May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What was Pauls thorn in the flesh ??

“And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.” (2 Cor. 12:7-10)

This thorn in the flesh that Paul mentioned has been used and misused by Christians to justify submitting to nearly any problem that comes along. Satan has twisted this passage of Scripture to deceive many, many people into believing that God would not heal Paul, so how can they expect to be healed? Let us examine this closely and find out exactly what Paul’s thorn in the flesh was.

First of all, this “thorn” came because of the abundance of revelations Paul had received. Until a person has an abundance of revelations, similar to what Paul had, he is not going to have a “thorn.” That would disqualify just about all of those who have been hiding behind Paul’s thorn.

Then, verse 7 says it came lest Paul should be exalted above measure. Traditionally, that has been interpreted to say the thorn was to keep Paul humble. Therefore, God had to be the author of it, because only God would want Paul to be humble. But there is a godly way of being exalted. First Peter 5:6 says, “Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.” Those who submit (humble) themselves to God will be exalted by God. Paul was not speaking of exalting himself above measure through pride, but rather, the thorn came from Satan to keep Paul from being exalted by God in the eyes of the people. Many more people would have received what Paul preached if everything was always “rosy” for him. But there was this messenger of Satan who always buffeted Paul and scared away the faint-hearted from committing themselves to Jesus, whom Paul preached.

God magnified, or exalted, Joshua in the sight of his people (Josh. 3:7). He continued to do that with the people He used on into the new covenant (Acts 5:13). So, we see that the exalting spoken of is not a negative kind but a godly kind. That just further strengthens the fact that the thorn was not God’s doing.

In verse 7, right after the thorn in the flesh is mentioned, there is a phrase set off by commas which says, “The messenger of Satan to buffet me.” This is an explanation of what the thorn was. It was not a thing but rather a demonic messenger. The word used as “messenger” here is always translated as angel or messenger and refers to a created being. So, Paul’s thorn was literally a demon sent from Satan to buffet him. The word “buffet” means to strike repeatedly as waves would buffet the shore.

How did this demonic force continually strike Paul? Traditionally it has been taught that it was with sickness, and the thing that made many accept that is the use of the words “weakness” and “infirmity” in verses 9 and 10. Infirmity definitely does mean sickness and is used that way in 1 Timothy 5:23, but that is not the only meaning of the word. The number two definition is any lack or inadequacy. For instance, Romans 8:26 says, “the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities.” In this case, the context makes it clear that it is not speaking of sicknesses but rather not knowing what to pray for. Our finite minds are an infirmity, or an inadequacy.

If we look at the context of Paul’s thorn in the flesh, we find that infirmity does not mean sickness in 2 Corinthians 12:9 and 10. In 2 Corinthians 11:30, Paul uses the exact terminology of “glorying in infirmities” that is used just a few verses later in speaking about this thorn. In the eleventh chapter he had just finished listing what those infirmities were. In verses 23-29, he lists such things as imprisonment, stripes, shipwrecks, and stonings; none of these speak of sickness. Verse 27 mentions weakness and painfulness, which some have tried to make mean sickness, but it is just as possible he could have been weary and suffered painfulness from such things as being stoned and left for dead (Acts 14:19). All these things listed in 2 Corinthians 11 refer to persecutions as infirmities. So, in context, Paul’s thorn was a demonic angel or messenger sent by Satan which continually stirred up persecution against him. This is also verified by three Old Testament references (Num. 33:55; Josh. 23:13 and Judg. 2:3), where people are spoken of as being “thorns in your sides” and “thorns in your eyes.”

Paul asked the Lord to remove persecution from him, not sickness, and the Lord told him His grace was sufficient. We are not redeemed from persecution, and Paul later stated that when he said in 2 Timothy 3:12, “All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.” Most gladly, therefore, he gloried in persecutions, reproaches, necessities, and distresses that the power of Christ might rest upon him (2 Cor. 12:9). The word “glory” is an old English word which means to have dominion over or command. It is used in Exodus 8:9 where Moses told Pharaoh to glory over him, or command him, when to destroy the frogs. So when Paul spoke of glorying in these infirmities or persecutions, he was speaking of victory even in the midst of continual harassment.

In Acts 14:19, Paul was stoned and left for dead, but God raised him up, and the next day he walked at least twenty miles into the next town and started preaching again. The Lord did not stop the persecution, but God’s strength was certainly made perfect in Paul’s weakness (verse 9). Can you imagine what those that stoned him must have thought? They could see Paul’s humanity in the cuts and bruises, but they could also see the supernatural strength of God flowing through him. “For when I am weak, then am I strong” (verse 10).

There are two other passages of Scripture that those who believe Paul’s thorn in the flesh was sickness have tried to use to verify that. One is Galatians 4:13-15. Here Paul says that he preached the Gospel to these Galatians through an infirmity of the flesh, and in verse 15, he makes reference to these people being willing to poke out their own eyes and give them to him. From this, I have heard ministers preach that Paul’s thorn was a rare, ancient disease which was characterized by runny, puffy eyes. But let us look at whom Paul was speaking to when he said this. He was writing to the people who lived in the region known as Galatia, which had as its major cities, Derbe, Lystra, and Iconium. The instance we mentioned earlier, where Paul was stoned and left for dead, happened in Lystra, a city of Galatia. The next day Paul walked to Derbe, another city of Galatia, and began preaching unto them. I’m sure he had runny, puffy eyes, along with multiple cuts and bruises, but they were not the result of some disease. They were the result of having just been stoned. He also says in verse 13 that his infirmity was “at the first,” which leaves the impression it was only a temporary thing that he recovered from.

The next scripture used to say Paul’s thorn was bad eyes is also in Galatians, chapter 6, verse 11. It says, “Ye see how large a letter I have written unto you with mine own hand.” People have said Paul’s eyes were so bad that he had to write in large letters, and this is what he was making reference to. That is only a supposition and not a very good one at that. It is a lot more credible to believe that he was simply referring to the long letter he had written to the Galatians.

The reason it is so important to realize that the thorn in the flesh was not something which Jesus died to redeem us from, such as sickness, is so that we won’t submit ourselves to these things. James 4:7 says, “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” We have to resist, or actively fight against, the devil and the things he brings, to see them flee. Satan has used traditional teaching about Paul’s thorn to bring many Christians to a place of submitting to him. But, praise God, you shall know the truth and the truth, shall set you free..

Are you sure you have really been studying the Bible John ??

Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Enoch was taken by God.

Enoch and Elijah were the only biblical figures that did not see death.
These two witnesses are eventually killed (Revelation 11:7) but God brings them to life three days later (Revelation 11:11). The identity of these two witnesses is not revealed in Scripture but some Bible teachers assume it will be Enoch and Elijah because they are the only two individuals who have not experienced the general judgment for all humankind-death

Reactions: John Davidson
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Enoch and elijah were OT prophets I believe. Even though John the baptist was in the spirit of elijah..john the baptist was killed. He got beheaded.

Jesus did suffer on the cross. It was agony for him. But what was the last thing he did? He forgave everyone, even his tormenters. Its improtant that you forgive people before you die, cos there isnt any chance that you can do that afterward. If youve still got breath in your body...FORGIVE.

Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have prayed for healing. But God doesn't always heal.

I have heart problems. My heart beats too fast. I'm on medication for this. I also have high blood pressure, I'm on
medication for that as well.
I have high blood pressure and my heart beats too fast, I am on 3 medications for it. I have for years.

My eyes have been deteriorating, the eye doctor says that I am "at risk" for glaucoma. Everyday I wake up and look at my eyes in the mirror and they are more bloodshot than the day before.
My eyes are deteriorating too, I am at risk for glaucoma as it runs in my family as well as cataracts. I also have blood clot damage in my left eye.

My gums are also receding in some areas so I will probably be losing some teeth.
In the late eighties I was starting to lose teeth because I have some kind of bone disease that caused my jaw bones and gums to shrink and my teeth pulled away from the bones so they had nothing to hold them in. By 1992 I had a brand new full set of false teeth, so what.

As I said before, in 2010 I had back surgery where they tried to fuse 8 vertebra starting at the top of my tailbone. I almost died. Before my 6 week checkup the rod on the left side had slipped out of the very bottom set of screws causing the screws to break so the bottom of the rod bowed out allowing one vertebra to go crooked on one side because the other side is still screwed to that rod. The crooked vertebra is setting on the sciatica nerve running down the back of my right leg to my foot causing the outside of my foot to be partly numb, part of several parts of my body are numb from all the nerves cut for surgery but they still cause pain, especially the sciatica nerve. They give me all the meds allowed which does dull it. Because I cant stand up straight, I cant lay down flat, because of the screws or the vertebra or something I can only lay in the fetal position on my left side because if I lay on my right side something moves in my back and when I try to get up I can barely move. I can only sleep a couple of hours at a time most of the time. Once in a while I can sleep a little longer but if I sleep 6 hours or more I can barely get up even on that side. Even on mt left side I can only sleep on a double cushion couch and have to line up my waist to the crack between the cushions just right or I cant sleep. I could go on John but I am tired.

Sorry. I don't agree with that stuff.
That offends me because it's not just stuff !

It's not God's will that everyone be healthy.
all the apostles died.
Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Jesus suffered and we can expect the same fate. No disciple is above his master.
You say you have studied the Bible but you don't understand that YES JESUS SUFFERED AND WHY ???? HE SUFFERED SO WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO SUFFER ! I hate to tell you but your suffering is not for the same reason Jesus did.

Charismatics seem to have a leaning toward this heretical belief that God will always heal everyone if only they believe.

Again you offend me I am a Charismatic ! Yes I believe in miracles, healings, praying in tongues. Maybe thats why in spite of my pain and what I have been through I still hang on to the love of my life. I have a lot to learn but Holy Spirit is still teaching me and will as long as I let Him. Maybe thats why in spite of my pain I still know what He wants from me and since it involves helping others have faith in God that I quit praying to die. I understand it was selfish.
Now John I am not sure why I am even still trying to help you after you basically trashed me on another post but guess I thought I would give it one more try because thats what the Lord wants of me. I dont know what denomination you are but I sure dont understand your way of thinking.
John, I wish you the best and all I can do is pray for you.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But it is possible?

Everything is possible for God.

Do you take the medicene Atenolol? If no,t ask your doctor about it because it is often prescribed to lower the heart rate.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus suffered at the hands of his persecutors.
I am not sure what you John are suffering from but...if its something that happened to you, forgive the other party. If its something that you bought on yourself, forgive yourself.

From reading your posts i get the impression you are very set in your ways. Sometimes we have to swallow our pride and say we are the ones in the wrong. Miracles still happen today.

Reactions: Bat Melek
Upvote 0

Bat Melek

Sep 10, 2016
Delaware
✟16,312.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I was trying to say that since Jesus suffered for our complete healing that we should take advantage of all the benefits that God has for us including healing of the body, mind and emotions. Yes, it's true that individuals suffer with sickness after asking for healing which is for various reasons. Since most individuals are being treated with medication when needed than they have a desire to be healthier which God can use Doctors to treat.
No, there is no reason not to strife to be made as whole as possible instead of desiring to escape the health issues, allow God to help you adjust your focus to worship the Lord and find some way to be used for an witness for Christ sake even through this difficult time. The Lord Jesus is always with you even at the moment of death, so need to fear as those who are stayed just enter into the permeant rest with the Lord at death.

Upvote 0

Bat Melek

Sep 10, 2016
Delaware
✟16,312.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Charismatics seem to have a leaning toward this heretical belief that God will always heal everyone if only they believe.

But as your friend with MS has shown us this is not true.
The Scriptures gave many examples that Jesus healed all that he could, yes some didn't believe but those that did were healed. Jesus hasn't changed in all this time, he represented God the Father, so since healing was available at that time, and God hasn't changed then healing is still available. You believe in Doctors, medications why not believe God can also heal today?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, I can see that yes Enoch was taken, but he could come back in order to die in God's time. There is God's purpose for Enoch being taken, and it was not only for what Enoch wanted for himself! So, it is important to seek God for Himself and His will.

You might consider Job. My summary is that at first Job lost so much and was so suffering, but he could be justifying himself. But then he saw Jesus, and Jesus is so unbelievably wonderful in love and glory and kindness and tenderness and goodness of love. So, Job right away saw how he was not really so right. And he repented.

The suffering Job went through was nothing compared to Jesus. Paul says,

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." (Romans 8:18)

At this moment, I now can see that Paul means that all he suffered was nothing in comparison with how great is the glory of God which shall be in us and shared with us. And so, he could mean that there is no way that all he went through could be close to being enough to earn him this glory. We can suppose we deserve certain things because of what we go through. But anything our sufferings might make us worthy of is very little, compared to God's glory in His love. We have His glory, simply by living in His love > all-loving love > obeying Him in this love.

"Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." (Romans 5:5)

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

It was not the quantity of the suffering which made Jesus so impressively pleasing in His sacrifice to our Father, but it was the quality of His sweetness of fragrance of His love which satisfied our Father to reconcile with us, I now understand.

And Jesus did all that as an "offering". I consider that we need to offer ourselves and all we go through, for our Father's evaluation. Do not assume and presume that we are being pleasing to Him, but welcome His evaluation :)

So, by submitting to our Father in His sweetly pleasing and gentle and quiet love, already we are sharing with God in His very own. And we grow in this. So, I would say see through however we might feel negative or boasting about what we have and what we go through, in this life. God is so more, and it is so preciously more to be tenderly caring for one another in our Father's own love >

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

While we may be saying, "Why me?", and "I deserve more than this!!" . . . this can be keeping us from being in God's own love. And be about pleasing God >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

And in this gentle and quiet beauty of God's own love, we are personally sharing with Him, and perfectly satisfied, no matter what we may go through > Paul took "pleasure" in the things he went through with Jesus > 2 Corinthians 12:7-15. First, he was begging for Jesus to take that thorn "thing" away. But then Jesus spoke to Him > "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

Paul got nowhere with his begging or listening to his thinking which was stinking with anger or frustration or shame or blaming or bitterness. But then He listened to what Jesus says, and Paul got the message, and learned to do what God had him doing in His grace. But if he slipped into ego, I consider, then was when that demon "messenger of Satan" could get the better of him, and pop that puffed-up ego. That thorn devil could easily parry past Paul's own defenses . . . though he might have been so independent and intelligent and ingenious > and POP!!

But in God's love we have His beauty and this is "incorruptible" (1 Peter 3:4) > no messing feelings and dirty and dictatorial emotions and ways of reacting can get the better of us, as much as we are strong in God's love. And this love is gentle and quiet; so yes Satanic things can attack us in order to keep us noisy with bitterness and boredom and unforgiveness and loneliness and self pity and self-righteous judging of others, and dictatorial drives and passions for pleasure and revenge. This noisy stuff can keep a person from quieting and becoming sober (1 Peter 5:8) and intimate with our Father and Jesus and one another. And Paul says to do everything "without complaining and disputing" (Philippians 2:13-16) > yes, our arguing and complaining are anti-love, not in His quietness and gentle and tenderly caring affection. So, we need to put away the wrong stuff, then discover all God shares with us.

"Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By the way, in Paul's testimony about his thorn in the flesh thing, I see a progression >

First, that devil is getting the better of Paul because of how Paul can do things in ego.

Then he has a little talk with Jesus, and learns moreso to do only what God has him doing in grace.

And he discovers "pleasure" in God's grace, which is the action and leading of God's own love with Heaven's own pleasant rest.

But . . . also . . . this grace of God's own love is all-loving in nature, "unconditionally" all-loving. So, as Paul gets more into depending only on God's grace, he becomes more and more all-loving so then, in a few verses later, he is saying >

"And I will very gladly spend and be spent for your souls; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I am loved." (2 Corinthians 12:15)

So, once Paul was by grace dealing with problems, this grace of God brought him . . . corrected him . . . matured him . . . not only to get through things, for himself, but to love any and all others even while they might love him less and less.

So, I see we do well to expect this from God. This is what God is committed to, I consider. So, we can expect this if we pray for this.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Scriptures gave many examples that Jesus healed all that he could, yes some didn't believe but those that did were healed. Jesus hasn't changed in all this time, he represented God the Father, so since healing was available at that time, and God hasn't changed then healing is still available. You believe in Doctors, medications why not believe God can also heal today?

And yet Jesus did not heal everyone in his day. So healing is only for some.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John I am not sure why I am even still trying to help you after you basically trashed me on another post but guess I thought I would give it one more try because thats what the Lord wants of me.

Shelley, I'm not sure how you think I "trashed you"? I have been nothing but nice to you and I have enjoyed reading your posts.

The posts you were quoting were addressing statements made by @Bat Melek

My posts were in reference to the heretical belief that God will always heal everyone, a false belief that many charismatics adhere to.

I'm sorry you were offended and that you feel this way.

God bless you and I hope your health improves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Shelley, I'm not sure how you think I "trashed you"? I have been nothing but nice to you and I have enjoyed reading your posts.

The posts you were quoting were addressing statements made by @Bat Melek

My posts were in reference to the heretical belief that God will always heal everyone, a false belief that many charismatics adhere to.

I'm sorry you were offended and that you feel this way.

God bless you and I hope your health improves.

No this was some time ago that you trashed me but John its ok. My only desire was to see you want to make the best of your time here. My health will improve John, thats the thing, I know it will because its not just about me receiving this healing, but its about others too. But yes as far as the things you said on this post, I was offended but you really dont understand why it offended me but you said you were sorry and I accept it and will leave it at that, but I really do hope you find that special relationship with the Lord while you are still here with us, from the bottom of my heart, a total stranger to you, but I know how Jesus has helped me and will continue helping me until I walk in the healing He paid for in and on His own body. Yes John, I believe Gods Words to me, to us all.
Isa 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Isa 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

These are just more than Words on a piece of paper but with your natural mind, you will never understand it, you can only understand it with your spiritual mind.

1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No this was some time ago that you trashed me

Shelley I have never "trashed you". I think you are confused. I do however specifically remember you having problems with @W2L in one of my threads. I have done nothing but try to be loving to you. If you can please quote these posts where I supposedly trashed you, I would appreciate it.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Shelley I have never "trashed you". I think you are confused. I do however specifically remember you having problems with @W2L in one of my threads. I have done nothing but try to be loving to you. If you can please quote these posts where I supposedly trashed you, I would appreciate it.

Yes, blame it on W2L.

Upvote 0

LastAcorn99

Sep 15, 2016
Colorado Springs
✟34,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
John, I can understand what you’re going through as my husband also has to depend on medication to regulate his heartbeat, due to a defect in his heart since birth. Every day is a huge challenge for him, as I’m sure it has been for you. I believe that no matter what you are going through, despite how painful it may seem, if God is still allowing you to live, it is because He has a purpose that He wants to fulfill through you. Sending you much love and prayers. Shalom to you!

Upvote 0