Jesus is not the original Greek or Aramaic pronunciation, so how can it save?

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now if you are Japanese, He is YaeSu Nim
That's actually Korean. The "nim" suffix is a Korean honorific. For instance, our Lord is Yaesu-nim. God the Father is Hahna-nim, a teacher is addressed as seonsaeng-nim, etc. (these Romanizations are strictly mine, BTW). I think the Japanese use "san" to show respect, but I could very easily be wrong there.

The chances are very good that if you are reading and understanding these words site is because you read and understand English no matter what your ancestry might be.
I do have at least a nodding acquaintance with the language.:oldthumbsup:

So no matter how you pronounce or say His name. He still saves.
Just so. My point was that making our Lord's name, however pronounced, into a magic word, and insisting that salvation depends on pronouncing it in a certain way, is appalling nonsense.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That's actually Korean. The "nim" suffix is a Korean honorific. For instance, our Lord is Yaesu-nim. God the Father is Hahna-nim, a teacher is addressed as seonsaeng-nim, etc. (these Romanizations are strictly mine, BTW). I think the Japanese use "san" to show respect, but I could very easily be wrong there.

I believe the -san honorific is closer to calling someone "Mr." or "Mrs/Ms.", it's somewhat formal but it's what you'd call your peers. A more reverential honorific would be -sama, so when talking about the Christian God He is usually called "Kami-sama" where kami is a generic term for gods, spirits, numinous presences, etc.

Google shows 主イエス (Shu Yesu), Shu (主) meaning "head of the family" or "master" or "proprietor" etc. Though Yesu-sama (イエス様) is there additionally.

I'm half relying on Google and half relying on the little bit of Japanese I learned in high school and way too many years of watching anime.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
and the Pope is not of God, so his opinion shouldn't matter.

While his opinion in and of itself--regardless of whether he's "of God" or not--isn't authoritative; in this instance his opinion is in agreement with the facts. So regardless of your personal opinion on the Pope the fact of the matter is that the language Jesus spoke was Aramaic, this really isn't a matter of debate it's a highly attested fact that the Jews of Palestine spoke Aramaic and had been speaking Aramaic for hundreds of years since their days spent in exile--they brought Aramaic back with them from captivity.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While his opinion in and of itself--regardless of whether he's "of God" or not--isn't authoritative; in this instance his opinion is in agreement with the facts. So regardless of your personal opinion on the Pope the fact of the matter is that the language Jesus spoke was Aramaic, this really isn't a matter of debate it's a highly attested fact that the Jews of Palestine spoke Aramaic and had been speaking Aramaic for hundreds of years since their days spent in exile--they brought Aramaic back with them from captivity.

-CryptoLutheran

My point is that the Pope is not likely a Christian. After all, the Catholic "Church's" many beliefs are outside of scripture, and scripture is clear that the true church is in agreement. They do stuff deliberately prohibited as indicated in the Bible, and to do such clearly shows that they are not of God.

The Pope has hundreds of thousands of people idolize him, while he laps it up to be seen, all the while he looks at a picture of Mary (who doesn't save anything) and not Christ. The burning of incense, graven images, Mary worship, you name it, the Catholic Church is not a true church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It can be deduced from scripture. You shall know them by their fruit.

Fortunately for all of us, GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta isn't the Judge of the quick and the dead, and the One who will separate the sheep from the goats. That position is already filled by Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fortunately for all of us, GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta isn't the Judge of the quick and the dead, and the One who will separate the sheep from the goats. That position is already filled by Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

You are correct on that.

Upvote 0

maryofoxford

Apr 12, 2012
Michigan
✟8,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My point is that the Pope is not likely a Christian. After all, the Catholic "Church's" many beliefs are outside of scripture, and scripture is clear that the true church is in agreement. They do stuff deliberately prohibited as indicated in the Bible, and to do such clearly shows that they are not of God.

The Pope has hundreds of thousands of people idolize him, while he laps it up to be seen, all the while he looks at a picture of Mary (who doesn't save anything) and not Christ. The burning of incense, graven images, Mary worship, you name it, the Catholic Church is not a true church.

A.) I don't wish this thread to go off topic (in spite of it having been beaten to death), so I'll try to be brief.

B.) GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta: You show a complete and utter ignorance of what the Catholic faith believes, according to what you've just stated. We don't do anything that is deliberately prohibited by the Bible (who in the world do you think chose the books for the Bible in the first place? Yes, the very one you hold up to us!?

C.)No Catholic "adolizes" the pope. If they do, the Catholic Church says they are automatically excommunicated!
He is "seen" because news crews worldwide think that he's "newsworthy". That might be because he is the leader of a church who's members number aprox. 2.5 Billion (yep, that's with a "B"); and also because he is the leader of the world's smallest country. (Yep, Vatican City is actually a country). I'm guessing when your church membership ever gets near 2.5 Billion, news crews will probably want to hear what your church's pastor is saying also.

D.)So you believe that the pope looks at pictures of Mary, but not of Christ? Would you like me to post thousands, 10's of thousands of pictures of the pope looking at pictures of Christ? Why would you even say something so false? (I'm pretty sure the Bible has a verse or two about bearing false witness, and THAT was a great example of one!

Upvote 0

maryofoxford

Apr 12, 2012
Michigan
✟8,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As for the other accusations made against the Catholic faith: 1.) God called incense, "a pleasing fragrance to Him". 2.) We have "graven" (man-made images), but we don't worship them, we don't consider them anymore than you would a photo of your loved one, or your nativity set. (I'll bet you have both of those). I bet you believe that God doesn't contradict Himself in the Bible, correct? I KNOW God doesn't. So take a look at what God COMMANDED Moses and the people of Israel to fashion (have graven) on either side of the Ark of Covenant. "And you shall make two cherubim of gold; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the mercy seat. Make one cherub on the one end, and the once cherub on the other end..." (Ex 25; 18-20). Yet, in (Ex.20: 4) it reads; "You shall not make for yourself a graven image..." Now here's the tricky part. The sentence in Ex.20:4 doesn't end at verse 4; it ends after verse 6, and in the middle of that sentence it reads, "you shall not bow down to them, or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, . . . "

When we remove only a part of a sentence from the Bible, we can change it's meaning to be anything we want.

We also don't worship Mary. The Catholic faith also declares that anyone worshiping her or anyone other than God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, shall be anathemized (ex-communicated) from the Catholic Church; automatically.

If there are other areas that you feel we disobey God by going against His Holy Word, which is written in the Sacred Scriptures known as the Bible, please let me know before you go falsely accusing us again. You not only commit a grave sin by doing that, but go against the very word of God.

Lovingly in Christ Jesus, am I offering this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PsychoeDial

God Return To And Bless America
Mar 10, 2016
Tokyo
✟11,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As for the other accusations made against the Catholic faith: 1.) God called incense, "a pleasing fragrance to Him". 2.) We have "graven" (man-made images), but we don't worship them, we don't consider them anymore than you would a photo of your loved one, or your nativity set. (I'll bet you have both of those). I bet you believe that God doesn't contradict Himself in the Bible, correct? I KNOW God doesn't. So take a look at what God COMMANDED Moses and the people of Israel to fashion (have graven) on either side of the Ark of Covenant. "And you shall make two cherubim of gold; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the mercy seat. Make one cherub on the one end, and the once cherub on the other end..." (Ex 25; 18-20). Yet, in (Ex.20: 4) it reads; "You shall not make for yourself a graven image..." Now here's the tricky part. The sentence in Ex.20:4 doesn't end at verse 4; it ends after verse 6, and in the middle of that sentence it reads, "you shall not bow down to them, or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, . . . "

When we remove only a part of a sentence from the Bible, we can change it's meaning to be anything we want.

We also don't worship Mary. The Catholic faith also declares that anyone worshiping her or anyone other than God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, shall be anathemized (ex-communicated) from the Catholic Church; automatically.

If there are other areas that you feel we disobey God by going against His Holy Word, which is written in the Sacred Scriptures known as the Bible, please let me know before you go falsely accusing us again. You not only commit a grave sin by doing that, but go against the very word of God.

Lovingly in Christ Jesus, am I offering this.
With all respect, I wouldn't defend the faith against the author of this conversation. I think they're here to inflame, harass, and belittle. Nothing more. They're hostile from post 1. That's not indicative of someone seeking education.

I would also suggest they may have more than the one account in order to make their endeavor appear to have support.

Upvote 0