Lutheran vs. Catholic: Itemized differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ChiRho said:
I wonder who is closer to the objective truth (actual length of leap)? :) This isnt ANOTHER implication accusing ChiRho of being the driving force behind dissention, is it? LOL!!

Nah, if I wanted to do that I could find much better examples out there to pick from! :p

But think about it this way...actually the subjective truth is the issue. When anyone changes their faith or faith practice they have to assess what must they give up and what must they embrace. It has been my experience, and my understanding from discussions with other Catholics that have joined the Lutheran church, that it's not so difficult--the transition to becoming Lutheran...not really so much to give up...and really great stuff to embrace. However...I do not see the converse as being as easy.

Compromise?!...in what sense? :confused:

Ya know, I had a response to this before I LOST IT but I like Michael's response better so...ditto that!

Actually...while the husband has authority and responsibility for the spiritual welfare of the family, my husband, though not willing to become Catholic, was willing to look at other denominations in which I might feel more comfortable. What a gracious gesture on his part!

Peace

Rose

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Confessional Lutheran Catholic
Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
Luthers Rose said:
Nah, if I wanted to do that I could find much better examples out there to pick from! :p

But think about it this way...actually the subjective truth is the issue. When anyone changes their faith or faith practice they have to assess what must they give up and what must they embrace. It has been my experience, and my understanding from discussions with other Catholics that have joined the Lutheran church, that it's not so difficult--the transition to becoming Lutheran...not really so much to give up...and really great stuff to embrace. However...I do not see the converse as being as easy.

Well, I thought the issue was the differences (ChiRho points to op)! :)

Ya know, I had a response to this before I LOST IT but I like Michael's response better so...ditto that!

Actually...while the husband has authority and responsibility for the spiritual welfare of the family, my husband, though not willing to become Catholic, was willing to look at other denominations in which I might feel more comfortable. What a gracious gesture on his part!

com·pro·mise
n.

1. A settlement of differences in which each side makes concessions.
The result of such a settlement.

2. Something that combines qualities or elements of different things: The incongruous design is a compromise between high tech and early American.

3. A concession to something detrimental or pejorative: a compromise of morality.

Considering the councils of Trent and Vatican II, and all of the modern movements within Christendom emphasizing our need for compromise or change to suit the people of today, I just dread the word "compromise."

Lutheranism is unique- a compromise- only in the sense, that it concedes nothing when confronted with untruth, but agrees completely with all who advocate what is absolutely true. :)

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Luthers Rose said:
I will second that...another former Catholic here. :wave: I know ChiRho stresses the differences...and theologically they can be considered signficant...but I think Lutherans tend to see the leap as far greater than Catholics who have become Lutheran see it.

Lutheran theology is rich and can well be appreciated by Catholics seeking assurance of their salvation. I think it is the perfect compromise between Catholic and Protestant...at least it was for my husband and I.

Peace

Rose
As a former Catholic, I agree with you - I don't have that "history" in my blood, so I guess I don't see it like other Lutherans do.

While I had already joined a Lutheran church before I met my husband (Methodist), I do know he wouldn't have wanted to become Catholic either. He had no problem joining my church. It worked out for us.

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
JeffreyLloyd said:
You think it's possible to tell what you believe without bashing the Pope and the Catholic Church... could you try that? Please?

Could you cite some examples? Just so we have a clear understanding of "pope bashing,' or "roman catholic bashing?" Thanks.

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
...but only tradition that is not contrary to scripture, ex: papal infallability.

I'm not going to list them all, all I am asking, is it really hard to share what you believe without saying how "unbiblical" the Catholic Church is?

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
JeffreyLloyd said:
You think it's possible to tell what you believe without bashing the Pope and the Catholic Church... could you try that? Please?
I don't think I bashed anyone. Actually, I have no problem with the Pope and/or the RCC. I do, however, have a HUGE problem with my archdiocese and many of the holier-than-thou officials in it and their stupid rules, and they play a huge part in why I became Lutheran. Those are individuals, however, not a denomination. I really haven't bashed my archdiocese ever on these boards, but if you get me started, I can very easily. Lets just say that I should have the right to attend as a member, any church I want, and marry in any church I want who's pastor will marry me - not the parish my archdiocese tells me to go to or marry in.

Only a year or two after I became Lutheran, did I really learn the differences. They are quite fascinating differences, and it was an eye opener. Even with those differences, Catholics are just as much Christians as Lutherans and anyone else who believe that the only way to Heaven is through Jesus.

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jeff,

What is the title of this thread and where is it found? Lutheran/ Roman differences...located deep within the walls of Castle Wittenberg. Do you expect us to be reciting the Rosary and staring at the Eucharist?

Besides, Papal Infallibility is not Scriptural, in fact, it is contrary to Holy Scripture. This is not Roman Catholic bashing, this is clarifying the truth of Christianity.

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Reactions: Rechtgläubig
Upvote 0

ZeroTX

Apr 11, 2004
Houston, TEXAS
✟540.00
Faith
Christian
JeffreyLloyd said:
I'm not going to list them all, all I am asking, is it really hard to share what you believe without saying how "unbiblical" the Catholic Church is?
Jeffrey,

What differentiates the Roman Catholic church from the Lutheran church is those exact items that Lutherans feel Catholics do/believe that are unbiblical. This was the basis of Martin Luther's problems with the church, and thus the basis of Lutheran believers who agreed with him.

I'm new to this myself (I grew up Baptist), but my understanding is that Luther,a Catholic priest, felt there were many unbiblical items that had become a part of the Catholic church over its evolution ( and WERE NOT part of it originally ), and he wanted them brought to the forefront and corrected. His goal was not to spawn the Reformation or to build a church called 'Lutheran'... In fact, he detested the fact that people used his name. But, as with most beliefs, the derogatory name of the believers ends up being the name they embrace!

I really respect and enjoy many of the Catholic traditions, and so did Luther. The church was unwilling to correct their biblical flaws that had come about long after the time of Christ, by way of mistakes men made (not by mistakes of Christ or the original Apostles)... The church was unwilling to make corrections, so here we are.

Note: I'm not a Lutheran. ChiRo and others in this forum can give you more expert opinion, or you could always read some of Luthers writing, which is extensive. I read a book called The Spirituality of The Cross which was an excellent way for me to become introduced to the Lutheran beliefs. I will heed James' warning (James 3:1) and not try to be a teacher in this area, as I do not have the background to teach Lutheran beliefs...

-Michael

Reactions: Rechtgläubig
Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ChiRho said:
Jeff,

What is the title of this thread and where is it found? Lutheran/ Roman differences...located deep within the walls of Castle Wittenberg. Do you expect us to be reciting the Rosary and staring at the Eucharist?

Again, thanks for the respect :rolleyes:

ChiRho said:
Besides, Papal Infallibility is not Scriptural, in fact, it is contrary to Holy Scripture. This is not Roman Catholic bashing, this is clarifying the truth of Christianity.

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Like I said, it's just interesting, that you cannot comment on your own beliefs without bashing someone else's.

Jeff

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ZeroTX said:
Hi guys,

In another thread I discussed the fact that I am a Protestant who is presently dating a Catholic. It is my very limited-knowledge understanding that Lutherans and Catholics share many beliefs (more so than say a Baptist and a Catholic), and I was curious if someone could tell me in very brief "listed out" terms the things off the top of their head...

for instance..

Eucharist/Communion/Lord's Supper -- "real presence" or "symbolic gesture of faith"? Provided every week, or what frequency? Requirements to take communion? Protestants who are NOT Lutheran allowed to partake?
Like Catholics profess that Christ is truly and physically present in the Eucharist. Catholics try define how it happens by using metaphysics, calling it transubstantiation. People often say that Lutherans teach consubstantiation, which isn't really true, though many do believe it, we do not have a dogmatic decree on how it happens. Christ said, "This is my body" and "This is my blood," and Christ does not lie, so we believe Him. It isn't something that we feel needs a dogmatic definition.

The frequency depends on the pastor, some every other week, some every week, some every Sunday and midweek service. There is a big push to get the churches to practice it every Sunday at least.

We must not partake unworthily, so we must pray and inspect ourselves for sins, and there is confession and absolution before. Most churches wait until children are confirmed before allowing them to commune, but some allow it immediately.

The traditional and orthodox (and in my oppinion, biblical) way is to have closed communion. So only church members and those who's church is in communion with the church may take communion.

Papacy -- Is there an "infallible" Lutheran authority, or is it like most other Faiths and we are just human beings who accept guidance from the Holy Spirit? (The Papacy is the #1 reason I can never accept Catholicism.... I'm a History nut with a Bachelor's degree in History, and study of the History of the Papacy is enough to make you never believe in the papacy, not even for a minute)
Only God's Word is infallible, but we recognize that the Word is not limitted to the Bible. There are sources of authority that we do not consider to be infallible, per se, but correct. In that area there are the 3 Creeds, the Lutheran Confessions, etc. We don't accept scripture without Tradition, nor tradition without Scripture, in doctrines of faith.

Baptism -- immersion or sprinkle? Infant baptism or upon making a conscious choice and commitment?
Baptism is generally done by sprinkling, though Trinitarian immersion is recognized as well.

Baptism is not about what you do, but what God does and His free gift to you. Baptism sparks saving faith in the heart of a child, we would never withhold it from them.

Scripture -- Sole authority or not?
Sole authority by which all matters of faith must be judged by. It is not the only authority, and dare I say, its authority is questionable when seperated from the Tradition of the Church.

Worship style -- singing, music? What kind? Solemn adoration or joyful praise? Hand waving, dancing, etc? Physical gestures? Statues or other physical objects (i.e. rosary?)... Is there a "sermon" that allows you to get a real message out of it (perhaps thematic??) or is it like the Homily, rather dry?? What percentage of the church service is worship ritual (singing, communion, "other" ritual) vs. the actual message from the Minister?... Are the messages usually relevant with specific examples for life and heavy use of Scriptural support?
Lutherans are liturgical, many consider the Liturgy to be Tradition rather than tradition, and like Catholics and Orthodox we refer (officially at least, some people are Americanized) to it with names like "divine service" and "mass." A Lutheran service and Catholic service are virtually identical, except Lutherans sing a little more and the sermon is around 15 minutes instead of 5. We believe that the service should have both the Word and Sacrament.

The sermon or homily, is not the sole purpose of the service, and indeed, is not the message. There are multiple readings of scripture, prayers, reciting of the Creed, hymns etc.; the entire liturgy is a message, every song, reading, and response teaches something. You will be standing up, sitting down, standing up, kneeling (if they have kneelers), sitting down, standing up, etc. ;)

Some Lutherans use a rosary, a prayer rope, etc., but it is not in the services and is more akin to the Orthodox practice than the Catholic Mary-centered Rosary, though I have seen the practice of reserving one bead for the magnificant.

I guess, what I'm really looking for is to find out the big similarities and big differences. I'm want us both (me and the girl I'm dating) to write down the "my church MUST believe this" and "my church MUST do this ritual" etc so that we can see if we will EVER be compatible religiously... as it is, I'm not too happy about the idea of marrying and having my children forced to become Catholic or else risk an Ecclesiastical Curse upon us (Anathema) as indicated by the RCC!!! Fear is such a horrible way to convince people to follow the church's rules.
Well, I must inform you that Lutherans also have their own anathemas. All of those declared in the 7 councils and the the ones in the Lutheran Confessions, though they say "we condemn" rather than "let him be anathema." The difference is that those ones where we say "we condemn" do not mean that said person is damned to hell, but we do mean that said belief is wrong, heretical, and will put their souls in danger.

In ways of worship, post Vatican II, Catholics and Lutherans are little different from eachother. Our main differences are in doctrine, like justification, Papal infalibility, doctirnal progression, etc.

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
JeffreyLloyd said:
Again, thanks for the respect :rolleyes:

Like I said, it's just interesting, that you cannot comment on your own beliefs without bashing someone else's.

Jeff

I respect you...I do not respect Papal Infallibility...in fact, I believe that trust in Papal Infalliblity weakens one's faith. It actually aids in the destruction of faith. We are to regard no one as righteous, not one. There has never been anyone without sin, but Christ. I cannot put my confidence (of infallibility) in anyone but Jesus Christ.

If I really believed this, which I do, would it be kind of me to remain silent?

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
ZeroTX said:
ChiRo,

A compromise is exactly how I'm seeing it as well.... The article in the back of The Spirituality of The Cross explains it exactly....

It's almost like a "Best of" between Protestantism and Catholicism...

From Protestantism:
Bible-based, Salvation is a free gift, No "papacy"

From Catholicism:
Traditionally-organized church service, "real presence" communion, infant baptism

That's just a few off the top of my head. I left the book in my truck, or I'd look and give you more, but it seems more "right" than Catholicism to me... I can be a Lutheran, I think. I cannot be a Catholic, and I think I would rather break up with this girl than ever become a Catholic. The papacy goes against everything spiritual that I believe, down to the core. I have a History degree from college, and all I can think about is the horrible people who held the office of the pope, and to whom all Catholics must submit authority. It makes me want to vomit.

BTW, we're attending a Lutheran (LCMS) church this weekend.... I mentioned some questions in my PM to you.

-Michael

This is what I meant by not compromising. We dont see it as a "compromise" but a strong stance on what is true. :)

Evangelical Catholics & Confessional Evangelicals
The ecumenical polarities of Lutheranism

by Gene Edward Veith

Gene Edward Veith is Professor of Humanities and Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences at Concordia University*Wisconsin. He is the author of eight books-including Postmodern Times, Reading Between the Lines: A Christian Guide to Literature, and Reformation Spirituality: The Religion of George Herbert-and numerous essays on Christianity, culture, and the arts. He is a member of First Immanuel Lutheran Church in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, a congregation of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In some places, genuine Lutheranism for all of the Lutheran churches has become hard to find. But, as it always has, the pendulum may be starting to swing in the other direction.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction
Paradoxy
The Roots of American Lutheranism
Between Separatism & Accommodationism
Lutheran Confessionalism
Anti-Ecumenism

Introduction

Imagine a church that is both evangelical-proclaiming the free forgiveness of sins through faith in Jesus Christ-and sacramental, centering its spiritual life in the regenerating waters of baptism and the Real Presence of Christ in Holy Communion. Imagine further a church that is strongly grounded on Scripture, but yet avoids the solipsism of individual interpretation in favor of a comprehensive, intellectually rigorous and eminently orthodox theological system. Imagine a worship service that features both strong preaching and the historic liturgy. Imagine that this is a historical church with a rich spiritual tradition, but without legalism. Imagine, in short, a church that has some of the best parts of Protestantism and the best parts of Catholicism. Finally, imagine that this church body is not some little made-up sect, but one of the largest bodies of Christians in the world.

Such a church might seem like what many Christians-disaffected by both the vacuity of liberal theology and the shallowness of American evangelicalism-are dreaming of. For millions of Christians such a church actually exists-it goes by the admittedly inadequate name "Lutheran."

Worldwide, there are some 60 million Lutherans on the books, making it the largest Protestant tradition of them all. There are around 9 million Lutherans in the United States, but 5 million in Africa and another 5 million in Asia. Brazil has over a million Lutherans, and it is one of the dominant religions of Papua New Guinea. In the United States, there are about the same number of Missouri Synod Lutherans (2.5 million) as there are Episcopalians.

To be sure, these numbers are uncertain and doubtless inflated, including state churches and those that have all but abandoned their heritage in favor of liberal theology or quasi-evangelicalism. Just as not all Catholics actually believe and practice their Catholicism, the same is true for Lutherans. Nevertheless, this many people consider themselves Lutherans and affirm, in their formal subscriptions, the Real Presence of Christ in the Sacrament and salvation by grace through faith in the work of Jesus Christ.

Despite its size, the Lutheran Church seems almost unknown in American Christianity. Catholics, Episcopalians, Baptists, charismatics, and Calvinists are well represented in theological debates, opinion polls, and articles in Christian publications, but Lutherans-who have their own distinctive approach to everything from salvation to politics-are often theological wallflowers.

Billy Graham called Lutherans "the sleeping giant." If Lutheranism is the invisible Church, or, to paraphrase what Luther said of God, the Church that hides itself, this is partly its own fault and partly the result of its theological tension with American culture. Nevertheless, Lutheranism has much to offer Christendom as a whole. As a Church body with a thoroughly worked-out theology, which it actually follows, Lutheran denominations have retained their orthodoxy more successfully than most. But more than that, Lutheran theology-and spirituality-is animated by a dynamic polarity in which divisive theological controversies are put into balance and thus resolved.

Paradoxy

The distinctive characteristic of Lutheran theology is its affirmation of paradox. Calvin and Arminius both constructed systematic theologies, explaining away any contrary biblical data in a rationalistic system of belief. Luther developed his theology in Bible commentaries, following the contours of Scripture wherever they led and developing its most profound polarities: law and gospel; Christ as both true God and true Man; the Christian as simultaneously saint and sinner; justification by faith and baptismal regeneration; Holy Communion as the Real Presence of Christ in material bread and wine.

Not only have Lutherans always affirmed both "evangelical" and "Catholic" ideas, their way with paradox also resolves issues that have divided Protestants. Calvinists insist on salvation by grace alone to the extent of double predestination; Arminians insist that everyone, potentially, can be saved, and so stress the utter freedom of the will. Lutherans stress grace above all, that God does literally everything for our salvation, dying on the cross, with his Spirit breaking into our lives through Word and Sacrament, the means of grace. But Jesus died for all, and potentially anyone might be saved. Lutheranism affirms the best of both Calvinism and Arminianism, while avoiding the exclusivity of the one and the potential Pelagianism of the other. Charismatics emphasize the Holy Spirit-so do Lutherans, finding that Spirit not in the vagaries of human emotion but even more tangibly as being genuinely operative in the Word and Sacraments. Lutherans are fundamentalist in their doctrinal rigor, while excluding separatism and legalism. Lutheran cultural theology affirms Two Kingdoms, preventing the secular from swallowing up the sacred, and the sacred from swallowing up the secular. This explains why Lutherans can seem both inwardly focused and free and easy, why they seem conservative yet apolitical, and why they often have beer at their church dinners.

Lutheranism-with its sacramentalism and liturgical worship synthesized with its biblicism and evangelical proclamation-might serve as a bridge between the various factions of Christianity. Of course, it is not that simple.

If Lutheranism represents an "evangelical Catholicism" (a term favored by many confessional Lutherans), its paradoxes mean that it is likewise subject to attack from every side. Evangelicals consider it "too Catholic"-making fun of what they consider its stiff formality, its old-fashioned music, and its ancient liturgy and, more seriously, questioning how Lutherans can say salvation is by faith if they believe in baptismal regeneration and being appalled at the way the pastor says when he gives the absolution that he forgives people their sins. Catholics and Orthodox lump Lutheranism with all other Protestants-in fact, Lutherans are the worst Protestants because they started the dissolution of Christendom.

Within Protestantism, Calvinists attack Lutherans for "not going far enough in the Reformation," for keeping papistical practices and idolatrous worship. Arminians attack Lutherans for not believing in the freedom of the will and for leaving the door open to anti-nomianism. Charismatics think Lutherans are "cold." Fundamentalists say Lutherans are strong on doctrine but weak on morals.

And, just as the Lutheran framework seems to invite attacks from every side, Lutherans counterattack everyone else. Lutherans condemn Arminians for not believing in predestination and Calvinists for believing in double predestination. Catholics and charismatics are considered alike in believing that the Holy Spirit reveals himself in human beings, apart from the Word. Fundamentalists are savaged for their legalism. In fact, many Lutherans do not see themselves as being Protestant at all.

The Lutheran synthesis is a baroque structure that can only be held together by a doctrinal rigor that constantly reinforces every point. Anglicans attempt a via media between Catholicism and Protestantism, which works through compromise, broad consensus, and a tolerance for differences. The Lutheran way, on the other hand, is one of polarities. Each pole of the paradox must be maintained and heightened. What Chesterton said in Orthodoxy of the paradoxes of Christianity is particularly descriptive of Lutheran theology: "We want not an amalgam or compromise, but both things at the top of their energy; love and wrath both burning." Christianity does not approach doctrinal issues, such as the nature of Christ or the moral status of a human being, in terms of the Aristotelian golden mean. Rather, "Christianity got over the difficulty of combining furious opposites, by keeping them both, and keeping them both furious."

Thus, Lutherans are very sacramental and very evangelical. Anglicanism, even in its high-church phase, has always been dismissed by continental Lutherans as merely another variety of Reformed Calvinism, its articles being so wishy-washy in not clearly affirming the Real Presence. Evangelicals are not evangelical enough, falling as they do into the trap of "decision theology" and moralism, not trusting God to accomplish literally everything that is needful.

As a result, Lutheran theology, though embracing in one sense the whole range of Christian spirituality, is nevertheless an entity unto itself, with its own spiritual disciplines that are quite alien to those of other traditions. Consider, for example, the way Lutheranism opposes the so-called Theology (or rather, spirituality) of Glory-with its pretensions of power, victory, and earthly success-with the Theology of the Cross, in which God reveals himself in weakness, defeat, and failure. Or the Word of God, not merely as a sourcebook of information, but as a sacramental means of grace. Or the way God hides himself in what seems to be his opposite, in the material elements of the Sacraments, in humiliation and defeat, in what seems most secular and nonreligious. Or the exhilaration, under the gospel, of Christian freedom.

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Roots of American Lutheranism

An immigrant faith, like Catholicism and Orthodoxy, Lutheran churches had always been somewhat culturally isolated and highly conscious of their differences with mainstream American Protestantism. While German Lutherans came to Pennsylvania in colonial times and Scandinavian Lutherans settled in the upper Midwest, bringing their churches with them, another group came for a different reason.

In nineteenth-century Germany, efforts were being made by the post-Enlightenment princes to combine the various Protestant factions into a single, ecumenical, state church. Calvinists and Lutherans were forced to give up their doctrinal distinctiveness and combine into an "Evangelical and Reformed" church. ("Evangelical"-referring to the centrality of the gospel-is the preferred continental term for Lutheranism, as opposed to the "Reformed" Calvinists. Lutherans were thus the

first, and one might argue, the most quintessential Evangelicals.) The state churches so formed tended to foster a rationalistic, cultural religion-preaching new agricultural techniques and doctrines of social progress rather than the gospel-the fruit of the new liberal theology being developed in German seminaries. In the typical heavy-handed German way, pastors who opposed the ecumenical union were actually imprisoned, and the so-called "Old Lutherans" were persecuted. Scores of congregations that insisted on classical Lutheranism left everything they owned and settled in America. (Substantial numbers also went to other countries such as Australia, Africa, and Brazil.)

These formed the more conservative Lutheran denominations, such as the Missouri Synod and the Wisconsin Synod (terms that refer to the place of their historical origins and denominational headquarters), churches that, because of their history, would naturally be suspicious of ecumenism. Like the Catholics, these confessional Lutherans, recognizing that the Protestant civil religion of the public schools was inimical to their faith, established an extensive system of parochial schools to educate their children in a way that would be supportive of their faith. This strain of Lutherans thus resisted assimilation into the mainstream of American religious life. In terms of their "Two Kingdoms" theology, they assimilated quite well into American society and economic life, but their church was kept separate, untouched by the revivalism, the social gospel, religious individualism, and other trends of American religion.

Between Separatism & Accommodationism

But if one tendency in American Lutheranism is a certain separatism, the other part of the inevitable polarity is accomodationism. The colonial-era Lutherans and many of the Scandinavian settlers were not so strict as the religious refugees. Quite early, these Lutherans debated about to what extent they should adapt to the religious life of their new homeland. An important nineteenth-century theologian, Samuel Schmuucker (mod note: had to add an extra "u" to his lastname because of the curse/slang filter in the software *shrugs* - JMRE5150), went so far as to amend the Augsburg Confession to accommodate the new revivalism and a more Reformed view of the Sacraments. While many Lutherans went in this direction, another theologian, Charles Krauth, in a movement paralleling the Oxford movement within Anglicanism, championed a revival of confessionalism and liturgical renewal.

Ever since, American Lutherans have tended to vacillate between the poles of separatism and accommodationism. Historically, Lutheran denominations in America have tended to drift towards the religious mainstream, only to lurch back into their distinctiveness.

In this century, the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) has gone through a particularly traumatic "civil war." Its seminary in St. Louis gradually began accepting other mainline Protestant denominations' approach to the Scriptures, employing the historical-critical method to cast doubt on the authority of the Bible and adopting other tenets of liberal theology. In the 1970s, "the battle of the Bible" erupted, as conservatives called "the moderates" on their unorthodox view of the Scriptures-the latter were expelled, set up a seminary of their own, and every congregation had to choose which side it would be on. Unlike what happened in other denominations, the liberals left and the conservatives retained control of the institution (rather than the conservatives leaving, which has usually been the case in other church bodies).

Today, the LCMS is facing a similar issue, only now the American religious mainstream is no longer liberalism but evangelicalism. Many Lutheran churches have been jettisoning their liturgy and their distinctive beliefs, in favor of emulating the Evangelicals, adapting techniques from the church-growth movement, singing "praise songs," preaching sermons on pop-psychology, and otherwise abandoning their spiritual heritage in favor of generic American Protestantism.

In the meantime, the moderates' exodus from the LCMS served as the catalyst for the union of the nation's more liberal Lutherans. The resulting Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) continued going the way of the rest of mainline Protestantism. The ordination of women, left-wing political advocacy, and the ecumenical movement have made them less distinctive, and more and more like generic American liberal Protestantism.

In some places, genuine Lutheranism-for all of the Lutheran churches-has become hard to find. But, as it always has, the pendulum may be starting to swing in the other direction.

Lutheran Confessionalism

Today, a new confessionalism is emerging in Lutheran circles. Just as many Lutheran churches are going the way of American evangelicalism in using praise bands and overhead projectors, others are reemphasizing the historic liturgy, chanting the service and signing themselves with the Holy Cross. Many parishes have reinstituted the ancient Lutheran practice of private confession and absolution.

The most rigorously confessional Lutheran pastors can be recognized by their black shirts and white clerical collars, the priest-like garb worn by traditional holders of the pastoral office before they adopted the American-style minister's coat and tie. All Lutheran pastors wear the collar; the arch-confessionalists are distinguished by wearing it practically all the time.

This confessionalism can appear formidable. Closed Communion (sharing the Lord's Supper only with those who agree on every point of doctrine), a genuine pastoral authority, rigorous catechetical instruction for converts, and forthright practices (such as no weddings during Lent, and no congratulatory eulogies during funerals), can be off-putting in America's easy-going culture. But confessionalism is not the same as conservatism. During the LCMS controversy over the Bible, high-church ceremonialists tended to be on the liberal side; today, while theologically orthodox, they stand against the evangelical and fundamentalist tendencies within the church.

Lutherans allow a measure of freedom in practice, while insisting on agreement in doctrine (unlike, say, the Anglican tradition which has tended to stress uniformity of worship forms while allowing for doctrinal latitude). Conservative denominations such as the Missouri and Wisconsin Synods remain rigorously confessional, in the sense of upholding the creeds and formulas of the Book of Concord, though they are presently torn by controversies over worship styles. That style is expressive of confession, though, is becoming more and more evident, and serious fault lines seem to be manifesting themselves within the conservative Lutheran denominations. Most Lutherans today are somewhere along the spectrum between the two poles of low-church informality and high-church ceremonialism.

Nevertheless, it is surely significant that many of the most ardently confessional pastors, those who are most concerned to bring back the Lutheran traditions in both doctrine and worship, are those straight out of seminary. The younger pastors, the new generation, seem to be the ones most concerned to recover their Lutheran distinctiveness.

In the meantime, Lutherans are starting to get their share of disaffected Evangelicals-casualties of megachurches and refugees from generic American Protestantism, Christians looking for meaningful worship and theological depth-as well as Catholics dismayed by the post-Vatican II liberalism within their Church, and burnt-out secularists who, broken by the law and renewed by the gospel, have come to Christ.

Anti-Ecumenism

Confessional Lutherans are not ecumenical. They will never join the National Association of Evangelicals, nor the World Council of Churches. Lutheran institutions are so big-with their network of schools, colleges, publishing houses, and denominational services-that they can be rather insulated and self-contained. Though the ELCA has pioneered ecumenical dialogue with the Reformed, Anglicans, and even Roman Catholics-to the point of claiming to have found agreement with Rome on justification by faith-the Missouri and Wisconsin Synods will have none of that. Their wariness of ecumenical union and, even more profoundly, of American-style Christianity has kept them out of the mainstream, but it has kept them relatively true to their theology.

Any genuine ecumenism must avoid simply emptying Christianity of its distinctive content and must somehow affirm what is most salient, what is most "Christian," in the whole spectrum of Christian belief, from traditional Catholicism to Protestant fundamentalism. Lutheranism, while eschewing ecumenism as such, provides a framework-or, rather, a set of polarities-by which this might be done.

Many confessional Lutherans have taken to calling themselves "evangelical catholics." They are catholic in their historic creeds, their worship, and their sacramentalism, and they are evangelical in their trust in the good news of Christ, that in his cross he has saved us by sheer grace for a life of Christian freedom. Others are calling themselves "confessing Evangelicals," allying with Reformed Christians to call today's doctrinally shallow Evangelicals to the historic confessions of faith forged by the Reformation. From the Lutheran perspective, mere Catholics are in need of evangelical reformation, and mere Evangelicals are in need of historic orthodoxy. The theological formulas that purport to show how both of these tasks can be done are collected in a volume appropriately titled The Book of Concord. For Lutherans, such an approach represents nothing other than mere Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ChiRho said:
Anti-Ecumenism

Confessional Lutherans are not ecumenical. They will never join the National Association of Evangelicals, nor the World Council of Churches. Lutheran institutions are so big-with their network of schools, colleges, publishing houses, and denominational services-that they can be rather insulated and self-contained. Though the ELCA has pioneered ecumenical dialogue with the Reformed, Anglicans, and even Roman Catholics-to the point of claiming to have found agreement with Rome on justification by faith-the Missouri and Wisconsin Synods will have none of that. Their wariness of ecumenical union and, even more profoundly, of American-style Christianity has kept them out of the mainstream, but it has kept them relatively true to their theology.

Any genuine ecumenism must avoid simply emptying Christianity of its distinctive content and must somehow affirm what is most salient, what is most "Christian," in the whole spectrum of Christian belief, from traditional Catholicism to Protestant fundamentalism. Lutheranism, while eschewing ecumenism as such, provides a framework-or, rather, a set of polarities-by which this might be done.
-James

Upvote 0

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Saying that ELCA is confessional is like saying SSPX follows the Pope :D
I didn't say ELCA at all, just because that is my Church doesn't mean that I was talking about it. I think the original Lutheran Church wanted very much to rejoin Rome, but Rome was more anti-Ecumenical than we were and are.

-James

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.