The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This thread is a reply to certain posts concerning Chinese Christianity in my thread on potentially heterodox parishes and local churches, as this formed the basis of an interesting discussion with @bbbbbbb @MarkRohfrietsch and @FireDragon76 which was off-topic to the previous thread:

Blatant interference by foreign missionaries in China is not a good idea if you care about a Christian witness there. It is a settled matter among longstanding Christian groups in China, that foreign missionaries endanger Christian mission. That is why the national Protestant church is called the "Three Self Church". This predates Communism, and has to do with the Chinese peoples' desire to uphold self-sufficiency in all matters, including religion.

What I care about is the restoration of religious freedom.

The fact is, by the way, that Christianity is a foreign religion in China, and always will be of foreign origin, but so is Buddhism, which is one of the four “traditional” Chinese religions (the others being Taoism, Confucianism, and Chinese Folk Religion, which influenced Confucianism and is largely administered by Taoist clergy - Confucianism is also completely suppressed in the PRC and is only freely practiced in Taiwan, the diaspora, and, for the time being, in the Hong Kong and Macau SARs, and who knows how long that will last given that the treaties requiring the autonomy of those regions as a prerequisite to their surrender to mainland China are, unsurprisingly, but disappointingly, being completely ignored by the brutal dictatorship of Xi Jinping, yet no meaningful sanctions are being applied to China, just as no sanctions are being applied to Azerbaijan for what they are doing to the Armenians. It seems like the world will tolerate any abuse as long as Christians are the victims, but I digress. Speaking of which, Islam is massive in China, but more people are outraged by the Chinese human rights violations against the Muslims in Western China than they are by the human rights violations against Christians throughout the entirety of China.

At any rate, it should be stressed that mainland China, from a missionary perspective, was first served by the Church of the East, until the genocide of Tamerlane and his sons killed off all members of that church in China, Mongolia, Tibet, Central Asia, the island of Socotra off the south coast of Yemen, and everywhere else outside the Fertile Crescent and Malankara, so that only the Assyrian and the Nasrani / Mar Thoma Christian ethnic groups remained. Later, northern China was evangelized with considerable success by the Russians, with the last Orthodox bishop of Shanghai, St. John Maximovitch of Shanghai and San Francisco, being much venerated among the Orthodox Christians. Additionally, the Anglicans did a superb job in Hong Kong and Shanghai, and the Roman Catholics in Macau.

Probably due to the Sino-Soviet split, the Chinese Orthodox Church was completely suppressed, and there is no Orthodox equivalent of the state-run “Patriotic Catholic Association” or its Protestant counterpart, and tragically the beautiful Orthodox cathedral in Harbin is a museum. Hopefully the improved relation between Russia and the PRC might change this, but it has not thus far, and I am not holding my breath. My view is that the northern portion of mainland China ought to be regarded as the canonical territory of the Russian Orthodox Church (since the Church of Japan is also an autonomous part of the Moscow Patriarchate), whereas the southern portion and Tibet ought to be regarded as the canonical territory of the Assyrian Church of the East, which fortunately has a very good relationship with the Moscow Patriarchate, and the Christian community in the former British and Portuguese colonies and surrounding regions on the West Coast ought to be jointly administered by a united Anglican-Methodist-Presbyterian-Congregationalist church modeled on the Church of South India, the Church of North India and the Church of Pakistan, and the Roman Catholic Church (provided Fidelis Supplicans is revoked), until such time as the blissful state of religious freedom currently enjoyed in Taiwan can be introduced to mainland China, or alternately, a Christian government emerges in China which can suppress the pagan religions such as Buddhism, Taoism, Islam, etc.

I am, to be clear, calling for direct foreign leadership of the churches in mainland China, as the ideal solution for a transitional period, in order to ensure that certain doctrinal errors such as the Prosperity Gospel are eradicated, and at the same time to protect Chinese Christianity from the unscriptural permissiveness towards homosexuality which seems to be overtaking all of the Western denominations, even the Roman Catholic church. And I am also suggesting that the suppression of the heathen religions of China would be desirable, if possible, since, while some may disagree, I do not believe that false religions benefit a society once Christianity has been introduced. The only reason why religious freedom is desirable is it prevents a situation such as happened in some Western European countries such as the Netherlands and Geneva where state control of religion resulted in people being forced to abandon traditional Christianity or worship in secret. And it can be argued that the Golden Rule compels religious freedom, although this point is debatable, however, I myself do support religious freedom to a point (the problem being where you have dangerous cults such as the Wahhabist movement within Sunni Islam, or the Jafari movement in Shia Islam, both of which are comfortable engaging in terrorism, and also Scientology, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, and more extreme cases such as the Rajneeshis who terrorized rural Oregon in the 1980s and were responsible for the first bioterror attacks in US history).

Last edited:

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Very little would be my understanding. It is easy enough for one Church body to accept or sever fellowship with another, but each body being autonomous regarding the ILC gives the ILC little authority over them; just like a congregation is autonomous in a Congregationalist synod. Then there are the politics....

Could you explain what exactly the problems are with the Japan Lutheran Church? Does it concern the embrace of homosexual perversion?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree entirely. There are several networks of Bible schools in China which provide a one-year course both in essential Bible topics as well as in English instruction. The English instruction is used to motivate parents to educate their children. English is a significant element in one's ability to gain better employment. The students range in age from 13 at the very youngest up to 40 and with varying levels of knowledge of both the Bible and English. I know also of a sort of graduate school which offers instruction in basic Greek and Hebrew and some theology.

Forgive me for not replying sooner. This is very interesting - is this group in your opinion having a positive impact on doctrinal orthodoxy?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,083.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Could you explain what exactly the problems are with the Japan Lutheran Church? Does it concern the embrace of homosexual perversion?
Not yet, but time will tell; the issue is their definition of the office of Pastor; Female Deaconesses overstepping biblical authority. Here is a copy of Bishop Harrisons letter to the Church in Japan: LCMS Document Library

Australia is likely heading down the same road.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Not yet, but time will tell; the issue is their definition of the office of Pastor; Female Deaconesses overstepping biblical authority. Here is a copy of Bishop Harrisons letter to the Church in Japan: LCMS Document Library

Australia is likely heading down the same road.

Thank you for that! I will certainly be praying for that church.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟551,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
History of Christianity/Christian Movement in Japan and Korea is an interesting subject/topic to study..
- especially, during the early years/the beginning..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,040.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Forgive me for not replying sooner. This is very interesting - is this group in your opinion having a positive impact on doctrinal orthodoxy?
Yes, they are striving for doctrinal orthodoxy as well as genuine ecumenical unity. They generally trace their origins to various Protestant missionaries beginning in the nineteenth century, primarily the Plymouth Brethren. The legacy of the PB's, although generally quite positive, is problematic as the Exclusive Brethren developed a significant presence which, after 1949 and the martyrdom of Watchman Nee, one of his followers, Witness Lee, gained control and led his followers into various serious errors.

The problems in China are not identical to those faced in the United States. Theological liberalism is virtually unknown among Chinese Christians. Thus, homosexuality is not a significant issue at all in the Chinese church. Abortion, especially forced abortion, is a far greater issue.

Much more problematic has been the sincere (and quite misguided IMO) efforts of Pentecostal and Charismatic groups in the USA to "evangelize" China. Joel Osteen, for example, has developed a following among young Christians in China. Among some genuine miracles there are also many "manufactured" miracles. There is a variety of homegrown heretics promoting false teachings quite unknown in the USA or elsewhere. A lady has been on the preaching circuit in China with her rendition of her after-death experience of heaven - where people are very happy and are eating chicken (a highly desirable food in China). There is also a cult that is built around a man who claims to have been filled with the Spirit of God on the same level as Jesus Christ.

Feeding this trend is the great interest in China of all things American. Among non-Christians this ranges from American technology and fashion styles to the concept of political bi-party elections and freedom of speech. In the Chinese view, Americans are as they are depicted in the popular media - very prosperous, healthy, young, and, above all, happy. Chinese people, naturally, want all of these things for themselves. Thus, they are open to various means of determining how America came to this wonderful state of being. If religious belief is the key, then they want to use that key to create prosperity, health, youth and happiness for themselves.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,040.00
Faith
Non-Denom
On another note, the Roman Catholic Church has an extremely lengthy history of evangelization in China. From an architectural side I found China Gothic: The Bishop of Beijing and His Cathedral to be quite interesting.

The historic strategy of the RCC, as was typical in many, if not most, non-Christian countries was to work from the center of power outwards. RCC missions began following the famous journey of Marco Polo to the court of Genghis Khan (who, of course, was not Han Chinese). Various RCC missionaries were sent out and, as is typical, had their own internal disagreements and power plays, both between the orders and between the European governments who were aiding them. The French seemed to be the most successful with the result that every major city of China has a very impressive French Gothic Revival style cathedral to this day. These cathedrals, of course, had their ties to Rome severed with the advent of the Chinese Communist Party. They are officially part of the government department of religion (superstition - the Chinese word for religion is the same as superstition). The cathedrals are used in the propaganda program of the CCP to convince the world that Christianity and Christians have religious freedom.

Curiously, I was in Guangzhou (formerly Canton) with a young Chinese lady who showed me the Catholic cathedral. We were there right before the start of mass. My friend wanted to attend with me, but she was firmly told that it was only for Christians. Although she told the guard that they was a Christian (actually, she is syncretistic in her beliefs - which is very popular in China) the guard was adamant that we could not attend.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,040.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thanks for posting! This topic greatly intrigued me. Especially of Chinese and Japanese Christian martyrs of the faith.
In addition to Watchman Nee, there were six others who were martyred at the same time. The Chinese government has strictly forbidden the publication of any of their writings in Chinese. You can find Watchmen Nee's writings in English translation, but not at all in Chinese.

Martyrdom in China certainly did not end with these men. It continues to this day. Any Christian who does not participate in the government church has the potential to become a martyr because it is a capital crime to oppose the government (Communist party) of China. At this point, although the government is applying the screws to Christians who do not comply, they are much more keen to rein in the Uyghurs (Muslims) because they are the largest and most unified religious opposition. Then, there is also China's intent to conquer Taiwan and their on-going conquest of Hong Kong.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, they are striving for doctrinal orthodoxy as well as genuine ecumenical unity. They generally trace their origins to various Protestant missionaries beginning in the nineteenth century, primarily the Plymouth Brethren. The legacy of the PB's, although generally quite positive, is problematic as the Exclusive Brethren developed a significant presence which, after 1949 and the martyrdom of Watchman Nee, one of his followers, Witness Lee, gained control and led his followers into various serious errors.

The problems in China are not identical to those faced in the United States. Theological liberalism is virtually unknown among Chinese Christians. Thus, homosexuality is not a significant issue at all in the Chinese church. Abortion, especially forced abortion, is a far greater issue.

Much more problematic has been the sincere (and quite misguided IMO) efforts of Pentecostal and Charismatic groups in the USA to "evangelize" China. Joel Osteen, for example, has developed a following among young Christians in China. Among some genuine miracles there are also many "manufactured" miracles. There is a variety of homegrown heretics promoting false teachings quite unknown in the USA or elsewhere. A lady has been on the preaching circuit in China with her rendition of her after-death experience of heaven - where people are very happy and are eating chicken (a highly desirable food in China). There is also a cult that is built around a man who claims to have been filled with the Spirit of God on the same level as Jesus Christ.

Feeding this trend is the great interest in China of all things American. Among non-Christians this ranges from American technology and fashion styles to the concept of political bi-party elections and freedom of speech. In the Chinese view, Americans are as they are depicted in the popular media - very prosperous, healthy, young, and, above all, happy. Chinese people, naturally, want all of these things for themselves. Thus, they are open to various means of determining how America came to this wonderful state of being. If religious belief is the key, then they want to use that key to create prosperity, health, youth and happiness for themselves.

Indeed, I have been worried about this occurring in China. And the fact that Joel Osteen, who I regard as one of the more problematic teachers of our time, since I reject the Prosperity Gospel on an absolute basis, is getting active, makes me cringe.

I should probably add his church to the list of problematic churches thread.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,040.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Indeed, I have been worried about this occurring in China. And the fact that Joel Osteen, who I regard as one of the more problematic teachers of our time, since I reject the Prosperity Gospel on an absolute basis, is getting active, makes me cringe.

I should probably add his church to the list of problematic churches thread.
I complete concur. I would definitely add his church to the list of problematic churches. It is more a case that although he may not defiantly reject orthodox Christian doctrine, he apparently sees it as completely irrelevant to the primary message of health and prosperity.

Upvote 0