Is the civorce rate among Christian couples really that high?

Egghead

Jun 25, 2005
✟2,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I ask this becuase most of the divorces Ive ever see, were ones where only one of the two were LIVING like a christian, the other claimed christianity, but never acted the part.

Example.
My mother and stepfather are having marital issues.
He has had problems in the past, they both have, but of late he is playing the part of a born again man.
Moms OSAS and feels shes a christian and going to heaven, but you couldnt tell it by her life and actions.

Are the statistics taking into account two REAL christians or just people who make the claim but dont play the part?

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Egghead said:
Are the statistics taking into account two REAL christians or just people who make the claim but dont play the part?

I don't think they're giving lie detector tests to the subjects in the statistics, if that's what you're asking. Yes, the stats are that high. Either there are lots of Christians faking the funk or Christendom is changing for the worse.

Upvote 0

Egghead

Jun 25, 2005
✟2,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Autumnleaf said:
I don't think they're giving lie detector tests to the subjects in the statistics, if that's what you're asking. Yes, the stats are that high. Either there are lots of Christians faking the funk or Christendom is changing for the worse.
Somone mentioned that there is a 50% divorce rate among ''christians''
For some reason I dont think its that high among those who are truly born again and living the life.
This is coming from a divorcee.
My ex claimed christianity, but presented little to no fruit whatsoever over the course of our marriage.
So to say that our ''christian'' marriage ended in divorce would be quite deceptive.
I think the stats are deceptive as many ''christians'' arent BIBLICAL christians who are truly repentant and born again, but are "christian" because they were born catholic or raised in church.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so, at least not among bible following Christians (as opposed to cultural Christians).

Our church, for example, has about 800 regular attendees. We haven't had a divorce in the church for over 7 years. Marriages in trouble and even separations, yes. But when the church has seen couples in trouble, there has been an outpouring of support, counseling, prayer and love towards the couple. During this time span, all the separations have reconciled.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
No they're not. John McArthur did a study that showed that of these Christians, what % actually went to church, believed Jesus was the only way to heaven, believed in Jesus, etc, and very few actually knew the fundamental beliefs. CS Lewis talks about how "Christian" has lost it's meaning. Most "Christians" call themselves Christian because to them it means a good person.

I wish I could find his article. I'll keep an eye out.

Upvote 0

Egghead

Jun 25, 2005
✟2,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Svt4Him said:
No they're not. John McArthur did a study that showed that of these Christians, what % actually went to church, believed Jesus was the only way to heaven, believed in Jesus, etc, and very few actually knew the fundamental beliefs. CS Lewis talks about how "Christian" has lost it's meaning. Most "Christians" call themselves Christian because to them it means a good person.

I wish I could find his article. I'll keep an eye out.
amen.
Id say that honestly about 80% of the "christians'' I know personally call themselves christian but dont go to church (which doesnt mean much unless..), show no fruits of the spirit, dont talk about God, smoke, drink, cuss every other word, etc, etc, etc.

I think being a ''christian'' is a hip fad these days, like being a hippie was in the 60s.
I think these hipster wanna bes are making real christian divorce rates look much higher than they are.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Egghead said:
Somone mentioned that there is a 50% divorce rate among ''christians''
For some reason I dont think its that high among those who are truly born again and living the life.
This is coming from a divorcee.
My ex claimed christianity, but presented little to no fruit whatsoever over the course of our marriage.
So to say that our ''christian'' marriage ended in divorce would be quite deceptive.
I think the stats are deceptive as many ''christians'' arent BIBLICAL christians who are truly repentant and born again, but are "christian" because they were born catholic or raised in church.

I don't know how useful it is to try to differentiate about Christians being either real or fake. Either way there is lots of divorce among Christians which should not be. All you have to do is look at the excuses people have for leaving around here and its not too hard to figure out what's going on. Secular religion.

Upvote 0

Egghead

Jun 25, 2005
✟2,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Autumnleaf said:
I don't know how useful it is to try to differentiate about Christians being either real or fake. Either way there is lots of divorce among Christians which should not be. All you have to do is look at the excuses people have for leaving around here and its not too hard to figure out what's going on. Secular religion.
What exactly do you call an excuse?

Is divorcing after years of being beaten an excuse?
raped?
habitual adultery?

If you found out your wife slept with your step-father for money, would that make you leave her?
How about with your best friend?
If she started lining up your friends and hers outside her bedroom to have sex with each of them in succession, would you stay with her?

Ive seen only a few here who are actually wanting to divorce for any cause.
Most of these people here are divorcing over sexual sin, something permitted by the bible.

And this 50% stat would be off dramatically if only one spouse was truly a born again christian, and most definitely deceptive if it is counting many who are calling themselves christian who are not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The locical fallacy is called "victory by definition". You define a word in such a way that it makes your case.

You are redefining "Christian" so that you can argue that the divorce rate is not as high as some claim it is among Christians. There are those who call themselves "Christian" but you are arguing that many, perhaps as many as 80% of those...

Id say that honestly about 80% of the "christians'' I know personally call themselves christian but dont go to church (which doesnt mean much unless..), show no fruits of the spirit, dont talk about God, smoke, drink, cuss every other word, etc, etc, etc.

are not really, Christians, and so, that being the case, the divorce rate among Christians, by your definition of the word, is incredibly low. And therefore we don't need to worry about the state of marriage in the Christian community.

Upvote 0

lastblast

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
✟15,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think looking at the divorced/remarried % of people WHO DO ATTEND CHURCH on a regular is extremely troubling............it shows what is NOT being taught in churches today..............."my people perish for lack of knowledge"............and the "blind lead the blind and they both fall into a ditch".........the "church" is in a sad state today.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Egghead said:
What exactly do you call an excuse?

Is divorcing after years of being beaten an excuse?
raped?
habitual adultery?

If you found out your wife slept with your step-father for money, would that make you leave her?
How about with your best friend?
If she started lining up your friends and hers outside her bedroom to have sex with each of them in succession, would you stay with her?

Ive seen only a few here who are actually wanting to divorce for any cause.
Most of these people here are divorcing over sexual sin, something permitted by the bible.

Adultery/fornication is a valid reason for a man to divorce his wife as Jesus said. Are that many women cheaters and fornicators?

But seriously, Christians divorce for reasons other than the one Jesus gave so we have more divorces. After all if it seems like a good reason and its legal, why not divorce if you can't stand who you are married to?

Egghead said:
And this 50% stat would be off dramatically if only one spouse was truly a born again christian, and most definitely deceptive if it is counting many who are calling themselves christian who are not.

Most people around here call themselves Christians and many are divorced while almost all admit to still sinning in one way or another. How do you differentiate between sinners when so many claim to be Christians? Can you really say some sinners are better than others because they are really born again? Are they born again if they still sin? How much can they still sin until we say they're faking it so they should not count in the divorce survey?

These are the things that bother me. Not alot of things across some sea. I don't even have a master plan. I guess that I am just, a simple man.:)

Upvote 0

Egghead

Jun 25, 2005
✟2,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see.
So youd reject that we know true christians by their fruits and just accept that any who claim it.....are?
bliz said:
The locical fallacy is called "victory by definition". You define a word in such a way that it makes your case.

You are redefining "Christian" so that you can argue that the divorce rate is not as high as some claim it is among Christians. There are those who call themselves "Christian" but you are arguing that many, perhaps as many as 80% of those...

are not really, Christians, and so, that being the case, the divorce rate among Christians, by your definition of the word, is incredibly low. And therefore we don't need to worry about the state of marriage in the Christian community.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Egghead said:
I see.
So youd reject that we know true christians by their fruits and just accept that any who claim it.....are?

I don't know what a "true CHristian" is. One either is a Christian, or is not. Christians have been forgiven of their sins and are covered by the blood of Jesus. Christians can indeed be identified by the Fruits of the Spirit, and also by their love for one another. Is a "true Christian" some sub catagory of Christian?

No mention is made in scripture however concerning smoking or drinking alcohol and if that indicates someone is a Christian or a non-Christian. Christians are exhorted to be in fellowship with other CHristians, but I don't know that that always has to translate into church attendance, let alone church attendance that you are knowledgable of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lastblast

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
✟15,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Egghead said:
I see.

Do you believe when a brother or sister asks something point blank that it is Christ-like to continue to deceive and refuse to be honest---instead attacking the person/people asking for the clarification? Would that type of deceptive/evasive person be a "true" Christian? If that type of person goes to Church, do you then think they are a real Christian?:confused:

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
bliz said:

And this is a non sequitur arguement. Just because the term Christian does imply certain beliefs, it in no way means it's not important to understand marriage or issues facing them. A Christian who doesn't believe in Jesus isn't really a Christian are they? CS Lewis in Mere Christianity did cover this well, and there are some basic beliefs one should adhere to as a Christian. So by the same note, Christian can be defined so broadly that there is an equal chance of "victory by definition".

Upvote 0

BubbaGumpShrimp

Sep 25, 2005
✟357.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus was pretty clear;

Joh 15:1-6 "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. (2) Every branch in Me which does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch which bears fruit He prunes, so that it may bear more fruit. (3) You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. (4) Abide in Me, and I in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit on its own, unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. (5) I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; because apart from Me you can do nothing. (6) If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out like a branch and dries up; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.

So was Paul;

2Co 11:26 In journeys often, in dangers of rivers, in dangers of robbers, in dangers from my own race, in dangers from the Gentiles, in dangers in the city, in dangers in the wilderness, in dangers in the sea, in dangers among false brothers;

Just because someone says they are christian doesnt make it so.
Its almost ''cool'' these days to be a ''christian'' and wear a ''WWJD'' charm, then show no fruits whatsoever of actually being a christian.

Upvote 0

BubbaGumpShrimp

Sep 25, 2005
✟357.00
Faith
Christian
lastblast said:
Do you believe when a brother or sister asks something point blank that it is Christ-like to continue to deceive and refuse to be honest
Depends on whether the answer is the business of the asker.
If I didnt answer someone, it would be because the answer was none of their business.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
BubbaGumpShrimp said:
Just because someone says they are christian doesnt make it so.
Its almost ''cool'' these days to be a ''christian'' and wear a ''WWJD'' charm, then show no fruits whatsoever of actually being a christian.

Its hip to be a hypocrite?! How ironic, one of the main things Jesus scolded people for.

Upvote 0