to the throne room of grace than the Saints? You have the same Spirit of Christ in you, that they do. They just happened to have their flesh die.
Excellent question...

The answer is... for the same reason that you may ask a pastor or a prayer partner to pray for you sometimes. Yes, each person has access directly to God. Yes, Jesus hears us when we pray. Yes, God's grace is there for us.

However, there are times when we are just too tired, too 'kaput' to pray for ourselves. Times when we need someone to pray with us and for us (just like a pastor or a prayer partner). While we all can pray for ourselves, there are also times when we all need someone else to pray for us/lift us up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
However, there are times when we are just too tired, too 'kaput' to pray for ourselves. Times when we need someone to pray with us and for us (just like a pastor or a prayer partner). While we all can pray for ourselves, there are also times when we all need someone else to pray for us/lift us up.

But this is what I thought the Spirit desires to do. Is to interceed for us when we are tired or know not what to pray, or are ka-put. By praying in the Holy Ghost. Aren't we to allow the Spirit to interceed for us and it goes directly to God, which seems to bring that breakthough a person seeks, instead of praying the Saints?
Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Is the Spirit bypassed as the intercessor when the Saints are prayed ?

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Trish1947 said:
But this is what I thought the Spirit desires to do. Is to interceed for us when we are tired or know not what to pray, or are ka-put. By praying in the Holy Ghost. Aren't we to allow the Spirit to interceed for us and it goes directly to God, which seems to bring that breakthough a person seeks, instead of praying the Saints?
Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Is the Spirit bypassed as the intercessor when the Saints are prayed ?
Is the Spirit bypassed? No more so than when we pray for one another, as scripture says "...pray for one another that you may be healed..." In other words, not at all.

Upvote 0

PastorMike

Newry Christian Centre
Oct 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟26,530.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Father Rick said:
Excellent question...

The answer is... for the same reason that you may ask a pastor or a prayer partner to pray for you sometimes. Yes, each person has access directly to God. Yes, Jesus hears us when we pray. Yes, God's grace is there for us.

There is a difference, I don't pray to my pastor or to my friends, I will ask them to stand with me in prayer...and we all pray to God together...

We do not pray to dead saints or to anyone else our prayer is to be directed to God throught the name of Jesus and Jesus says the father will answer...

If someone prays to the saints for help it is like they really don't believe that God will hear or answer but if a dead saint prays for them then God will surely hear their prayer...

But Jesus promises that any prayer prayed to the Father in HIS name will be answered...John 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

Upvote 0

TasManOfGod

Untatted Saint
Sep 15, 2003
Tasmania
✟26,515.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I cannot reconcile any prayer style other than what is depicted here:

Eph 5:15
See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
Eph 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

Eph 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Upvote 0

Heinrich

Jul 16, 2003
Western Cape
✟762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exstracts From the Catholic Encyclopedia:
First century:
Seeing that this doctrine is not contained, at least explicitly in the earlier forms of the Apostles' Creed, there is perhaps no ground for surprise if we do not meet with any clear traces of the cultus of the Blessed Virgin in the first Christian centuries.
AD 403:
Hence Epiphanius laid down the rule: "Let Mary be held in honour. Let the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost be adored, but let no one adore Mary"
?
St. Augustine in a famous passage (De nat. et gratis, 36) proclaims Mary's unique privilege of sinlessness
Middle ages:
It seems somewhere in these centuries Our lady's altar becomes available?
Phrases like:
Mary is there called "Mistress of the Heavens, Mother of the Heavenly and earthly Church, Recreation of Life, Mistress of the Tribes, Mother of the Orphans, Breast of the Infants, Queen of Life, Ladder of Heaven." This composition may be as old as the middle of the eighth century.

while Christ is continually referred to as "Jesus Mac Mary" (i.e. Son of Mary).

Later Middle Ages:
Even in Aldhelm's day Our Lady was besought to hearken to the prayers of those who bent the knee before her shrine.

(Also in this time more and more miracles are being claimed regarding Mary. Most of them strange types of things which profits nobody nothing and doesn't give any glory to God)

And by the end of the Middle ages things like a Mary-Mass was "universal"

To me personally it seemed that things changed to atleast some extent over the last 2000 years.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.