Is there a congregation out there for me?

imperfection91

Feb 10, 2016
Glendale, CA
✟7,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some of them believed the Garden of Eden was in Armenia, some in Mesopotamia and many others have pointed to different places throughout the Middle East. I'm not gonna sit here and discuss the literal significance of a spiritual book with a babe; it'll go against my own beliefs. I don't find you to be a spiritual person at all.

But to burst both of our bubbles, one must be crazy too think the surface of the earth remained the same after a world-wide flood.

Anyways, let's not spam the homeboys thread. If you got something you want to discuss with me message me. Only if it's spiritual significance.

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm not gonna sit here and discuss the literal significance of a spiritual book with a babe

I've been a Christian for 30 years. I also attended Bible College for 3 years. I go to Church and hear the word every Sunday. I'm hardly a babe.

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I do hope he gets back to us and give us his feelings after having been to worship in the CofE church he referred to.

Yes, it would be good to hear back from him. Sorry for derailing the thread, I just feel that imperfection91 is spreading some false doctrines and needs to be addressed.

Upvote 0

imperfection91

Feb 10, 2016
Glendale, CA
✟7,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That proves nothing. I've taken over a year of religious courses, have a degree in respiratory therapy, and own a carwash with my partner, I'm 24. A child could know more about Christianity than us. And the sabbath is Saturday, idk why most churches hold service on Sunday but that's none of my business. At the end of the day it's if one was adulterous or not

Upvote 0

Pragmatix

Jul 22, 2015
✟7,675.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I do hope he gets back to us and give us his feelings after having been to worship in the CofE church he referred to.

I'm afraid to say my effort to worship last Sunday went wrong. I arrived at the church perhaps 15 minutes before the start time. There were perhaps 2 dozen people in the church including a good number of small children. I sat down in an aisle and after a few minutes a man in his sixties i'd guess came over and asked me if I was just visiting or was new to the area. He was very friendly and I wasn't taken aback. I said that I was a new Christian and he said that was fine and that there was another service earlier in the day I might be interested in as it was less for the family crowd and for older worshippers. He left and I sat there a couple more minutes stewing....I'd got it into my head I was at the wrong service! I should have been at the earlier service! I was nervous and felt uncomfortable and so I left, vowing to return for the earlier service next week. I should probably have stayed. Ho hum

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
He left and I sat there a couple more minutes stewing....I'd got it into my head I was at the wrong service! I should have been at the earlier service! I was nervous and felt uncomfortable and so I left, vowing to return for the earlier service next week. I should probably have stayed. Ho hum
Well, these things sometimes happen. Apparently, this is a church that has a traditional service earlier in the morning, and then follows it with a family worship (or contemporary service) at the 11:00 hour or so. This has become common these days.

The man who spoke to you seems to me to have wanted to give you a head's up about what you would be seeing without implying that you need to leave. Of course, you could have stayed. Anyway, I hope you'll brush this off as just a minor glitch and return next week. When any church sees a visitor, its ushers and greeters are faced with the tricky matter of not coming on too strong and overwhelming the person with welcoming comments (this scares away a lot of people) or, on the other hand, not taking enough notice of them (which leaves the impression that it's a cold and clannish congregation).

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,185.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes; just a glitch - that's how I view it. I'll be attending next Sunday (9.00 am) for sure. Thanks for your encouragement Albion :amen:

I'm sure you're welcome to attend either service available. If the services are different you could try out both a few times & see how it goes, if you wanted to do that.

Don't get discouraged if you don't understand everything right away. It takes time to settle into a faith tradition.

Anyway, good luck to you!

Reactions: Pragmatix
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,278,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm afraid to say my effort to worship last Sunday went wrong. I arrived at the church perhaps 15 minutes before the start time. There were perhaps 2 dozen people in the church including a good number of small children. I sat down in an aisle and after a few minutes a man in his sixties i'd guess came over and asked me if I was just visiting or was new to the area. He was very friendly and I wasn't taken aback. I said that I was a new Christian and he said that was fine and that there was another service earlier in the day I might be interested in as it was less for the family crowd and for older worshippers. He left and I sat there a couple more minutes stewing....I'd got it into my head I was at the wrong service! I should have been at the earlier service! I was nervous and felt uncomfortable and so I left, vowing to return for the earlier service next week. I should probably have stayed. Ho hum
I chuckled when I read this because I over think things too when I'm nervous. "I hate it when I'm the new guy on the block". Anyway don't let yourself talk yourself out of going next week. It is sooooo worth it when you find a good congregation. God bless!

Reactions: Pragmatix
Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Hi Pragmatix, you should have stayed for the service. I'm sure you would have been welcome. I hope you make it next week and God blesses you. BTW what Church is it that you are attending?

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
@Pragmatix
If I might be so bold...you said you were in AA. I'd like to suggest finding a Celebrate Recovery group. It's a Christ centered 12 step program. There's usually 2 meetings a week, one night is the STEP group where you work the 12 steps and the other night is the open meeting. The open meeting starts with worship, then there's a teaching time, break and small support groups. the site for it is www.celebraterecovery.com

Also...for a church, try an independent Christian church. If you message me your location, I'll see what I can dig up.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

Pragmatix

Jul 22, 2015
✟7,675.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
@Pragmatix
If I might be so bold...you said you were in AA. I'd like to suggest finding a Celebrate Recovery group. It's a Christ centered 12 step program. There's usually 2 meetings a week, one night is the STEP group where you work the 12 steps and the other night is the open meeting. The open meeting starts with worship, then there's a teaching time, break and small support groups. the site for it is www.celebraterecovery.com

Also...for a church, try an independent Christian church. If you message me your location, I'll see what I can dig up.

I'm in England and I don't know if Celebrate Recovery groups operate here. AA was founded by Christians and it seems compatible...I think, although I'm a newbie there too! Cheltenham UK is my area. I should probably try a few different churches. 1 at a time mind.

Upvote 0