Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Did you read the entire story? Additional posts give more details about who was requesting quiet, when, and why.

Indeed. My jaw dropped when I read the part that stated - "After one of the female parishioners requested that the migrants be taken to another church so that she could recite the rosary, the parish priest, Don Rito, appeared and accompanied her and the other visitors to another church."

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Where in any article posted is it said that this is only a processing center for the African immigrants? I must have missed that. Thank you in advance. :)
I found an article in Italian: http://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/cro...nti_48ea1038-1ff0-4570-b86c-b5147acfadb7.html

Rough translation:
(ANSA) - VENTIMIGLIA (IMPERIA), June 4 - I started in the church of St. Anthony, in Ventimiglia, the migrant registration operations by the Caritas staff.
To address the largest number of migrants in the border town (400-600) Caritas has decided to accept in the parish, only those who agree to be registered and therefore are willing to obtain the status of refugee.
Some operators are set at different banquets are interviewing migrants: asking them where they come from and where they landed. Registration is a way to better manage immigrants and has nothing to do with the identification by law enforcement. According to Caritas were about 600 meals distributed today. Some faithful in church revenue to recite the rosary were invited by the Caritas volunteers to pray in silence. A faithful responded "Bring migrants into another church." Then came the parish priest, Don Rito, who accompanied the women in another place of worship.

A rough rule of thumb. Whatever spin brietbart has put on something, the truth is nearly the opposite.

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Whatever they normally do in that church, whether it be singing, chanting, praying or reciting out loud, and whether you or I agree with it or not, it's their church and that's what the congregants do and have been doing for a long time before those ungrateful and demanding invaders "refugees" stepped foot in that welcoming church. If it were me, I'd kick them out once they started acting like demanding, petulant children, (and I guarantee they didn't act that way when they first begged for relief), direct them to a Krishna or Buddha temple, and see how that works out.

I think, upon reviewing a little more information, it is not the immigrants who were being petulant but those who would rather the registration process be moved to another church than to make a small adjustment in their own routine so as to avoid adding to the cacophony.

Sometimes churches allow their buildings to be used for worthy events. For instance our local Quaker church always hosts the community Thanksgiving dinner. The members of a church need to understand that if there is an event going on they might not be allowed to sing, chant, or whatever, if it would interfere. If a congregant showed up and insisted that the Thanksgiving dinner be moved elsewhere while she prayed aloud but was instead accompanied to another place to do that, we would hardly be wringing out hands over the petulance of the people being fed.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,486.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Italy: Christians Told To 'Pray In Silence, Don't Disturb The African Migrants'

• Posted: 06/06/2016
      Parishioners visiting a church in Italy were told they must "pray in silence" so as not to disturb African migrants being housed there.

Some of the faithful hoping to practice their Christianity at the church of St. Anthony in Ventimiglia were surprised when they were told by Caritas volunteers they couldn't recite the rosary and would instead have to pray in silence out of respect to migrants who are living there.

READ MORE: Sicily: Citizens Rebel Against New '4-Star' Migrant Center

I didn't know it was typical for Christians to pray aloud in church. However, the only way such an offense against them in their own church can succeed in my opinion is if the Christians comply with the command.

This is absurd! The African's are guests in a church. The leadership in the church should respect the faithful not impart the idea that the immigrants are ungrateful for the sanctuary received and thus are demanding religious oppression in god's own house.

Why are we giving more liberties to the evil? Because we live in an evil world and our leaders are evil using the veil of social and political correctness to protect the evil.

What are you going to do about it?

Reactions: Blondepudding
Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why are we giving more liberties to the evil? Because we live in an evil world and our leaders are evil using the veil of social and political correctness to protect the evil.

Oh. I don't know. Maybe read an article that puts more light on the subject. Something like that.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that's wonderful. Unless someone can convince me why silent prayer is bad.
I thought you were supposed to pray silently. Instead of being loud.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Oh. I don't know. Maybe read an article that puts more light on the subject. Something like that.
There's no point, lies will always prevail on Christian Forums.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I thought you were supposed to pray silently. Instead of being loud.
In public yes. But essentially, prayer is your own communication with God. Silently or loudly, God can still hear your heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blondepudding

Who Sprinkled You With Grumpy Dust?
Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married

I like your perspective as you are one who is a seeker of Christ in your profile.

I'm Ignostic. However, were I a Catholic in this area of Italy and that was my church and to answer your question, I'd pray the Rosary aloud! And I'd pray every prayer that is suppose to be aloud exactly as it was suppose to be in that church that is sanctuary for these African migrants.

If the Catholic's holy text tells them to spread the gospel to all the world's people, then they shouldn't in my view remain quiet and fail to do that in prayers in their own church and to the people of Africa that are residing there.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.

That has not a thing to do with anything I have linked here. Therefore, there was nothing missed in any of the articles shared thus far. And being that's in a different language no one other than those that can read that language knows if it says what you said it says. Therefore, there was nothing implied against the African immigrants by anyone else here.

Thanks again. :)

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,486.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.

That has not a thing to do with anything I have linked here. Therefore, there was nothing missed in any of the articles shared thus far. And being that's in a different language no one other than those that can read that language knows if it says what you said it says. Therefore, there was nothing implied against the African immigrants by anyone else here.

You're welcome.

Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
In public yes. But essentially, prayer is your own communication with God. Silently or loudly, God can still hear your heart.
I think it is the Catholic tradition itself that is being addressed here. Do they pray aloud? Their rosary is said aloud per the Catholic members here. That is the point of concern as far as I can read in the first post's articles and subsequent linkages.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where in any article posted is it said that this is only a processing center for the African immigrants? I must have missed that. Thank you in advance. :)

Thank you.

Do a google search for the article written in Italian. See where it says 'translate this page' click on it. The article will be in whatever language you need, for me English.

The article is speaking directly about what was being done at the same church in the other articles, "registration paperwork", and why the women were taken to another church to pray. imo, no one, including the women, should have been offended.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you.

I speak Italian. I can confirm that it says that they're using the church as a registration site for migrants seeking refugee status. It doesn't say one way or another, but it doesn't appear that they're actually being housed at the church.

Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
And it is new information in this thread with a new picture too. It is a great addition for those who speak Italian. :) I do appreciate you noting that it doesn't report one way or the other if the immigrants are being housed at the church.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I like your perspective as you are one who is a seeker of Christ in your profile.

I'm Ignostic. However, were I a Catholic in this area of Italy and that was my church and to answer your question, I'd pray the Rosary aloud! And I'd pray every prayer that is suppose to be aloud exactly as it was suppose to be in that church that is sanctuary for these African migrants.

If the Catholic's holy text tells them to spread the gospel to all the world's people, then they shouldn't in my view remain quiet and fail to do that in prayers in their own church and to the people of Africa that are residing there.

Thanks. Actually, the Bible teaches us to conduct our prayers in private and silently.

It's just disturbing, even if it's wrong to pray loudly that the reason to keep silent so that other religions are not bothered.

I thought we had religious freedom??? Or should we all convert to Islam?!

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. Actually, the Bible teaches us to conduct our prayers in private and silently.
Context is everything. In a church with other Christians there is such a thing as corporate prayer and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that in a Christian space. It would be one thing if these folks were just out and about trying to disrupt the public with their prayers (like say Muslims in the streets of France)- but they were in a Church- the ONE place a Christian should be guaranteed to be able to pray.

Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

It's just disturbing, even if it's wrong to pray loudly that the reason to keep silent so that other religions are not bothered.

I thought we had religious freedom??? Or should we all convert to Islam?!
This is so funny.

Upvote 0