Alberta, Canada
✟8,916.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok.. so weird question. For the most part I strongly dislike Christian artists and Worship music.
I listen to ALOT of Euro Goth Metal ... some of which can be pretty dark. My pastor thinks its a little concerning due to other issues involved. But me personally, I don't think I see it as a problem. I mean I listen to sometimes. But given a proper choice, I bypass most Christian artist and Worship music all together. I am forced to listen to Worship music at work every day and have come to resent it.
Is there something wrong with this.... with me?

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,543.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
It sounds to me as though you don't like most Christian artists because you don't like the type of music that they play, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's unreasonable to expected people to like things just because they're "Christian".

When it comes to certain genres, some of them don't have a lot of Christian bands/artists to begin with. So the chances of finding a Christian band in that genre that one might like are greatly diminished.

I know that there are some Christian bands who could be classified as symphonic/gothic metal, but whether they compare to those bands that you do like is only something you'd be able to tell. And if you don't like them then I don't see it as a big deal.

Reactions: Caminator
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Most worship music isn't worth listening to anyway, in my opinion.

A lot of it is repetitive, mindless rubbish and that's not really something a Christian should impose upon themselves, much less as a means of worship or drawing themselves closer to God.

Upvote 0

ShadowsChild

Victorious NOT Victim
Nov 22, 2010
Alberta, Canada
✟8,916.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well thats reassuring. Thanks.
I try to understand the bands ideals before listening to them, as my church believes that music is opening ones soul - to give and receive (it was a compromise after speaking with my pastor) But i agree with worship - its the same thing over and over. Give me some passion, some meat to the lyrics

Upvote 0

Jah Jah Warrior

Apr 13, 2015
Buffalo, NY
✟7,627.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have mixed feelings when it comes to Christian music. 2 major issues I find with Christian music is...
#1. It's very hard to find Christian bands who are original or creative in their style or music writing. A lot of Christian artists tend to be imitators rather than innovators. I've noticed a lot of contemporary worship artists all sound the same.
#2. A lot of Christian artists today (especially rock) water down their lyrics with a "positive message" that really has nothing whatsoever to do with God or the bible. It's basically secular music with a positive message.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Ok.. so weird question. For the most part I strongly dislike Christian artists and Worship music.
I listen to ALOT of Euro Goth Metal ... some of which can be pretty dark. My pastor thinks its a little concerning due to other issues involved. But me personally, I don't think I see it as a problem. I mean I listen to sometimes. But given a proper choice, I bypass most Christian artist and Worship music all together. I am forced to listen to Worship music at work every day and have come to resent it.

No. It shows you have good taste in music. I am afraid 'Christian' music does nothing for me either; much of it is inane, narcissistic, overemotional and theologically questionable. And that is the good stuff.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Well thats reassuring. Thanks.
I try to understand the bands ideals before listening to them, as my church believes that music is opening ones soul - to give and receive (it was a compromise after speaking with my pastor) But i agree with worship - its the same thing over and over. Give me some passion, some meat to the lyrics

If you listen carefully enough you can find God in any song; either encouraging or warning. He doesn't need a sub division of music to himself; he is omnipresent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,543.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
#1. It's very hard to find Christian bands who are original or creative in their style or music writing. A lot of Christian artists tend to be imitators rather than innovators. I've noticed a lot of contemporary worship artists all sound the same.

To be fair, a lot of non-Christian artists aren't that innovative either. And because their audience is smaller to begin with, Christian artists may not really have the opportunity or incentive to try to be innovative.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very few artists period are original or creative - so that is a bit of a hard standard to hold only Christian artists to. As someone else already pointed out, with the Christian music market so much smaller, it's hard for truly creative artists to get material recorded and out there. With a small number of Christian stations they all tend to gravitate to the largest (still small) portion of the audience. So usually I find a good artist accidentally - and the creative ones that get airplay do get copied a lot which tends to water down pretty quickly the innovation they brought. A difficult cycle.

To the OP, nothing wrong with liking your style of music and not liking musically what you've heard from Christian artists. If Christians aren't performing that, well, you can't control it.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most worship music isn't worth listening to anyway, in my opinion.

A lot of it is repetitive, mindless rubbish and that's not really something a Christian should impose upon themselves, much less as a means of worship or drawing themselves closer to God.
LOL. Sounds like you're trying to say your preferences should be any Christian's preferences.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
P&W is mostly 7/11 crap (sing these 7 measures 11 times) or horrible rewrites of classic hymns.
Lots of other Christian music on the radio is sappy happy Jesus is my boyfriend garbage.
The most interesting for me is some of the Celtic and prog-rock stuff.
When I was a teen I listened to Alice Cooper. My mom was fine with it as long as I didn't start dressing like a member of his roadshow (except on Halloween). She taught me that music is to entertain and relax your mind, so listen to what you like and as many styles as you like - but don't live your life by the lyrics or the artists.

Upvote 0

JustHisKid

Jun 12, 2015
✟2,859.00
Faith
Christian

My husband, who reads the word daily and has a deep and meaningful relationship with the Lord doesn't like most Christian music, either. He likes a very chosen few. I like some, but not most. Most of it is just poppy garbage that I wouldn't listen to, anyway. I tend to like rock and so the Christian music I like is more on the rock side. I do like Hillsong, though, which is very praisy music. I do love that. My husband listens to Tool and Rush and bands like that. I don't think there is anything wrong with either of us. We both love the Lord deeply.

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hawthorne

CF Singles High Council
Sep 1, 2005
Going to and fro and up and down in the earth.
✟44,826.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like you might enjoy Virgin Black. They're Christian-leaning, but critical of much of the modern Church, their album Elegant... and dying being devoted to the matter.

This is one of their finest songs among many...

I think the only 'worship' music I listen to is John Michael Talbot, and that's largely because he's in the contemplative vein with classical guitar and calm vocals reminiscent of a Medieval troubadour. His music also makes great use of orchestral and choral arrangements.

This is the sort of thing I listen to.

Calming in parts, dramatic in others. Love it.

Excellent.

Are you familiar with Tenebrae Choir?

Their music is lovely, and the art direction of their videos is superb.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

random person

1 COR. 10:11; HEB. 1:2; HEB. 9:26,28; 1 PET. 1:20
Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't listen to any Christian rock music either, its image feels so studio premanufactured and artificial. And I have this mental picture of crowds of young Christians pogoing to the music too doesn't help. lol

If someone points me to great Christian rock or metal band, I will give them a shot. Maybe.

Maybe I haven't listened to enough Christian rock and metal. IDK.

Upvote 0

John The Recorder Player

Jun 9, 2015
Somewhere in the Midwest.
✟7,750.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure we can really control what we favor and what we don't. So long as you are capable of understanding that some of the ideas espoused in Euro Goth Metal are not consistent with living a Christian life I don't really see a problem with you listening to it. If you are not capable of making that distinction then you probably should avoid it. I'm with you on praise and worship music (seems canned to me) but I have to admit I do enjoy groups such as Selah and I enjoy the Gaither Old Friends type music. But to each his own. Great question my friend.

Upvote 0