South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is something that I have just wondered about. I know and believe that we are saved by faith. If we are to repent as well, would that mean that repentance is a work or that God only saves once we repent? I believe that we are saved by faith because of His grace. Would repentance be required to be saved? In other words, is repentance required for salvation or is it just faith and then later repentance? In your opinion, is repentance being required for salvation biblical or is that a work that is added to faith?

jacksknight

Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is something that I have just wondered about. I know and believe that we are saved by faith. If we are to repent as well, would that mean that repentance is a work or that God only saves once we repent? I believe that we are saved by faith because of His grace. Would repentance be required to be saved? In other words, is repentance required for salvation or is it just faith and then later repentance? In your opinion, is repentance being required for salvation biblical or is that a work that is added to faith?

Personally i think the Bible makes it very clear that we are saved through faith by the grace of Jesus Christ.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Repentance is not required, however after you commit to Christ then you should repent of your sins. By repenting you are acknowledging your sins and saying you will not do those things anymore.

When Jesus taught people how to pray..

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

He never even mentions sin. Of course if you are trying to follow Jesus then you should do you best not to sin.

Hope this help!

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When the Bible says we are not saved of works it is talking about the works of the Law of Moses or man directed works. This evident if you were to look at verses 11-16 (Ephesians 2:11-16) and it is evident if you were to look at Romans and Galatians where the variation of the word "circumcision" appears several times (Which was mentioned so as to address the heresy of trying to be circumcised so as to be saved). I believe the saint today is to obey the Commands only in the New Testament (or New Covenant). But does this mean I believe in "Man Directed Works Salvationism"? No. See my "Side Note" below within this post.

Anyways, the Scriptures say the Law has changed (Hebrews 7:12). So when Paul says, "you are not under the law, but under grace.", he was talking about the Old Law and not the New Law. For if one broke the Old Law, they could be put to death instead of going to Christ and seeking forgiveness by confessing their sins to Him under the New Covenant so as to be forgiven of sin. "For if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).

For God is not against His believers obeying Him; And God does not consider those who obey Him out of fear in being punished by the Lord in the after-life to be a wrong thing, either. "For the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Proverbs 9:10). "Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding." (Job 28:28, - Cross reference with James 3:13). "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12). Also, the body of believers throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria walked in fear of the Lord (Acts 9:31).

But in Eternal Security, there is no reason to fear God.
One can have their cake and eat it, too.
For example: In the most extreme version of Eternal Security, they could say something like,

"Keep on sinning boy, there is no need to worry, you have no control over your body of sin. Therefore, God is not going to blame you. You also got your guaranteed ticket to enter through the gates of Heaven because of your belief on Jesus, too. In fact, nobody's perfect, everybody sins, so just keep on doing the sins that you really like to do. God has forgiven you past, present, and future."​

Now, some here may object to the Eternal Security statement above (As they most definitely should); And that is a good thing. In fact, there are Eternal Security Proponents who actually do think they love God and that they are truly serving Him and that they will sin less and less in this life as a part of the Sanctification Process. But will they ever stop sinning in this life? Never. That's the problem. For you can still have your sin and also serve God with even this version of Eternal Security (Which is still wrong). For God cannot agree with saving someone who wants to continue to remain in their evil because that would mean He would have to agree with their willful choice to do evil at some point in the future (Which is not possible because God is good and God is Holy and righteous and there is no darkness within Him).

Sin is merely transgression of the Law (1 John 3:4). So that means, there is some kind of Law of God in existence that believers can still break today.

In fact, today, under the New Covenant, there is:

(a) The Law of Christ (Galatians 6:2).
(b) The Law of Liberty (James 1:25) (James 2:12).
(c) The Royal Law (James 2:8).
(d) The Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:2).​

None of these laws were a part of the Old Covenant.
They are laws that are a part of the New Covenant (i.e. the New Testament).

I mean, do you not know that one of the Commandments in the New Testament tells us this?

"Believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ,." (1 John 3:23).

Here is the entire verse:

"And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment" (1 John 3:23).​

Are you not justified by keeping the Law or Commandment that says,
"Believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ,"?

Are you not justified by keeping this Law or Commandment?
In other words, this means you are under some kind of Law.
Paul was not talking about all Law whatsoever (or the Commands given to us in the New Testament). For Jesus says, "Why do you call me Lord, Lord, and do not the things that I say?" (Luke 6:46). To put it to you another way, God is not lawless; And neither are God's people lawless, either.

Side Note:

Now your probably thinking I probably believe in Man Directed Works Salvationism at this point. But that is not what I believe.

For who ultimately does the "good work" in a believer's life?

Is it God?
Or is it the believer?

Well, Scripture tells us that God (Christ) is the One who ultimately does the work within a believer.

Philippians 1:6
Philippians 1:11
Philippians 2:13
Philippians 4:13
1 Corinthians 15:10
Hebrews 12:1-2
Hebrews 13:21
Isaiah 26:12
1 John 4:12
Galatians 5:22-24 (cf. Matthew 7:16-18, Matthew 19:17)
John 15:5
Ezekiel 36:26-27

For that is why the 24 elders cast their crowns down before Jesus (Revelation 4:10). For the crowns they received for their good work was all the result of Christ working in them.

Yeah, but doesn't a believer do the work, too? Now, yes, it is true; A believer is created unto Christ Jesus for good works (Ephesians 2:10); And a believer is indeed held accountable by their "good works" here upon this Earth at a Judgment. But we must also realize that true believers are not ultimately doing these "good works" alone or of their own power, though. For in 1 Corinthians 15:10 Paul said that he labored more than all of his brethren, yet he said it was not him that labored but it was the grace of God that was within him. So true believer's are just choosing to allow God's "good work" to flow within them or not.

So no. I do not believe in Works Salvationism. I believe if someone truly has accepted the LORD and Christ lives within them, then good fruit (And not bad fruit) will be evident in their life to prove that the One who is salvation itself abides within them (1 John 5:12).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In fact, Jesus, James, and John stressed in how one would act if they are truly a part of God's Kingdom or if they have a truly genuine faith. We are not under the Law (i.e. the Law of Moses) (Romans 6:14) because it brought death in the fact that you could be killed physically (Numbers 15:32-36). But we are under grace (Romans 6:14). Meaning if you break God's laws (i.e. the Commands in the New Testament), you now have an advocate or high priest (Jesus Christ) so as to confess to so as to overcome such a sin and give glory to God (Instead of being killed) (1 John 2:1) (Hebrews 4:14-16). However, confessing sin is not a magic rabbit's foot for the believer to make excuses so as to continue in sin. Confession or repentance must be done with a Godly sorrow (2 Corinthians 7:10). For Confession is meant to lead us into holiness and closer to God and to overcome sin (Romans 6:14) (Galatians 5:24) (1 Peter 4:1) (Psalm 119:11) (John 5:14) (John 8:11) (Matthew 5:48). For if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). This is followed by forsaking sin by walking in the light as He is in the light so that the blood of Jesus cleanses you of all sin (1 John 1:6-7) (c.f. 1 John 2:3-4). For he that confesses and forsakes his sin shall have mercy (Proverbs 28:13).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Anyways, to answer your question: Is repentance required for salvation?

Jesus says in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. Jesus says, "except you repent, you shall all likewise perish." (Luke 13:3); And God commands all men everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30). For God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9). So yes, repentance is a requirement for salvation.

What is repentance?

Repentance involves a cry unto God for the forgiveness of your sins with the intention that you will not sin again (and or that you will forsake your sin). Jesus defines repentance for us by pointing us to Jonah 3:6-10 from his words in Matthew 12:41.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The word "repent" can also just exclusively mean a prayer unto God for the forgiveness of a specific transgression, too (with that person turning away from that evil). For Peter told Simon the Sorcerer to repent of his wickedness by way of prayer (Acts 8:22).

Another word for "repent" in the sense of crying out unto God is called the "Sinner's Prayer." The Sinner's Prayer is a prayer towards God admitting that you are a sinner who is in need of His forgiveness and or salvation. While the Sinner's Prayer applies to both the new believer (who comes to the faith for the first time) and or the seasoned believer (who may stumble on occasion), here are verses that just support the Sinner's Prayer for the new believer.

#1. Romans 10:13 (cross reference with Joel 2:12-13 and Joel 2:32).

#2. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#3. Luke 18:9-14 (it is not said whether the Tax Collector is a new convert or a seasoned believer). The point of the parable is that the Tax Collector was "humble."; And we know Scripture says elsewhere that, "God gives grace to the humble." (James 4:6).

#4. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"​

Side Note 1:
Oh, and as for the seasoned believer and the Sinner's Prayer:
Well, John tells believers to confess their sins so as to be forgiven of their sin - 1 John 1:9.

Side Note 2:
Please also take note that I believe in rare cases a person can be initially saved by merely believing Jesus Christ as their Savior (John 1:12-13). However, I believe that in time, if the believer has the capacity to do so, they will come to accept those verses in the Bible that teaches them that they will also call upon the Lord to save them from their sinful condition. In other words, it is sort of like the topic of the Trinity (Which is a true teaching in the Bible). A person does not need to know about the Trinity in order to be initially saved. But in time, when they come to later learn of the Trinity, they cannot reject such a truth (after it is was revealed to them), otherwise they would be denying the very God as described in the Holy Scriptures. However, most people are aware "repentance" in the plan of salvation, so most people are without excuse when it comes to "repentance."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The kind of repentance that leads to salvation includes acknowledging that God has authority over your life (otherwise he's not really God to you), that you agree with God's definitions of what are sins and what are not (it's God who defines them, the one to whom you must answer for your deeds), and the genuine intent to no longer sin. Without the genuine intent to stop sinning, a person is at least partially rejecting God as his Lord.

In general, a person's faith is dead if he believes that he can continue sinning after receiving the knowledge of the truth about God and salvation. Such a faith cannot save him.

To ask to what degree must a person accept God as his Lord and to what degree must he intend to stop sinning is a question that indicates he still has reservations of God being GOD or his Lord. Remember the first and greatest commandment (See Matthew 22:37-38) to Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. Desiring the gift of salvation without having to be obedient is part of a spiritual journey, but not the spiritual journey of someone who is definitely saved.

Upvote 0

keltoi

Jan 12, 2007
✟9,317.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
To be saved we are required to acknowledge and accept Christ and Saviour and Lord and this means changing our life from our old ways to Christ's ways. We do need to acknowledge that we were lost without Christ because our old ways were sinful and against God. If we acknowledge these things and are Christian don't we repent for them? It seems to me that yes we are required to because if we go on living thinking our old ways were ok and we don;t have to repent for them then we are basically just sitting on a fence between Christ and our old ways.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The word "repent" can also just exclusively mean a prayer unto God for forgiveness, too. For Peter told Simon the Sorcerer to repent of his wickedness by way of prayer (Acts 8:22).

Another word for "repent" in the sense of crying out unto God is called the "Sinner's Prayer." The Sinner's Prayer is a prayer towards God admitting that you are a sinner who is in need of His forgiveness and or salvation. While the Sinner's Prayer applies to both the new believer (who comes to the faith for the first time) and or the seasoned believer (who may stumble on occasion), here are verses that just support the Sinner's Prayer for the new believer.

#1. Romans 10:13 (cross reference with Joel 2:12-13 and Joel 2:32).

#2. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#3. Luke 18:9-14 (it is not said whether the Tax Collector is a new convert or a seasoned believer). The point of the parable is that the Tax Collector was "humble."; And we know Scripture says elsewhere that, "God gives grace to the humble." (James 4:6).

#4. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"​

Side Note 1:
Oh, and as for the seasoned believer and the Sinner's Prayer:
Well, John tells believers to confess their sins so as to be forgiven of their sin - 1 John 1:9.

Side Note 2:
Please also take note that I believe in rare cases a person can be initially saved by merely believing Jesus Christ as their Savior (John 1:12-13). However, I believe that in time, if the believer has the capacity to do so, they will come to accept those verses in the Bible that teaches them that they will also call upon the Lord to save them from their sinful condition. In other words, it is sort of like the topic of the Trinity (Which is a true teaching in the Bible). A person does not need to know about the Trinity in order to be initially saved. But in time, when they come to later learn of the Trinity, they cannot reject such a truth (after it is was revealed to them), otherwise they would be denying the very God as described in the Holy Scriptures. However, most people are aware "repentance" in the plan of salvation, so most people are without excuse when it comes to "repentance."

I want to clarify what I mean by the word "repent" ALSO having the meaning of it being a prayer (exclusively): Well, this prayer is with the intent of turning away from a specific evil or sin that one has done (Instead of "repent" meaning a general admitance that you are a sinner in need of salvation - with one turning from ALL one's sins - See Matthew 12:41 cf. John 3:6-10). But in the case where "repent" it primarily used as a form of prayer exclusively: It is a prayer whereby one asks for forgiveness for a specific transgression (Whereby obviously) the person will turn away from doing such doing such a specific sin or evil again. For in the case with Simon the Sorcerer, obviously if he repented to God or cried out to forgiveness to Him so as to be forgiven of his sin of trying to pay money for the gifts of the Spirit, he would not want to do such a sin again because it is exceptionally wrong to God (See Acts 8:22).

A person that says they are sorry to God for their sin and yet they have not stopped sinning is not true repentance or a prayer that was done with a Godly sorrow over their sin (2 Corinthians 7:10). In fact, a believer is to examine themselves on whether or not Christ lives within them unless they be reprobate (2 Corinthians 13:5).

Side Note:

Anyways, I updated Post #6 (so as to be more clear on this point).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

To believe in Jesus Christ IS to repent of your unbelief.

John 16:7-9

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they do not believe in Me"

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To believe in Jesus Christ IS to repent of your unbelief.

John 16:7-9

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they do not believe in Me"

No, Jesus definied repentance for us by pointing us to Jonah 3:6-10 in Matthew 12:41. For Jesus essentially said the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. In Jonah chapter 3 we learn that the King of the Ninevites had said to the people to cry out to God and to turn from their evil and wicked ways. We then learn that God had seen that they had turned from their wicked and evil ways, too. So it was not an empty profession of paying lip service. They actually were truly sorry over their sins by making good on their prayer towards God in turning from their evil ways.

Jesus said repent or you will perish.

Also, as for the false belief alone type salvation: Well, the Bible says, even the demons believe and tremble.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
No, Jesus definied repentance for us by pointing us to Jonah 3:6-10 in Matthew 12:41. For Jesus essentially said the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. In Jonah chapter 3 we learn that the King of the Ninevites had said to the people to cry out to God and to turn from their evil and wicked ways. We then learn that God had seen that they had turned from their wicked and evil ways, too. So it was not an empty profession of paying lip service. They actually were truly sorry over their sins by making good on their prayer towards God in turning from their evil ways.

Jesus said repent or you will perish.

Also, as for the false belief alone type salvation: Well, the Bible says, even the demons believe and tremble.

The change of mind from unbelief to belief IS our repentance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
According to the verse I showed you it is.

So you are just ignoring Matthew 12:41 and Jonah 3:6-10 then?
If you are not ignoring them, then please explain why you think they do not apply.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Our salvation is from sin, which involves being made to turn from our sin and being made to be like Christ to no longer sin, so repentance is not something that we do in order to be saved, but rather it is part of what salvation is, as we continue to work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you're just ignoring John 16:7-9 then?

Not at all. Where does it say that John 16:7-9 deals with repentance? It doesn't. The verses I showed you deal with repentance which is naturally dealing with a part of believing Christ or God. For the Ninevites were unbelievers and then became believers by crying out unto God and in turning from their evil and wicked ways. The fact that you are not dealing with those verses shows me you are only seeing what you want to see.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our salvation is from sin, which involves being made to turn from our sin and being made to be like Christ to no longer sin, so repentance is not something that we do in order to be saved, but rather it is part of what salvation is, as we continue to work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).

That sounds contradictory. You say on one hand that repentance is not for salvation and then on the other hand you say that it is for working out our salvation with fear and trembling.

Upvote 0