Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Do you think that life may exist on other planets?

If yes, why? What kind of evidence supports this possibility?

If no, why? What kind of evidence or arguments support your position?

Today, we confirmed that there are organic molecules embedded in comets/meteorites.

Consider this question: Were these organic molecules fragments of bigger organic molecules or were they new molecules constructed from atoms?

After that, consider: where would that process take place? And how would the organic molecules ended in comets/meteorites?

Hopefully, you would have a theory after that.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Personally I'd say that there is an abundance of life out there in the universe.

The evidence that we can detect organic molecules which formed all over the place with no direct association with the earth implies that the raw building block of life can be found pretty much everywhere.

Given the availability of material, and shear size of the universe, even if life can only form on planets almost identical to primordial Earth, probability should bring it about many thousands of times.

Now as to the probability of intelligent or even complex life we just don't have enough data to make assumptions.
(I'm disappointed that the odds could be that intelligent aliens are just too separated from us in terms of distance and time for us to ever meet.)

Upvote 0

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Now as to the probability of intelligent or even complex life we just don't have enough data to make assumptions.
(I'm disappointed that the odds could be that intelligent aliens are just too separated from us in terms of distance and time for us to ever meet.)
There doesn't seem to be much evidence to support the existence of intelligent life.

:p

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

I say yes, because of the sheer probability of it. If it can occur on Earth, there's almost certainly an environment out there that's sufficiently similar :)

Upvote 0

KhlulHloo

It's not pronounced Kuh-THOO-loo
Nov 28, 2007
In a sunken city where the angles are wrong
✟8,709.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
God has caused life to spontaneously evolve on every planet that God has chosen to give the required components.

Everyone knows this.
This statement is approved by the Emptiness, due to it's value.
How would I know? Ain't been there. Ain't seen that. Anyone that says there is or there isn't is just using wishful thinking.
There is.
Trust me.
Yup. Even if you argue that life is a 1 in a million possibility or even a 1 in a billion possibility, in a universe with billions of planets life is an assurance.
Most peeps don't realize that "one in a million" happenings are (statistically) likely to happen at least 300 times per day in the USA alone.
One in a billion? 6 times every day, worldwide.
Why would life on other planets try and communicate with us?
That was not the question of the OP, Peep.
Please try to keep up, MIT
wink.gif

There doesn't seem to be much evidence to support the existence of intelligent life.

tongue.gif
Even on this planet
I say yes, because of the sheer probability of it. If it can occur on Earth, there's almost certainly an environment out there that's sufficiently similar :)
Or not-
Waterbears can survive the vacuum of space for nearly 10 days,
They can survive temps down to -272 F.
Surviving extreme dehydration? Got it, at 3% water composition.
Insane levels of radiation? Yep, they got it nailed down.

Yep, my babies, raised on your planet, and yet able to undergo completely alien environments.

:clap:

Sure, they're harmless to humans (at least that's what I keep saying), but they can survive insane levels of dehydration, radiation, and even the dead, cold void of outer space.

And they are in..
..your
..home.

RIGHT NOW.

MWAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Most peeps don't realize that "one in a million" happenings are (statistically) likely to happen at least 300 times per day in the USA alone.
One in a billion? 6 times every day, worldwide.
Someone once worked out that every human should, by sheer luck, observe a miraculous event once a month ('miraculous' being a one-in-a-million event). Take THAT :p

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
It depends on the number of universes that currently are or ever have been.

If the universe created by "our" big bang is the only one, it would suggest that the chance of life evolving is pretty high (if life only evolved on 1 planet, it's pretty weird that it also resulted in highly complex and intelligent life like humans, since the odds of that happening are much smaller than just life by itself appearing. So the fact that there is intelligent life here, indicates that there must be less intelligent life on other planets)

If the universe created by our big bang is only one out of many / infinite, the chance of creating life can be almost infinitely small, and it will still happen. If there are / have been infinite universes, as some physicists believe, the search for a "likely" mechanism of abiogenesis might be fruitless - all the stuff about RNA worlds etc might be nonsense, and the first (simple) cell might in fact just have randomly assembled itself. It's extremely unlikely.. but not infinitely unlikely. When there are infinite universes, there are going to be infinite universes in which fully formed cells (and bigger things...) just spontaneously appear. But such a thing won't happen twice in the same universe, so in that case we would be the only life in this universe.

(I personally think that RNA self-replicators etc can exist, so the chance of life appearing is pretty high, leading to multiple inhabited planets in the universe =))

Upvote 0

Nomarga

Nov 19, 2010
Iowa
✟16,316.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is almost certainly life on Mars. A numbers of probes have landed there over the years and in spite of efforts to completely sterilize these probes, it's a pretty safe bet that at least some microbes survived.

Now there's an interesting thought. Supposing that's true and those microbes end up adapting and thriving on Mars, we could very well be inadvertently responsible for an intelligent species x years from now. Kind of fun to think about.

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Considering the fact that the whole universe is made up of the same elements and that life has been shown to thrive in some very inhospitable environments, then there is no reason why life should or could not exist elsewhere in this cosmos.

Biology follows the laws of chemistry which in turn follows the laws of physics, and the laws of physics are the same everywhere in this universe.

Are We Alone In The Universe? | Watch Free Documentary Online

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KhlulHloo

It's not pronounced Kuh-THOO-loo
Nov 28, 2007
In a sunken city where the angles are wrong
✟8,709.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Someone once worked out that every human should, by sheer luck, observe a miraculous event once a month ('miraculous' being a one-in-a-million event). Take THAT :p
"Take" that?
I embrace that, with all appendages.

'Course I am what I am ;)

IA IA!

Upvote 0

Agonaces of Susa

Evolution is not science: legalize creationism.
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego
Visit site
✟11,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It's a known fact that there is life on other planets.

I know this based upon direct revelation from the LORD.

"And he [Methuselah] was moreover with the angels of God these six jubilees of years, and they showed him everything which is on the earth and in the heavens, the rule of the sun, and he wrote down everything." -- Jubilees 4:21

"Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world." -- Jesus Christ, extraterrestrial, John 8:23

"And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold ...." -- Jesus Christ, extraterrestrial, John 10:16

"My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." -- Jesus Christ, extraterrestrial, John 18:36

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

"And he [Methuselah] was moreover with the angels of God these six jubilees of years, and they showed him everything which is on the earth and in the heavens, the rule of the sun, and he wrote down everything." -- Jubilees 4:21

"Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world." -- Jesus Christ, extraterrestrial, John 8:23

"And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold ...." -- Jesus Christ, extraterrestrial, John 10:16

"My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." -- Jesus Christ, extraterrestrial, John 18:36
Yes dear! Some tea?

Upvote 0
D

Deleteriousnonsense

Hmmm. Do you surmise from this rather unique reading of scripture that we are resurrected onto another planet?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

You're equivocating the modern English definition of the word 'world' with the old English understanding of an ancient Hebrew word translated into 'world'. Your logic is flawed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Agonaces of Susa

Evolution is not science: legalize creationism.
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego
Visit site
✟11,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You're equivocating the modern English definition of the word 'world' with the old English understanding of an ancient Hebrew word translated into 'world'. Your logic is flawed.
Do you claim that when Jesus said he is "NOT of this WORLD" what he REALLY meant to say is that he "IS of THIS WORLD"?

Reading comprehension fail! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

It's puff puff pass. You smoke it all and see what happens?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Do you claim that when Jesus said he is "NOT of this WORLD" what he REALLY meant to say is that he "IS of THIS WORLD"?
No. What he said was in Aramaic. This has been translated, interpreted, translated, interpreted, translated, interpreted, until one man, 400 years ago, gave us the phrase "not of this world".

That is not what Jesus said. Not only has that text been translated and retranslated countless times, but this 'final' translation is itself 400 years old.

Even if the translator was completely accurate, there has been four hundred years since that time - the English language has advanced somewhat.

Basically, you're taking the modern definition of the world 'world' ("a physical planet orbiting a star"), and equating it to the Old English definition of the word 'world' ("place wherein one dwells"). Do you really not see why the Biblical verse you cited might have a different meaning of the word 'world' than is used by modern English?

At least tell me you understand that the word 'gay' has a different meaning now than it did 200 years ago.

Reading comprehension fail! :thumbsup:
To say the least. Read what I said, and you'll understand my qualm is with the word 'world', not the word 'is'.

Upvote 0