Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am a naturally soft-spoken person but I can be loud when I want to be.
But loud people just can't seem to be quiet. And they really don't seem to like quiet people. Why is this?

Its bothering me because my pastor said something today about me living in fantasy of having a quiet corner of the church. Well isn't that a reasonable thing to have?

If people want to be noisy they can go to other parts of the church. Why should the people who want to have peace and quiet tolerate the noisy ones??? When the noisy ones dont do the same in return and respect the quiet ones??

Also he seemed to think children(or kids) have an inability to be quiet. Well no, thats not true. This is really bothering me. I've worked with children and its actually the adults that don't know how to shut up.

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, but what do you want advice on? If you are a Christian, there is no loud vs. quiet people, you all need to get along as the body of Christ. You go to church to fellowship and that involves talking and listening as well. Unless you have a prayer room orduring the sermon, or something where quiet is required then I don't think people should be forced to not fellowship just because you think they should. I'm a quiet person, but I do recognize that there are people with louder personalities and that is how God made them. If you are pushing for certain things in your church how you want them to be and have brought it before the pastor; then I think it's wise to listen to him and his direction. Children can be quiet and learn social cues, but that does not mean you should force them to be quiet.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in a time where it was considered proper protocol that 'children should be seen and not heard'. This may seem foreign today but there are times and places for certain things. Most used to be respectful in church, quiet, reverent and this was taught to both children and adults. You did not act the same way you did on a playground or at picnic or such.

It is biblical that certain times and places call for certain behaviors (see Eccl.) So it is not unreasonable to expect it, however in today's world the line is blurred between holy and profane as such there is no line.

Upvote 0

Cush

Orthodox Presbyterian
Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
✟19,019.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am a naturally soft-spoken person but I can be loud when I want to be.
But loud people just can't seem to be quiet. And they really don't seem to like quiet people. Why is this?

Its bothering me because my pastor said something today about me living in fantasy of having a quiet corner of the church. Well isn't that a reasonable thing to have?

If people want to be noisy they can go to other parts of the church. Why should the people who want to have peace and quiet tolerate the noisy ones??? When the noisy ones dont do the same in return and respect the quiet ones??

Also he seemed to think children(or kids) have an inability to be quiet. Well no, thats not true. This is really bothering me. I've worked with children and its actually the adults that don't know how to shut up.

Are you an introvert? I am, and I like quite or softly spoken people, and the ability to sit there quietly instead of jib jabbing away. I tend to think that quite people are more confident than the person that fills every quite pause with yap yap yap yap.

I sit towards the front of the church, being on the outskirts is a natural position for introverts. The reason I sit up front is because the loud children are in the back of the church.

Children can be quite. Take for example my dog. My dog would bark, and bark and bark. I hit the dog over the head with a rolled up news paper. The dog looked at me like I was crazy, later barked, then I hit the dog over the head with the news paper. Next time, before the dog barked, it squirmed a little, whimpered softly, looked at me and grunted "I give up" and was quite. How does it feel to know that my dog is more disciplined and shows more intelligence than some of your unruly children? Yap Yap Yap Yap

Really, there's a war between introverts and extroverts, especially in the Pentecostal church. All the yelling, hand waving etc is enough to drive anyone into a Reformed church.

God bless,
William

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If I sit at the front of the church I get blasted by the sound system which is why I sit at the back.
Also the more older and deaf you are, the more you sit at the front.
The back is meant to be the children, but its more quiet! I think my pastor doesn't actually know how loud he and the music team is.
He thinks that children are noisy but they aren't. They don't bother me, but really they should be sitting near the front so to see, but they get coralled to the back cos he thinks they are noisy. He's wrong!!

Upvote 0

Cush

Orthodox Presbyterian
Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
✟19,019.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't know of any 'reformed churches' near me but I think one day I will have to check one out, or maybe a church of christ, I hear they don't even have instruments, so you can even hear yourself singing in worship.

Check out the OPC locator: http://www.opc.org/

God bless,
William

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cush

Orthodox Presbyterian
Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
✟19,019.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am beginning to think my church is backward.

Well, some of the OPC uses instruments, and the congregation sings from the hymnals. Some are psalm singing only with no instruments though. If you're looking for entertainment, jungle drums ect, then this Reformed church probably wouldn't fit you. The OPC follows the Regulative principle in worship.

Also, our sound system really doesn't extend to the front of the building. The people up front can hear the Pastor fine. The sound system is more for the people in the back that need some added amplification. Reformed in general are not the yelling, uh huh saying, Amen Amen over top of the Pastor type church. Not saying there is anything wrong with the other, but personally, I like disciplined people that don't interrupt the service. There's nothing worse than visiting another church and sitting next to someone that competes with the Pastor.

God bless,
William

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You may want to do some research on meditative prayer and speak with your Pastor about starting a ministry group at your church for such a thing. Show him what it's like in action - silence can be golden :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, some of the OPC uses instruments, and the congregation sings from the hymnals. Some are psalm singing only with no instruments though. If you're looking for entertainment, jungle drums ect, then this Reformed church probably wouldn't fit you. The OPC follows the Regulative principle in worship.

Also, our sound system really doesn't extend to the front of the building. The people up front can hear the Pastor fine. The sound system is more for the people in the back that need some added amplification. Reformed in general are not the yelling, uh huh saying, Amen Amen over top of the Pastor type church. Not saying there is anything wrong with the other, but personally, I like disciplined people that don't interrupt the service. There's nothing worse than visiting another church and sitting next to someone that competes with the Pastor.

God bless,
William
I love the Psalms; and the Messianic ones are so wonderfully instructive about the Redeemed and His coming sufferings. :)

Reactions: Cush
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
At our previous church, pastor established that fellowshipping was done outside the sanctuary. Folks were encouraged to come early to services for prayer.
Good idea, i dont really know why my pastor objected to a quiet corner since its within the sanctuary. We have rooms outside of it where children can go and be nosisy or babies can cry and be nursed. Maybe he just thought I wanted the entire church to be quiet.

I dont know. Some people just have weird ideas on what quiet means. Its not a bad thing.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No well, Ive put books in the corner so people can read quietly. Everyone else can be noisy but if people dont want to join in the noise and chatter they can read. Not everyone is a chatterbox at church.

Also I can read while everyone else is singing..we even have prayer when others sing..but sometimes its so loud we have to go in the other room cos we cant even hear ourselves pray.

Maybe its just noisy extrovert people dont appreciate quiet. I mean even the holy spirit isnt in the thunderstorm, or earthquake, Or fire...hes the still small voice. So quiet that its a whisper.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My church is baptist, not pentecostal. I have been to pentecostals church before. Its...different, but wouldnt want to go there every week. I think maybe my baptist is a wannabe pentecostal church. I raise my hands, in worship but I dont yell.
I even say amen at the end of group prayers when nobody else bothers..but they cant hear me.

can you be a quiet pentecostal. Or a loud reformed christian?

Upvote 0