Perrard

Mar 18, 2006
Pennsylvania
✟15,150.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I would like to offer up an open discussion on "Intelligent Design". As one of the former Board members of the Dover School District, I believe the message of ID must not be squashed due to the legal fallout from this case.

ID offers an avenue for our children to be exposed to an "alternative" view from Darwinism.

Unfortunately we are seeing the implications of not giving our children any type of choice in the classroom when it come to the origins of life and evolution.

Our society continues to decay due to the efforts of the minority and their influence in the schools, media, courts and government. As Christians we need to continue to vocalize our beliefs and the message of the bible.

Anyway I will not go into any sermons at this time. I just wanted to offer up the experiences we went through here in Dover and what all of us can learn from what ID has to offer.

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perrard:

Welcome to CF! I hope you find your time here a well invested opportunity to learn and to share.

You are making quite a claim, being a former member of the Dover school board. Don't be surprised if you encounter a certain level of skepticism regarding that claim.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing you address the issues involved in the Dover case. I, myself, have had a particular interest in the case and the consequences thereof, since I live in York county as well.

So, let me offer up this question for you: why do you feel that it was/is important to offer up an 'alternative(s)" to evolutionary theory in public school science classrooms?

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Perrard said:
I would like to offer up an open discussion on "Intelligent Design". As one of the former Board members of the Dover School District, I believe the message of ID must not be squashed due to the legal fallout from this case.

ID offers an avenue for our children to be exposed to an "alternative" view from Darwinism.

Unfortunately we are seeing the implications of not giving our children any type of choice in the classroom when it come to the origins of life and evolution.

Our society continues to decay due to the efforts of the minority and their influence in the schools, media, courts and government. As Christians we need to continue to vocalize our beliefs and the message of the bible.

Anyway I will not go into any sermons at this time. I just wanted to offer up the experiences we went through here in Dover and what all of us can learn from what ID has to offer.

I have discovered that ID uses the term "Darwinism" a lot, but without clearly defining the term. May I ask what you personally mean by "Darwinism"? I have asked this of several other posters who used the word and received highly diverse, even contradictory, answers.

So I would like to be sure we are on the same page on what "Darwinism" is before discussing why you think we need an alternate to Darwinism in the classroom.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome, Perrard. :)

I don't think I understood your post correctly. You aren't advocating the view that the children should have a choice as to the content of their science curriculum, are you? That's something that should be left up the scientists, and molded by people who are familiar with the methods of child education, right?

Upvote 0

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Perrard said:

That was a great move bringing in Behe who testified Astrology was a science. You couldn' have "designed" a better ploy to lose the case.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dracil said:
No, ID should be squashed because it's philosophy, not science.

I'm still going to invoke Poe's Law though.

Oh, wow. Good point. I didn't even think to look. It's kind of funny because he already has a rep of 92.

Is Poe's law unique to this forum, though? I can't find it anywhere else.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dracil said:
Yeah, it was created by Nathan Poe of this forum, that's why it's generally only used here. I think he tried to get it on Wikipedia but it was struck down as a neologism.

Oh, man! Too bad. It's such a useful theorem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
the problem with ID is the same problem with P.Johnson's wedge.

the misunderstanding of the difference between methodological and philosophic naturalism/materialism.

both ID and the wedge propose that PN parallels science from the lowest levels of data acquisition to the highest levels of theorizing. exactly like the Chinese communist party parallels the PLA, for every level officer there is a political cadre.

the problem is that there is no evidence that using MN entails/implies/forces/etc a PN. nor is there any evidence that a Christian with a supernaturalistic worldview looks at a piece of data differently than does an atheistic with a materialistic world view.

i think that the line is drawn vertically when it ought to be drawn horizontally between the science and scientism. between the theories of science and the nothingbutism of a world view.

essentially ID like YECism criticises science on a very low level. See the discussion here for instance about whether ERV's can form clades. when the real battle is over the meaning, over the value, over the human level of ethics and what conclusions we draw from the theories in order to structure our lives and societies....

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Perrard said:

Most of us here are very familiar with "what ID has to offer". First, though, I'm sure many of us would appreciate some way of confirming that you are in fact a former Dover school board member.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Perrard

Mar 18, 2006
Pennsylvania
✟15,150.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Wow,

I never thought there would be such a quick backlash on a Christian forum to the ID debate. And I am already reading many people here who do not "clearly" understand the whole debate that did occur in Dover concerning ID.

Who am I? I have nothing to hide concerning my position or identity, my name is David Napierskie and I was selected

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Perrard said:
I'm certainly not here to question your truthfulness regarding whether you are or are not a former Board member. If you say you are I have no reason not to believe it. As for the message of ID being squashed, I hardly believe that to be true. All new ideas take time to be implemented. If they are worthy, they will eventually rise and be accepted.

Perrard said:
Children should see all alternative views to an idea such as evolution, especially given the fact that there is so much controversy concerning it.

I've always found it fascinating how some Christians can believe something such as evolution so fervently and promote it as truth and yet when presented the opportunity to promote Jesus we invoke separation ideology.:doh:
Perrard said:
Yes they've become indoctrinated to evolution. I was too, yet I overcame it and found the truth. That's the neat thing about the truth, it always overcomes.
Perrard said:
:amen:

Perrard said:
I'd be interested in hearing about those experiences, up until now you really haven't provided any. I'd like to know what you've learned from the experience and what, if anything, you'd do differently.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.