provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi so I've been away from this site for several weeks. But I have a question now. Is it sinful to use antipsychotic medications? Could a Christian argument be made that using stuff like SSRIs and other meds be considered sorcery today? I'm on a drug regimen myself and I feel I kind of need to be, otherwise I don't feel so hot in my mind. I'm not taking a whole cocktail of meds, just one. Please be brutally honest if you think it is or isn't. One defense for using is that God created everything to have certain properties and that when these properties are discovered and utilized to produce a medication, God is glorified that His creation has been used to heal another of their ailments. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi so I've been away from this site for several weeks. But I have a question now. Is it sinful to use antipsychotic medications? Could a Christian argument be made that using stuff like SSRIs and other meds be considered sorcery today? I'm on a drug regimen myself and I feel I kind of need to be, otherwise I don't feel so hot in my mind. I'm not taking a whole cocktail of meds, just one. Please be brutally honest if you think it is or isn't. One defense for using is that God created everything to have certain properties and that when these properties are discovered and utilized to produce a medication, God is glorified that His creation has been used to heal another of their ailments. What do you guys think?

There is a Greek word, pharmakeia, that is translated in the King James Bible as "sorceries". We get the term pharmaceuticals from the same word. But it doesn't simply mean pharmaceuticals or sorceries. It refers to drugs some people used in ancient times to induce hallucinations. They would interpret the hallucinations as having spiritual significance. The condemnation of pharmaceuticals relates to their use as hallucinogens. It has nothing to do with using modern medicine to treat medical conditions.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You asked is it a sin I have never know God to be against Doctors. Now are all doctors honest? Pray about it.. He will always give you a peace. Praise God asking Christians we will get all kind of answers. No offense I would never ask here or on any forum. Now some have no other place to ask in that case just be careful.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You asked is it a sin I have never know God to be against Doctors. Now are all doctors honest? Pray about it.. He will always give you a peace. Praise God asking Christians we will get all kind of answers. No offense I would never ask here or on any forum. Now some have no other place to ask in that case just be careful.
Why would this not be a good place to ask theological questions?

Upvote 0