Irish005

Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus
Dec 21, 2010
✟15,149.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Do you think that life may exist on other planets?

Yes.

If yes, why? What kind of evidence supports this possibility?

Of the approximately 14 billion year old universe and the billions of stars and planets present in this universe life on other planets is an assurance.

Upvote 0

jonmichael818

Nov 28, 2010
united states
✟7,969.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How would I know? Ain't been there. Ain't seen that. Anyone that says there is or there isn't is just using wishful thinking.
I would agree that no one can say that there IS or that there ISN"T. But do you think that there may or may not be life elsewhere in the universe?

Upvote 0

jonmichael818

Nov 28, 2010
united states
✟7,969.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes.

Of the approximately 14 billion year old universe and the billions of stars and planets present in this universe life on other planets is an assurance.
So you are saying that the statistical probability is evidence to suggest life on other plants.

I agree, and here are two examples of people who have used statistics to show the probability:
-The Drake Equation
And Dr. Amir Aczel expands on the Drake equation in his book:
-Probability One
Though I have not had a chance to read the whole book yet.

Upvote 0

Frumious Bandersnatch

Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
✟23,431.00
Faith
Unitarian
Do you think that life may exist on other planets?

If yes, why? What kind of evidence supports this possibility?

If no, why? What kind of evidence or arguments support your position?
Since there are estimated to be between 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 and 300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe I would say that highly unlikely that ours is the only one with life.
The Estimated Number of Stars in the Universe Just Tripled | 80beats | Discover Magazine

Of course all the red dwarfs in the new higher count may be unlikely to harbor life but that still leaves lots of sun like stars and at least the article reminds me of one of my favorite SF TV series.
Red Dwarf

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

matthewgar

Jun 18, 2010
powell river BC. Canada.
✟15,965.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
Well it's easy, unless life was specially created here and only here chances are there is life elsewhere in the universe, Billions of galaxies, with billions of stars, many stars we already found in our own area with planets, and multiple planets/moons here in our own solar system with possible life, or had life at one time...chances are we arn't alone.

Now the issue to me is how common/rare is intelligent life.

First you have to have a planet that bacteria type life evolve/form, then have the planet support anything bigger. *one of saturns moons likly has nothing higher then bacteria, or mars right now*

If there is anything bigger then bacteria, does higher intelligence ever evolve, there are quiet a few intelligent animals here but only one human race.

If intelligent life forms evolve, are they a species taht could evolve abilities to use technology enough to leave the planet? Look at ravens and other highly intelligent animals on our planet, is it likly even with their intelligence that they eventually evolve the ability to use technology.

If the right type of intelligence and body structure evolved, are they on a planet capable of supporting advanced technology, you could have super highly intelligent mermaid like things on europa but being under water, and under ice is there any technology thaty could make to allow them to leave there?

Among other things, but a thought I had a while ago for how rare intelligent life capable of travel be. But in the end, if life is likly in our own solar system, then what about else where? I don't know how common or if there are any other species like us in the universe, but some form of life is likly.

Upvote 0

matthewgar

Jun 18, 2010
powell river BC. Canada.
✟15,965.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
Oh and lets not forget how many times life went excitinct here on earth, chances of surviving to have intelligent life able to travel is low.

And a side note since someone willbring it up, why hasn't Seti found any signals.

Well asuming for a moment that FTL travel is possible, then FTL comunications be required, and do we have the knowledge of what would be used, or the capacity to detect any forms of FTL and if we do would it appear nothing more then static interference in what we use. May only be a hundred or two hundred years between radio signals on average and FTL comunications in wich case there be a very small window we could ever detect such signals.

Upvote 0

Irish005

Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus
Dec 21, 2010
✟15,149.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So you are saying that the statistical probability is evidence to suggest life on other plants.

Yup. Even if you argue that life is a 1 in a million possibility or even a 1 in a billion possibility, in a universe with billions of planets life is an assurance.

Maybe not in this solar system, maybe not even in this galaxy. But in the millions of other galaxies with billions of stars and billions of planets there is life. However, the distance between those galaxies, measured in many light years, will probably never allow us to visit any place outside our galaxy.

Upvote 0

jonmichael818

Nov 28, 2010
united states
✟7,969.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And a side note since someone willbring it up, why hasn't Seti found any signals.

Well asuming for a moment that FTL travel is possible, then FTL comunications be required, and do we have the knowledge of what would be used, or the capacity to detect any forms of FTL and if we do would it appear nothing more then static interference in what we use. May only be a hundred or two hundred years between radio signals on average and FTL comunications in wich case there be a very small window we could ever detect such signals.
Thats a great subject.
I like how Physicist Michio Kaku explains this issue, check out this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw8dcb8iKSM[/youtube]

Upvote 0

matthewgar

Jun 18, 2010
powell river BC. Canada.
✟15,965.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
it may be that FTL anything isn't possible, but I think it's too early to rule anything out, and as for aliens here, they likly exist around the universe, and who knows ifthey visted or not, but I don't really expect that they are sitting there doing everything people think they are, and likly not even here :>

Though I did joke that maybe what happened with all those black birds is they flew into a invisible ufo hovering above the area like in Signs :>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bushido216

Aug 30, 2003
New York
✟22,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree that life on other planets is probable, but fundamentally that's just a statistical argument, and those aren't terribly useful.

That being said, I'm going to use a statistical argument. Even if there were nearly infinite FTL species flying around, it's still quite possible we'd never see or hear from any of them. Shoot a photon in any random direction and, assuming that it clears your immediate surroundings, the odds of it coming within 100 ly of anything ever again are extraordinarily remote.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would life on other planets try and communicate with us?

They are probably in a state of cachinnation at our scientists, who transmitted the Aricebo message, depicting Pluto as a planet.

QV our solar system, represented by the yellow row of dots:

images

Upvote 0

granpa

Noahide/Rationalist
Apr 23, 2007
California
✟3,072.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God made the universe to be inhabited.
IMHO, life not only exists elsewhere but is in fact extremely abundant.
I agree -- the planets and stars are probably used by the angels for whatever reason.

Upvote 0