Is water baptism a pre-requisite for receiving the Holy Spirit?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, not exactly, Acts 10:
44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. 45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. 46For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, 47“Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.
People could receive the Holy Spirit before baptism.

Does receiving the Holy Spirit always accompany baptism?

No, Acts 8:
14 Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 for he had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17Then they laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.
Even after being baptized, there is no guarantee that the baptized person has received the Holy Spirit.

People could receive the Holy Spirit before baptism and people may not have received the Holy Spirit even after the baptism. There is no universal correlation between the two events.

On the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:
37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
If you are baptized, you will receive the Holy Spirit. It does not say that baptism is a pre-requisite for receiving the Holy Spirit: If you receive the Holy Spirit, you must have been baptized. In any case, this is a general rule of thumb. I would not put a precise timing on the 3 events.
39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.” 40And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation.” 41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

Is baptism a pre-requisite for receiving the Holy Spirit?

Strictly speaking, no.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Fireinfolding

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, not exactly, Acts 10:

Does receiving the Holy Spirit always accompany baptism?

No, Acts 8:

Even after being baptized, there is no guarantee that the baptized person has received the Holy Spirit.

People could receive the Holy Spirit before baptism and people may not have received the Holy Spirit even after the baptism. There is no universal correlation between the two events.

On the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:

This is a general promise but I would not put a precise timing on the 3 events.

Is baptism a pre-requisite for receiving the Holy Spirit?

Strictly speaking, no.
There needs to be more clarity on "baptism". John the Baptist immersed people in water and Jesus Christ of Nazareth immersed people in His Holy Spirit. There is so much confusion on this, I wish it was more clear as His Holy Spirit has been mistakenly been identified as water when it is not. Thanks for your post.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Baptism was required by God to receive The Holy Spirit for believing Jews in Acts. Because many had participated in the rejection of Jesus or not voicing to the leaders to accept Jesus as The Messiah. Even participating in Jesus being crucified.
Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death;

Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Baptism and repentance also saved (physically their earthly life) believing Jews from the coming judgment God had for Israel in 70 A.D.

And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.”

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well not exactly sure what a paragraph you are speaking of this: No, not exactly, Acts 10:
Acts 10:
44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. 45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. 46For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, 47“Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say yes.
Acts 10:

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Acts 10:

That is gentiles, i guess you did not read what i wrote, that was addressing in the early church Jewish believers before 70 A.D.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That could possibly be shown between John (the water baptizer) and Jesus (the Holy Ghost baptizer) because John the baptist (the water baptizer) was filled with the Holy Ghost from his mothers womb as shown in Luke 1:15 and yet when Jesus come to him to be baptized (with water) John (who was filled with the Holy Ghost) said,

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire

So then we see

Mat 13:13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John
, to be baptized of him

And John says this,

Mat 3:14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee,
and comest thou to me?

So John either needed to be baptized with the Holy Ghost (which he already had from the womb) or was in need of a water baptism.

It would seem John wasnt yet water baptized, thats how I am figuring it.

• Informative
Reactions: tonychanyt
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is kind of strange at the places of baptism (all the forbidding and what doth hinder me's going on between them)

Seen in John (and Jesus)

Mat 3:14 But John forbad him (Jesus) water baptism

In Philip (and the eunuch) the eunuch asks,

Acts 8:36 See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

In Peter (in respect to the Gentiles which have already received the Holy Ghost)

Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized,
which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

And again, John the baptist (who has the Holy Ghost) said to Jesus

Mat 3:14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee,
and comest thou to me?

Just as the Gentiles already had the Holy Ghost, the following verse says,

Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.

John has the Holy Ghost, still reccognizes that

I have need to be baptized of thee, Mat 3:14

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We're sealed with The Holy Spirit upon salvation
"Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;
22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts." II Cor 1
Also, "In Him you also who have heard the Word of Truth, the glad tidings (Gospel) of your salvation, and have believed in and adhered to and relied on Him, were stamped with the seal of the long-promised Holy Spirit." Eph 1

There's "...the doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2).

Baptism means immersions and there's 3 main Biblical ones. Each one with outward behaviors resulting from this new, inward, spiritual state.

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus reconcilng us to God (at salvation).
2- By another believer (water baptism) All 3 persons of the Godhead involved in this baptism as well.
3 - By Jesus who sends the promise of the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit and comes upon us
(The Spirit baptism)

More details:
1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus which reconciles us to God is the baptism at salvation. It's being baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ by believing in His death, burial, and resurrection. We become new creatures in Christ. We will tell others of our salvation. (Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4-9, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13; Acts 2:38; Gal 3:27, II Cor 5:17-18, Rom 10:9).

Water and Spirit baptism follows salvation - not in a set order though
2 - By another believer (water baptism) "... fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness," (Matt 3:6-16, 28:18-20; Acts 8:39, 10:47, 22:16; John 3:5).

3- - By Jesus who sends the promise of the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) includes when the Holy Spirit comes upon us, He endures us with power for service to Him, to be His witnesses, and to keep His Word. (Matt 3:11, 5:16; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; John 1:33, Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31; I John 3:24; Eze 36:25-28; John 14:25-27).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Sorry that I am slow. I read it. Can you graciously spell out the logic in your next reply? Thank you.

The Jewish believers in Acts were required by God to repent and to be baptized to receive The Holy Spirit. Why because they participated in the crucifixion of Jesus and they were part of the nation of Israel, who rejected Jesus as the promised Messiah.

I can not state it any easier or clearer

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Jewish believers in Acts were required by God to repent and to be baptized to receive The Holy Spirit.
verse?

Why because they participated in the crucifixion of Jesus and they were part of the nation of Israel, who rejected Jesus as the promised Messiah.

I can not state it any easier or clearer
I am not asking for your statement. I am asking for verse support or scholarly references. Do you have any?

We seem to have a communication problem.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
verse?

I am not asking for your statement. I am asking for verse support or scholarly references. Do you have any?

We seem to have a communication problem.

Again go back and read the post where i posted verses. For an example here is one of the verses i posted.

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0