Lost Interest

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I find it helpful to use the audio Bible feature of the YouVersion Bible app for my phone. I do the One Year Bible plan and listen to it each night as I go to bed.

Yeah I love YouVersion. I think I may try to do that, seems like a good idea.

Upvote 0

Eloy

Light
Sep 16, 2012
✟656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A couple of things really bother me about this post. First, how can his Bible not be the Holy Bible? Second, why would you subtly question whether or not he's a Christian? My wife is a Christian; whereas I'm the Bible thumper, she's the church goer. She doesn't read the Bible, but boy is she set on being at church every weekend. I read the Bible for literally hours a day, but she's got to grab me by the ear half the time to get me to church.

First, many Unholy books are on the market today are proven not to be the Holy Bible, but are mere Bible wannabes, clear misnomers because their content is manifested to not be God's words, but man's words. Second, many people that are not interested in reading the Holy Bible are proven not to be Christians. Thirdly, because you read the Bible and your wife does not, has zero to do with a person not interested in the written words from God. Fourthly, because you are bothered by the truth, perhaps you are in support of people that are not interested in reading the Holy Bible. I encouraged the poster to pray about this and to set a time aside each day to read some of the Bible. This is right instruction, and I suggested that perhaps his Bible is not the Holy Bible because it is a fact that many corrupted Bibles are on the market. So if you're bothered by my post, then I suggest that you pray about defending people who are not interested in the Bible, and I also suggest that you encourage your wife to read the Bible along with you. Amen? Amen.

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First, many Unholy books are on the market today are proven not to be the Holy Bible, but are mere Bible wannabes, clear misnomers because their content is manifested to not be God's words, but man's words. Second, many people that are not interested in reading the Holy Bible are proven not to be Christians. Thirdly, because you read the Bible and your wife does not, has zero to do with a person not interested in the written words from God. Fourthly, because you are bothered by the truth, perhaps you are in support of people that are not interested in reading the Holy Bible. I encouraged the poster to pray about this and to set a time aside each day to read some of the Bible. This is right instruction, and I suggested that perhaps his Bible is not the Holy Bible because it is a fact that many corrupted Bibles are on the market. So if you're bothered by my post, then I suggest that you pray about defending people who are not interested in the Bible, and I also suggest that you encourage your wife to read the Bible along with you. Amen? Amen.

Sorry Eloy I may not have worded my original post correctly.

I'm not totally disinterested. I like reading it, but the urge that i used to have is just kind of faded away, so much so that I just don't feel like picking it up. I used to enjoy reading it a lot, but that urge is gone. I agree with you and others who say to put time to read it aside during the day. I am going to try to do that. No guarantees though as I've tried it before..

Upvote 0

Eloy

Light
Sep 16, 2012
✟656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry Eloy I may not have worded my original post correctly.

I'm not totally disinterested. I like reading it, but the urge that i used to have is just kind of faded away, so much so that I just don't feel like picking it up. I used to enjoy reading it a lot, but that urge is gone. I agree with you and others who say to put time to read it aside during the day. I am going to try to do that. No guarantees though as I've tried it before..

You should be ok. Seriously pray in detail about this to the Lord, and pour your heart out to him asking him to renew the flame you once had. Our walk with the Lord is a relationship, sometimes we are on the mountain top with him, other times we may be in the valley of death, and other times just sailing along with no wind blowing and every thing may seem still. What you could do is start sharing your faith with other people that you meet throughout the day. Just start talking about how you are a Christian and how Christ saved you and how your life is different now from how it was before you were a Christian to how it is better after you became a Christian. When you share your beliefs with others it should spark interest in both you and the person you are talking with. There is also the Bible on audio, where you can listen to the Bible without reading. Everyone is different, but the Word of God is my very life so I never get bored with the Holy Scriptures. If it were not for my Lord I would have no life, I owe him all that I am, and I pray daily that he will use me to lead others to him so that they too may become saved and have the brand new life that comes from the Lord. He is so awesome, so glorious, so magnificent, so wonderful, so holy, so perfect, so true, there is none like him in all the world, this Iesous whom has laid down his life for me. My God, and my Lord. O my God, how my soul does magnify you. High and lifted up you are, I will praise you. O lee she counda, my leedeo homa: I magnify you Lord, you worthy of all praise.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others

Hmmm, all my Bibles (NIV, ESV, HCSB, the NKJV, and the KJV) all have the same message and lead us to Jesus as our Lord and Savior. As a matter of fact the NIV Men's Devotional Bible was a contributing factor in giving my life to Christ.

I believe that I have also mentioned in another thread that you participated in that my wife is no longer able to read the KJV because of her MS which is causing problems with her cognative ability. So she mainly reads her NIV Women's Devotional Bible and at times from my ESV.

The KJV is a nice Bible and all, but is not the only Bible in town that has God's message of salvation through His Son Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

vocalyocal

Dec 23, 2012
✟833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You might just be someone who needs to learn through experience rather than study, judging from your signature; you observe God's glory through His actual creation. I'm like this too. When it comes to God I don't learn through big revelations through the bible. But I do learn from what I read through experience. I wouldn't worry about it. That you don't have a burning yearning desire to have your nose glued to the bible does not make you less a Christian. Just get the essentials down and let God work on the rest.

i just feel a need to warn the OP this poster does not carry any identifying symbol of being a follower of Jesus Christ, and you should know that her responses have a very subtle hiss to them as i read them

Upvote 0

LifesPriority

Dec 11, 2012
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can any of you guys think of any reasons why I just lost interest in reading the bible? Like my desire is not as strong as it was a month ago. With the lack of my desire I just never pick it up anymore. I really wish I knew why I just like lost interest and no longer feel the need to pick it up, when i desperately need get into it. I'm lacking the knowledge that I need when I put it off.
This has happened to me, let me share with you what I learnt and how I handle my dry spells:

Just as we have seasons in the year so we will have different seasons with our relationship with God, the problem usually arises when we want to feel our way into action. Unfortunately if we rely on our feelings then we don't act. So first I had to make a decision to read my Bible daily irrespective of how I felt.

The second decision was to decide (especially when going through a dry period) to read something that was more relevant to what was going on in my life so I would start by asking questions and then go to the Bible. An example in your current situation would be: "Why am I feeling dry towards the Bible?" This question might take you to passages such as Mt 4:4 and that might be the scripture to meditate on throughout the day. I would also take notes and journal my thoughts and answers.

Third solution could be to read the bible with the aid of a good commentary, this will give you more insight into passages that you probably are familiar with.

Another idea is to read through books of the bible

My last suggestion is to listen to the audio version with your Bible open as if someone is reading it to you. Remember "Consequently faith comes from hearing the message"

These are a few ways that have helped me, I will be happy to clarify any areas that isn't clear.

I hope these suggestions will help!

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
i just feel a need to warn the OP this poster does not carry any identifying symbol of being a follower of Jesus Christ, and you should know that her responses have a very subtle hiss to them as i read them

I can assure you that zeener is a Christian and she has been a member here on these forums for over 2 years now.

Zeener is a valuable member of these forums.

Upvote 0

MZS

May 18, 2009
✟15,214.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bible reading should be coupled with prayer and action. Does a good friend or family member urgently need prayer? Are you sharing your faith? Find a group that goes out street witnessing and tag along and try it yourself - then read Matthew and it will all become quite relevant to you. In America and most westernized nations, we have it so easy faith-wise that we often take it for granted. A good book to read with respect to faith is "Faith Like Potatoes" - also there is a movie made from this on DVD - watch/read it and you will not be the same.

Another thing that may be helpful is to attend a church that teaches through books of the bible, Sunday by Sunday (expository teaching). Then, you can read ahead of the next weeks lesson and try to find your own spiritual insights to compare to what the pastor brought forth - I found this to be very helpful. Sometimes I would even ask the pastor about different passages.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vocalyocal

Dec 23, 2012
✟833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can assure you that zeener is a Christian and she has been a member here on these forums for over 2 years now.

Zeener is a valuable member of these forums.

i have no knowledge of her being a christian, as she doesnt display she believes in any type of religion. and her post was not Spiritually good advice. telling any christian not to be concerned with Gods word, "dont worry about it" is not the voice of the Spirit of God.

God wants the followers of His Son Jesus to be conformed to His image, one can only do that by finding out what Jesus was like, what He did, what He said

your not conformed to the image of Jesus by watching nature, thats a idealogy of someone who worships nature and trees, its what anyone finds if they are apart of wicca and witchcraft

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
i have no knowledge of her being a christian, as she doesnt display she believes in any type of religion. and her post was not Spiritually good advice. telling any christian not to be concerned with Gods word, "dont worry about it" is not the voice of the Spirit of God.

God wants the followers of His Son Jesus to be conformed to His image, one can only do that by finding out what Jesus was like, what He did, what He said

your not conformed to the image of Jesus by watching nature, thats a idealogy of someone who worships nature and trees, its what anyone finds if they are apart of wicca and witchcraft

Actually, her advice was very good because she is correct.

She is saying that everyone is different and how each person hears God is different. Some hear God best through reading the Bible, while others hear God best while singing and praying and yet others hear God best through their experiences, such as being out in nature.

I can relate to that since I hear our God best when I am outside in nature and admiring His handiwork. I am able to see God in His creation, through the trees, the birds and the animals. I find my mind clears easier and I am able to hear His still small voice when I am out in nature.

Just like learning for me. I do best with hands on experience, not reading or hearing how to do something. I have to get my hands dirty so to speak in order for me to really grasp the subject at hand.

That is how I am able to hear God. Yes, I read my Bible, but I don't hear Him in that way for the most part, what I described above is how I hear from God better than any other way. For zeener it is probably the same.

It definitely doesn't mean that we're into witchcraft or wicca, it just means we have a different way of hearing from God than you do.

Upvote 0

vocalyocal

Dec 23, 2012
✟833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually, her advice was very good because she is correct.

She is saying that everyone is different and how each person hears God is different. Some hear God best through reading the Bible, while others hear God best while singing and praying and yet others hear God best through their experiences, such as being out in nature.

I can relate to that since I hear our God best when I am outside in nature and admiring His handiwork. I am able to see God in His creation, through the trees, the birds and the animals. I find my mind clears easier and I am able to hear His still small voice when I am out in nature.

Just like learning for me. I do best with hands on experience, not reading or hearing how to do something. I have to get my hands dirty so to speak in order for me to really grasp the subject at hand.

That is how I am able to hear God. Yes, I read my Bible, but I don't hear Him in that way for the most part, what I described above is how I hear from God better than any other way. For zeener it is probably the same.

It definitely doesn't mean that we're into witchcraft or wicca, it just means we have a different way of hearing from God than you do.

actually i went through some of your past post and i agree with you, you dont hear God at all through reading the bible.........thats really to bad because it is the best way to know what He likes and what He dont like

and to say His word is "Boring"..........well I sure as heck dont want to be standing next to anyone who declares the author of life has written a boring book, actually it was boring to me too, before i was saved and filled with the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Butterfly

Tins the Chocoholic
Apr 4, 2004
Hugging a cat and eating chocolate
✟105,420.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I actually agree with Zeener. And if that gets me shot down, that's ok. Building a relationship with God and communicating with God is more than just Bible and prayer...Bible reading and prayer are vital parts of the relationship, but to think that someone is not a Christian because of their lack of Bible reading/prayer is going pretty far.

We can learn a lot about God through his creation, through ourselves, through others, through our circumstances. We can read and gain head knowledge about God but until we start building that relationship, the knowledge is just that-knowledge, without relationship.

God wants us to love him, not just obey him because it's the right thing to do. He would get no pleasure out of robots. That's why he created us with free will...to choose to do the right thing. And if we do choose wrong, he's there to forgive us when we ask for forgiveness.

There is nothing in the Bible that says you HAVE to read his Word or pray every day x amount of times a day in order to be counted a "good" Christian. We all learn about God in different ways, through different journeys. You can worship just as well when you are in the woods as when you are in a church or at home. You can marvel at the wonders of God's creation...and be in awe of it because you recognize that no human being could ever create something so vastly unique and beautiful. That alone can cause one to fall to their knees and worship. I was raised with so much Bible this, Bible that, and I have a lot of head knowledge, but the way I got to know God was by studying who He is...and I did that by taking away everything I knew about Him, and building up from there. I took long walks in nature, early in the morning watching the sun rise, and at night watching the sun set in the same place...I listened to lots of Christian music...and I found myself in a place of wanting to learn about God, instead of doing it because I HAD to. And now? I have a great relationship with God. I have many key verses I fall back on when I can't seem to find anything that "fits"...I have a "life verse" that is one of my most strengthening and encouraging verses. Often my Bible reading will be through others who post verses, pages on Facebook who post verses and devotionals, stuff like that. I'm not saying that it should be that way for the rest of my life, but I also know it's part of my journey, and I don't feel guilty for it. God is showing me who he is, through other people who shine his example. I know all the stories from the Bible...like the back of my hand...but it never did me any good until I started learning it through experience...through other people whose lives were changed by God, who shone God's testimony just by their expression of love and grace towards me in my weakness.

I learned God's forgiveness through others who forgave me. I learned his love through others who love me unconditionally. I learned his grace through those who accepted me in spite of my weaknesses. I learned his mercy when I received forgiveness though I should not have. I learned his peace when I looked at his creation and saw how peaceful it is. I learned his joy when I heard worship being expressed through music. I learned of his patience (though I myself am unable to be patient lol) through his patience with me through other people who were patient with me. I learned his gentleness through my pastor who is a very gentle and wise man. I learned his goodness when he showed me through creation, through others, and through my life experiences, that he was so infinitely good and would take care of me no matter what.

You are by now probably questioning my Christianity, but I assure you, I have been a Christian since I was 6, rededicated my life about a year ago, I go to church every week and am part of several ministries there, I am aware of the gifts God has bestowed on me and am using them however He wants me to, and I have a very good relationship with God that is balanced between love and acceptance, and obedience and respect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
actually i went through some of your past post and i agree with you, you dont hear God at all through reading the bible.........thats really to bad because it is the best way to know what He likes and what He dont like

and to say His word is "Boring"..........well I sure as heck dont want to be standing next to anyone who declares the author of life has written a boring book, actually it was boring to me too, before i was saved and filled with the Spirit.

What you're describing is a cookie cutter God that can only speak through the Bible and that's not what our God is. He speaks to each of us in the way that we will hear Him best, he is not confined to the Bible for expressing His still small voice.

If you completely read my last reply to you, you would see why I find the Bible boring. Because I don't learn much through reading, I learn through hands on experience the best, hence being in nature and getting my hands dirty so to speak is how He speaks to me. Reading a book that isn't the Bible gets boring to me after I have read it once and that's not reading to learn, that's just reading to read.

I am saved and filled with the Spirit with evidence of that in other areas of my life. So for you to imply in a passive way that I am not saved is very wrong.

edit: Just so that you're aware, I plan on reading Bible stories to my 8 week old daughter starting tomorrow and starting my own Bible reading plan, also starting tomorrow. When reading the Bible gets tedious I take a break from reading it. This latest break has been since my daughter was born in November. She has had some health issues and we were in the hospital twice for a period of days, plus my wife is having some multiple sclerosis issues, so my time has been in taking care of my family these last several weeks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Demons are no laughing matter. They exist, and will torment you. Yes, they may be responsible for your lack of desire for the scriptures, especially if the change happened suddenly.

We have the power to pray off such attacks, but they don't go easily, or quickly. Once we do that, we have to go back to our reading, even if the desire doesn't come back at once.

Upvote 0

Butterfly

Tins the Chocoholic
Apr 4, 2004
Hugging a cat and eating chocolate
✟105,420.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
But at the same time, if we focus on them too much, they will show up...it's a balance. And also, I don't believe that someone's lack of interest in the Bible is necessarily demons torturing someone. It's like any other relationship...it goes through dry spells. Some say it shouldn't go through dry spells, yada yada, but it does. When we first really get interested in Christ and become a believer, it's like a honeymoon period...and then it wears off. This is when it matters the most...to see who is going to endure, who is still going to believe, who is going to choose to trust and to have faith. It only takes a tiny bit of faith...and you don't need to know a lot to choose. We are empowered through Christ to overcome anything. When we look at a relationship with God as a relationship instead of a sort of contract where we are robot-like, it changes the perspective. It changes the expectations. God doesn't expect us to be perfect...he expects us to be human, and forgives us when we are, so long as we ask for forgiveness. A simple thing to fall back on is the fruits of the Spirit. If nothing else, these are the things God wants us to display throughout our lives. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. Those are things that God exhibits and wants us to see and experience about himself, and then learn about, and take on, those fruits. But we can't learn about them until we see those things in God, and in others.

Upvote 0

tbogunro

Sep 30, 2012
DeKalb, IL
✟15,867.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can any of you guys think of any reasons why I just lost interest in reading the bible? Like my desire is not as strong as it was a month ago. With the lack of my desire I just never pick it up anymore. I really wish I knew why I just like lost interest and no longer feel the need to pick it up, when i desperately need get into it. I'm lacking the knowledge that I need when I put it off.

lol don't worry that's how the devil plays. He lives you alone for a while after becoming closer with God then out of the blue he brings distractions which lead to losing interest. It's a very clever tactic because he wants you to feel a little security and forget the things that use to occupy your time then BAM waves of distractions come in and those distractions feel new again and much more better than spending time in the word. Don't fear, you're loved either way and now you know EXACTLY what the devil is trying to do so don't feel powerless or disappointed in yourself. Just continue having CONVERSATIONS with God don't ignore Him and God will ignite that fire within you :)

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

You've been going through a painful period for some weeks now. I'm not surprised that you're starting to react by pulling back. It's a natural protective reaction. You can't keep going the way you have, so it's good that you're stopping. I'm praying that you'll find a better way forward. I think you know what I'd recommend: church and youth group (and I'd still recommend one of the Lutheran churches for that), a disciplined prayer life (which will include reading the Bible), and living your ordinary life as a Christian. But you've got some barriers stopping you that I'm not sure I know what to do about.

Upvote 0

Eloy

Light
Sep 16, 2012
✟656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm, all my Bibles (NIV, ESV, HCSB, the NKJV, and the KJV) all have the same message and lead us to Jesus as our Lord and Savior. As a matter of fact the NIV Men's Devotional Bible was a contributing factor in giving my life to Christ.

I believe that I have also mentioned in another thread that you participated in that my wife is no longer able to read the KJV because of her MS which is causing problems with her cognative ability. So she mainly reads her NIV Women's Devotional Bible and at times from my ESV.

The KJV is a nice Bible and all, but is not the only Bible in town that has God's message of salvation through His Son Jesus Christ.

Read whatsoever you want, but as for me I will read the Holy Bible. Amen? Amen.

Upvote 0