Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just emailed this into our local newspaper as a weather feature, but I thought I'd share it with you all, too. -UL

HISTORIC RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES EXPECTED AGAIN MONDAY FOR MUCH OF SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS AND THE HILL COUNTRY

Although fall officially began last Thursday, September 22 at 5:23 pm CDT, the hottest days of 2005 have come in late September this year. In the past, hot days also come in September and even October. Between September 1 and 5, 2000, temperatures ranged from 107 to 112 – which was also the warmest temperature ever recorded in Austin. On October 3, 1979, afternoon highs tied the summer of 1979 high for the hottest days in 1979. In 1938, Austin recorded a 100 degree day at the beginning of October which was the warmest day of that year in the city.

The late September 2005 heat wave is the result of not only subsidence west of Hurricane Rita on Friday and Saturday, but also from the subsidence caused by a strong subtropical high over the area combined with low soil moisture, below normal rainfall, and dry and warm southwest to north winds. Periods of west and northwest surface winds promote downslope winds. These winds compress as they move into lower altitudes, and thus promote hotter temperatures.

Monday’s forecast is looking for afternoon highs to break record highs for September 26th, with highs around 105 across the area.

The list below shows the current record high for today and Monday, September 26:

• Austin/Camp Mabry: 97 (1993) 98 (1923).
Today's high temperature of 107 broke the previous record by ten degrees.
• Austin/Bergstrom: 97 (1956) 98 (1953)
Today's high temperature of 108 broke the previous record by 11 degrees.
• San Antonio: 97 (1993) 97 (1920)
Today's high temperature of 105 broke the previous record by eight degrees.
• Del Rio: 105 (1977) 103 (1977)
Today's high temperature of 107 broke the previous record by two degrees.

Today’s high of 108 at Austin Bergstrom, 107 at Austin Mabry, 107 at Del Rio and 105 at San Antonio are not only record daily highs for September 25th, they are record highs for the fall season. In addition, today’s highs are the hottest days so far for this year, exceeding the high of 102 previously observed in early July.

Persons involved in outdoor activity Monday should wear light-colored clothing, use hats, drink plenty of water, and plan work at the cooler part of the day. Monday’s predicted high of near 105 is 17 degrees above the normal high for September 26th of 88 at Austin, Del Rio, and San Antonio.

SpaceProg

Renegade Time Lord
Jan 27, 2004
Here and there. Mostly there.
✟10,195.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
US-Others
Meh, it gets hotter and colder in cycles. Wait a few years and you'll be getting reports of historic record low temperatures.

Heat nor cold bothers me that much, since I grew up not able to run AC in the car or having AC in the house. (Parents wouldn't allow it)

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JPPT1974 said:
Man people who live in TX must indeed suffer the heat. And are forced to live with it.

Given that our current temperature is six degrees warmer than the average high temperature for the hottest day of the year (August 2, 97 degrees) and it's five hours until we reach the warmest part of the day -- well, I guess that explains why no one went out for lunch today...

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Fortunately NJ had what is probably going to be the last day in the 90's on Friday. Now, it's a muggy 80's. This is already 3 weeks beyond the normal Labor Day drop off in temp.

What's the forecast, Uber?

And don't you only need about 18" to bury a bunny? :eek:

Upvote 0

MSBS

Jul 29, 2002
California
✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
UberLutheran said:
Given that our current temperature is six degrees warmer than the average high temperature for the hottest day of the year (August 2, 97 degrees) and it's five hours until we reach the warmest part of the day -- well, I guess that explains why no one went out for lunch today...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, it has peeked here in California's central valley at 80 today. :) Having grown up in west Texas, I feel for you though.

One of the vagaries of climate change is that it seems to have made the central valley's summers milder and drastically reduced the early morning winter thule fog-- all of which are changes to the good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MSBS said:
Well, if it makes you feel any better, it has peeked here in California's central valley at 80 today. :) Having grown up in west Texas, I feel for you though.

One of the vagaries of climate change is that it seems to have made the central valley's summers milder and drastically reduced the early morning winter thule fog-- all of which are changes to the good.

...which is the second hottest temperature ever recorded in Austin.

:cry:<- not crying, but sweating

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
newlamb said:
Fortunately NJ had what is probably going to be the last day in the 90's on Friday. Now, it's a muggy 80's. This is already 3 weeks beyond the normal Labor Day drop off in temp.

What's the forecast, Uber?

And don't you only need about 18" to bury a bunny? :eek:

If you put the bunny out on a black asphalt pavement, the bunny should be thoroughly cooked in about an hour, 75 minutes if you like your bunny well-done.

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
UberLutheran said:
If you put the bunny out on a black asphalt pavement, the bunny should be thoroughly cooked in about an hour, 75 minutes if you like your bunny well-done.

ROFL! I can't stop laughing, Uber. Though you know, don't you, that bunny is not kosher. :(

btw, I just heard the forecast for south NJ next week - back into the 80's. I am truly sorry that you guys are getting such high temps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
newlamb said:
ROFL! I can't stop laughing, Uber. Though you know, don't you, that bunny is not kosher. :(

btw, I just heard the forecast for south NJ next week - back into the 80's. I am truly sorry that you guys are getting such high temps.

I think we should have put vegetables around the bunny: they'd be cooked by now.

Upvote 0

jlujan69

Jul 28, 2004
United States
✟5,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Unlike in the States, in a tropical locale like Guam, the temperature extremes between day and night and the warmest and coolest times of the year vary by only a few degrees. When vacationing in Ohio in July 1998, it would hit 90 by mid-day and 55 by 3 AM. Humidity factors back there also tend toward extremes, it would seem. Here, the humidity level is pretty stable--it's always humid!

Upvote 0

jlujan69

Jul 28, 2004
United States
✟5,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
newlamb said:

Not kosher to eat or to have as a pet?

Upvote 0