Greenville, SC
✟16,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
artybloke said:
kdet said:
Most mainline denominations find the practice of homosexuality to be sinful, Catholic, Baptist,Methodist,Muslim, Pentecostal and many more, so your claim is not true.
And you can add Orthodox to that list.

And what in the world is a "crypto-fascist"?

Upvote 0
A

ahab

Hi artybloke,

Homosexual acts are not compatible with Christian teachings.

You wrote:

I recognise that same-sex sex is not compatible with Christian teachings and I am not a crypto-fascist. Surely a fundamental Christian is one who loves God and loves their neighbour? A non fundamentalist probably compromises on the loving God or the loving ones neighbour or a combination of both. To love God we honour God with all our lives spirit and body so we avoid sins like same-sex sex as it repeatedly tells us throughout God’s Word, the scriptures.
There are plenty of celibate and ex-gay Christians who may be quite hurt by your comments.

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Granted that Paul is addressing the temple practices of the predominate Aphrodite ( consisted of sex role reversal), and the even more vicious, sex-reversed, drug induced, cults of Bacchic-Dionysus and Demeter, the fact remains, he condemed the sex role practice itself in Romans 1:18-32 Note: Throughout the Old Testament Aphrodite is known as 'Ashtaroth' & 'Astarte'

Upvote 0
A

ahab

'Homosexuality' however could mean different things.

Paul recieved the gospel from Jesus not from man. (Gal 1 & 2) Paul was a Roman citizen by birth and family and grew up in Tarsus, with its Greek Univeristy and philosophy. He was also formerly a devout Jew and expert in the law and the prophets. He knew the law that same-sex sex was detestible to God. He knew that in the beggining God could not find a companion for man so He made woman. It was for this reason that a man shall leave his father and mother and be united with his wife (Gen 2) Moses allowed divorce for various reasons because their hearts were hard, (Matt 19, Mark 10) but he didnt allow same-sex sex. Jesus however says that divorce is not God's purpose for us. They found it hard teaching but Jesus offers celibacy for whatever reason as equally acceptable alternative.
It seems many are finding that hard teaching still. Paul was clearly well aware, not only of sexual deviation in Corinth but also sexual deviation in Roman and Greek society as a whole. In 1 Cor 6:9 and 1 Tim he refers to same-sex sex, with 'arsenokoites' which seems to be formed from the septuagint Levitucus 18:22, in other words the Jewish law that it is detestible for a man to lie with a woman as with a man. In I Tim he also makes direct reference with this word to the law.
The idea of what Paul might have understood is wishful thinking, Paul clearly understood all forms of same-sex sex and is condeming them 1 Cor 6:9, 1 Tim and Rom 1. :)

'Homosexuality' however could mean different things. :)

Upvote 0

reconciliation

Oct 5, 2004
Espoo
✟15,369.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
kdet said:
Most mainline denominations find the practice of homosexuality to be sinful,
Catholic, Baptist,Methodist,Muslim, Pentecostal and many more, so your claim is not true.
In fact, almost all churches teach homosexuality is sinful. And this is right because Bible plainly declares that "those who practise such things will not enter the kingdom of heaven".

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
"Is homosexuality wrong in Christainity?

I can't see anywhere in the Bible that states homosexuality is wrong? I think its unfair that people who r gay cannot be treated equally? I am a hardcore left-winger, so you guys better have a good explaination...? If it is the word of God, well then, maybe homosexuality is just a state of mind, but I believe its genetic."

It is dead set wrong. There is so much material in God's Word to say so it is not funny.

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
the fact remains, he condemed the sex role practice itself

Did he? The whole passage is predicated on the idea that people who are usually straight are taking part in pagan cultic homosexual sex-worship - in fact, the whole passage is about paganism full-stop, only one verse refers to any sexual practice at all. There is no word in ancient Greek that covers our modern word for "homosexual" - a word not coined until the mid-19th century by German psychologists. In the ancient world, "homosexual orientation" didn't even exist as a concept. There would have been "normal" behaviours (phusin - or "natural" as it's often translated) and "not normal" (para phusin, or "beyond natural" (not against nature, as that would be "kai phusin") and "normal" would have been more to do with the way people usually behaved than any "immutable" nature (the NT world was more Stoic than Platonic.)

At the very most, it says that "pretending to be gay when you're not is wrong."

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
three other points can be made that show that Paul’s critique of homosexual practice was not limited in scope only to certain exploitative types.

Third, Paul critiques not only male homosexual practice but also female homosexual practice. The latter did not conform to the male pederastic model, nor did it usually entail cultic associations. Apparently, then, Paul’s main problem with homosexual behavior did not have to do with pederastic or idolatrous dimensions.

Fourth, the fact that Paul indicts both partners in same-sex unions and speaks of mutual gratification indicates that he does not have in view forms where coercion is involved.

Fifth, glowing tributes to homosexual love in Paul’s time and the wide variety of manifestations of same-sex love in Greco-Roman society give the lie to contemporary claims that Paul could not have conceived of caring homoerotic unions when he opposed same-sex intercourse.

http://www.leaderu.com/theology/biblehomosex_overview.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
abking said:
Tell me this, me a male sexualy abused as a child by my father where do i stand if God doesn't like gays. The experance has all ways been with me. i have read my bible, even tried to kill my self because of my thoughts, I even got married to a nice girl. this still doesn't stop me getting hot over men. To make things even worse i have even recently been with a man. Sad but he's a Pasters son. He wanted me, I keeped well away as long as i could, My problem is i love him so much more than i have loved any one, even my wife. He has problems with this but.
As a christian I hope you understand that it doesn't matter whether it's a homosexual or hetrosexual adulterous afair you had or are haveing. The point is, from your own admission, you committed adultery which is sin and are in need of repentence.

Look, my heart goes out to you because of the things your father put you through but one thing I have learned is that excuses for sin doesn't wash you clean but only the blood of Jesus can do that.

abking, don't listen to people who will tell you either way what homosexuality is. Our opinions don't matter, what matters is what the Spirit of god tells you. If you go to him with an open yet heavy heart he will show you these things. You will never find truth in peoples opinions and interpretations but can only find truth as the Spirit of God leads you.

I'll say a prayer for you,

God Bless!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.