Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
TORONTO -- An Ontario judge quashed a last-minute attempt to attempt to bar theCleveland Indians from using their team name and "Chief Wahoo" logo during Monday's night playoff game in Toronto.

The legal challenge by indigenous activist Douglas Cardinal came hours before the team played the Blue Jays in Game 3 of the AL Championship Series.

The long-standing logo, which appears on some team caps and jerseys, depicts a grinning, red-faced cartoon with a feather headband.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17817177/judge-asks-how-alcs-played-cleveland-indians-logo-banned

Reactions: 777Sloan

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TORONTO -- An Ontario judge quashed a last-minute attempt to attempt to bar theCleveland Indians from using their team name and "Chief Wahoo" logo during Monday's night playoff game in Toronto.

The legal challenge by indigenous activist Douglas Cardinal came hours before the team played the Blue Jays in Game 3 of the AL Championship Series.

The long-standing logo, which appears on some team caps and jerseys, depicts a grinning, red-faced cartoon with a feather headband.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17817177/judge-asks-how-alcs-played-cleveland-indians-logo-banned

Go Tribe beat the Blue Jays!

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Go Indians
Go Buckeyes (just so people understand).....

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not a big fan of Chief Wahoo. They could tone him down and respect him up a bit and he'd be a perfectly acceptabel mascot.

Go Tribe beat the Blue Jays!

Hear hear! 3-0!!!

Looking for an Illinois-Ohio World Series?

I would love and hate to see Indians/Cubs because that way I could root for both teams and their long suffering fan bases, but at the same time I could feel terrible if the Cubs lost. I just hope they can knock those bleeping Dodgers around the next few games and get to the big dance.

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I wonder what took this crackpot so long to file this lawsuit cause you know Cleveland has been to Toronto in the past. I hope he wasn't thinking he was going to play mind games with the Indians to throw them off their game? Didn't work too well Indians up 3-0 now, hope they can close them out tonight that would be poetic justice...

BroomDusty-300x282.jpg

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a big fan of Chief Wahoo. They could tone him down and respect him up a bit and he'd be a perfectly acceptabel mascot.

Hear hear! 3-0!!!

I would love and hate to see Indians/Cubs because that way I could root for both teams and their long suffering fan bases, but at the same time I could feel terrible if the Cubs lost. I just hope they can knock those bleeping Dodgers around the next few games and get to the big dance.
Yeah I'm looking for an Indians-Cubs series too. Go Cubs!

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I may comment, without being flamed or goaded, I would like to address the issue of Indian mascots and share an opposing opinion of their use. I waited to see how this thread would go and it is evolving exactly how I thought it would. I have said before that I strongly disagree with the use of Indian mascots, regardless of their use or intended purpose. I feel this way regardless of the fact that there are Native Americans who have no problem with these racist caricatures exploiting their people and aspects of native culture for entertainment and monetary gain. I am saddened to have to point out the fact that Native Americans are people and not mascots for American sports entertainment. I am even more saddened by the fact that there are actually Native Americans who help perpetuate these racial stereotypes of their own people. It is like they have no self respect or dignity, let alone respect for their people, their ancestors, and their culture. And quite honestly, I am embarrassed for them. I cannot speak for them, but we are not mascots. We are human beings and not a caricature to be exploited for American sports entertainment. Native culture and native spiritual ceremonies are not a cultural trend to be exploited to further many Americans infatuation with romanticizing and marginalizing Native Americans. Native culture is not for sale. We are Not Your Mascots.

"This is a function of a vastly larger problem, which is that racism against Native Americans is just not viewed with the same seriousness as other kinds of racism in America. It’s embarrassing, and it’s even more embarrassing that it’s necessary to convince many Americans that racism against Native Americans is real. We as a country have been taught highly revisionist histories, but the uncomfortable truth is that the founding and expansion of the country were the outcome of acts of genocide, erased largely by disenfranchising and dehumanizing the victims. Wahoo, whether or not devoted Indians fans want to admit it, is a symbol of that process, and so are the uses to which he’s put." - Excerpted from The Cleveland Indians Are Liars

CBCNews: Cultural Appropriation

Cleveland Indians Fan Apologizes to Native American For Red Face

My life as a Cleveland Indian: The enduring disgrace of racist sports mascots

Indian mascots are not only insulting, offensive and disrespectful, they are also demeaning and dehumanizing. The use of these mascots perpetuate negative racist stereotypes of Native Americans. Native culture is not a single entity or a cultural trend to be exploited for sports entertainment or for monetary gain. The cultural appropriation must stop. Multiple psychological studies have proven they are harmful to native youth and perpetuates racism and discrimination against native youth and adults.

Eradicating Offensive Native Mascotry

Ending the Era of Harmful “Indian” Mascots

The True Damage Racist Mascots Do to Native American Children

The Harmful Psychological Effects of the Washington Football Mascot

Summary of the APA Resolution Recommending Retirement of American Indian Mascots

Research shows Native American imagery hurts all ethnic groups, says UB psychologist

Missing the Point: The Real Impact of Native Mascots and Team Names on American Indian

14-year-old Girl Testifying Against Native American Mascots Says Crowd Shouted ‘Get Off the Stage Squaw’

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My main concern is that it's not a matter for a court to decide, especially a foreign court. If the owner of the team chooses to change the mascot and/or the name, then that fine. If the MLB itself wants to force a change, that's also fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A federal court intervening and ruling against the use of Indian mascots is nothing new.

Court rules against Redskins trademark registration

Federal judge orders cancellation of Redskins’ trademark registrations

And apparently, the Washington team with a racist slur as its name does not have a problem with a court intervening either.

Redskins ask Supreme Court to review trademark case

I think the people of Canada who oppose the use of an Indian mascot have a right to openly challenge the team and its name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They cancelled the trademark and the team is appealing. That's not the same as banning them from using the mascot and blacking it out from the airwaves, which is what this case would have been. Either way, the Canadian judge ruled against the plaintiff.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the situation is different. I was only trying to point out that court cases against Indian mascots are nothing new. I think it would have been a significant victory against the Cleveland Indians and Indian mascots in general if the Canadian judge had ruled in favor of the plaintiff. Douglas Cardinal, the plaintiff, also filed complaints with the Ontario human rights tribunal and the Canadian Human Rights Commission. It will be very interesting to see how these complaints are addressed.

Excerpted from the article: Cleveland Indians name and mascot facing Canadian court challenge

“Mr. Cardinal, who has long fought for the rights of Indigenous Peoples, has simply had enough,” his lawyer Michael Swinwood said in a statement. “Canadian law clearly prohibits discrimination of this nature.”

Swinwood said using the team’s name and logo constitutes discrimination under both federal and Ontario human rights laws.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hear hear! 3-0!!!

Sweep the Jays tonight. As a Rangers fan, I have no love for that team from the Great White North.

My bucket list World Series is a Mets-Rangers WS. Mets were the team I grew up with in NY and Texas is the team my boys grew up with while I served in the South West (OK and TX). We are settled in Texas now.

However, until then I root for the little guys in the playoffs. Teams that have never been to or won one; and or teams who have not been there in a long time. So Indians-Cubs would be a great WS IMO.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder what took this crackpot so long to file this lawsuit cause you know Cleveland has been to Toronto in the past. I hope he wasn't thinking he was going to play mind games with the Indians to throw them off their game? Didn't work too well Indians up 3-0 now, hope they can close them out tonight that would be poetic justice...

BroomDusty-300x282.jpg

Yep, sweep away Tribe. "Chief Wahoo" get out the broom!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's an American team. Canada couldn't force them to do anything, except maybe change their uniform when they play in Canada. And that would only be for a few game a year.

Actually, their regular uniforms don't even have the Chief Wahoo logo on them. They just have a C on the cap and "Indians" on the Jersey.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's a good point. They could do what the NE Patriots did with their Minuteman depiction.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Bluejays pulled off a win last night. So now the Indians lead the series 3-1. Game 5 set for 4pm CST tonight.

For those who don't understand baseball scores, the Indians have to beat the Blue Jays one more time to go to the World Series, but the Blue Jays need to beat the Indians three more times to get there.

In the National League, the Dodgers lead the Cubs 2-1. Game 4 is tonight at 8pm.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0