Is Jesus a good role model?

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Even as a white toe-head kid, something about that portrait bothered me and it took decades before I found out why.

It was a product of 19th century German theologians who insisted that the MAIN reason for the virgin birth was so our Lord would not have one drop of Jewish blood in Him. (later used as justification for the WW2 Holocaust) I think it was the subtle anti-semitism behind the depiction.

Mary wasn't supposed to be Jewish?

What was her background then?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mary wasn't supposed to be Jewish?
What was her background then?
They took Mary as Jewish but since the Lord was entirely supernatural, He had no Jewish blood. (according to their theory) He was completely unrelated to Joseph, Mary, or anyone else.

That only makes sense if you come to the table with a presupposition that God hates the Jews.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Even as a white toe-head kid, something about that portrait bothered me and it took decades before I found out why.

It was a product of 19th century German theologians who insisted that the MAIN reason for the virgin birth was so our Lord would not have one drop of Jewish blood in Him. (later used as justification for the WW2 Holocaust) I think it was the subtle anti-semitism behind the depiction.

Subtle?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah - subtle. There is nothing overtly anti-Jewish in the portrait.

I am reminded of a Christmas carol by Alfred Burt called "Some Children See Him." The lyric says that some children see Him just like they are; white, black, oriental, etc. There is nothing inherently anti-Semitic there either; even though it makes no mention of Him being Jewish. The difference is that it was not written to deny His Jewish heritage, where that is EXACTLY the purpose of the portrait.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By the way, show me anywhere that he specifically advises that slaves should not be beaten. Not some fluffy comment about 'loving your neighbour', but a clear recommendation that we should stop beating the people we own! Just one will suffice.
I think Jesus knew His followers were sensible enough to realize that loving your neighbour (and your enemy) excluded beating people.

Upvote 0

Chris Tan

Feb 16, 2016
Singapore
✟15,342.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I really wish to convince him that Jesus is a good role model

Where in the Holy Bible does it teach a Christian that the Lord Jesus Christ came to be a role model? The Scriptures clearly and explicitly declares that Jesus Christ is God the Son. He came in the flesh for a specific purpose, "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins." (Matthew 1:21)

"For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth." (Romans 10:3,4)

If you want to witness to your father, testify to him that "unless he repents to God and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, he will surely perish", for that's the call of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Son of God did not come to be a role model for anyone, for it's IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to be like Him, IMPOSSIBLE.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where in the Holy Bible does it teach a Christian that the Lord Jesus Christ came to be a role model?
John 13:15 For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you

1 Corinthians 11:1 Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.

2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

1 Peter 2:21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,

Upvote 0

Chris Tan

Feb 16, 2016
Singapore
✟15,342.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
John 13:15 For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you

1 Corinthians 11:1 Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.

2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

1 Peter 2:21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,

My point to Jesusismyhero11 is, do not try to tell his unbelieving father to look to Christ as a "role model", for that's not how the Gospel of Jesus Christ is to be witnessed and testified. Rather, the Gospel call is, "testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." (Acts 20:21)

Some order of context is much appreciated.

Now, what you have quoted are from the epistles which the apostles were encouraging the believers who have come to faith in Christ and their walk with Christ. Note that, the epistles are never for an unbeliever's consumption but a believer. The apostles were not telling the believers that Christ is to be their "role model". They are admonishments to believers that if one is in Christ (born of the Spirit), they will have the fruits of the Spirit that's in Christ Jesus as they persevere to the end.

A "role model" is defined by the secular dictionary as "a person looked to by others as an example to be imitated". You see, "imitating Christ" without being in Him or born of the Spirit by the will of God, merely makes you an imposter or a counterfeit Christian, which we can see so abundantly today in the many forms of "Christianity", though there's only one kind of Christian in the eyes of God.

On the day of judgement, many who "imitated Christ" or used Him as a "role model" to be "Christians" will get a rude awakening, for the Lord of Glory declared, "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!" (Matthew 7:21-23)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
They took Mary as Jewish but since the Lord was entirely supernatural, He had no Jewish blood. (according to their theory) He was completely unrelated to Joseph, Mary, or anyone else.

That only makes sense if you come to the table with a presupposition that God hates the Jews.

Entirely supernatural? I thought the claim was that he was BOTH 'man and god' - a kind of hybrid, a demi-god?

And if not, can you please explain where his X chromosome would have come from?

Not to mention his mitochondria.........?

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wonder why Jesus would not have chosen a left-brained, artsy-fartsy guy to be a disciple who would have been more descriptive of how he actually behaved. Was Jesus mostly shy? Super smiley and talkative? Was He a touchy-huggy & snugly? We know He became very upset at the Pharisees, but his personality is not really explained or reflected well in the gospels.

Upvote 0