California
✟22,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’ve been fighting with this for two weeks now(up until this point, I’d decided that once I got older, I’d lighten my skin tone, but recently its been bothering me whether god would want me to or not) and I’ve tried to do spiritual research, but so far I haven’t really found anything that gives me a clear answer.

I’m of darker complexion and I’ve always hated it. And with age, it seems I’m just getting darker. I feel like it makes me look old (I’m in my twenties, but for some reason at this point people mistake me for older). I also feel like if I had a lighter complexion, maybe my features would seem more pretty.

I don’t think dark skin is ugly or anything, I just don’t like it on me. And I've never been talked down to about my skin color. I've been called ugly, but no one has ever gotten specific about what makes me ugly.

So my question is, is it wrong to change something so drastic like skin color? Is it wrong to get plastic surgery to change your nose shape, face shape, etc.?

Does god care about this or not? Is it an insult to him to think my dark complexion is unattractive on me?

Thank You

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
I’ve been fighting with this for two weeks now(up until this point, I’d decided that once I got older, I’d lighten my skin tone, but recently its been bothering me whether god would want me to or not) and I’ve tried to do spiritual research, but so far I haven’t really found anything that gives me a clear answer.

I’m of darker complexion and I’ve always hated it. And with age, it seems I’m just getting darker. I feel like it makes me look old (I’m in my twenties, but for some reason at this point people mistake me for older). I also feel like if I had a lighter complexion, maybe my features would seem more pretty.

I don’t think dark skin is ugly or anything, I just don’t like it on me. And I've never been talked down to about my skin color. I've been called ugly, but no one has ever gotten specific about what makes me ugly.

So my question is, is it wrong to change something so drastic like skin color? Is it wrong to get plastic surgery to change your nose shape, face shape, etc.?

Does god care about this or not? Is it an insult to him to think my dark complexion is unattractive on me?

Thank You
Sin is not so much about what you do, but about why you do it.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thank You
Most people are concerned about their appearance. I remember the pop star Michael Jackson was frequently getting plastic surgeries. He may have been using some skin lightening product(s) as he was not born light skinned. He was not able to stop his aging. Changing his appearance did not change who he was as a person. He overdosed and died when he was 50 years old. All his millions of dollars were not able to buy him another minute in this world.

I think about the Asians who do not appear the same as Caucasians who are in a majority. US Asians have a higher median household income than US Caucasians. I think about US Hispanics. They have a longer life expectancy than US Caucasians. There are people like Obama, Ophra and Ben Carson who succeeded in spite of their appearances.

If only one could do better work, then one might have greater success.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whether you lighten your skin or not, you are beautiful as you are.
If you want to lighten it, do so. But do it for yourself, not because of what others think.
If you change yourself so you will be accepted by others, you will be forever changing yourself, because people just won't be satisfied. You will always feel something needs to be changed.
Accept yourself as you are, God does,

• Agree
Reactions: gerbilwoman
Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟700,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Psalm 139 says the Lord knit you in the womb. He is the one who painted your skin and chose your features. I don’t think lightening your skin will change anything about your features other than the color. God chose it for you for a reason.

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi just do you, but not for others, do it for yourself and because it makes you feel better. By the way just know no one has a truly symmetrical face or features and if some do they are some of the very rare ones, i dont know how old you are but i do know sometimes our skin tone and features etc. changes as we age... in a few years or so you will not look the same as you do now..nobody does..our appearances are forever changing but like i said just do you..but hmmm i would stay away from plastic surgeons, trust me, nobody wants to go in those expertise....

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i dont know, i think all skin colors are beautiful in thier own way ..maybe you should try like a really good moisturizer for your skin..(raw shea butter is good) and you can try to use some sunscreen when out in the sun..you need to find what works for your skin and features esp. when using makeup ..nothing is more beautiful then skin that is well taken care of and glows that could enhance your features though....etc

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
by the way everybody has some type of insecurities, i know i do but i also know God doesnt care about this stuff period, God is more concern about our heart and soul..and im sure he understands so you wont be going to hell for it..you just need to change your mindset about some things..so what if people call you ugly, you should obviously know that a person who says something like that to someone is obviously not a person with compassion or feelings in thier heart. so that should make you feel better about yourself a bit because that person is not worth your heartache and tears..because of what they have said and doesnt make them better then you..i know it hurts sometimes but i wouldnt even worry about that stuff..because that person has no heart ...and thats just something not even getting worked over...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Thank You
Song of Solomon 1:5 - 6
I am very dark, but lovely,
O daughters of Jerusalem,
like the tents of Kedar,
like the curtains of Solomon.
Do not gaze at me because I am dark,
because the sun has looked upon me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,485,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also feel like if I had a lighter complexion, maybe my features would seem more pretty.

Nope. It doesn't work that way.

For sure, there is a social bias against dark skin, not just in the US but pretty much everywhere. But there is also a bias against full features practically everywhere. And there is a bias against a certain shape of any particular body part.

If you lighten your skin trying to beat the bias, you'll just come to a dead stop at yet another bias. And on and on.

You're not going to find happiness except in the satisfaction of embracing your own DNA. Embrace your DNA.

With regard to dark skin, as a portrait photographer I would point out that there is no skin tone that photographs more beautifully than very dark skin. It's an artistic delight.

But I'm aware of the social bias, which is why I have an ongoing project of doing portraits of very dark-skinned girls to show them how lovely they really are.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I don't think it's a sin, I do think that changing your appearance might not necessarily bring you the happiness you desire. There are things about my appearance I'd like to change but without a great deal of time, money, effort, pain, and risk it's not going to happen, so I'm focusing on being content with how I am. Everyone is beautiful in their own way (I know it's a cliche, but I think it's true).

Certain things like changing your hair color or style, wearing different styles of clothing, accessorizing, wearing makeup etc are easy ways to change up your look without doing something drastic, expensive, or potentially risky. Ultimately, having a good character is the most important thing.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟302,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Our appearance changes (naturally) all the time.

But artificial means to change it (other than exercise, good diet / habits) may not be a sin but can have bad / terrible consequences later on.

And not everyone finds lighter complexion more attractive. I know this personally because I myself is more attracted to darker skin tones (although I don't really use skin color as standard to discriminate when I'm looking for someone, any color would do!). I used to be darker as well but because of work, very little opportunity to get out in the sun, my skin went lighter in complexion over the years. I have to take calcium + Vitamin D to make up for lack of exposure to the sun.

Upvote 0