Feb 5, 2011
✟250,015.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"His skin was burning," one bystander told the Herald Sun. "He was on fire. His skin is stuck to [my] shirt. He was off his face screaming about the mandates."
Why did they put him out.
It seems he doesn't want humans to interfere in things. No vaccine, probably no masks or lockdowns.
He is probably against putting out fires too, they should have just let the fire run its course, would have been much cheaper on the public health system.

Cautionary note: If you don't like policies, mandates etc, then contact your local politician, or council or what not. Discuss the issue.
If you set yourself on fire then politicians no longer have to worry about winning your vote.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, I'm not willing to say that some dude lighting himself on fire is a fault of the mandate.
I'm sorry, I just don't find that a rational conclusion because that act itself is totally irrational.

Not sure why you chose Florida given DeSantis has made is painfully clear that he has been at the forefront of avoiding all restrictions and lockdown. Florida is lawless when it comes to COVID restrictions. AT least that is what press I've seen out of florida for the last few months. He's prided himself on it even.....

Why would someone go to New York City to escape government tyranny? Talk about being totally irrational! No wonder people are setting themselves on fire!

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,210,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Would Australians setting themselves on fire be one of those better covid outcomes I wonder?

Well, I don't think that rationale completely flies. "Guy may light himself on fire if we pass this law, so we'd better not pass it" can't be part of pragmatic policymaking.

For instance, if a guy says "I don't like that you've made cocaine illegal, so if you don't reverse that restriction, I'm going to hurt myself", we can't reverse cocaine laws to accommodate them.

Sorry, I'm not willing to say that some dude lighting himself on fire is a fault of the mandate.
I'm sorry, I just don't find that a rational conclusion because that act itself is totally irrational.

Not sure why you chose Florida given DeSantis has made is painfully clear that he has been at the forefront of avoiding all restrictions and lockdown. Florida is lawless when it comes to COVID restrictions. AT least that is what press I've seen out of florida for the last few months. He's prided himself on it even.....
Most people aren't as "elite" as Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez to be able to escape such things whenever they feel the need to breathe in crowded areas without a mask after all.

@bekkilyn makes a very fair point on this one about some of the hypocrisy.

...and was something I was actually planning on commenting on anyway.

The fact that people like AOC can bash Florida non-stop, even bash Ron for being "missing" amid the Omicron spike (while he's actually been MIA because he was going with his wife for her cancer treatments) -- Dave Rubin and Spencer Klavan poked a little fun at her for it
upload_2022-1-3_17-54-59.png

...advocate for stringent policies for her own state, and then head down to Florida to enjoy the more relaxed policies she's been railing against for the last 6 months, is just a tad hypocritical.

She was literally hanging out at a drag queen bar in Miami, maskless, in a large crowd, with no restrictions or vaccine requirements to get into the event, walking around socializing, and hugging people.

I mean, I think we can fairly surmise that she doesn't think Omicron is all that scary...which if fine...neither do I. I've had it...if you're vaccinated, Omicron isn't worth altering society for. (and to be 'politically incorrect', Omicron probably isn't all that serious if you're an unvaccinated person under 40 either...let's just be honest...most of S. Africa did okay with Omicron despite a low vaccination rate...but it's still better to be vaccinated).

It'd be sort of like if someone railed against the dangers of gambling non-stop for 6 months, and then went on vacation to vegas and was photographed having a great time playing the slots.

Attachments

• upload_2022-1-3_17-54-43.png
    upload_2022-1-3_17-54-43.png
    325.3 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Well, I don't think that rationale completely flies. "Guy may light himself on fire if we pass this law, so we'd better not pass it" can't be part of pragmatic policymaking.

For instance, if a guy says "I don't like that you've made cocaine illegal, so if you don't reverse that restriction, I'm going to hurt myself", we can't reverse cocaine laws to accommodate them.

Unfortunately, my somewhat mocking tone tends to get missed sometimes when making such tongue-in-cheek statements. :)

• Haha
Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟370,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

@bekkilyn makes a very fair point on this one about some of the hypocrisy.

...and was something I was actually planning on commenting on anyway.

The fact that people like AOC can bash Florida non-stop, even bash Ron for being "missing" amid the Omicron spike (while he's actually been MIA because he was going with his wife for her cancer treatments) -- Dave Rubin and Spencer Klavan poked a little fun at her for it
View attachment 310425

...advocate for stringent policies for her own state, and then head down to Florida to enjoy the more relaxed policies she's been railing against for the last 6 months, is just a tad hypocritical.

She was literally hanging out at a drag queen bar in Miami, maskless, in a large crowd, with no restrictions or vaccine requirements to get into the event, walking around socializing, and hugging people.

I mean, I think we can fairly surmise that she doesn't think Omicron is all that scary...which if fine...neither do I. I've had it...if you're vaccinated, Omicron isn't worth altering society for. (and to be 'politically incorrect', Omicron probably isn't all that serious if you're an unvaccinated person under 40 either...let's just be honest...most of S. Africa did okay with Omicron despite a low vaccination rate...but it's still better to be vaccinated).

It'd be sort of like if someone railed against the dangers of gambling non-stop for 6 months, and then went on vacation to vegas and was photographed having a great time playing the slots.
Fair point about AOC.

But frankly, with the exception of Bernie Sanders, I cannot name a single politician that hasn't been hypocritical. So for me, complaining about hypocrisy of politicians is beyond low hanging fruit. OF course they're hypocrites.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,210,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fair point about AOC.

But frankly, with the exception of Bernie Sanders, I cannot name a single politician that hasn't been hypocritical. So for me, complaining about hypocrisy of politicians is beyond low hanging fruit. OF course they're hypocrites.

Agreed that the overwhelming majority of politicians are hypocrites...but the differentiating factor is whether or not that hypocrisy leads to restricting the privileges of other people.

It's one thing to be a "standard political hypocrite"...IE: "I'm going to fight against corrupt money in politics!" (while accepting campaign donations from big corps). That's not particularly new or "special".

It's another thing to suggest that "Florida's policies are killing people and Ron DeSantis's leadership has turned Florida into a Covid death trap!, All of us good New Yorkers need to heavily restrict businesses, and create a bunch of cumbersome and tedious policies that will make it a pain to do anything, because it's about safety!", and then hop on a jet (because she can afford it) and head down to Miami to enjoy the relaxed policies.

She's been a fan of just about every restrictive policy done in the name of covid for her own city (which is a city that's 90% vaccinated, and at no major risk at this point) If she really believed the things she said, she would've gone on vacation to somewhere in California instead of Miami. Same sunny weather, same nice beaches, same amount of trendy restaurants, same vibrant diverse communities. Perhaps she didn't want to have to wear a mask everywhere and fiddle around in her purse to find her vaccine card every time she wanted to go into a bar or restaurant when she's a healthy & vaccinated 32 year old who just wants to relax on vacation?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sure that there were not so many crazy people around when I was growing up, if there were I am sure that I would have noticed. Perhaps I led a sheltered live and missed all this stuff. Given the current trends on social media, he will probably be someone who everyone want a picture of themselves with him now. The world is definitely getting a bit strange in recent years!

I don't remember the crazies either like there are now. One big difference is social media which the internet enable, this allows all the crazies to get together and the ones who love to spread lie after lie which gullible people shallow.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟370,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Why would someone go to New York City to escape government tyranny? Talk about being totally irrational! No wonder people are setting themselves on fire!
Why is America being discussed in a thread about some dude in Australia?
why is AOC a part of a self immolation thread?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,265,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I keep telling you...it's a spiritual delusion.

I think some people fall for this sort of thing because they crave explanations to make sense of the world, and in some people this behavior is driven primarily by emotions and subconscious fears (akin to psychotic ideas of reference). In fact human beings seem to crave explanations, even if those make them miserable or insane.

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't remember the crazies either like there are now. One big difference is social media which the internet enable, this allows all the crazies to get together and the ones who love to spread lie after lie which gullible people shallow.

Until now I have not had any desire to be involved in social media whatsoever! I fear that may have to change as I may need to start selling things on line and I may need an online presence on some sort of social media to present what I do!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟434,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think some people fall for this sort of thing because they crave explanations to make sense of the world, and in some people this behavior is driven primarily by emotions and subconscious fears (akin to psychotic ideas of reference). In fact human beings seem to crave explanations, even if those make them miserable or insane.
Yes we are meaning junkies. And if we cant find it, we'll fabricate it.

Upvote 0