Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey Jimmy. I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I think it was possible for him to turn away from the cross. He chose not to. I think acknowledging that choice is an important part of respecting Jesus' humanity and sacrifice. Have I misunderstood you?

As long as you agree it would have been to bad for us if He had done so!

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

prophecy link in my profile!
Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As long as you agree it would have been to bad for us if He had done so!

I'm not sure. I think God would have made another way, but more so I think that, while Jesus had a choice, God engineered the situation in such a way that he knew Jesus would not choose to turn away.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes with a God who is able to exist independently of time, space, matter!

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
You do understand that less than half of US citizens are forced serve the needs of others, right? Most people don't pay income tax.

You also understand what the working definition of slavery is, as I set out plainly in the OP, and to which everyone agreed, until, that is they understood I was the salve. Then there was backpedaling.
Ah there it..your "slavery" taxes!

Slavery is alive and well, and inf act the amount of slaves in today's world are more than what we had during the ole' african chattel slave days. The difference between now and then is that today it is all, more or less, sex slavery.

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

prophecy link in my profile!
Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
voluntary

I wonder about that. I mean, I agree according to a pretty strict assessment that ultimately every individual is responsible for their own behavior no matter what. I think there's a lot of good truth there, but grace seems to more about considering things like influence, circumstances, context, sincerity, effort, and a few dozen other significant factors. Have you ever had personal experience with anyone who has been inconvenienced by debt?

What about any situation where you'd reasonably conclude someone was taken advantage of by various savvy credit-related sales pitches, whether they be loans, credit cards, mortgages, or whatever...?

What about anyone whom you would say was actually harmed (according to whatever definition you feel is right for the context) by debt?

Teaching. Guiding. Influencing. Marketing. Manipulating. Creating interest. They could all be synonyms depending on context. Different people can be convinced to see the same piece of evidence from dozens of contradictory perspectives. Somehow, it has become not only acceptable, but a symbol of social status to have the highest capacity for the greatest amount of wealth which does not belong to you (i.e. high credit scores).

Of course debt does not appear as slavery. It's not profitable to portray it that way.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wonder about that. I mean, I agree according to a pretty strict assessment that ultimately every individual is responsible for their own behavior no matter what. I think there's a lot of good truth there, but grace seems to more about considering things like influence, circumstances, context, sincerity, effort, and a few dozen other significant factors. Have you ever had personal experience with anyone who has been inconvenienced by debt?

What about any situation where you'd reasonably conclude someone was taken advantage of by various savvy credit-related sales pitches, whether they be loans, credit cards, mortgages, or whatever...?

What about anyone whom you would say was actually harmed (according to whatever definition you feel is right for the context) by debt?

Teaching. Guiding. Influencing. Marketing. Manipulating. Creating interest. They could all be synonyms depending on context. Different people can be convinced to see the same piece of evidence from dozens of contradictory perspectives. Somehow, it has become not only acceptable, but a symbol of social status to have the highest capacity for the greatest amount of wealth which does not belong to you (i.e. high credit scores).

Of course debt does not appear as slavery. It's not profitable to portray it that way.
We used to deal with loans without any interest. It was the idea that charging interest was I think not very christian. Then that changed. I wonder why that changed or was deemed acceptable to charge interest. Now we have a bunch of loan sharks charging ridiculous amounts of interest to desperate people.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Defining slavery as the forceful use of one person to serve the purpose of another, is slavery an acceptable practice?

Does God approve of it?

Is it acceptable under certain circumstances?

Why is it wrong?
You seem to be asking a lot of questions. Do you really not know, or have you never worked as a slave before?

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,627.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The problem I have is that in a world where many are genuinely in forced labour and regarded as chattels, it is extremely degrading to them to liken the circumstance of the provision of government services to the deserving and undeserving poor alike at the expense of the taxpayer, as to suggest that this is the same thing. It is like the rich complaining poor me when it seems we have been completely unable despite our best endeavors over the past couple of hundred years to eradicate slavery.

Upvote 0

tienkhoanguyen

non-denominational Christian
Dec 17, 2016
Houston, TX
✟1,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Defining slavery as the forceful use of one person to serve the purpose of another, is slavery an acceptable practice?

Does God approve of it?

Is it acceptable under certain circumstances?

Why is it wrong?
Now in modern times "Slavery being defined as employee" there are also kind bosses and cruel bosses. It specifically says if you are a highly trained worker you will serve before Kings instead of cruel men. This is if I am not mistaken. It also says that you either serve GOD or men and not both! That is why if you want a good life you need to receive GOD#!!

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The problem I have is that in a world where many are genuinely in forced labour and regarded as chattels, it is extremely degrading to them to liken the circumstance of the provision of government services to the deserving and undeserving poor alike at the expense of the taxpayer, as to suggest that this is the same thing. It is like the rich complaining poor me when it seems we have been completely unable despite our best endeavors over the past couple of hundred years to eradicate slavery.

I'm not rich. My wife and I both work, and we are slaves to those who don't work because the government takes our money and hands it to able-bodied people in order to buy votes or avoid the difficult task of cutting them off.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,627.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not rich. My wife and I both work, and we are slaves to those who don't work because the government takes our money and hands it to able-bodied people in order to buy votes or avoid the difficult task of cutting them off.
I am not unsympathetic, though I am aware of the real problem of discerning the deserving and the undeserving amongst the poor. My point is in a real world where real people are actually bound in slavery (as we would more traditionally understand it) you claim for the slave tag sounds as a noisy gong or a clanging symbol.

• Agree
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0