Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What sin did Job commit?
I guess Job was a liar, because he repented of a sin he never committed. Not!

Scripture is very clear that Job repented of a sin. Job's fortunes were not restored until he did this. It was a turning point in his life. As such, the trial was a teaching moment for him, the purpose of which was to correct a righteous attitude in his heart.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. No

The hedge (of Gods protection) was removed (temporarily) and Jobs faith was tested

The only thing "wrong" that Job did was after the constant egging on of his "well-meaning" friends who did not know God was that he did open his mouth

And that was immediately when God started talking to Job saying

Where were you when I laid the foundations?

Meaning who are you Job a man to question what I am at work doing?

And that was when Job said I had heard of you (the awesomeness of God) but now I see you (the unquestionable awesomeness of God) therefore I repent in dust and ashes

Job knew who he was in relation to God

JUST A MAN

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The story of Job is a foreshadowing of what will happen when 2thesselonisns 2 actually comes to pass

That is when He who holds all things back/(when the Hedge is removed) (so that we are never totally consumed) is taken out of the way

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The important thing to remember was in all Jobs trials he did not curse/blame/charge God in any of these wrongs done to him when the hedge was removed.

He waited.

remember?
Knowing his Redeemer lives and that afterwards he and no other would see HIM standing upon the earth in the last day

And that is EXACTLY what we are supposed to do

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And that was the outcome Satan had hoped for. That afterwards Job would curse God to HIS FACE.

But Job didn't

Match this up with what will actually happen in revelation and in Isaiah 8 and you will have the distinction and separation of those who know GOD and those who don't

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Scripture is very clear that Job repented of a sin. Job's fortunes were not restored until he did this. It was a turning point in his life. As such, the trial was a teaching moment for him, the purpose of which was to correct a righteous attitude in his heart.

What did God say about Job?

What sin, specifically did Job repent of?

Reactions: taraj
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
miknik5, some thought-provoking posts there....

Thank you.

Job has been one of the richest books of the Bible for me and God does use it mightily. It is the first verses in the beginning of the book of Job that sets the tone and the rationale behind all that un-folded throughout the book of Job.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Well God saw Job was perfect, but Job, who knew he was, wasnt actually giving any glory to God by boasting about himself, was he?

Sure, Job could boast about how perfect he was...but thats absolutely nothing compared to what God can do and how perfect God is.

Was Job boasting?

Where does God describe Job?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
What sin did Job commit?

Where did God describe Job?

Was Job a liar? Self-righteous?

Did all that happened to Job, that God allowed, happen because he needed correction?

Re: Job's friends, did Job pray for/forgive them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Job had a problem like the Pharisees of Jesus' day, maybe not as bad as them though. His actions were everything done correctly to the letter of the law, so he was perfect in actions. God can not slander, as such God would not point out any problems with Job's heart and Satan can only see our actions and could not dispute what God said of him. God judges the heart.

Job's sin was that he thought he did not deserve the trials he received, such is pride and self-righteousness. He repented of this.

Where is God's description of Job?

Did Job "deserve" all that Satan was pouring out on him?

Again, where is it written how God Himself described Job?

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
miknik5, some thought-provoking posts there....

Thank you.

Job has been one of the richest books of the Bible for me and God does use it mightily. It is the first verses in the beginning of the book of Job that sets the tone and the rationale behind all that un-folded throughout the book of Job.
Yes. I agree. Sorry for my passion. Job also has been a book that has been imprinted in my mind and an important word for all of us who face unexpected trials that we just can't "figure out"

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes. I agree. Sorry for my passion. Job also has been a book that has been imprinted in my mind and an important word for all of us who face unexpected trials that we just can't "figure out"

I agree....perhaps that is why i was so inclined to read and study it.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Job had a problem like the Pharisees of Jesus' day
Neither Job nor King David nor the disciples in the NT were anything at all like the pharisees of Jesus' day you refer to.
Job, King David, and the disciples of Jesus who remained with Him (vice the ones who left Him, which I think was a majority at the time)
were all "after God's own heart" serving God.
That's a very different life than the life and hearts of the pharisees referred to.

Yes. I agree. Sorry for my passion.
No problem, literally wonderful.

Re: Job's wife....

where was his wife during all of this?
hmmm.... walmart ?
hee hee :)
i.e. God made known her words, actions, presence or absence ,
perfectly for His Own Purpose towards the Salvation of those He called and chose according to His Good Pleasure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Neither Job nor King David nor the disciples in the NT were anything at all like the pharisees of Jesus' day you refer to.
Job, King David, and the disciples of Jesus who remained with Him (vice the ones who left Him, which I think was a majority at the time)
were all "after God's own heart" serving God.
That's a very different life than the life and hearts of the pharisees referred to.

No problem, literally wonderful.

hmmm.... walmart ?
hee hee :)
i.e. God made known her words, actions, presence or absence ,
perfectly for His Own Purpose towards the Salvation of those He called and chose according to His Good Pleasure.

LOL! Perhaps she was at the equivalency of a Walmart

^_^

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only thing "wrong" that Job did was after the constant egging on of his "well-meaning" friends who did not know God was that he did open his mouth
You deny Job sinned. So Job opening his mouth was such a grievous act that Job despised himself and it required repenting in dust and ashes.

If you and Brinny can't acknowledge that Job sinned, then you will never be able to find his sin, and then the meaning of the book escapes you.

6 therefore I despise myself,
and repent in dust and ashes.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You deny Job sinned. So Job opening his mouth was such a grievous act that Job despised himself and it required repenting in dust and ashes.

If you and Brinny can't acknowledge that Job sinned, then you will never be able to find his sin, and then the meaning of the book escapes you.

6 therefore I despise myself,
and repent in dust and ashes.
Job didn't sin.
You are no different than Job's friends who changed their tactics because Job would NOT state his case before GOD...and decided that he must have sinned...

In which Job became very impatient with his friend's "concerns" for him, and wished more that they would just keep their mouths closed...and told them: "if only you would remain quiet altogether"....*Job 13

Upvote 0