Lutheran vs. Catholic: Itemized differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clayrichard

Acts 17:11
May 26, 2004
New Orleans Louisiana
✟15,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God byfaith:

Actually it is faith that enables you to recieve the grace that saves

Eph2:8 for by grace have ye been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

9 not of works, that no man should glory.

Upvote 0

clayrichard

May 26, 2004
New Orleans Louisiana
✟15,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
quot-top-left.gif
Quote:
quot-top-right.gif
quot-top-right-10.gif
Anti-Ecumenism

Confessional Lutherans are not ecumenical. They will never join the National Association of Evangelicals, nor the World Council of Churches. Lutheran institutions are so big-with their network of schools, colleges, publishing houses, and denominational services-that they can be rather insulated and self-contained. Though the ELCA has pioneered ecumenical dialogue with the Reformed, Anglicans, and even Roman Catholics-to the point of claiming to have found agreement with Rome on justification by faith-the Missouri and Wisconsin Synods will have none of that. Their wariness of ecumenical union and, even more profoundly, of American-style Christianity has kept them out of the mainstream, but it has kept them relatively true to their theology.

Any genuine ecumenism must avoid simply emptying Christianity of its distinctive content and must somehow affirm what is most salient, what is most "Christian," in the whole spectrum of Christian belief, from traditional Catholicism to Protestant fundamentalism. Lutheranism, while eschewing ecumenism as such, provides a framework-or, rather, a set of polarities-by which this might be done.

-James
quot-bot-left.gif
quot-bot-right.gif

The reason the Roman Cathlics agreed with justification by faith here was that the word Alone was droped! A few years ago there was a big stink in the Southern Baptist when a few of them, along with Chuck Colson (who always saw adding works to faith OK but unnesisary) signed a document with the world counsel of Churches and the Roman Cathlic church saying the same thing. However, Alone is absolutly esential, since as it is wrtten Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Grace, recieved through faith (Eph 8:9) can not be mixed with works.
The Missouri and Wisconsin Synods Should have none of that.
Though I am not a Lutheran, I pray they stay true to this most vital truth.

Upvote 0

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
clayrichard said:
The real Differance:
sola fid
meaning

Faith alone
No other differance even comes close in importance.
Romans 5:6 For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.

You mean sola fide? :p

The big issue is not faith alone, but Christ alone. Rome holds Christ's merit plus our merit equals justification, while Lutherans hold that we are justified by Christ's merit alone.

Upvote 0

clayrichard

May 26, 2004
New Orleans Louisiana
✟15,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Lotar said:
You mean sola fide? :p

The big issue is not faith alone, but Christ alone. Rome holds Christ's merit plus our merit equals justification, while Lutherans hold that we are justified by Christ's merit alone.
A cut and paist error. True, it is actually a isue of the suficiancy of the attonement, but rome misused pasages like James 2 to suport their error, thus sola fide became the cry of the reformation.

Perhaps someone here can answer a question I've had for some time.
why does the LCMS continue in ecumenical talks with Rome? No way their going to compramise truth for unity (at least I pray not) and Rome, while it might be willing to say justified by faith, making sure to leave out alone, But they cerinly will never eliminate papal infalibility or accept Christ alone. It's an exersise in futility at best and runs the risk of compramisers getting the uper hand at worst.

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Confessional Lutheran Catholic
Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
clayrichard said:
A cut and paist error. True, it is actually a isue of the suficiancy of the attonement, but rome misused pasages like James 2 to suport their error, thus sola fide became the cry of the reformation.

Perhaps someone here can answer a question I've had for some time.
why does the LCMS continue in ecumenical talks with Rome? No way their going to compramise truth for unity (at least I pray not) and Rome, while it might be willing to say justified by faith, making sure to leave out alone, But they cerinly will never eliminate papal infalibility or accept Christ alone. It's an exersise in futility at best and runs the risk of compramisers getting the uper hand at worst.

The reason the talks continue? Because what man deems futile and hopeless matters not, instead, it is the trust in the word of God...that the Spirit will work....even when we claim "impossible!"

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.