✟83,638.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gal 3:

2 I wish only to learn this from you: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the Law or by hearing of faith?
I.e., the Paraclete indwelling Holy Spirit promised by Jesus.

14 so that the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, so that through faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.
The expression "receive the Spirit" referred to the Paraclete. After the resurrection, Jesus appeared in the disciples' hiding place in John 20:

21b Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit."
i.e., the Paraclete. Thomas was absent from this first set of people who received the Paraclete/Spirit.

There were more occasions to come. Acts 1:

4 While staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me; 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized withb the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”
I.e., the Pentecost.

8 "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
Acts 2:

1 When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place.
Probably 120 disciples (Acts 1:15)

2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and resteda on each one of them.
Wind represents the Holy Spirit. Tongues of fire represent the Paraclete.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
In this case, filling with the Holy Spirit means the Paraclete dwelled in them. That's the 2nd batch. But more people showed up because the commotion:

5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.
Peter stood up and preached to them.

37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
I.e., the Paraclete.

41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.
That's the 3rd batch.

Acts 8:

14 Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 for he had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.
That's the 4th batch, some Samaritans.

Next, Peter preached in Cornelius' house. He was a gentile. The Holy Spirit fell on the gentiles in Acts 10:

47 "Is anyone able to withhold the water to baptize these who have received the Holy Spirit, just as we also have?"
That's the 5th batch.

Paul visited some disciples in Ephesus. Acts 19:

2 And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”
Paul updated them.

6 And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying. 7 There were about twelve men in all.
That's the 6th batch.

1 John 2:

27 And you, the anointing [Paraclete] that you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But just as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things and is true and is no lie, and just as it has taught you, you shall abide in Him.
The following were the first six groups of people mentioned to have received the Spirit/Paraclete:

1. Jesus' closest disciples, perhaps 10.
  2. Tongues of fire rested on some Jews, perhaps 120.
  3. 3000 Jews from around the Roman world at Pentecost in Jerusalem.
  4. Some Samaritans.
  5. Some gentiles at Cornelius' house in Caesarea.
  6. 12 believers at Ephesus.

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,638.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ex 31:1 etc
Thanks for the reference. This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the quoted text.
  2. Selectively bold the relevant keywords that are important to your point. There is no need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole paragraph.
I do this for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee it will sharpen your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2022
East Sussex
✟18,781.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the reference. This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the quoted text.
  2. Selectively bold the relevant keywords that are important to your point. There is no need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole paragraph.
I do this for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee it will sharpen your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it.
I was bought up at the end of WW2 all the quality younger Teachers were doing their duty. I am glad i am not scholarly, as I understand many have found to much Education has be a drawback of freedom to Hear In The Spirit.:clap::scratch::sigh:

Upvote 0