Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actors and Actresses

[edit]

Artists

• Sandra Bowden, painter. Head of CVA, Christian Ministry in Visual Arts.
  • Lucas Cranach the Elder (1472-1553), German court painter; friend of Martin Luther and sponsor of the Reformer's oldest son. An early champion of the Reformation, this well-known and prolific artist is now especially known for his woodcuts and portraits of the Reformers.
  • Lucas Cranach the Younger (1515-1586) prominent Reformation artist in Germany who worked for his father and continued in his style.
  • Gary Larson, cartoonist and creator of the classic comic The Far Side.
  • Alexandra Nechita, at 15 years old, she is one of the most famous artists in the world. She was once called the "Petite Picasso".
[edit]

Astronauts

• Dan Brandenstein, former chief astronaut who flew various shuttle missions.
  • Mark Lee, Colonel in the US Air Force & former astronaut. Shuttle flights included missions on the Atlantis (1989), Endeavor (1992) and Discovery (1994, 1997).
  • Jeff Williams, astronaut on recent shuttle missions.
[edit]

Authors

• Rita Mae Brown, prolific author of novels, poetry, articles, book reviews, teleplays and screenplays.
  • "Dr. Seuss" (Theodor Geisel), the well-loved children's author.
  • Bob Sylwester, author, pioneer in brain-based learning.
  • John Updike, famous author.
[edit]

Beauty Contestants

• Gretchen Carlson, 1989 Miss America; former Miss Minnesota; granddaughter of an ELCA pastor, now with CBS News.
  • Carolyn Sapp, 1992 Miss America; former Miss Hawaii. Now a correspondent with Fox Sports in California.
  • Elke Sommer (born Elke Schletz), actress and painter who has appeared in over 90 motion pictures. In 1959, 19-year old Elke won Italy's Miss Viarrego beauty pageant.
[edit]

Bible Scholars, Translators, & Theologians

• William F. Beck, Biblical scholar and translator of The Holy Bible: An American Translation (Leader Publishing, 1976).
  • Carl E. Braaten, seminary professor and author. Wrote Christian Dogmatics (1987) with Robert W. Jensen.
  • Marva Dawn, theologian and author; wrote Reaching Out Without Dumbing Down (1995) and other works
  • Franz Delitzsch (1813-1890), German scholar and seminary professor; co-author (with C. F. Keil) of the classic 10-volume Commentary on the Old Testament.
  • Werner Elert, German professor of theology and author of numerous works, including The Structure of Lutheranism.
  • Robert G. Hoerber, Pastor & professor of exegetical theology at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis (1974-1989). Worked as a biblical translator and as the general editor of The Concordia Self-Study Bible, a Lutheran revision of The NIV Study Bible.
  • Robert W. Jensen, seminary professor and author. Wrote Christian Dogmatics (1987) with Carl E. Braaten.
  • Johann (C.F.) Keil (1807-1888), German scholar and seminary professor, co-author (with Franz Delitzsch) of the classic 10-volume Commentary on the Old Testament.
  • Richard Charles Henry Lenski (1864-1936), Prussian-born American scholar. A prolific writer and editor, Dr. Lenski today is best remembered for his classic conservative "Interpretation of..." New Testament commentary series.
  • Martin Moller (1547-1606), German pastor and author of Thesaurus Precationum.
  • Francis Pieper (1852-1931), Prussian-born American theologian, professor and president of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, president of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, author of the classic work of systematic theology Christliche Dogmatik.
  • Hermann Sasse, theologian and author; Australian seminary professor.
  • Edmund Schlink, German seminary professor of systematic theology and scholar of the Lutheran Confessions.
  • Paul Tillich (1886-1965), German-born theologian who emigrated to America, army chaplain during WWI, seminary professor. The son of a Lutheran pastor, Rev. Tillich became one of the most foremost theologians of the first half of the twentieth century.
[edit]

Business Leaders and Entrepreneurs

• Doris Christopher, founder of "The Pampered Chef".
  • Ron Gangelhoff, founder and former president of the Chicago Cutlery Company, philanthropist, supporter of Concordia College, St. Paul, Minnesota.
  • Steve Jobs, Apple Computer.
  • Michael Johns, health care executive and former White House speechwriter.
  • Ed Kruse, CEO of Blue Bell Ice Cream, third largest Ice Cream Company in the USA.
  • Marvin M. Schwan, businessman; founded Schwan's Sales Enterprises, Inc. in 1952. Mr. Schwan left a charitable trust which helps benefit Lutheran institutions and entities.
[edit]

Church Leaders

[edit]

Comedians

• Dana Carvey, comedian and actor known especially for his gift of mimicry. Former member of Saturday Night Live (1986-1993), where he created many numerous characters, including "The Church Lady". His film credits include the mega-hit Wayne's World and its sequel.
[edit]

Composers

• Johann Christoph Bach (1642-1703), German church musician and composer. Cousin of J. S. Bach's father.
  • Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750), German church musician. One of the greatest composers of all time, known especially for his organ compositions, his chorales, the Mass in B Minor, and the Brandenburg Concertos.
  • Karl Philipp Emanuel Bach (1714-1788), German church musician and composer. Son of J. S. Bach.
  • Wilhelm Friedemann Bach (1710-1784), German church musician and composer. Eldest son of J. S. Bach.
  • Howard Hanson (1896-1981), Hanson became one of the most influential American composers, music educators, and music advocates of the last century; he was also a director of the Eastman School of Music (1924-1964).
  • Georg Friedrich Handel, Renowned composer, possibly best known for his Messiah and the famous Hallelujah Chorus.
  • Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy (1809-1847), German composer; the grandson of the philosopher Moses Mendelssohn. His many compositions include the famed incidental music to Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream and the Reformation Symphony (which utilizes the melody of Martin Luther's classic Reformation hymn, "A Mighty Fortress is Our God.")
  • Johann Pachelbel (1653-1706), German composer and church musician. An early model of J.S. Bach, his many compositions include cantatas, chorale pieces, canons, fugues, and preludes. Today he is especially known for his Canon in D (often simply referred to as Pachelbel's Canon).

[edit]

Film Makers

[edit]

Generals & Admirals

[edit]

Historians

• Sidney Eckman Ahlstrom, former professor of Modern Religious History at Yale University and author of the classic Religious History of the American People.
  • Paul L. Maier, professor of History at Western Michigan University; noted writer of both fiction and non-fiction.
  • Jaroslav Pelikan, religious scholar and professor at Yale; former professor at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis; co-editor of the American Edition of Luther's Works (55 volumes) and author of the series' companion volume Luther the Expositor. A Lutheran during most of his decades-long and prolific career, Pelikan became a member of the Eastern Orthodox Church in 1998.
  • Leopold van Ranke, prominent 19th century German historian.
[edit]

Kings and Queens

[edit]

Lawyers

• Rebecca O. Goss, Eli Lily Vice President and general counsel.
  • Justus Jonas (1493-1555) German lawyer, theologian, and reformer.
  • Daniel Joy, attorney and New York State Judge.
  • Edwin Meese III, lawyer, Counselor to the President of the United States (1981-1985), U.S. *Attorney General (1985-1988); currently holds The Ronald Reagan Chair in Public Policy at The Heritage foundation in Washington, D.C.
  • William Rehnquist, lawyer; appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court by Richard Nixon in 1972; Chief Justice for the past 18 years, since September 26th, 1986.
[edit]

Musicians

[edit]

National Newscasters and Sportscasters

[edit]

Nobel Laureates

• Dag Hammarskjöld, Swedish economist; statesman and Secretary General of the United Nations. Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.
  • Linus Pauling, American chemist who won the Nobel prize in chemisty for his work describing the nature of chemical bonds. Pauling received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1962 for his campaign against above-ground nuclear testing, becoming one of only two people to receive the Nobel Prize in more than one field, the other being Marie Curie.
[edit]

Poets

[edit]

Philosophers

[edit]

Politicians and Statesmen (United States)

• Bob Bergland, former U.S. Secretary of Agriculture.
  • John Bolton, prominent Republican politician. Served in the Reagan administration as well as both Bush administrations.
  • John Hamre, deputy director, US Department of Defense.
  • John Hanson - Regarded by some as the first President of the United States. Hanson was elected in 1781 under the Articles of Confederation, and served a one year term. His father was a Lutheran pastor.
  • Donald Hodel, served various cabinet-level positions during the Reagan administration.
  • Thomas S. Kleppe - Secretary of the Interior under President Ford.
[edit]

U.S. Governors

[edit]

U.S. House of Representatives (Current)

[edit]

U.S. House of Representatives (Former)

[edit]

U.S. Senators

[edit]

Politicians and Statesmen (Europe)

[edit]

Reformers

[edit]

Resistance Fighters of World War II

• Eivind Josef Berggrav (1884-1959), Norwegian Lutheran bishop, author, resistance leader against Hitler and the Nazi occupation of Norway.
  • Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906-1945), German pastor, theologian, seminary professor, author, and anti-Nazi resistance fighter. Imprisoned by the Nazis and later executed at the concentration camp in Flossenburg.
  • Rudolf Bultmann (1884-1976), German lay theologian known for his contributions to Biblical criticism and resistance to Hitler.
  • Helmut Gollwitzer (1908-1993), German theologian who became part of the Confessing Church; captured by the Soviets in 1945 and imprisoned in a Soviet gulag until 1950.
  • Kaj Munk (1898-1944), Danish pastor and author, arrested and executed by the Nazis.
  • Martin Niemoeller (1892-1984), German submarine commander in WWI who became a Lutheran pastor and was later imprisoned by the Nazis.
[edit]

Scientists

• Gerald Barney, Millennium Institute, Washington, D.C.
  • Hieronymus Bock (1498-1554), German Scientist who specialized in plants, later became a Lutheran pastor.
  • Robert Cade, inventor of Gatorade.
  • Leonhard Euler (1707-1783), mathematician. His father - a Lutheran pastor with an interest in mathematics - wanted him to study Theology, but eventually agreed to his preference for studying mathematics.
  • William Foege, former executive director, Center for Disease Control, Atlanta, Georgia.
  • Heinrich Hertz (1857-1894), One of the pioneering scientists in the area of electromagnetics. His groundbreaking work paved the way for the development of wireless telegraphy and radio, among other applications. The standard unit of frequency - the Hertz - is named in his honor.
  • Grant Krafft, scientist specializing in Alzheimer's research.
  • Johannes Kepler (1571-1630), German astronomer noted for his formulation of planetary laws.
  • Judith Larson, scientist.
  • Linus Pauling, chemist & nobel prize winner.
[edit]

Sports Figures

[edit]

Storytellers

• Garrison Keillor, humorist, host and creator of Prairie Home Companion (1974-present), inductee Radio Hall of Fame (1994), author of Lake Wobegon Days (1985) and nine other titles, icon of National Public Radio.
  • Walter Wangerin, Jr., pastor, college professor, speaker, prolific author. His award-winning tome Book of the Dun Cow brought this graduate of Christ Seminary-Seminex into national prominence.
[edit]

Television and Movie characters

[edit]

Sources

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lutherans"

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟22,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe it'll connect when I post this time. Yay! I've seen those sites with this list many times, yes, before I even KNEW about Lost And Found. And, yay Rev, for Lost And Found! "Lyle Lovitt, John Mellancamp, Ace Freehly of KISS, St. Olaf, Henry Mullenberg, and Gustavus Adolphus, . . .Miss Americas. . .we swearica!"

I can never seem to learn that whole song. . .

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0

VeryTiredGirl

Mar 1, 2005
Canada
✟7,979.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
revjpw said:
"...but the most notable Lutherans of all are every single one of you!"

Lost and Found

Hey Rev! Where can I get Lost&Found music? Two musicians at church performed one of their songs (That You Love Me or something like that), and I want to get one or two of their CD's. The only website I found on them didn't seem too...reputable, so I didn't want to place an order. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟22,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
VeryTiredGirl said:
Hey Rev! Where can I get Lost&Found music? Two musicians at church performed one of their songs (That You Love Me or something like that), and I want to get one or two of their CD's. The only website I found on them didn't seem too...reputable, so I didn't want to place an order. Any ideas?
Their official website is www.speedwood.com and you can get their music from their site under "stuff to buy." They are very reputable. You can also order stuff from Amazon.com

At their site, they also sell the songbook, T-shirts, and other miscellaneous stuff.

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0

revjpw

"Here I Stand, I Can Do No Other"
Nov 4, 2004
✟654.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
KagomeShuko said:
Their official website is www.speedwood.com and you can get their music from their site under "stuff to buy." They are very reputable. You can also order stuff from Amazon.com

At their site, they also sell the songbook, T-shirts, and other miscellaneous stuff.

Stein Auf!
Bridget

What she said.;)

Upvote 0

VeryTiredGirl

Mar 1, 2005
Canada
✟7,979.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
KagomeShuko said:

Stein Auf!
Bridget
Thank you for the link. One more question...I had mentioned before that the musicians at church sang a Lost and Found song, and a repeating theme was 'you still love me'. It was a fairly slow, peaceful song. Do you know what I'm talking about? I want to get a CD with that song on it.

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My favorite Lutheran Song section:

Martin Luther wasn't born a Lutheran and that might be a shock, but Mark Hansen was, April Larson and Johann Sebastian Bach
There are foods that Lutherans adopt, for example, the pretzel
Dana Carvey is a Lutheran, now "isn't that special?"

I loved the Church Lady. :eek:

;) Rose

Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟22,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
VeryTiredGirl said:
Thank you for the link. One more question...I had mentioned before that the musicians at church sang a Lost and Found song, and a repeating theme was 'you still love me'. It was a fairly slow, peaceful song. Do you know what I'm talking about? I want to get a CD with that song on it.
I think you may want "How Can You"

It goes something like -
How can you still love me? How can you still love me? You have seen me even when, I don't want you to and then, somehow you still love me?

How can you still want me? How can you still want me? I have turned a deafened ear, said things you don't want to hear, how can you still want me?

etc. . .you can look it up at their site under "about the band" and "lyrics"

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VeryTiredGirl

Mar 1, 2005
Canada
✟7,979.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
KagomeShuko said:
I think you may want "How Can You"

It goes something like -
How can you still love me? How can you still love me? You have seen me even when, I don't want you to and then, somehow you still love me?

How can you still want me? How can you still want me? I have turned a deafened ear, said things you don't want to hear, how can you still want me?

etc. . .you can look it up at their site under "about the band" and "lyrics"

Stein Auf!
Bridget

That's it! Thank you.

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Once again...the Outsyder...
Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luthers Rose said:
My favorite Lutheran Song section:

Martin Luther wasn't born a Lutheran and that might be a shock, but Mark Hansen was, April Larson and Johann Sebastian Bach
There are foods that Lutherans adopt, for example, the pretzel
Dana Carvey is a Lutheran, now "isn't that special?"

I loved the Church Lady. :eek:

;) Rose

are you saying that Garth is a Lutheran?...I'm so excited I think I'm gonna hurl!...I'm not worthy!!!:bow: ...

Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟22,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
RedneckLutheran said:
are you saying that Garth is a Lutheran?...I'm so excited I think I'm gonna hurl!...I'm not worthy!!!:bow: ...
Yup. . .a Lutheran. . .imagine that. . .huh. . .great to know . .and people like Andy Richter, too. . .I had no idea. . .I never remembered after just reading that site, but with this song, I tend to remember the names, get the song stuck in my head when I hear one of them.

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.