Italy: Christians Told To 'Pray In Silence, Don't Disturb The African Migrants'

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Is this an Italian thing? While granted, I haven't spent much time in a Catholic church in the last 15 years, but I was raised Catholic and I don't remember rosaries ever being said loudly (if aloud at all). Heck, I don't recall anyone praying or doing anything louder than a soft whisper when in the Church outside of services.
Maybe this can be answered when searches on the matter aren't drowned by the flood of lies surrounding this story. Give it a week.

By the way, it's gotten awfully quiet in here, hasn't it?

Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Who Sprinkled You With Grumpy Dust?
Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
I think that's wonderful. Unless someone can convince me why silent prayer is bad.
I'm sure if more was wanted about this story members here can seek it out. Google

A Catholic church years ago in Venice became a mosque every Friday so that Muslims could offer their prayers up during that day. I don't know how this latest news regarding immigrants from Africa would be a surprise. Isn't Francis teaching ecumenism in his capacity as the first Jesuit pope?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure if more was wanted about this story members here can seek it out. Google

A Catholic church years ago in Venice became a mosque every Friday so that Muslims could offer their prayers up during that day. I don't know how this latest news regarding immigrants from Africa would be a surprise. Isn't Francis teaching ecumenism in his capacity as the first Jesuit pope?

Can you tell us where it is reported that these migrants are Muslim or why that matters?

Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What a silly idea, praying in silence. ..and not at all what Jesus wanted. Christians need to get up to the front and pray loudly so that all can hear. They should especially make sure they thank God for not being a poor heathen refugee.
You're a Catholic. You know a communal recitation of the Rosary is a very common thing, especially at a Catholic Church.

Also, question: are these migrants being housed in the Nave of the church? They don't have a parish hall they can stay in so as not to disrupt the religious activities of the church?

Reactions: Blondepudding
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think that's wonderful. Unless someone can convince me why silent prayer is bad.
Communal prayers cannot be effectively offered silently. At least one person needs to be speaking the prayers. The rest either pray along silently, or pray aloud part of the prayer if it is being offered responsorily (which the Rosary often is).

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You're a Catholic. You know a communal recitation of the Rosary is a very common thing, especially at a Catholic Church.

Also, question: are these migrants being housed in the Nave of the church? They don't have a parish hall they can stay in so as not to disrupt the religious activities of the church?
I know, and I admit to being a bit snarky, I think the preponderance of threads like this claiming Christian persecution got to me a but, especially when as often is the case, there's much more to the story. Nithavela's post cleared up the details as to why this situation was a lot more reasonable than implied, I think.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Was this a statement of an ongoing policy along the lines of "as long as there are migrants being housed here, no praying aloud," or was it a one time thing such as some of the migrants needing a quiet time due to being sick or traumatized or having worked a night shift or having napping youngsters.

I recall when visiting the chapel at a monastery with a tour group, one of the sisters interrupted her prayers to come speak to us. We apologized, but she replied that it was always preferable to do a good deed rather than pray if the opportunity presented itself. So, in that spirit, it would be better to pray in silence than to wake or disturb someone in need of hospitality. Yes?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Was this a statement of an ongoing policy along the lines of "as long as there are migrants being housed here, no praying aloud," or was it a one time thing such as some of the migrants needing a quiet time due to being sick or traumatized or having worked a night shift or having napping youngsters.

I recall when visiting the chapel at a monastery with a tour group, one of the sisters interrupted her prayers to come speak to us. We apologized, but she replied that it was always preferable to do a good deed rather than pray if the opportunity presented itself. So, in that spirit, it would be better to pray in silence than to wake or disturb someone in need of hospitality. Yes?

They were using the church as a processing center and they asked people to remain quite so there was not a cacophony while people were trying to explain the process.

Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
They were using the church as a processing center and they asked people to remain quite so there was not a cacophony while people were trying to explain the process.

Where in any article posted is it said that this is only a processing center for the African immigrants? I must have missed that. Thank you in advance. :)

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Perhaps that area is full. If I recall this is happenning in that port city that is taking the WILD majority of mediterreanean refugees.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Where in any article posted is it said that this is only a processing center for the African immigrants? I must have missed that. Thank you in advance. :)

I just love that --hyena is it???----crack up every time I see it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blondepudding

Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
I want to enlarge it, frame it, and hang it on my front door!!!
You can do that. Cafe Press lets you make your own thing. Feel free to save it and have fun. ;)
I like it as a bumper sticker myself. Great for that tailgater on the edge of breaking into road rage.
Hyena-2.jpg
Imagine the expression on the face of the first Jehovah Witness that thinks to knock.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What a silly idea, praying in silence. ..and not at all what Jesus wanted. Christians need to get up to the front and pray loudly so that all can hear. They should especially make sure they thank God for not being a poor heathen refugee.

Whatever they normally do in that church, whether it be singing, chanting, praying or reciting out loud, and whether you or I agree with it or not, it's their church and that's what the congregants do and have been doing for a long time before those ungrateful and demanding invaders "refugees" stepped foot in that welcoming church. If it were me, I'd kick them out once they started acting like demanding, petulant children, (and I guarantee they didn't act that way when they first begged for relief), direct them to a Krishna or Buddha temple, and see how that works out.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Whatever they normally do in that church, whether it be singing, chanting, praying or reciting out loud, and whether you or I agree with it or not, it's their church and that's what the congregants do and have been doing for a long time before those ungrateful and demanding invaders "refugees" stepped foot in that welcoming church. If it were me, I'd kick them out once they started acting like demanding, petulant children, (and I guarantee they didn't act that way when they first begged for relief), direct them to a Krishna or Buddha temple, and see how that works out.
Did you read the entire story? Additional posts give more details about who was requesting quiet, when, and why.

Upvote 0