Indwelling of the holy spirit

Eyes wide Open

Love and peace is the ONLY foundation-to build....
Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
I'm keen to find out from Christians what this means to them personally and perhaps from a historic perspective what this meant. So as not to lead anybody down a path, I'm ok within myself and I can give my own understanding and explanation of this indwelling within me and how it came about but it does not align (maybe) with any Christian teaching, but I'm very keen to learn about the Christian view.

A Sojourner

Mar 19, 2012
✟8,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm keen to find out from Christians what this means to them personally and perhaps from a historic perspective what this meant. So as not to lead anybody down a path, I'm ok within myself and I can give my own understanding and explanation of this indwelling within me and how it came about but it does not align (maybe) with any Christian teaching, but I'm very keen to learn about the Christian view.

Greetings Eyes Wide Open!!
I'm curious. Please do give an understanding and explanation of " this indwelling within you and how it came about". Perhaps this may open up the discussion. Thanx.

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
I'm curious. Please do give an understanding and explanation of " this indwelling within you and how it came about". Perhaps this may open up the discussion. Thanx.

Yes of course, it may take a day or two as my computer is stuffed and I can't bear the thought of tapping out any more than a couple of lines on my iPhone (thats enough) :)

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The indwelling Holy Spirit is not an easy concept to explain, but it is easy to experience.

Lots of people prior to and even after Pentecost (after Christ’s death on the cross) received a miraculous “portion” of the Holy Spirit that seemed to be temporary for most and to show both believers and non-believers God was with them. This outward very visible portion of the Spirit would have been especially needed for the first century Jews to accept Christianity and later the Gentile Christians as brothers since they had a history of God work with them miraculously.

The indwelling portion of the Spirit is much more valuable that the outward miraculous portion of the Spirit for Christians today and is all that is really needed.

The indwelling Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Christ/God and so can actually be refer to as God making his home in us.

The Indwelling portion of the Spirit only became available to Christians on and after the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2). John 16: 7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:</SPAN> 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

The indwelling portion of the Holy Spirit, allows the believe to truly be like Christ (perfect in Love and obedience), but the believer still has free will and at anytime can quench the indwelling Holy Spirit and go about on his own (this will lead to sinning).

The indwelling portion of the Spirit is not to give assurance to the nonbeliever, but is for the believer:

2 Cor 1: 21 Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us,</SPAN> 22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

We can really &#8220;know&#8221; we have the indwelling Holy Spirit, because all the sins we could not keep from doing on our own we can now keep from doing as long as we do not quench the Holy Spirit. But I cannot &#8220;proof&#8221; to you I have the indwelling Holy Spirit, but I know I do. Also, I can tell when I partner up with the Holy Spirit in studying or really anything I am doing I can go way beyond my previous ability.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

It means that the Spirit has come to us, regenerating our hearts and minds to that of Christ, giving new life to us, bringing us into the fellowship of the Son and the Father, and making us heirs of resurrection and immortality.

St. Paul the Apostle writes in Romans ch. 8, "If the Spirit of Him who raised Christ from the dead dwells also in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through the Spirit who dwells in you."

The Spirit of the Father, who proceeds from the Father, who is also the Spirit of the Son (and therefore Bond between Father and Son) is sent to dwell in Christ's Faithful, in His Church; received in the waters of Holy Baptism by the promise and word of God, we are united to Jesus Christ Himself, made members of His Body by our being mystically united to His death and resurrection and receiving His Body and Blood at His Table we find ourselves partakers and sharers in the Life of God, intimates of the Holy Trinity. And if united to Christ, in God, through the unity and power of the Spirit, we are heirs of God, joint-heirs with Christ, and thus recipients of all the good things of Christ: Heirs of the resurrection of the dead, of life-everlasting and immortality, of a new life borne out of new creation of God wrought through Christ Jesus whereby there is reconciliation, peace, justice, and life. Age to Come, world without end, beginning here and now as the kingdom comes and is coming. Inaugurated by He who bore Crown and Cross and consummated at the Parousia, the glorious appearing and coming of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ, world without end.

-CrypoLutheran

Upvote 0

candle glow

whatever I want to be
Jan 2, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
✟18,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey ewo,

Nice topic. I'm happy to give my understanding of the answer to your question.

Jesus said that his teachings are spirit. In another place he said the job of the holy spirit will be to remind us of the teachings of Jesus.

To be "indwelt" by the holy spirit means to act on the teachings of Jesus; like to actually obey him.

The real question is, what did he tell his followers to do?

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I just saw this, and I am going to give you my response without looking at the others..... I want to give you my belief as a Christian.

First of all, there is one Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Yahweh, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is not available to non-Christians. The Holy Spirit comes when we submit ourselves to Jesus Christ and His Kingdom, and thus to the will of God the Father, ie: Yahweh, and it is actually the Holy Spirit that works within us to draw us to this relationship with God.

Once within us the Holy Spirit gives us the assurance that we are indeed now children of God. The indwelling of the Spirit is a fulfillment of the promise given in the Old Testament of the Bible, that God's Spirit would be placed within people, and that His word, His will, would be engraved, so to speak, on our hearts (meaning that we would do His will without going by laws but rather by acting on the inclination of the Spirit within). When the Holy Spirit comes into a person, several things happen, but mostly it's a function of the eternal seed sprouting and flourishing and bursting forth and changing us from the inside out. We who have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us have access to the same power that raised Jesus from the dead, and that power is to be used to overcome sin and bondage in our own lives and to offer and transmit the same freedom to others whom we encounter. This power sometimes causes interesting things to happen, such as healing and other miracles.

For me personally the first time I encountered this was when I was a young girl. I think I was around nine. I heard my mom for the umpteenth time speaking in tongues. She seemed so excited. I wanted to know more about what this was, so I asked her. She explained to me that it was because she was submitted to God and he put his holy Spirit inside her that this happened. Long story short, she prayed with me, and three things happened that day. First, I spoke in tongues too. Wow, strange experience - not knowing what was coming out of my mouth. Second, I went outside and found that my bicycle which had been missing had appeared in the driveway. O.O and third, I had a desire to read the Bible. I had a Living Bible (modern/easy version), and I read the book of Jonah that day. Great story. Other things have happened over the years since then, but perhaps that is another story (or several) for another time?

blessings
tal

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Eyes wide Open. When Jesus left us to go back to the Father, He promised to send the holy spirit to help and guide us. The holy spirit is now on Earth, to carry on the work of Jesus.
Jesus told us in Matthew: " Love God with all your hearts, with all your souls and with all your minds. Also: Love your neighbour as yourselves" Whenever we need the help or guidance of the holy spirit, we only have to ask and receive. Jesus told us "ask and receive," then we thank the holy spirit, and carry on loving and caring. Many of us have invited the holy spirit into our hearts. Like God and Jesus, the holy spirit will not force us, but we ask and receive thankfully.
If you want the holy spirit to indwell you, ask in prayer, and the holy spirit will come and live with you. I say this with love, Eyes wide Open. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith

Well I practice Kriya yoga (non religious) which is a meditation technique, and is very simple in its application although there needs an initiation from a teacher. It's essentially about raising your energy through the energy centers in the body using the in-breath and out-breath. This creates a very intense feeling in the body, literally waves of energy traveling up the spine into the crown energy center and just opening up your being to oneness. Certainly words do not do it justice. What I'm left with is an intense peace and understanding and just feel great compassion for all life. I had to give up eating meat although I didn't want to, but I just had to. My levels of intuition have increased greatly and I literally feel guided. I also see my weaknesses laid out before me (all my selfish ways) like separate parts of me, as if I am some kind of observer in the process unattached. I also see other peoples weaknesses in the same way but not in a judgmental sense, but I just see how they are attached to these aspects as inhibiting their true nature or stopping their true nature coming forth. From a scientific perspective there are many things I could elaborate on regarding the processes that go on in the body when these feelings occur. So I look to prayer in the Christian faith as this window to let in the holy spirit and wonder if it's just a Sunday session in the pews, or a daily connection to God, or literally every breath can be centered on the lord, I belive that this was original prayer, being at one with god with every breath. I know from the Christian faith that the mystics had similar experiences and I found it interesting to note that most saints and mystics from all faiths were vegetarian which is inline with my own experience. So I curiously ask what is it that they felt, and what mechanisms allowed this indwelling if indeed that's what it was. I also feel I know my true self or nature, call it soul if you wish, this aspect that is divine, or conneted to the divine and to know this is to see that God condemns nobody and that we are products of our own creation and that this true nature or self is there within everybody just hidden under layers of our thoughts, desires, mind attachments, and selfish driven agendas. I literally cannot hold any judgement for another, nor can I deem myself more worthy than a blade of grass that feeds a cow in a field. I see my life as a total gift, even though it's more of a challenge than before ( observing these weaknesses) I see the bad in people as a mask that they wear, hidden beneath is this wonderful nature that has been suppressed by this collective dog eat dog agenda which is born of civilization, driven or lured towards the collective death to spirit that Jesus was trying to teach us to move away from. Also I feel this intense draw to the life of Jesus, before he was a good bloke who obviously was kind and all, now I see him as this profound rock of a man taking on the status quo knowing that to do so would mean death. For what? So that we could follow his way and be born of spirit. That said I am careful not to say I know the ways of God, but only to know my true self or nature, that doesn't mean that it is not a mighty challenge to bring that into my daily life as it challenges not only my ego self and/or old self but also other peoples ego's and self's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
The indwelling Holy Spirit is not an easy concept to explain, but it is easy to experience.

Lots of people prior to and even after Pentecost (after Christ&#8217;s death on the cross) received a miraculous &#8220;portion&#8221; of the Holy Spirit that seemed to be temporary for most and to show both believers and non-believers God was with them. This outward very visible portion of the Spirit would have been especially needed for the first century Jews to accept Christianity and later the Gentile Christians as brothers since they had a history of God work with them miraculously.

The indwelling portion of the Spirit is much more valuable that the outward miraculous portion of the Spirit for Christians today and is all that is really needed.

The indwelling Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Christ/God and so can actually be refer to as God making his home in us.

The Indwelling portion of the Spirit only became available to Christians on and after the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2). John 16: 7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:</SPAN> 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

The indwelling portion of the Holy Spirit, allows the believe to truly be like Christ (perfect in Love and obedience), but the believer still has free will and at anytime can quench the indwelling Holy Spirit and go about on his own (this will lead to sinning).

The indwelling portion of the Spirit is not to give assurance to the nonbeliever, but is for the believer:

2 Cor 1: 21 Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us,</SPAN> 22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

We can really &#8220;know&#8221; we have the indwelling Holy Spirit, because all the sins we could not keep from doing on our own we can now keep from doing as long as we do not quench the Holy Spirit. But I cannot &#8220;proof&#8221; to you I have the indwelling Holy Spirit, but I know I do. Also, I can tell when I partner up with the Holy Spirit in studying or really anything I am doing I can go way beyond my previous ability.

Thanks for yout input, it's a well rounded post. I just wonder about belief and wheather it's somoething that is felt first then belief grows. I mean if you don't partake in prayer/meditation are you investing in anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
It means that the Spirit has come to us, regenerating our hearts and minds to that of Christ, giving new life to us, bringing us into the fellowship of the Son and the Father, and making us heirs of resurrection and immortality.

St. Paul the Apostle writes in Romans ch. 8, "If the Spirit of Him who raised Christ from the dead dwells also in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through the Spirit who dwells in you."

The Spirit of the Father, who proceeds from the Father, who is also the Spirit of the Son (and therefore Bond between Father and Son) is sent to dwell in Christ's Faithful, in His Church; received in the waters of Holy Baptism by the promise and word of God, we are united to Jesus Christ Himself, made members of His Body by our being mystically united to His death and resurrection and receiving His Body and Blood at His Table we find ourselves partakers and sharers in the Life of God, intimates of the Holy Trinity. And if united to Christ, in God, through the unity and power of the Spirit, we are heirs of God, joint-heirs with Christ, and thus recipients of all the good things of Christ: Heirs of the resurrection of the dead, of life-everlasting and immortality, of a new life borne out of new creation of God wrought through Christ Jesus whereby there is reconciliation, peace, justice, and life. Age to Come, world without end, beginning here and now as the kingdom comes and is coming. Inaugurated by He who bore Crown and Cross and consummated at the Parousia, the glorious appearing and coming of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ, world without end.

-CrypoLutheran

I'm not one to really focus on imortality and resurrection as I see these things out of my hands. I have the here and know and my applied action, which in itelf is a daily challenge.

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
Hey ewo,

Nice topic. I'm happy to give my understanding of the answer to your question.

Jesus said that his teachings are spirit. In another place he said the job of the holy spirit will be to remind us of the teachings of Jesus.

To be "indwelt" by the holy spirit means to act on the teachings of Jesus; like to actually obey him.

The real question is, what did he tell his followers to do?

Follow his way, as in a life lived.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
I just saw this, and I am going to give you my response without looking at the others..... I want to give you my belief as a Christian.

First of all, there is one Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Yahweh, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is not available to non-Christians. The Holy Spirit comes when we submit ourselves to Jesus Christ and His Kingdom, and thus to the will of God the Father, ie: Yahweh, and it is actually the Holy Spirit that works within us to draw us to this relationship with God.

Once within us the Holy Spirit gives us the assurance that we are indeed now children of God. The indwelling of the Spirit is a fulfillment of the promise given in the Old Testament of the Bible, that God's Spirit would be placed within people, and that His word, His will, would be engraved, so to speak, on our hearts (meaning that we would do His will without going by laws but rather by acting on the inclination of the Spirit within). When the Holy Spirit comes into a person, several things happen, but mostly it's a function of the eternal seed sprouting and flourishing and bursting forth and changing us from the inside out. We who have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us have access to the same power that raised Jesus from the dead, and that power is to be used to overcome sin and bondage in our own lives and to offer and transmit the same freedom to others whom we encounter. This power sometimes causes interesting things to happen, such as healing and other miracles.

For me personally the first time I encountered this was when I was a young girl. I think I was around nine. I heard my mom for the umpteenth time speaking in tongues. She seemed so excited. I wanted to know more about what this was, so I asked her. She explained to me that it was because she was submitted to God and he put his holy Spirit inside her that this happened. Long story short, she prayed with me, and three things happened that day. First, I spoke in tongues too. Wow, strange experience - not knowing what was coming out of my mouth. Second, I went outside and found that my bicycle which had been missing had appeared in the driveway. O.O and third, I had a desire to read the Bible. I had a Living Bible (modern/easy version), and I read the book of Jonah that day. Great story. Other things have happened over the years since then, but perhaps that is another story (or several) for another time?

blessings
tal

I really enjoy personal experiences, you talk of speaking in tongues, something I am not familiar with. Certainly once we experience certain things life does start to move along a different path. It's scary in a sense as you are giving yourself over to something that you cannot truly know and yet you feel loved and safe.

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
Dear Eyes wide Open. When Jesus left us to go back to the Father, He promised to send the holy spirit to help and guide us. The holy spirit is now on Earth, to carry on the work of Jesus.
Jesus told us in Matthew: " Love God with all your hearts, with all your souls and with all your minds. Also: Love your neighbour as yourselves" Whenever we need the help or guidance of the holy spirit, we only have to ask and receive. Jesus told us "ask and receive," then we thank the holy spirit, and carry on loving and caring. Many of us have invited the holy spirit into our hearts. Like God and Jesus, the holy spirit will not force us, but we ask and receive thankfully.
If you want the holy spirit to indwell you, ask in prayer, and the holy spirit will come and live with you. I say this with love, Eyes wide Open. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Thankyou for your kind words, you say ask in prayer, perhaps an under invested aspect of modern Christianity? I was raised as a Catholic So when I felt a ceratin something, Christ was my focus and still is, although there are other followers of the life of Chrsit that resonate with myself and I see tham as worthy men/women of faith.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for yout input, it's a well rounded post. I just wonder about belief and wheather it's somoething that is felt first then belief grows. I mean if you don't partake in prayer/meditation are you investing in anything.
I am not sure what you are asking, but once you have accepted God’s Charity, you can grow your faith (which is tied to Godly type Love) by using what little “faith” (trust) you do have with the little faith you have and do something with it. This can wear you out quickly so you will need time to rest (meditate, study, fellowship and pray).

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How can I explain such a powerful gift. You know at times you drive by and see those big balloons waving back and forth in the wind, half full of air - well the Holy Spirit would be like filling that balloon completely full and it stands tall with new life.

I was a church pew warmer all my life - raised in the church and thinking I was doing all that needed to be done to reach Heaven and I probably was - but little did I know what I was missing.

I met a friend who had the Joy of the Lord that I did not have - I wanted that joy - I was reading a book and doing some research on the Holy Spirit - I did not understand it - the book was 'In the shadow of His hand' - I just laid the book down and said 'God if this is of you - I want it' - the Holy Spirit fell on me so strong that I felt like I had been plugged into a light socket. 3 strange words formed in my mind - I spoke those words out and my prayer language came forth and I worshiped in this intense visit from the Holy Spirit for 3-1/2 hours. Wow - life has never been the same.

Church and all the manmade rules went out the window - a personal relationship with my hand in the hand of Jesus and led by the Holy Spirit and my only desire was to please God became my way of life. Your prayers become more powerful and your existance has a new life.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm keen to find out from Christians what this means to them personally and perhaps from a historic perspective what this meant.
Since it is from the Bible that Christians derive their understanding of the Holy Spirit and His work within them, it seems to me appropriate to consider what the Bible teaches.

On the most general level:

The Holy Spirit is not merely a force or power but a Person - the third Person of the Trinity.

Matthew 28:19
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

The Holy Spirit teaches:

Luke 12:12
12 For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say."

The Holy Spirit helps and comforts:

John 14:26
26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

The Holy Spirit speaks:

Acts 13:2
2 As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, "Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."

The Holy Spirit communes with us:

2 Corinthians 13:14
14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen.

The Holy Spirit may be grieved:

Ephesians 4:30
30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

And so on. Clearly, the Holy Spirit is not simply a force, some amorphous energy without personality or consciousness. He imparts to us spiritual life and teaches us the deeper spiritual truths of God.

John 16:13
13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

Titus 3:5
5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,

So as not to lead anybody down a path, I'm ok within myself and I can give my own understanding and explanation of this indwelling within me and how it came about but it does not align (maybe) with any Christian teaching, but I'm very keen to learn about the Christian view.
You cannot have God's Spirit within you unless you have first humbly embraced the truth of your own sinfulness and desperate need of saving from God's holy wrath and have by faith accepted Christ as your Saviour. This is the clear teaching of the Word of God.

Titus 3:3-7
3 For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another.
4 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared,
5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,
6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Ephesians 1:10-14
10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth--in Him.
11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,
12 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory.
13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

Whatever "energy" you feel and whatever "spiritual" experience you believe you have had, it is not, if the Bible is true, from God.

Selah.

Upvote 0