Bryan Cotton

Sep 23, 2008
Victorville, CA
✟15,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=&quot]Question? Do you watch movies or T.V. series full of profane language or activities that go against biblical teachings (like fornication, murder, etc.?) Is it right to believe I should not have a profane mouth or cheat on my wife, but get entertain by these very same acts via movie or T.V. series.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm hoping to get some dialogue here. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT]

NatalieJan777

Humbled before GOD
Jul 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
✟17,605.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
[FONT=&quot]Question? Do you watch movies or T.V. series full of profane language or activities that go against biblical teachings (like fornication, murder, etc.?) Is it right to believe I should not have a profane mouth or cheat on my wife, but get entertain by these very same acts via movie or T.V. series.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

I personally watch very little TV. Most times I do not because of the spiritual convictions I have as I watch. Not watching much TV to me is fine, because I can get entertainment by watching my children play and interact, listening to the birds sing etc.... there is much more entertainment that is missed out on just by turning on the tube if you ask me.

Upvote 0

stelow

Legend
Sep 16, 2005
HEAVEN!!!
✟49,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

No I don't, I do watch some football and Christian tv. I do watch an occasional show like Bonanza or an old western movie, that does show some killing but none of the graphic stuff like they show now a days.

Upvote 0

Ursie

Nov 13, 2009
Southern Arizona
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe it is decidedly sinful, to watch shows which present evil things that go directly against what God has taught in His Word as entertainment. I am saddened that most modern churches, whatever the denomination, refuse to address sin and call it sin. Instead, we tread on eggshells in church, afraid to offend anyone with a strong stand for truth. We are called to be holy and blameless, how then can we do 75% of the things that we, as Christians, carry on doing?

Upvote 0

Bryan Cotton

Sep 23, 2008
Victorville, CA
✟15,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate the responses I got so far. I truly think that a lot of Christian will shy away from discussing this head on. Some will start to through out terms like legalistic to protect things they prefer to do yet still be considered saved.

My thing is, If someone enjoys rated R movies full of sex, fornication and violence, if it is indeed wrong or unrighteous for them to enjoy this as entertainment then some needs to say so instead of saying "It's o.k. God knows your heart and you're saved."

[FONT=&quot]My message from now on is:

Romans 12:9 ...Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good
[/FONT]
1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of ev
il.

The bigger question is, how far do you go with this? Comments?

Upvote 0

Ursie

Nov 13, 2009
Southern Arizona
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate the responses I got so far. I truly think that a lot of Christian will shy away from discussing this head on. Some will start to through out terms like legalistic to protect things they prefer to do yet still be considered saved.

My thing is, If someone enjoys rated R movies full of sex, fornication and violence, if it is indeed wrong or unrighteous for them to enjoy this as entertainment then some needs to say so instead of saying "It's o.k. God knows your heart and you're saved."

[FONT=&quot]My message from now on is:

Romans 12:9 ...Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good [/FONT]
1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

The bigger question is, how far do you go with this? Comments?

That last question is a tough one Brian. I am wrestling with this question in my life right now. I should my DH and I are both wrestling with it. God is really causing me to examine myself and it cutting out lots of junk. LOTS! We had removed most media from our home years ago, but now God is doing more refining on that. Things such as being sarcastic, how I spend my money, what I allow my kids to do, how they dress, etc.

I can't help but think that we are called to be pretty radical. After all, Jesus says that if we are truly following Him, the world will hate us. I have found that a great deal of the 'the world' resides within the walls of the American church as people are offended when sin is pointed out, or even by my obedience to Christ. I recall when my hubby and I were called by God, very specifically, to adopt a sibling group, people were almost offended at that. They were certain that we could not do it and that our family would be destroyed. I was shocked that they would not encourage this since the bible tells us that true religion is to care for the widow and orphan. What I determined, was that since they were unwilling themselves to do this, it was easier to justify when someone wasn't doing it right under their noses. That was seven years ago and those folks who didn't like it are no longer at the church. Interesting.

I think we must, indeed, be quite radical. We must look different, act different, smell different, taste different(to the Lord) feel different and be different in every aspect of our beings.

Upvote 0

Bryan Cotton

Sep 23, 2008
Victorville, CA
✟15,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That last question is a tough one Brian. I am wrestling with this question in my life right now. I should my DH and I are both wrestling with it. God is really causing me to examine myself and it cutting out lots of junk. LOTS! We had removed most media from our home years ago, but now God is doing more refining on that. Things such as being sarcastic, how I spend my money, what I allow my kids to do, how they dress, etc.

That's where I'm at right now. And the more I move towards trying to be righteous in the sight of the lord, the more it seems that people look at me different...and not in a good way.

Upvote 0

Ursie

Nov 13, 2009
Southern Arizona
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's where I'm at right now. And the more I move towards trying to be righteous in the sight of the lord, the more it seems that people look at me different...and not in a good way.

Yes, I know what you mean. That becomes very difficult, but Jesus was very clear that when we are truly following Him, the world WILL hate us. I have spent years wondering why no one hated me for Christ's sake. Now that I am truly following Him, I find that I offend someone, usually a 'Christian' almost daily. It breaks my heart and makes me wonder if I am wrong to do what I'm doing, but I look at Scripture and how can I do otherwise. I should be hated by those who hate Christ, shouldn't I?

I hope you will be encouraged to know that if you are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, then you are in His will. I hope to see more people like you who are willing to cut the show and start really living the life that the believer is called to. I look forward to being able to discuss with other believers how we are to live. Specifically. I will pray for you that God will strengthen you to the task. Thanks for sharing what you're experiencing.

Reactions: Bryan Cotton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NatalieJan777

Humbled before GOD
Jul 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
✟17,605.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

Jesus has told us that because HE was rejected by this world, that those who follow HIM will be rejected by this world as well.

John 8:47 "He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."

John 13:20 "I tell you the truth, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me"

John 17:6-9 "I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They are yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours."

John 17:16-21 "They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified. My prayer is not for them alone. I pray for those who will believe in me through their message."

If they reject GOD's WORD, they have rejected Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While we should make every effort to avoid that which is evil or has a tendency to influence us evilly Believers should be known by what we do not by what we don't do (You shall know them by their fruit"). Some groups become obnoxious about what they don't do and drive people away with their "Holier than thou" attitude.

Upvote 0

NatalieJan777

Humbled before GOD
Jul 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
✟17,605.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
While we should make every effort to avoid that which is evil or has a tendency to influence us evilly Believers should be known by what we do not by what we don't do (You shall know them by their fruit"). Some groups become obnoxious about what they don't do and drive people away with their "Holier than thou" attitude.

So this is what you are saying:

This is wrong (negative because I state why I do not do something):
I do not watch TV because of the conviction I feel while doing so.

This is right (positive because I have stated what I do instead):
I am entertained by watching my children interact, listening to the birds sing, pondering GOD's words.

I should have said one but not the other huh? Even though they both give answer and explaination to the question. Even though what I do not do and what I do do both bear the good fruit?

I am seeking to understand what you are saying, please help.

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So this is what you are saying:

This is wrong (negative because I state why I do not do something):
I do not watch TV because of the conviction I feel while doing so.

This is right (positive because I have stated what I do instead):
I am entertained by watching my children interact, listening to the birds sing, pondering GOD's words.

I should have said one but not the other huh? Even though they both give answer and explaination to the question. Even though what I do not do and what I do do both bear the good fruit?

I am seeking to understand what you are saying, please help.

Loving our neighbor, doing good in the community, being a living example of Jesus Christ, sharing the Gospel when given the opportunity is what we should be known for NOT "I don't smoke, drink, chew or go with women who do".

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Regardless of content, we should be mindful about how much of our lives we spend being entertained, period. I am not saying that we should never watch TV or movies, play games, or go on the internet. But, we should be mindful, not only about the content of our entertainment, but also the extent of it.

Is our desire for entertainment standing in the way of our community with other people?
Is it keeping us from serving others?
Is it causing us to spend money that is better spent on missions and outreach?
Is it causing us to go into debt or to be financially irresponsible?
Is it causing us to be slaves to advertisers and to buy into consumerist ideals?
Is it causing us to compromise our morality for the sake of our own personal enjoyment?

My experience has been that much of what we do for entertainment has some or all of these effects on most people. However, it is a fine line between using entertainment for meaningful relaxation, interaction with others, or for other purposes that generally increase our usefulness to the Kingdom and allowing entertainment to interfere with our usefulness. So, I don't seek to make some moral pronouncement that entertainment (or any particular type thereof) is per se bad, but I do suggest that we should think seriously about how it impacts us as individuals and as a society.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NatalieJan777

Humbled before GOD
Jul 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
✟17,605.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Loving our neighbor, doing good in the community, being a living example of Jesus Christ, sharing the Gospel when given the opportunity is what we should be known for NOT "I don't smoke, drink, chew or go with women who do".

Oohhh ...... You are speaking about sin against traditions of man and not sin against the laws of GOD. I now understand thank you and may GOD BLESS!

Upvote 0

Bryan Cotton

Sep 23, 2008
Victorville, CA
✟15,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I know where you are coming from, but I think sometimes when we "make every effort to avoid that which is evil or has a tendency to influence us evilly," we tend to be known for what we do not do.

Like people know me not letting profane language come from my mouth, or to fornicate, are to get drunk. I might decide not to watch Rated R movies because they influence me evilly, but I won't condemn someone else for watching them. although I might ask them why they do.

My pastor said something this Sunday that fits in this topic.

"Don't let your righteousness become self righteousness."

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Oohhh ...... You are speaking about sin against traditions of man and not sin against the laws of GOD. I now understand thank you and may GOD BLESS!

I think he was saying something more broad than that. It seems that when Christians speak of morality, we are all too often concerned with what people ought not do. But, perhaps what is more important is what we ought to do. For example, the greatest commandment is a prescriptive, rather than a proscriptive statement: "[You should] love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength" and "[you should] love your neighbor as yourself." Likewise, Jesus said that "whatever [we] do for the least of these, [we] do also for him." This also suggests that what is truly important is not what we abstain from doing, but rather what we do, in the name of Jesus.

Certainly, to love one's neighbor as oneself requires that one sometimes abstain from certain behaviors (such as those that harm others), but what is important is not the specific behavior that is avoided, but rather the affirmative duty to love God and love others.

Upvote 0

Ursie

Nov 13, 2009
Southern Arizona
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would have to agree that it is important that we be known for what we do by faith, like James talks about. We ought to be characterized as people who love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength and our neighbors as our selves. Certainly those things are true, however, I believe it is often the case that until we get rid of the stuff that is immoral in our lives we can't see clearly to be able to love God. We have to get our "God colored glasses" on to be able to see Him and when we are immersed in sinful actions, we have on 'world colored glasses' instead.

So while we shouldn't be known for what we don't do, it should be part of the evidence of Christ in us.

Upvote 0

jarrettcpr

Jun 3, 2009
✟7,934.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe it is decidedly sinful, to watch shows which present evil things that go directly against what God has taught in His Word as entertainment. I am saddened that most modern churches, whatever the denomination, refuse to address sin and call it sin. Instead, we tread on eggshells in church, afraid to offend anyone with a strong stand for truth. We are called to be holy and blameless, how then can we do 75% of the things that we, as Christians, carry on doing?

I agree, if you are watching shows that condone, better yet approve, evil and tries to foster it. However, I watch many shows/movies that have evil in it, yet the writers and directors also show how miserable these people are. So, for those shows it is hard to say it is decidedly sinful. We can learn things from TV shows and movies, even if they are secular.

I like Dexter. A Showtime show about a serial killer. Yet, he himself only kills serial killers. A great show, IMO. Good writing. Season 1 was the best. Another show I like is Six Feet Under, a HBO show, and as the name suggests deals about death. There is a lot of nihilism b/c some of the actors are atheistic and some are Christian with different views. Still one can learn about the struggles and questions we all deal with in life. The pain, loneliness, desires, and consequences (both good and bad) of our actions.

Yet, many people would consider those shows to be 'evil.' I don't.

You say we are to be holy and blameless. I agree, but don't let it devour your life.

"Do not be overrighteous,
neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?" (Ecc 7:16)

Upvote 0