Is repentance required for salvation?

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is something that I have just wondered about.
What saith the Scripture? It should be evident that any Gospel message that omits repentance is a false Gospel message.

But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: (Matthew 3:7,8)

From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. (Matthew 4:17)

And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. (Luke 24:47)

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:38)

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; (Acts 3:19)

Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. (Acts 20:21)

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is something that I have just wondered about. I know and believe that we are saved by faith. If we are to repent as well, would that mean that repentance is a work or that God only saves once we repent? I believe that we are saved by faith because of His grace. Would repentance be required to be saved? In other words, is repentance required for salvation or is it just faith and then later repentance? In your opinion, is repentance being required for salvation biblical or is that a work that is added to faith?

Very briefly I'd answer that Repentance is [edit] completely necessary. Its not a dead work if it comes from faith. When God's Word comes to a person through the Scriptures by Grace through Faith they are beginning to hear Jesus calling them to Himself coming to know they belong to Jesus Christ, that he died, and rose for them, that he is seeking them, and he has come to look for the sheep that wandered off, repentance then issues from this.

Works are external conformity to a standard, repentance is an inner change, that comes about when we admit to God we really can't change ourselves, and ask him to change us inside. Often we come to realise that after seeking to practice good living but finding ourselves at some point back to square one.

John White wrote good book explaining it called Changing on the Inside.

Also William Barclay's book Turning to God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In answer to the title of the OP, "
Is repentance required for salvation?",

Are eggs required to make an omelet?
Does a sailboat require wind to move?
Can a gasoline engine run without gasoline?

I rest my case.....

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Very briefly I'd answer that Repentance is completely essential not for salvation but as another Poster said as part of being saved (but remember its Jesus who saves) Its not a dead work if it comes from faith. Reading the Bible, by Grace through Faith we come to know Who we are called to belong to, that we belong to Jesus Christ, that he died, and rose for us, that we are of his sheep-fold, and he has come to look for the sheep that wandered off, repentance then issues from this.

Works are external conformity to a standard, repentance is an inner change, that comes about when we admit to God we really can't change ourselves, and ask him to change us inside. Often we come to realise that after seeking to practice good living but finding ourselves at some point back to square one.

John White wrote good book explaining it called Changing on the Inside.

Also William Barclay's book Turning to God.

So repentance is not essential for salvation yet it is a part of salvation? That sounds contradictory.

Repentance is necessary. Jesus said the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would see that in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites declared to the people to cry out to God and to turn from their evil ways. Then God had seen that they did indeed turned from their sin and wickedness. This is repentance. It is how the Ninevites escaped the Judgment or wrath of God. It is no different today. Jesus said repent or perish. So yes. Repentance is 100% absolutely necessary for salvation. But people like their sin more than God so they try to make excuses to say that you can at least die in one unrepentant sin and still be in God's good graces. But how can one generally live holy and then do one kind of evil? Did not the very fall of mankind itself take place as the result of one sin? Jesus said if a person looks upon a woman in lust, they have committed adultery and they are in danger of having their body cast into hell fire (Matthew 5:28-30). Jesus said if we do not forgive, we will not be forgiven (Matthew 6:15). Paul said if any man teach contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine of Godliness, they are proud and they know nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
So repentance is not essential for salvation yet it is a part of salvation? That sounds contradictory.

There a difference between the process of earning something and the process of receiving something. For example, an employee earns their money by working a certain number of hours per week, not by cashing their check at a bank, but cashing their check is an essential part of receiving their money. Our repentance is not we do to earn our salvation, but it is part of what it means to receive our salvation. Our salvation is from sin, which is disobedience to God's law, so part of being saved from disobedience is turning from our disobedience to back to obedience to God, which is repentance.

But people like their sin more than God so they try to make excuses to say that you can at least die in one unrepentant sin and still be in God's good graces. But how can one generally live holy and then do one kind of evil? Did not the very fall of mankind itself take place as the result of one sin? Jesus said if a person looks upon a woman in lust, they have committed adultery and they are in danger of having their body cast into hell fire (Matthew 5:28-30). Jesus said if we do not forgive, we will not be forgiven (Matthew 6:15). Paul said if any man teach contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine of Godliness, they are proud and they know nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

A.) A Christian man is driving, sees an attractive woman, has a lustful thought, and as a result of the distraction he gets into an accident a dies.

B.) A Christian man is driving, sees an attractive woman, has a lustful thought, and as a result of the distraction he gets into an accident a dies, but he repents a split second before he dies.

If both men have their names written in the book of life, then both are saved.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There a difference between the process of earning something and the process of receiving something. For example, an employee earns their money by working a certain number of hours per week, not by cashing their check at a bank, but cashing their check is an essential part of receiving their money. Our repentance is not we do to earn our salvation, but it is part of what it means to receive our salvation. Our salvation is from sin, which is disobedience to God's law, so part of being saved from disobedience is turning from our disobedience to back to obedience to God, which is repentance.

A.) A Christian man is driving, sees an attractive woman, has a lustful thought, and as a result of the distraction he gets into an accident a dies.

B.) A Christian man is driving, sees an attractive woman, has a lustful thought, and as a result of the distraction he gets into an accident a dies, but he repents a split second before he dies.

If both men have their names written in the book of life, then both are saved.

No. Names can be blotted out the book of life. Sin has always been separation between God and man since the very beginning. Also, God is the giver and taker of life. If a believer or unbeliever commits sin and dies in that sin, they are condemned by God because they cannot seek God's mercy after they are dead (And it was God who was the One who took their life). For example: Ananais and Sapphira were not saved. For great fear and not joy (that they were in Heaven) had fell upon the church concerning their deaths.

Generally faithful Christians are not in fear of their physical life because they know that they can go to be with their Savior. For the believer, death is victory and not fear. In fact, Jesus says fear not the one who can kill the body but fear the one who can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna (i.e. the Lake of Fire).

Upvote 0

keltoi

Jan 12, 2007
✟9,317.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Are eggs required to make an omelet?
Does a sailboat require wind to move?
Can a gasoline engine run without gasoline?

I rest my case.....
In all 3 cases the answer is no. Vegans eat omelets yet do not use eggs. Sailboats usually have an engine in case of emergency, and a gasoline engine can run on LPG.

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In all 3 cases the answer is no. Vegans eat omelets yet do not use eggs. Sailboats usually have an engine in case of emergency, and a gasoline engine can run on LPG.

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine??

So, based on your reply, you don't believe that repentance is required for salvation???

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If people are not broken up about their sin and desire forgiveness of their sins with God and they do not turn from those sins, then how are they different from the world? A belief on Jesus? Is that it? Let me ask you. Can a servant disobey his king and rebel against him still be within his good graces? Do you honestly think God wants servants who prefer their sin over Him? That is what many (not all) people are saying here. They want their sin and they want God, too. They want the good life here and the good life in the afterlife, too. They want all the good and none of the bad. There is no owning up to one's sins or admitting that one is really wrong. Just believe. You can die in unrepentant sin. You can have a rebellious heart towards God and be His good buddy in Heaven. Sorry, that is not going to happen. A believer has to work out their salvation with fear and trembling. Why all the trembling if the word "fear" does not mean "fear?

Jesus said, fear the one who can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna.
Jesus said repent or perish.
Jesus was not talking about physical death.
Everyone dies physically.
Jesus was talking about perishing spiritually.

Upvote 0

keltoi

Jan 12, 2007
✟9,317.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine??
Sarcasm will get you no where.
So, based on your reply, you don't believe that repentance is required for salvation???
How do you come to that conclusion? The problem here is you made a statement that was supposed to back your beliefs up but your statement was factually incorrect and anyone with a modicum of knowledge would see this easily. What you have done is tell people something based on flawed knowledge.
Not only do I believe repentance is required for salvation I believe that telling people the truth also helps others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says,

2 Peter 3:9 - "God is not willing for men to perish but wants all to come to repentance." The alternative to not repenting is perishing (cf. Luke 13:3 and Luke 13:5).

In Matthew 3:2 - John the Baptist says, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!"

In Acts 2:38 - Within the first gospel sermon, Peter preached, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you for the remission of sins..."

Acts 17:30 says, "God commands all men everywhere to repent."
Why? Proverbs 28:13 says, "he that confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy."
Why is God making this a Command? Jesus says if you love me, keep my Commandments (John 14:15).

In 2 Corinthians 7:10, Paul says, "For godly sorrow works repentance to salvation not to be regretted: but the sorrow of the world works death."

The Ninevites escaped the Wrath of God by their repentance (Jonah 3:6-10, cf. Matthew 12:41). If you were to read both Jonah 3 and Matthew 12:41, you would see that repentance is not only crying out to God for forgiveness but also involves turning from one's wicked ways, too. Jeremiah 25:4-5 confirms this. For it says - "Repent now everyone of his evil way and his evil doing..." (cf. Ezekiel 18:30; 2 Kings 17:13).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkiz
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There a difference between the process of earning something and the process of receiving something.
Repentance is NOT earning something. It is TURNING from darkness to light, from sins and idols to Christ. It is a 180 degree turn from being a murderer and persecutor of Christians to becoming a servant of Christ and a preacher of the Gospel within days (study Acts 9). It is a sad commentary on the days in which we live that Christians are not clear about repentance.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Thankyou Jason, I appreciate your interest in seeing things expressed clearly and in a non-contradictory and biblical manner, I am not a theologian, so maybe what I said could have been articulated better. You are correct.

And I am glad to be able to clarify further.

I think it is part of the the out-working of our Salvation. Faith and Repentance are (to use an analogy from CS Lewis in Mere Christianity) like the two blades in a pair of scissors, which is more necessary?

Repentance is turning to and returning to God the Father through Christ. Jesus the Son leads us home, he seeks out his lost sheep, and Jesus searches for and finds the lost, as scripture tells us :

The Son of Man came to seek and save that which was lost. Luke 19:10

So repentance does not initiate salvation it is not a case of us initiating a movement back to God before hearing the Gospel. Nevertheless we know by searching the Scriptures, or attending a Church were the Gospel is preached what steps God has already taken towards us firstly and supremely in sending his dear Son to die on the Cross, and in raising Him from the dead. Then in sending the Holy Spirit.

So again scripture tells us:

For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:6-8

Who is it that lays down his life and seeks out the lost sheep, I can only understand it to be Jesus the Good Shepherd.

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." Jesus speaking in John 10:11

I really think its best to not separate Faith and Repentance. It seems to me we must Repent towards Someone, and together Scripture, the ministry of the Holy Spirit and Faith orient us towards God. Whereas just telling someone not instructed in Biblical truth, that they must 'Repent!' doesn't enable them to know the Way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Thankyou Jason, I appreciate your interest in seeing things expressed clearly and in a non-contradictory and biblical manner, I am not a theologian, so maybe what I said could have been articulated better, but it is sometimes what comes of being asked the question in a certain way.

And I am glad to be able to clarify further.

It is a part of the out-working of our salvation.

Repentance is turning to and returning to God the Father through Christ. Jesus the Son leads us home, he seeks out his lost sheep, and Jesus searches for and finds the lost, as scripture tells us :

The Son of Man came to seek and save the lost. Luke 19:10

So repentance does not initiate salvation it is not a case of us initiating a movement back to God before hearing in the Gospel. Nevertheless we know by searching the Scriptures, or attending a Church were the Gospel is preached what steps God has already taken towards us firstly and supremely in sending his dear Son to die on the Cross, and in raising Him from the dead.

So again scripture tells us:

For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:6-8

Who is it that lays down his life and seeks out the lost sheep, I can only understand it to be the Jesus the Good Shepherd.

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." Jesus speaking in John 10:11

I really think its best to not separate Faith and Repentance. It seems to me we must Repent towards Someone, and together Scripture, the ministry of the Holy Spirit and Faith orient us towards God. Whereas just telling someone not instructed in Biblical truth, that they must 'Repent!' doesn't enable them to know the Way.

Is it
a. Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
OR
b. The Son of Man came to seek and save the lost.

There exists actually a subtle difference in the meaning right there in a few words.
Something to ponder, from a calvinist point of view versus an arminian pov.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
So does Christ come to seek and save all, every single person ever born, or just the 'lost sheep'?
Does this mean Christ fails in some measure to save some, if HE seeks that which He will never save, since not all will believe.
Or does Christ find everyone the Father has given to Christ, predestined to be of the saved.

Are there any lost sheep of Christ who will never be saved?
Are all people His lost sheep or just the ones foreknown by the Father?
Who does Christ really come to save from their sins?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
a. Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
OR

There exists actually a subtle difference in the meaning right there in a few words.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23

Is anyone not lost?

The question of this thread seems to be

is Repentance necessary?

"Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent Acts 17:30

My answer then is: Yes - Repentance is necessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Is anyone not lost?
Who are the lost Christ was speaking about?
Matthew 15:24
He answered, “I was commissioned by God and sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
Is this a lie? He was only sent to them, that is to save His people from their sins.
Who are His people?

Lets read this verse in context of what Christ speaks of.

Matthew 18:11
[For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost.]

Matthew 18:12
[ Ninety-nine Plus One ] “What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them gets lost, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountain and go in search of the one that is lost?
Matthew 18:13
And if it turns out that he finds it, I assure you and most solemnly say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that did not get lost.

Matthew 18:14
So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones be lost.

Who are 'these little ones' Christ references here in relation verse 11?
They are the lost sheep of Christ, the ones He came to save, and every single one He came for is redeemed and will not go to hell.

John 10, for whom did Christ die?

11 I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His [own] life for the sheep.12 But the hired man [who merely serves for wages], who is neither the shepherd nor the owner of the sheep, when he sees the wolf coming, deserts the flock and runs away; and the wolf snatches the sheep and scatters them.13 The man runs because he is a hired hand [who serves only for wages] and is not concerned about the [safety of the] sheep.14 I am the Good Shepherd, and I know[without any doubt those who are] My own and My own know Me [and have a deep, personal relationship with Me]—15 even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father—and I lay down My [very own] life [sacrificing it] for the benefit of the sheep.

Christ says He knows who are His sheep that He dies for, and since He knows them, then His sheep whom He dies for, they will also know Him.
God's will is that none of these little ones be lost, so then Christ saves every single one of them.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Its worth pointing out that in each instance you are speaking of an exception. There are no exceptions from repentance. We cannot return to God through Christ without returning. It would hardly need saying except for people trying to be very clever about it.

Reactions: Patmos
Upvote 0

Patmos

Mar 11, 2016
New York
✟893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it
OR

Something to ponder, from a calvinist point of view versus an arminian pov.

ESV http://www.esvbible.org/Luke+19:10/ has
For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

KJV https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Luke-19-10/ has
For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.”

So nothing to ponder re Calv/Arm. But if on in not interested in bait posts one could ponder ESV/KJV.

Upvote 0