AsPatat

Dec 30, 2015
South Africa
✟7,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious as to why you want to "convince" your father that Jesus is a good role model when you already know that he's an atheist?
I think it is great that you are conversing with your father anyway.

Apparently, by worldly standards, a case can be made against Jesus as a role model. As seen in previous posts, He did some things that might not be consistent with the values of many people today. He also said and did things that were not consistent with the values of many people of his own time.

Be that as it may, I think He is the best role model for too many reasons to explain in this post, but here are a few stories that illustrate what He stood for and I admire Him for.

He saves the Disciples who are in fear of drowning (Luke 8:22-25). He stands up to the bloodthirsty mob that is going to stone the adulterous woman (John 7:53-8:11). He protects the disciples from the violent legion when He is taken in the Garden (John 18:8).

I hope that helps.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
He was for the most part, yeah...

S4TutLe.gif
Why is he flipping over a drumkit?

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whether you think Jesus was a good role model really depends on where you're coming from. For the atheist, who doesn't believe that Jesus is God, Jesus would be a horrible role model because in their eyes He was a pathological liar, a lunatic, and/or a hypocrite. For the believer, Jesus was a good role model, teaching us the ways of the Kingdom. Given that, I rather doubt the OP and his father will get anywhere.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Whether you think Jesus was a good role model really depends on where you're coming from. For the atheist, who doesn't believe that Jesus is God, Jesus would be a horrible role model because in their eyes He was a pathological liar, a lunatic, and/or a hypocrite....
Not necessarily.
He came up in a culture that was thick with gods and the supernatural. It was simply the water he swam in. No blame for that.

Reactions: Locutus
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not necessarily.
He came up in a culture that was thick with gods and the supernatural. It was simply the water he swam in. No blame for that.
Well, assuming He was God, He was a good role model because that's what He taught of Himself. If He was not God, he was not a good role model because He was delusional and/or lying.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well, assuming He was God, He was a good role model because that's what He taught of Himself. If He was not God, he was not a good role model because He was delusional and/or lying.
Like I already said:
You dont get blame for being born into the culture.
God/gods/etc was how the 'world' worked.
No blame for your situation.

Now, if he was really lying. Thats a different story.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like I already said:
You dont get blame for being born into the culture.
God/gods/etc was how the 'world' worked.
No blame for your situation.

Now, if he was really lying. Thats a different story.
Yes I read what you said. We simply disagree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟440,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think it is great that you are conversing with your father anyway.

Apparently, by worldly standards, a case can be made against Jesus as a role model. As seen in previous posts, He did some things that might not be consistent with the values of many people today. He also said and did things that were not consistent with the values of many people of his own time.

Be that as it may, I think He is the best role model for too many reasons to explain in this post, but here are a few stories that illustrate what He stood for and I admire Him for.

He saves the Disciples who are in fear of drowning (Luke 8:22-25). He stands up to the bloodthirsty mob that is going to stone the adulterous woman (John 7:53-8:11). He protects the disciples from the violent legion when He is taken in the Garden (John 18:8).

I hope that helps.

I think you quoted the wrong poster.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟253,567.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Jesus was on a mission, and there needs be recognition of the apostles' role modelling and instruction to commoners like in Corinthians, when you are single, you must serve God, when you marry, you serve your spouse, and together honour God.

Jesus was perfect, compassionate, just, merciful, wise, loving...

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Luke 10:38-42 shows me how Jesus did not only want to use women to serve Him. He even stood up for Mary who stayed with Jesus instead of just being busy serving Him while He was their guest.

Jesus wants personal sharing with us, more than to only use us. So, this is a good love role model example, I think. We should not only use people, but love each and every one personally. Jesus was personal with people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Luke 10:38-42 shows me how Jesus did not only want to use women to serve Him. He even stood up for Mary who stayed with Jesus instead of just being busy serving Him while He was their guest.

Jesus wants personal sharing with us, more than to only use us. So, this is a good love role model example, I think. We should not only use people, but love each and every one personally. Jesus was personal with people.
Right.
The gospels are full of excellent moral examples in the behavior of Jesus. This seems especially true, in the Bible, coming after we're inundated by "the law", so much of which seems rather heartless to me.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟250,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Jesus was on a mission, and there needs be recognition of the apostles' role modelling and instruction to commoners like in Corinthians, when you are single, you must serve God, when you marry, you serve your spouse, and together honour God.

Jesus was perfect, compassionate, just, merciful, wise, loving...
I think it is rather the other way around.

Christians want to see Jesus as a role model. There are some commonly agreed on attributes that such a role model should have... perfection, compassion, justice... and so Jesus is said to have all these.

From the available texts, it is not so clear cut.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟735,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
He was for the most part, yeah...

S4TutLe.gif

I often think that the episode involving the turning over of the money changers' tables is one of the more easily misunderstood ones in the Gospels. In particular it seems as though Jesus is flipping out and begins to whip people.

But there's several things happening here:

1) The grammar of the text. In some English translations where this is mentioned in John's Gospel (John 2:15) the article τε (te) is translated as "and", the primary function of the article is connective. Thus the issue in translation is whether the animals are in addition to, or a clarification of, the πάντας (pantas) which are driven out. Rendering the particle as "and" suggests that the animals are driven out in addition; one problem with this rendering is that since the text says "all" were driven out, rather than "them" as is indicated in some English translations. By rendering "pantas" as "them" it is an interpretative choice to say Jesus was driving the money changers out with a whip, just as much as rendering "te" as "and".

How these things are rendered into English changes the meaning significantly, here are several different translations:

"So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables." - NIV

"And having made a whip of cords, He drove out all from the temple, both sheep and oxen; and He poured out the coins of the money changers and overthrew the tables." - BLB

"And He made a scourge of cords, and drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen; and He poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables;" - NAB

"After making a whip out of cords, He drove everyone out of the temple complex with their sheep and oxen. He also poured out the money changers' coins and overturned the tables." - HCSB

"And when he had made, as it were, a scourge of little cords, he drove them all out of the temple, the sheep also and the oxen, and the money of the changers he poured out, and the tables he overthrew." - Douay-Rheims

2) The system going on here was one which was intentionally oppressive against the poor. As the name suggests the role of the money-changers was to change money, that is, to take Roman coins and exchange them for Temple coins. Since Roman coins bore sacrilegious images and phrases, they were considered unacceptable for use within the Temple grounds, and so had to be exchanged. That itself isn't a problem, the problem arises when the exchange rate amounted to little more than extortion. Further, notice animals are being kept on the Temple grounds, these animals are there for purchase so that they could be offered as sacrifice; the Torah has rigorous standards for what sorts of animals are acceptable for sacrifice and such unblemished animals were kept on the grounds. Again, not itself a problem, but if you are a peasant shepherd and you bring your own sheep, lamb, goat (etc) to offer as sacrifice and while your animal is acceptable the corrupt beaucracy at the Temple tell you that yours isn't good enough so you have to sell yours and buy another at completely unfair prices, it's not exactly a system in your favor. The entire system was being operated to scam the poor. It's this system of oppression that Jesus condemns, and is what is meant by saying they had turned a house of prayer into a den of thieves. By knocking over the money-changers' tables and driving the animals out Jesus, at least for one day, ensured that the faithful coming to do their religious duty at the Temple would be unhindered by that corruption.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟253,567.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Jesus on a mission is a role model to missionaries, his common followers are a model to us.

There is a long, winding road that led to common contemporary Christians, so like you may be, I am interested in studying church history, from Rome, to now.

Upvote 0

de1929

May 5, 2015
✟1,167.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Greetings friends.

Me and my dad were discussing this question the other night.
Me being a christian, and he being a atheist made it a interesting discussion.
I really wish to convince him that Jesus is a good role model, but we did not get out chance to finish. I am asking for inputs from you guys, so that I could be more prepared for the next time it comes up.
Everyone has their own perceptions, but the questions I have been asking myself are following:

-What is a role model? Do we need them or should we only listen to ourselves?

-What did Jesus stand for that can be admired by others?

-My dad claimed that Jesus did "some things" that werent consistent with today values.. What do you think of this? Of course, he did not give any concrete examples, so I do not know what he meant by saying so..

-People that have been inspired by Jesus. (Example: Martin Luther King jr. stood up against the majority in the USA such as Jesus stood up against the pharisees.) Can you think of anyone else?

-A story I showed my dad was the Parable of the Good Samaritan. I really think this is a good story that gives a good picture of who Jesus was. I am trying to find good stories like this one from the bible that shows how Jesus was tolerant, brave and a good role model. Could anyone recomend something?

Every answer is appreciated very much and I hope we can create a good discussion out of this :)

Have a nice day everyone. Best regards.

it depends on the context.

We believe JESUS never married on earth, so his teachings about being a parent is not available. But it does not means HE didn't have the knowledge. HE is GOD. HE knows everything.

That's why we have Holy Spirit to teach us in all things.

Upvote 0