Is Saturday Sabbath Observance Essential?

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He says in the video that it was a Baptist Church in "." I cant imagine that the Baptists would be overly anxious to admit this happened, so that might explain why its not readily available on the net. I will try to contact someone in the next week or so who can likely answer your question further - and I would close on this aspect with two thoughts:

1) This video is not needed to "prove" anything about the observance of sabbath being "essential;" as the OP puts it. It is just intended as a testimony of how God can enable us to choose to do something we know He is telling us to do. I thought it would be quite appropriate for this thread as there are a lot of Adventists who have chosen to observe the Sabbath, and similar things happened in those cases too. :)

2) If at any point the video is shown to be a fake; thats no problem. I can readily admit to the facts if such are brought to light; and even if it was a fake of some kind, it would not affect the Biblical evidence for or against observing the Sabbath - but right now there is no reason to doubt the authenticity of the video or the testimony therein.

Web sites aren't always up to date. Old info and news would probably still be on. I just find it curious a pastor with a PHD is nowhere to be found on the web when my local pastor from a small town is on multiple places.

I get nothing on pastor reggie wooden, huntsville, either.

I have absolutely no proof or indication that the video is a fake. I fully believe it is possible! But I can find absolutely no independant verification it is true, when it seems I should be able to find something about this man's past. See where I'm coming from?

Edit to add: Do you really think any Baptists would have a "cover up" on such a matter? There are S-D Baptists, and the day of worship isn't one of the big issues for any Baptists I know. I talked to a local Baptist minister last year who told me he belives that no day is now commanded, Sabbath or Sunday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
Web sites aren't always up to date. Old info and news would probably still be on. I just find it curious a pastor with a PHD is nowhere to be found on the web when my local pastor from a small town is on multiple places.

I get nothing on pastor reggie wooden, huntsville, either.

I have absolutely no proof or indication that the video is a fake. I fully believe it is possible! But I can find absolutely no independant verification it is true, when it seems I should be able to find something about this man's past. See where I'm coming from?

Edit to add: Do you really think any Baptists would have a "cover up" on such a matter? There are S-D Baptists, and the day of worship isn't one of the big issues for any Baptists I know. I talked to a local Baptist minister last year who told me he belives that no day is now commanded, Sabbath or Sunday.
Well my friend; I am going to let you have your opinion on the video; as I mentioned, it's not a major point for this OP anyways. Just be patient, give it time; I am sure the truth will continue to unfold. :)

Sounds like there are varying opinions amongst Baptists too on this point. Thanks for sharing that about the Baptist Pastor you talked to. I enjoy your visits to our forum! I'll likely have to be offline for a few days, but fear not; I will be back! lol :)

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Stryder said the truth matters, not the denomination. Is the "Sabbath truth" what matters?

I was wondering if this was going to come back misunderstood. When I said "the denomination doesn't matter" I was speaking to the fact that God will call anyone who is willing to listen, and use them. I still believe God has a specific mission for the SDA church, and it is our teaching that as we draw closer to the end, some will be shaken out of the church, but others will accept the truth and step in to fill the vacancy.

Would you be so kind as to tell me what Baptist church this PHD pastor was leading so I could verify the facts? I'm not doubting, I've just came to a dead end on my web searches. Thanks!

No clue what the church is. I don't even recall hearing his name during the testimony.

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[=Castaway57;63405928]Well my friend; I am going to let you have your opinion on the video; as I mentioned, it's not a major point for this OP anyways. Just be patient, give it time; I am sure the truth will continue to unfold. :)
No problem, good sir! As I've said before I just like to verify things

Sounds like there are varying opinions amongst Baptists too on this point. Thanks for sharing that about the Baptist Pastor you talked to. I enjoy your visits to our forum! I'll likely have to be offline for a few days, but fear not; I will be back! lol :)

Yes, I understand some Baptists are indeed "sabitarians" in that they believe that the day of rest has been somehow switched from Sabbath to Sunday. Paster Darryl, who I had a one on one lunch with last year, said he believes that no day is now required of Christians and Sabbath observance is part of the old ceremonial law given to only Israel. I really don't know what view is most prevalent, but I don't think they worry about it much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[=Stryder06;63419698]I was wondering if this was going to come back misunderstood. When I said "the denomination doesn't matter" I was speaking to the fact that God will call anyone who is willing to listen, and use them. I still believe God has a specific mission for the SDA church, and it is our teaching that as we draw closer to the end, some will be shaken out of the church, but others will accept the truth and step in to fill the vacancy.
This makes sense, thank you.

No clue what the church is. I don't even recall hearing his name during the testimony.

For some reason I like to verify pretty much everything that I see or read on the web, I'm not singling you good folks out! Some things turn out legit, some don't. So far I'm at a dead end on this one. Fill me in!

Upvote 0

E.T.Elijah

Brother In Christ
Aug 29, 2011
Bartonville, IL
✟15,311.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yeah that was my original search on google. Typed in pastor reggie wooden huntsville al. It came up with a Grace Memorial church or something like that at the first link. He was a guest speaker about half way down the page; My Sabbath Testimony - Pastor Reggie Whiddon. Search that name and found quite a few listings for him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Although he is a Sabbath-keeper, I am not sure if he is an SDA. His website mentions nothing of it and it appears he is part of a hebrew roots movement. you can find his web sight by searching reggie whiddon olive branch.

Thanks. I feel better knowing he is a verifiable person. Things were looking a little suspicious for a while. Whoever posted that video obviously should take a little more care with the facts. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
Thanks. I feel better knowing he is a verifiable person. Things were looking a little suspicious for a while. Whoever posted that video obviously should take a little more care with the facts. Thanks again!
A little "suspicion" never hurt anyone. That way we get to check it out. You have uncovered something very interesting pertaining to this thread. But I have no time right now to comment. I will look forward to coming back soon. Thanks for your effort and contribution.
attachment.php

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A little "suspicion" never hurt anyone. That way we get to check it out. You have uncovered something very interesting pertaining to this thread. But I have no time right now to comment. I will look forward to coming back soon. Thanks for your effort and contribution.

Thanks, looking forward to what you have discovered. BTW, I attended worship at the local Adventist church again today and it was good.

Upvote 0

OldStudent

Feb 24, 2007
central Ohio
✟8,188.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What do you think about the actual question/title of the OP? Do we HAVE to keep the Sabbath? If so, when, why?

Sorry. I've been away for a while.
I will respond to that in a fuzzy way first. I expect there will be many people in heaven to whom the Sabbath will be a new thing. They had not had opportunity to be exposed to the concept of Sabbath but they were faithful in what they knew.

Say a young man and woman have been chatting and are finding their company interesting. Before they go their ways he says, "I'm going to a concert Thursday. Would you come with me?" She replies, "Aw, do I HAVE to?" How likely is that!

Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments." Jn 14:15. The Sabbath IS one of the commandments. Perhaps "commandments" is taken wrong. Do to our love for Him it is a "date" we will be happy to honor and conform to. If we don't want to we are free not too. But that also speaks to our level of (or lack of) love for Him. If we keep dodging His "dates" here, would we fit in heaven where the universe is timed by that "date?" (Isa 66:23)

Just musing.

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
Sorry. I've been away for a while.
I will respond to that in a fuzzy way first. I expect there will be many people in heaven to whom the Sabbath will be a new thing. They had not had opportunity to be exposed to the concept of Sabbath but they were faithful in what they knew.

Say a young man and woman have been chatting and are finding their company interesting. Before they go their ways he says, "I'm going to a concert Thursday. Would you come with me?" She replies, "Aw, do I HAVE to?" How likely is that!

Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments." Jn 14:15. The Sabbath IS one of the commandments. Perhaps "commandments" is taken wrong. Do to our love for Him it is a "date" we will be happy to honor and conform to. If we don't want to we are free not too. But that also speaks to our level of (or lack of) love for Him. If we keep dodging His "dates" here, would we fit in heaven where the universe is timed by that "date?" (Isa 66:23)

Just musing.
I really appreciate the way you shared your thoughts on this, very well said too! I have studied John 14:15, and the original words could easily be interpreted to read: "If you love Me; [ye will be able to] keep my commandments. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really appreciate the way you shared your thoughts on this, very well said too! I have studied John 14:15, and the original words could easily be interpreted to read: "If you love Me; [ye will be able to] keep my commandments. :)
Young's literal translation:
15 `If ye love me, my commands keep,

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
attachment.php

I'm still here, Castaway. What interesting thing have we found pertaining to this thread? Thanks and God bless!

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I'm still here, Castaway. What interesting thing have we found pertaining to this thread? Thanks and God bless!
Ha ha; well lots of things! Trouble is I am quite busy for the next little while and do not have enough time to post here in a way that would do justice to the topic. I believe your response to me last was regarding John 14:15? If so; let me know, and I will follow up on that end of this topic - I wasnt sure if you were looking for comments to your post of Young's Literal Translation of that text. If you have some question about my use of that text - just fire away - and may God bless you too!

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ha ha; well lots of things! Trouble is I am quite busy for the next little while and do not have enough time to post here in a way that would do justice to the topic. I believe your response to me last was regarding John 14:15? If so; let me know, and I will follow up on that end of this topic - I wasnt sure if you were looking for comments to your post of Young's Literal Translation of that text. If you have some question about my use of that text - just fire away - and may God bless you too!

My only intended thought is the obvious one that John 14:15's purported reference to the ten commandments is tenuous at best.

Upvote 0