shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are 2.2 billion Christians in the world right now... How would you like 2.2 billion people coming to you preaching the gospel?

...You wouldn't sleep at night.

That's why fundamentalist interpretations don't always make sense. Each person has their own talents -their own mission. Its not the same for everyone.
Exactly right so where do you see in scripture where Jesus told any of His followers....go thou now and be a recluse or live in solitude ??

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly right so where do you see in scripture where Jesus told any of His followers....go thou now and be a recluse or live in solitude ??

1 Kings 17:2-6

Then the word of the Lord came to [Elijah], saying, “Get away from here and turn eastward, and hide by the Brook Cherith, which flows into the Jordan. And it will be that you shall drink from the brook, and I have commanded the ravens to feed you there.” So he went and did according to the word of the Lord, for he went and stayed by the Brook Cherith, which flows into the Jordan. The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning, and bread and meat in the evening; and he drank from the brook.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2 Corinthians 6:17

Psalms 1

An icon of Elijah from Saint Catherine's Monastery, Mount Sinai
319px-Elijah_Icon_Sinai_c1200.jpg

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Uh...elijah is OT prophet. Maybe you confusing him with John the Baptist? He was a nazarite, eating wild locusts and honey. But he still preached and told everyone to repent for the kingdom is at hand.

Also elijah didnt stay in solitude forever, remember he faced up to the false prophets of baal.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Uh...elijah is OT prophet. Maybe you confusing him with John the Baptist? He was a nazarite, eating wild locusts and honey. But he still preached and told everyone to repent for the kingdom is at hand.

Also elijah didnt stay in solitude forever, remember he faced up to the false prophets of baal.

That's true. We cant all be prophets though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

davidcrosby

Aug 7, 2016
US
✟15,828.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just thought unusual for a pastor to say that and favour loud noisy people over what the Bible says esp 1 Peter 3:4
I don't have anything against people getting excited (and convicted) over God's word (which we should), but maybe the pastor is wanting to hear the amens, say dat, and hallelujahs for his glory instead of God (and isn't getting enough of it).

Good call on 1Pet 3:4

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This reminds me I once asked the pastor if we could have plants for our church yard for the garden and he said no. He said it was meant to be a kids playground.

I went and bought plants anyway. I started with hanging baskets and me and another church member did the garden bed. Its now got breath of heaven in it.

Maybe I can win him over. Lawnmowers vs birdsong. I know which one Id rather have.

Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
2 Corinthians 6:17

Psalms 1

1 Kings 17:2-6

Here is one you both should learn.........
2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I just thank God Jesus didnt come, live his life and die a recluse or we would all be in trouble, oh wait, do you Catholics believe in Jesus, Landon ?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here is one you both should learn.........
2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I just thank God Jesus didnt come, live his life and die a recluse or we would all be in trouble, oh wait, do you Catholics believe in Jesus, Landon ?

I know that scripture well. I don't think Christians should be recluses necessarily, but I don't condemn people who are.

Proverbs 21:19

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know that scripture well. I don't think Christians should be recluses necessarily, but I don't condemn people who are.

Proverbs 21:19

There is a testimony "Sister Charlotte" you can hear about a young girl who dedicated her life . She eventually escaped . Horrifying .

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a testimony "Sister Charlotte" you can hear about a young girl who dedicated her life . She eventually escaped . Horrifying .

You've been taught this. It's okay, I was taught as a child about the Baptists, I hated them, because there was this case where they actually whipped my older sister in the park when she refused to get on their bus -they insisted she was "with them"... Idiots. She was just playing with them, we lived across the street. They were on their yearly trip, where 20 busses of Baptists took over the park. She got away after her whipping and they chased het to my house, where my dad thoroughly chewed their a%$es up and down.

Every year after that, when the busses came, we ran home as fast as we could.

So it's not uncommon. But one day, when the Muslims outnumber us Christians, our great grandchildren will come together in friendship. If they still believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can you catholics and protestants argue somewhere else thanks.
This is my thread, please stick to topic.

Jesus came after elijah, im sorry. You need to read the bible in order.
Jesus praised Mary for sitting at his feet and listening to Him.
He also went up the mountain to pray, and if he couldnt go there he found a garden and prayed there...for solitude time with Father. But he didnt stay there, he went round healing and touching peoples lives.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you catholics and protestants argue somewhere else thanks.
This is my thread, please stick to topic.

Jesus came after elijah, im sorry. You need to read the bible in order.
Jesus praised Mary for sitting at his feet and listening to Him.
He also went up the mountain to pray, and if he couldnt go there he found a garden and prayed there...for solitude time with Father. But he didnt stay there, he went round healing and touching peoples lives.

So you don't believe in the OT? I was always taught that Jesus didn't come to replace, but to fulfill the law. So where did Jesus openly condemn those in solitude?

...It was Martin Luther who did that, not Jesus.
https://theorthodoxlife.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/monasticism-in-scripture/

Last edited:
Upvote 0