Is Mary worthy of worship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jayswife29 said:
Well, although I never look at Mary like she won the lottery how do you think I should treat her cbk? Should I pray to her? Call her mother? Deify her?
Of course not, you know me better than that, therefore, I will take that these as leading questions to prompt my next points. ;)

IF some pray to her, then this is between them and God. As such, WE should not do a complete 180 degree turn and disregard anything that we can learn from this blessed woman; for she was blessed, indeed!

Mary was blessed for a reason beyond a random choice. God entrusted both her and Joseph to raise this child to walk in step with God's laws. Not just the black and white, Jewish law, but the forgotten laws of love. It was a great trust which I am thankful didn't fall upon my family or my family's family.

Regard her as you would Moses, Elijah, Isaiah, Paul, Peter, and the others. Mary most certainly was NOT a prostitute of the Holy Spirit, as some seem to think; she was chosen for reasons far beyond what I could accomplish.

Upvote 0

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
no, shes not.

She was simply human, as is all of us.

The only way to the father is through Jesus' spirit. Without it, our communcation to God is unheard. Mary is up chillin in heaven worhsiping God without a single care of this world, along with the other priests. Worship the creator, not the creation, and mary was still indeed the creation.

Upvote 0

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
cbk said:
As I have said, we should not worship her..... But, she is worthy of as much respect as one would give to Moses, Peter, Paul, and John.
I still disagree.... we should not have partiallity with people...

But Moses peter paul and john wrote parts of the bible, that i beleive causes me to have more respect to them than mary, but thats just my opinion.

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
jayswife29 said:
Well, although I never look at Mary like she won the lottery how do you think I should treat her cbk? Should I pray to her?

You can ask her to pray for you... she will!

jayswife29 said:
Call her mother?

Yes. Jesus gave her to us on the cross. He said, "Behold your Mother" he was talking to all of us.

jayswife29 said:
Deify her?

No, we are worship God and God alone.

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
xtxArchxAngelxtx said:
...but Moses peter paul and john wrote parts of the bible, that i beleive causes me to have more respect to them than mary, but thats just my opinion.

Could you look Christ in His face and say that about His mother?

Upvote 0

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
JeffreyLloyd said:
Could you look Christ in His face and say that about His mother?
Yes, I can.

And you can't ask mary to pray for you, sorry.... I would like scripture on that, cause I am pretty sure that Jesus said that he was the truth the way and the life and that NO ONE gets the FATHER except through me (JESUS).

Mary was human... she was no more divin than you and me. She is up in heaven worshiping God just like we will be. She has no special connection to earth that causes her to hear prayers. She was a great and blessed women, but by no means should she be prayed to or worshiped, and it's just pure bad doctrine to think that someone other than God can hear your prayers, or have someone past away pray for you, because once your in heaven, you have no concern of the world past.

Upvote 0
S

Scorpio

Hail Mary, full of grace.
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

catholic - holy rosary

What or where is the biblical basis for asking Mary or other saint to pray for us? Obviously there must be something biblical or catholics wouldn't do this, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dnich163

dnich163
Mar 8, 2002
Glasgow, Scotland
Visit site
✟743.00
Faith
Catholic
Matthew J. Maurer said:
I see some of my brethren worship Mary and some even Michael the Archangel. But I ask you why their not GOD?
For me this goes back to the importance of Jesus being God.
In effect God was being carried in the womb of Mary...the vessel.
If she as a person was important or special in the eyes of God, and the fact that she said yes to God(which most of us do) and carried it through (which most of us don't) puts her up there with the tops don't you think.

I feel that Mary is worthy of veneration for this work.

David

Upvote 0

dnich163

dnich163
Mar 8, 2002
Glasgow, Scotland
Visit site
✟743.00
Faith
Catholic
kimber1 said:
exactly david, and if anyone of you would care to do some research you can see the biblical basis behind the Hail Mary, that is if you care to look it up...
Nice one Kim...like the pic of the boys by the way..and you of course,

and also with you

David

Upvote 0
xtxArchxAngelxtx said:
I still disagree.... we should not have partiallity with people...

But Moses peter paul and john wrote parts of the bible, that i beleive causes me to have more respect to them than mary, but thats just my opinion.
You have more respect for these individuals because they have written books that have been assembled into the Bible you read? Or is it because the walked by faith?

You have more respect for those who ran and hid while Christ was being crucified over the one who was standing at his feet while you gave up his last breath?

You have stated in your opening that WE SHOULD NOT HAVE PARTIALLITY with people, but then conclude that you have more respect for Moses, Peter, Paul, and John because they wrote books that are in the Bible? So, which is it? :scratch:

Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
aww well thanks david :)

and since i'm feeling charitable today i'll even post so noone has to do the research themselves ;)

in Luke 1 28 you see the angels greeting to Mary- and coming to her he said, "Hail favored one! the Lord is with you"
in Luke 1:30 you see where the angel says Mary has found favor with God- Then the angel said to her "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God"
(Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee)

in Luke 1:42 you see Elizabeth saying to her after being filled with the Holy Spirit-- cried out in a loud voice and said "Most blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb"
(blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus)

do you see where i'm going with this? ;)

as far as praying to Saints and Mary is concerned, the Bible is full of examples of bretheren praying for other bretheren
look at Ephesians 6:18 with all prayer and suplication, pray at every opportunity in the Spirit. to that end, be watchful with all perseverance and supplication for all the holy ones (who do you think the holy ones are?)
also Revelation 5:8.....each of teh elders held a harp and gold bowl filled with incense, which are the prayers of the holy ones (again you see holy ones)

see how biblical it really is when you look into it :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TScott

Curmudgeon
Apr 19, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟11,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
Scorpio said:
Hail Mary, full of grace.
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

catholic - holy rosary

What or where is the biblical basis for asking Mary or other saint to pray for us? Obviously there must be something biblical or catholics wouldn't do this, right?
I thought this was taught in Sunday School. The Hail Mary is derived from, you know when the angel tells Mary that she will become the mother of Jesus: And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. It is also mentioned in detail closer to the prayer in the Protoevangelium of James in which the Angel tells Mary: Hail, thou who hast received grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women!

Upvote 0
kimber' ;
it was in the news not too long ago, maybe a year or two. about the push from the chuch memebers to get mary put on a coredemtive basis with Jesus. It was shot down by the pope i think.
as to praying to saints, we believe praying to saints is praying to demons. demons will masquerade themselfs as dead people in seances, and we believe that they will masquerade themselfs as dead saints if you pray to dead saints. No one believes that we should pray to each other, i don't think . so in my opinion, we shouldn't pray to them after they die either. I do beleive they are a great cloud of witnesses and are aware of what's going on down here. although im not certain about that. I think it s much safer to stick to praying to god . I believe praying to dead saints can be dangerous, could lead you into the occult.

Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
it was in the news not too long ago, maybe a year or two. about the push from the chuch memebers to get mary put on a coredemtive basis with Jesus. It was shot down by the pope i think.
ah okay that would have been before i converted so maybe one of my more learned bretheren can comment on that part. :)

I believe praying to dead saints can be dangerous, could lead you into the occult.
of course you know i'm going to disagree with this :) but i'll jsut quote Hebrews 12;1 therefore since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us.
to me 'ridding ourselves' could mean praying to them, unburdening our souls, letting them know our concerns but also note in verse 2 while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus.
see, we as Catholics DO understand who the worthy one is. we realize that Jesus is the prime example to live our lives by but at the same time we feel praying to these Saints, these other examples, these martyrs if you will helps to unburden us so to speak.

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2004
✟119.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Okay let me just start out by saying that I by no means was trying to start a war here. I already got 2 private messages from the mods been labled twice by some for being a troll. So I guess that as long as we talk about things we all agree on then I won't be labled a troll and won't have Mods saying "I'll be watching this thread closely" Watch this thread all you want. I had a question and some of you answered that. There is no such thing as a dumb question my mother once said when I was young. I have been corrected many of the Catholics call it devotion! Well in the Thesaurus devotion falls under worship? Many cry out to Mary and ask her to pray for them...? Why? She's not gonna help you the only one that will help you in your time of need is Jesus/GOD that's it. Again if we Christians can't talk about our differences then we are all doomed for ignorance!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.