Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
You know, i was away from my faith (Catholic) for 20+ years. What brought me back? My dear Mum dying!

Now, that was approx 14 yrs ago.

Since then i have grown in faith massively, but, i have also failed massively! Adultery!

So, i thought my faith was rock solid but yet i tripped up immensely.

I look at my denomination and i do have questions, doubts even! I wonder if i am in the right 'denomination' at times. In all honesty i cannot see me 'Jumping Ship' so to speak, even though, on occasions, i have felt like it. Sometimes i feel like giving up and closing the door to God. It has been that bad over the last year or so!

So, people, have you felt the same? Have you switched denomination and if so why? Have you given up on your faith?

After the turmoil i have been through (self inflicted) i sometimes see no light at the end of the tunnel. I constantly question why i am a Catholic as some things just dont add up. I sometimes feel like deserting God and living a life without faith! Would i do that though? I cannot ever see me without God in my life. I need God so much even though i have betrayed him massively (Along with my family).

Have you ever thought if you are in the wrong denomination? Have you thought about 'jumping ship?' Would you give up your faith in God?

Reactions: civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,072.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Been where you have been...not a nice place. But I don't believe it matters as much as what church we are in as where we are in our walk with God. Sometimes I walk with him hand in hand.....frequently he has to carry me.....sometimes I let go of his hand and that is when disaster usually strikes. When our own ego and arrogance tells us we can do it on our own. I know I will likely let go of his hand in the future, it is in my sinful nature to do so, but I also know that his hand will be there seeking mine so we can continue our walk together. Stay strong, walk with God.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You know, i was away from my faith (Catholic) for 20+ years. What brought me back? My dear Mum dying!

Since then i have grown in faith massively, but, i have also failed massively! Adultery!

I look at my denomination and i do have questions, doubts even! I wonder if i am in the right 'denomination' at times. In all honesty i cannot see me 'Jumping Ship' so to speak, even though, on occasions, i have felt like it. Sometimes i feel like giving up and closing the door to God. It has been that bad over the last year or so!

So, people, have you felt the same? Have you switched denomination and if so why? Have you given up on your faith?

After the turmoil i have been through (self inflicted) i sometimes see no light at the end of the tunnel. I constantly question why i am a Catholic as some things just dont add up. I sometimes feel like deserting God and living a life without faith! Would i do that though? I cannot ever see me without God in my life. I need God so much even though i have betrayed him massively (Along with my family).

Have you ever thought if you are in the wrong denomination? Have you thought about 'jumping ship?' Would you give up your faith in God?
I been there, too, buddy. Almost lost my marriage, but thanks to my faith, my life is rock-solid. That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes, but I know my faith is my Rock. Jump ship? Never! Fall down? Yep, but I get up again and dust myself off, and go to confession.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I went through a spell a few years ago when I felt I was unable to be sanctified... I was taking 2 steps back for every one forward at times and I felt like a hypocrite and felt like giving up... I contemplated giving up on faith altogether...

As I thought about it, I realized if I did turn my back on God, I wouldn't be going back to being a quasi upright good guy but instead, I would be hammering the gas in the other direction, just giving into to my evil desires and live my life helter-skelter with a Thelma and Louise ending. Many wrestling matches went on with God as I slowly learned how to start to surrender and accept His Spirit. I was, (still am to a small degree now) a very self sufficient, proud, self righteous man who arrogantly thought I was doing everything right... and as expected, much worse trials came and beat upon me until I was unable to fight and had no recourse but to surrender or lose my mind trying to hold on to my carnal nature.
Here's a tip for those that are still battling self... give up now and surrender as God, you won't win. God can, and usually will, bring trials like you have never imagined until you do... He loves us that much that he will do anything and allow anything to happen to us if it will result in our surrender to Him.

Antletems, I will keep you in prayer that you allow the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth. God be with you brother.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Have you switched denomination and if so why?

Yes. I wanted to see what was real historical Christianity not some idea of it, so I studied and became Catholic and left Evangelicalism. I then left Catholicism because of the liberalism I seen there but I could not be an Evangelical Protestant again and found my way to the Charismatic Episcopal Church which is liturgical.

Have you given up on your faith?

No, who would I go to?

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I went through a spell a few years ago when I felt I was unable to be sanctified... I was taking 2 steps back for every one forward at times and I felt like a hypocrite and felt like giving up... I contemplated giving up on faith altogether...

As I thought about it, I realized if I did turn my back on God, I wouldn't be going back to being a quasi upright good guy but instead, I would be hammering the gas in the other direction, just giving into to my evil desires and live my life helter-skelter with a Thelma and Louise ending. Many wrestling matches went on with God as I slowly learned how to start to surrender and accept His Spirit. I was, (still am to a small degree now) a very self sufficient, proud, self righteous man who arrogantly thought I was doing everything right... and as expected, much worse trials came and beat upon me until I was unable to fight and had no recourse but to surrender or lose my mind trying to hold on to my carnal nature.
Here's a tip for those that are still battling self... give up now and surrender as God, you won't win. God can, and usually will, bring trials like you have never imagined until you do... He loves us that much that he will do anything and allow anything to happen to us if it will result in our surrender to Him.

Antletems, I will keep you in prayer that you allow the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth. God be with you brother.

Waw, fantastic post. Thanks for sharing. God bless you

Upvote 0

Demetrius194

HolySprit+ClearConscience=Salvation
Oct 3, 2015
✟15,407.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm originally Orthodox, and though I still go to the Orthodox church sometimes, I prefer evangelical churches. I know I am saved though, because I always keep my conscience clear, and faith that Jesus has already atoned for all my sin by His cross (bad conscience ruins faith, and it does not make the believer saved anymore, until he/she clears it, 1 Timothy 1:19 + Acts 3:19).

If your eye tempts you, cut it off. This means that if you just cannot find a way to appease your conscience to stop giving you guilt all the time about something, try quitting. Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, say in one million years, you would curse and beat yourself up in hell for choosing that thing over keeping your conscience free of serious jeopardy.

Upvote 0

Demetrius194

HolySprit+ClearConscience=Salvation
Oct 3, 2015
✟15,407.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That said, if it is too hard for you to do it, plead with God--ask Him to cancel the working of that law that makes you condemned, in relation to that particular thing. Some people will object, but that's ok, it does not diminish the Word in any way. I mean it is actually possible to do it. Why? Because commandment is for man and not man for commandment (Sabbath is a commandment, and see Mark 2:27), plus mercy triumphs over condemnation (James 2:13). Just meekly invoke these things before God, and ask Him to have mercy on you, because you feel that you are just too bound by sin. Ask Him to not let even you to perish. Confess your idolatry (preference of these things over Eternal Life who is God Himself), acknowledge that you are unworthy of Him (Matthew 10:37), remember that blessed are the poor in Spirit (Matthew 5:3), and realize that by doing so, you are poor in spirit. And finally, believe that God heard you, thank Him to make that faith alive by the action of thanks (James 2:17). If God heard you, you should feel it, you should just have a certain unwavering confidence about it. If not, try again. Do more mourning, more stuff, and then try again. Remember from the Beatitudes how if we do things, it increases favor with God, meaning that He is more likely to hear us if we ask.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I have changed denominations, and now really don't have one. That's why I am a "seeker". I have many questions and much turmoil. Most denominations are far too conservative for me, and we have had really bad church experiences where I wonder what is the difference supposed to be between Christian and non-Christian if it doesn't show up at all in the church? I can't help but believe in God. I was brought up as Christian my entire life, and although at times I try to decide "I am no longer a Christian", I know that that belief is unshakeable. I can't not believe. It's as much a part of me as my eye color.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, I've changed denominations.

My decision to change was triggered by a combination of factors. Finding my knowledge of Christian history & practice was lacking & then doing some research was what lead me to consider a few other denominations. I considered Eastern Orthodoxy, Lutheranism, & Anglicanism, with my family ultimately agreeing on Anglicanism. We are now at peace in the Episcopal Church.

However, there have been times of great frustration where I've considered abandoning the faith all together. I don't wish to go down that road though because I love Jesus, even if some of his self-proclaimed followers at times make me pessimistic.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sometimes you are taught to aim for unrealistic goals and vague purposes. Changing denominations won't help. The New Testament model was being in small groups and fearlessly seeking truth, without worrying about being persecuted by a "denomination", "church".

The biblical requirement:

1. Be loyal to God, faith is loyalty, not belief.

2. Salvation is being made part of God's plan to bless the world. Always has been, from Adam to the present time.

See Paul, blessing the world, even as he stays oppressed by Satan:

2 Corinthians 12:7Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself! 8Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.9And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

Are you being a blessing to the world? Is the power of Christ dwelling in you? If not, work at finding out how that happens. Remember, His burden is light, His yoke is easy...

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Thanks people. I am willing to suffer for my love of God. Really i am.

Its keeping sane about it all is the problem. So hard to be in constant turmoil. I do pray very regularly asking for guidance etc. If it is a cross i have to bear then all i want to do is bear it through the grace of God.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being a blessing to the world is to bring people out of futile living, Egypt, into purposeful living, the Promised Land, rest in Christ.

I am now going to bring you out of Egypt, pointless life working for treasure that perishes, into rest in Christ, working for treasure that does not vanish, persists in the kingdom of God. The world is a mirage, the Kingdom is the reality.

After this, you can be a blessing to the world by gathering others into the Kingdom too.

We will discover in the next post how that happens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
What you need is more simplicity. Don't even think about Church stuff. Focus on love. In the end love is always the right answer, no matter what the question is.

Love for God is eternal. That will never die.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Moses was called by God to bring Israel out of Egypt, he pointed out that it would be an impossible task, to ask Israel to leave the oppressive but safe life in Egypt to risk crossing a desert to reach Canaan.

God gave him grace, the power of Christ.

With grace, which is sufficient, not perfection, not wisdom, not a sign, Moses brought Israel out of Egypt.

You can bring your friends out of futile living too! Not with revelation , which the Jews wanted, or with a fresh philosophy, which the Greeks demanded, but with grace!

What is grace?

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Consider the parallel.

You are asking your friends to leave an oppressive but safe life in the world to enter the Kingdom of God, a distant destination reached by passing through a wilderness: a risky abandonment of all which the world says is important, money, love, power.

What will convince THEM to follow YOU?

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Consider the parallel.

You are asking your friends to leave an oppressive but safe life in the world to enter the Kingdom of God, a distant destination reached by passing through a wilderness: a risky abandonment of all which the world says is important, money, love, power.

What will convince THEM to follow YOU?

Only God can convince people. . All we can do is love people and pray for them.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What convinced Nicodemus to follow Christ? The same thing that convinced Israel to follow Moses:

John 3:1Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.

Grace is God being with you!

Upvote 0