brittany111

Feb 18, 2012
TX
✟7,958.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm keen to find out from Christians what this means to them personally and perhaps from a historic perspective what this meant. So as not to lead anybody down a path, I'm ok within myself and I can give my own understanding and explanation of this indwelling within me and how it came about but it does not align (maybe) with any Christian teaching, but I'm very keen to learn about the Christian view.

I have read all the posts and must say that I concur with the majority of the Christians who have responded, but still would like to transfer to you my own understanding of who the Holy Spirit is.

First it is important to reiterate that you can only receive the Holy Spirit if you have put your faith in Christ alone for salvation of sin. (That means you have acknowledge your sin and come to Christ in repentance and faith believing in His live, death, and resurrection.) The Holy Spirit is a gift from God to believers. In John 16:7 just before He ascends into Heaven Jesus tells His disciples it is good for them that He go away so that the Holy Spirit will come. This is important because the Holy Spirit has come to live in the hearts of the believers and seal them as the children of God. (2 Corinthians 1:22). As a constant companion living with in us the Holy Spirit reminds believers "of everything I have said to you." (John 14:26) He also helps us pray (Romans 8:26). The Spirit is not forceful, but lovingly directs us in prayer and live. That is why He can be quenched (1 Thessalonians 5:19).

In my experience-what is important to me-is that the Holy Spirit lives with in me (is the presence of the Holy in my life) and it is through the Holy Spirit that I have constant communion with Christ (relationship with Christ)!

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Love and peace is the ONLY foundation-to build....
Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
I am not sure what you are asking, but once you have accepted God’s Charity, you can grow your faith (which is tied to Godly type Love) by using what little “faith” (trust) you do have with the little faith you have and do something with it. This can wear you out quickly so you will need time to rest (meditate, study, fellowship and pray).

I suppose I'm asking what the dynamic aspect is it that allows the holy spirit to enter, and upon entering what constitutes this 'being born again' or born of spirit. I get the feeling a shift in regards how you feel must be relavent.

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
Clearly, the Holy Spirit is not simply a force, some amorphous energy without personality or consciousness. He imparts to us spiritual life and teaches us the deeper spiritual truths of God.

What are these truths.

You cannot have God's Spirit within you unless you have first humbly embraced the truth of your own sinfulness and desperate need of saving from God's holy wrath and have by faith accepted Christ as your Saviour. This is the clear teaching of the Word of God.

May I refer you to post 12 & 17

Whatever "energy" you feel and whatever "spiritual" experience you believe you have had, it is not, if the Bible is true, from God.

"And so does this Spirit work in and by him that others, though they see not the principle, can easily discern the change produced; for whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world"

"The wind bloweth where it will, and thou hearest the voice thereof, but knowest not whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit."

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
If you were filled with the Holy Spirit the bible would make sense to you, this is what the bible teaches, if you do not believe the bible, then you have been filled with a different spirit, and it is no comparison with the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit is the power of God

To make the statement that the bible makes sense would be a rather broad sweeping statement, certainly I'm happy for that to be your assumption. There are many aspects that do make perfect sense to me, and there are aspects that don't, but they do not get dismissed as they need to be understood from history, context and the message of the time and without biblical study in these areas it can remain grey. The bible can teach many things, and so can people who interpret the bible, but that doesn't make the two consistant with what I see and feel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
How can I explain such a powerful gift. You know at times you drive by and see those big balloons waving back and forth in the wind, half full of air - well the Holy Spirit would be like filling that balloon completely full and it stands tall with new life.

I was a church pew warmer all my life - raised in the church and thinking I was doing all that needed to be done to reach Heaven and I probably was - but little did I know what I was missing.

I met a friend who had the Joy of the Lord that I did not have - I wanted that joy - I was reading a book and doing some research on the Holy Spirit - I did not understand it - the book was 'In the shadow of His hand' - I just laid the book down and said 'God if this is of you - I want it' - the Holy Spirit fell on me so strong that I felt like I had been plugged into a light socket. 3 strange words formed in my mind - I spoke those words out and my prayer language came forth and I worshiped in this intense visit from the Holy Spirit for 3-1/2 hours. Wow - life has never been the same.

Church and all the manmade rules went out the window - a personal relationship with my hand in the hand of Jesus and led by the Holy Spirit and my only desire was to please God became my way of life. Your prayers become more powerful and your existance has a new life.

Good on you, thankyou for sharing that, just what I was looking for.
So you were reborn of spirit, saved from death to the spirit, living with a desire to please God, that became your 'way' :)

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
First it is important to reiterate that you can only receive the Holy Spirit if you have put your faith in Christ alone for salvation of sin. (That means you have acknowledge your sin and come to Christ in repentance and faith believing in His live, death, and resurrection.) The Holy Spirit is a gift from God to believers. In John 16:7 just before He ascends into Heaven Jesus tells His disciples it is good for them that He go away so that the Holy Spirit will come. This is important because the Holy Spirit has come to live in the hearts of the believers and seal them as the children of God. (2 Corinthians 1:22). As a constant companion living with in us the Holy Spirit reminds believers "of everything I have said to you." (John 14:26) He also helps us pray (Romans 8:26). The Spirit is not forceful, but lovingly directs us in prayer and live. That is why He can be quenched (1 Thessalonians 5:19).

Text book teaching. I don't mean that in a dismissive sense.

In my experience-what is important to me-is that the Holy Spirit lives with in me (is the presence of the Holy in my life) and it is through the Holy Spirit that I have constant communion with Christ (relationship with Christ)!

What is the physical aspect that you do, to have this relationship. Is prayer an important part of your life. How does this holy spirit manifest itself within you to enable you to have constant communion. Please don't see my questions as any kind of challenge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brittany111

Feb 18, 2012
TX
✟7,958.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Text book teaching. I don't mean that in a dismissive sense.

What is the physical aspect that you do, to have this relationship. Is prayer an important part of your life. How does this holy spirit manifest itself within you to enable you to have constant communion. Please don't see my questions as any kind of challenge.

I can see from your posts you are simply trying to understand. To answer your questions:

Yes, prayer is a very important part of my life. It is the way I communicate with Lord. The Bible says to pray "without ceasing." I do not always pray out loud (though I do that to). It's just through-out the day I can pray asking the Lord for help, guidance, strength, (whatever it is I need). Sometimes it happens that I just do what it is I asked for help with, knowing it is the Holy Spirit helping me b/c in my own strength I would not be able. Sometimes I can "hear" (not audibly but more in my heart) the Holy Spirit speaking to my heart. It is difficult to explain with words how this happens except it is by the power of God alone. To be honest it would be difficult to understand for those who do not believe for they do not have the Holy Spirit living in them.

Another key is obedience. That is actually trusting the Holy Spirit enough to do the things He speaks to your heart and not to qench Him. Trust and faith are major parts of the Christian life.

Upvote 0

A Sojourner

Mar 19, 2012
✟8,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I practice Kriya yoga (non religious) which is a meditation technique, and is very simple in its application although there needs an initiation from a teacher. It's essentially about raising your energy through the energy centers in the body using the in-breath and out-breath. This creates a very intense feeling in the body, literally waves of energy traveling up the spine into the crown energy center and just opening up your being to oneness. Certainly words do not do it justice. What I'm left with is an intense peace and understanding and just feel great compassion for all life. I had to give up eating meat although I didn't want to, but I just had to. My levels of intuition have increased greatly and I literally feel guided. I also see my weaknesses laid out before me (all my selfish ways) like separate parts of me, as if I am some kind of observer in the process unattached. I also see other peoples weaknesses in the same way but not in a judgmental sense, but I just see how they are attached to these aspects as inhibiting their true nature or stopping their true nature coming forth. From a scientific perspective there are many things I could elaborate on regarding the processes that go on in the body when these feelings occur. So I look to prayer in the Christian faith as this window to let in the holy spirit and wonder if it's just a Sunday session in the pews, or a daily connection to God, or literally every breath can be centered on the lord, I belive that this was original prayer, being at one with god with every breath. I know from the Christian faith that the mystics had similar experiences and I found it interesting to note that most saints and mystics from all faiths were vegetarian which is inline with my own experience. So I curiously ask what is it that they felt, and what mechanisms allowed this indwelling if indeed that's what it was. I also feel I know my true self or nature, call it soul if you wish, this aspect that is divine, or conneted to the divine and to know this is to see that God condemns nobody and that we are products of our own creation and that this true nature or self is there within everybody just hidden under layers of our thoughts, desires, mind attachments, and selfish driven agendas. I literally cannot hold any judgement for another, nor can I deem myself more worthy than a blade of grass that feeds a cow in a field. I see my life as a total gift, even though it's more of a challenge than before ( observing these weaknesses) I see the bad in people as a mask that they wear, hidden beneath is this wonderful nature that has been suppressed by this collective dog eat dog agenda which is born of civilization, driven or lured towards the collective death to spirit that Jesus was trying to teach us to move away from. Also I feel this intense draw to the life of Jesus, before he was a good bloke who obviously was kind and all, now I see him as this profound rock of a man taking on the status quo knowing that to do so would mean death. For what? So that we could follow his way and be born of spirit. That said I am careful not to say I know the ways of God, but only to know my true self or nature, that doesn't mean that it is not a mighty challenge to bring that into my daily life as it challenges not only my ego self and/or old self but also other peoples ego's and self's.

Greetings once again Eyes wide Open!!
Thank you for responding to my request. I see you have much to say and it appears that you give careful consideration in your responses. Lets see....where would be a good starting point? Perhaps the title of the thread. Concerning the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, where does He take up residence to "indwell" in us, what are your thoughts?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Clearly, the Holy Spirit is not simply a force, some amorphous energy without personality or consciousness. He imparts to us spiritual life and teaches us the deeper spiritual truths of God.
What are these truths.
They are many and varied. It would take me a great deal of time to share them all with you.

You cannot have God's Spirit within you unless you have first humbly embraced the truth of your own sinfulness and desperate need of saving from God's holy wrath and have by faith accepted Christ as your Saviour. This is the clear teaching of the Word of God.

May I refer you to post 12 & 17
Yes, you may.

So I look to prayer in the Christian faith as this window to let in the holy spirit and wonder if it's just a Sunday session in the pews, or a daily connection to God, or literally every breath can be centered on the lord, I belive that this was original prayer, being at one with god with every breath.
No one can be "at one" with God. The difference between the Creator and what He has created is infinitely great. We may fellowship with Him, as the Bible teaches, but actual oneness, complete harmony and unity with Him, is impossible. The only one who could claim to be "one with God" was Christ, the Perfect Lamb of God, the Second Person of the Trinity.

There is only one prayer, really, that God will heed from an unrepentant sinner: the prayer of repentance, faith in Christ as Saviour, and submission to God. Until such a prayer is prayed sincerely, God will not hear our prayers.

Isaiah 59:1-2
1 Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, That it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, That it cannot hear.
2 But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.

John 3:35-36
35 The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into His hand.
36 He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

I also feel I know my true self or nature, call it soul if you wish, this aspect that is divine, or conneted to the divine and to know this is to see that God condemns nobody...
The Bible disagrees with you on all that you have written here:

Jeremiah 17:9-10
9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?
10 I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.

2 Corinthians 4:3-4
3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing,
4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

Without the spiritual regeneration that comes via faith in Christ, a person remains blind and deaf to God's truth, and dead spiritually in trespasses and sins (Eph 2:1). The "god of this age," the devil, blinds the minds of those who are not followers of Christ. In addition to all this, the human heart is so deceitful and wicked, as the prophet Jeremiah says, that no human can see clearly their own true nature. Only God sees fully and clearly the truth of our desperately wicked nature.

John 3:17-19
17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Clearly, if the Bible is correct, God does condemn us. Only those who have been "made new" by faith in Christ as Saviour and Lord are free of God's judgment and wrath.

Selah.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I suppose I'm asking what the dynamic aspect is it that allows the holy spirit to enter, and upon entering what constitutes this 'being born again' or born of spirit. I get the feeling a shift in regards how you feel must be relavent.

The "shift" comes from truly realize what a huge debt God has paid for you which results in "...he that is forgiven much Loves much...", so you take on theis Godly type Love as a result of being forgiven of a huge debt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Living in the Light

How may I be a better Christian?
Jan 7, 2012
United States
✟16,371.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
We are all children of God whether we are a primitive tribal person, a peasant in third world country, a learned theologian, or a Pope. The spark of the Divine dwells within all of us no matter what we call ourselves from a particular religion, believer or non-believer. It doesn't matter for God is Omnipresent and we are in God and God in us. The more we add fuel to the spark of the Divine, the more we grow spiritually and the more Christ-like we become. We feed the spark through prayer, meditation, devotion, worship, study of the Word, helping our fellow man with compassionate deeds, and love for all of humanity and God's creation. Have you ever heard the expression that person is "on fire with the Holy Spirit?" The apostles, saints, and many others throughout history could qualify. While the Holy Spirit is freely offered to all, we must eliminate the barriers in our hearts and open the door ("Behold, I stand at the door and knock.")

In my own case, I find that I am far more sensitive to many things these days than in my spiritual wasteland of the past. I now hunger and thirst for any wisdom I may glean from my spiritual practices. I now care more for others, especially babies and animals. It grieves me to see the horrible worldwide conditions that never seem to cease. Jesus' return will be magnificent and holy -- but what do we do in the meantime? Did not Jesus give us his teachings? Why can't we do better?

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
I can see from your posts you are simply trying to understand. To answer your questions:

Yes, prayer is a very important part of my life. It is the way I communicate with Lord. The Bible says to pray "without ceasing." I do not always pray out loud (though I do that to). It's just through-out the day I can pray asking the Lord for help, guidance, strength, (whatever it is I need). Sometimes it happens that I just do what it is I asked for help with, knowing it is the Holy Spirit helping me b/c in my own strength I would not be able. Sometimes I can "hear" (not audibly but more in my heart) the Holy Spirit speaking to my heart. It is difficult to explain with words how this happens except it is by the power of God alone. To be honest it would be difficult to understand for those who do not believe for they do not have the Holy Spirit living in them.

Another key is obedience. That is actually trusting the Holy Spirit enough to do the things He speaks to your heart and not to qench Him. Trust and faith are major parts of the Christian life.
Thanks for being more in depth, without which we can’t move from the objective standard to the subjective experience. You say prayer is to communicate with the lord, you mention obedience, to trust. You ask for help and guidance because on your own you do not have strength enough. There are a couple of key pointers here regarding the indwelling. To connect with God we all must lose part of our self, in that our ego demands that we are right, it will not admit failure and it will always find a way to justify its actions. In acknowledging your inability to cope on your own which may seem to some a weak point of view, a failure of sorts, and yet to do so in a genuine manner is to allow the barrier of your ego self to fall, literally the wall created by yourself which inhibited your connection to God wil be gone or certainly reduced. This allows God to communicate to you, to your heart as you say. When you look at the human body it is one large sender and receiver of information. This is done normally through the senses, through stimulus and response. A simple example would be your eyes reading these words as the stimulus and the response would be an electrical/chemical signalling system creating a response in your brain. God’s stimulus is beyond the senses, in that it cannot be detected by the senses but the response within the body can be, with the way we feel. So you’re feeling God talking to your heart is very insightful. The response from God is felt in your heart even if the stimulus is beyond what you can clarify.

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
Greetings once again Eyes wide Open!!
Thank you for responding to my request. I see you have much to say and it appears that you give careful consideration in your responses. Lets see....where would be a good starting point? Perhaps the title of the thread. Concerning the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, where does He take up residence to "indwell" in us, what are your thoughts?

The indwelling to my mind is an ‘opening up’ to God, in that we create the right environment within the self to allow God to enter to flow within. Our thoughts, actions and mind all play a part. If you look at what SharonL said about her feeling like she was plugged into the light socket. She was asking for help, she was brave enough to acknowledge the very system she was within that was supposed to give her what she needed was not working. God came into her body and opened her up. Upon this opening she was born again, she felt completely different. When you look at the brain and its function, the left hand side of the brain is our logical and reasoning side, our critical thinking and intellect. The right side is our intuitive and creative side. Any indwelling will change the Neural firing in the brain to incorporate correct functioning of our Neural processing. This can be an instant ‘born again feeling’ which is normally felt by people in a dire states of mind where they are broken. You still need to be in a position of acknowledgement though otherwise your own ego or sense of self will still inhibit the process. If you knock the door will open. Mostly the process of ‘opening up’ of being born again to the spirit will happen over time through prayer, mediation, self-reflection. All these aspects are an acknowledgement of ‘something else’ which is to soften the self or ego and to bring down the wall of separation and allow God to come into our lives and allow our true self to come forth. These parts of the brain are used by us all to a lesser or greater degree but to pray or meditate is to create a Neural firing patterns between both parts in that the parts become a whole. This is literally to feel a different person fully functioning. Correct prayer or mediation will allow union within the brain and allow us to function as we were intended, which is to love unconditionally, to be non-judgemental, to be compassionate to all life and to forgive. Also to create, we were born to create the life of our dreams but not at the cost of another’s dream, such is the challenge or responsibility gifted to us as created beings
Prayer today has many applications but I think it’s agreed that this is how a Christian communicates with God and yet why do we see what we see in the world, if all these people are praying and connecting to God. I had a look at the original Hebrew word for prayer and its relation to the Holy Spirit and any possible indwelling. The Hebrew word for prayer is Tefilah, it has two meanings. One translation is to ‘judge one’s self’ and the other meaning it has is to connect or attach. Now we are told within the bible that we are not to Judge another, that only God can do this. So what of judging ourselves, how can we do this if this is God’s job, unless God lies within. Really to judge ourselves is self-reflection, self-analysis, to observe how we operate, it’s an inner journey. Now if we look at the Hebrew word for Holy it is Qodesh, meaning to be set apart. This is commonly thought to be separate, or set apart from the world in God’s truth, and yet how does this apply to the word spirit. Spirit in Hebrew means breath, air or wind. So if I nit this Indwelling of the holy spirit through prayer with its original meaning we have the indwelling of the set apart breath through self-judgement. So at the top I mentioned’ opening up to God’, opening up to this set apart breath and the right environment I speak of is prayer or self-judgement.
This self-judgement is to acknowledge Sin, in essence to acknowledge our selfish ways. This happened to me about 13 years ago upon the birth of my first child. My self-judgement was to declare I needed help, I was a father and a mess of a man. I was not a meditator or a person of prayer at the time but I have to say that over a period of time I became more intuitive and aware of my self-serving actions enabling to move in certain directions and change certain actions.
That was my prayer, that was my self-judgement and I connected or attached to the set apart breath that indwelled within and started its process of change. My breath became at one or connected to the set apart breath creating change within. So this indwelling is a continual self-judgement of our selfish ways allowing connection or attachment to this set apart breath which is God’s work within, bringing us closer to God. Once you can break down the self or ego and your selfish ways and acknowledge that , then every breath can be focussed on, and connected to, this set apart breath which is to create union, which is the indwelling of the holy spirit. But continually we challenge this process of connection to God thorough our thoughts and actions. We are also influenced by others thoughts and actions and their own agenda. They may even be men of faith but if their agenda is at odds with your true self then any embracing of ‘their way’ over ‘the way’ will inhibit or move us away from God. This Hebrew word meaning and the application I have applied excludes nobody, you can be of any faith or none, the applied action and outcome will be the same.

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
They are many and varied. It would take me a great deal of time to share them all with you.

Just a few truths will be fine, one even

No one can be "at one" with God. The difference between the Creator and what He has created is infinitely great. We may fellowship with Him, as the Bible teaches, but actual oneness, complete harmony and unity with Him, is impossible. The only one who could claim to be "one with God" was Christ, the Perfect Lamb of God, the Second Person of the Trinity.

I said a oneness with God, that’s not to say it’s permanent as we all stray away from God through our thoughts, and actions. I would say being in my current form that complete Unity with God was impossible as you say. Certainly Christ from the short timeframe of his life that we know of portrayed this complete unity. It seems his life was the ‘way’

There is only one prayer, really, that God will heed from an unrepentant sinner: the prayer of repentance, faith in Christ as Saviour, and submission to God. Until such a prayer is prayed sincerely, God will not hear our prayers.

Well said. The applied action to the life of Christ will save you from death to the spirit thus submitting to the will of God. Faith in Christ as saviour, is this a ‘now ‘thing or some future event.
The Bible disagrees with you on all that you have written here:

The bible cannot disagree with anything I say, all of it is open to interpretation and that interpretation is a reflection of what we have created within. As I said, God condemns no one. God condemns our actions that separate us from him and any wrath or judgement is to live in this separated state. Once the separation is over so too is the condemnation, wrath and judgement. That is not God condemning us that is us having free will and living apart from God.

Without the spiritual regeneration that comes via faith in Christ, a person remains blind and deaf to God's truth, and dead spiritually in trespasses and sins (Eph 2:1). The "god of this age," the devil, blinds the minds of those who are not followers of Christ. In addition to all this, the human heart is so deceitful and wicked, as the prophet Jeremiah says, that no human can see clearly their own true nature. Only God sees fully and clearly the truth of our desperately wicked nature.

Maybe you could tell me about your spiritual regeneration that you speak of, how were you blind that now you see.
I would suggest that Jeremiah was very wise indeed with the verse that you posted, but if God reveals your true nature to you then I would suggest that it is known. But that would be to deny all the deceitful, wicked and devil like aspects of your old or other nature and that is an uncomfortable place, as they say ‘ignorance is bliss’, to live in the light of truth is simple but not easy and thus rejected by most and myself, much and often, but that does not mean I have not had my true nature revealed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
The "shift" comes from truly realize what a huge debt God has paid for you which results in "...he that is forgiven much Loves much...", so you take on theis Godly type Love as a result of being forgiven of a huge debt.

I’m not really comfortable with the debt analogy although I get what you are saying. Again I see what you say as an acknowledgement of forgiveness, God as a forgiving God, but how do you know this. Is it because you have been told this, or is it because all you have in your heart for others is forgiveness. This verse has real relevance in this context.

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
We are all children of God whether we are a primitive tribal person, a peasant in third world country, a learned theologian, or a Pope. The spark of the Divine dwells within all of us no matter what we call ourselves from a particular religion, believer or non-believer. It doesn't matter for God is Omnipresent and we are in God and God in us. The more we add fuel to the spark of the Divine, the more we grow spiritually and the more Christ-like we become. We feed the spark through prayer, meditation, devotion, worship, study of the Word, helping our fellow man with compassionate deeds, and love for all of humanity and God's creation. Have you ever heard the expression that person is "on fire with the Holy Spirit?" The apostles, saints, and many others throughout history could qualify. While the Holy Spirit is freely offered to all, we must eliminate the barriers in our hearts and open the door ("Behold, I stand at the door and knock.")

Indeed this ‘on fire with the holy spirit’ sounds a good vibe. Certainly there have been times when I have felt a ‘totality of being’. Once when I was meditating I literally felt like a ball of flowing energy. I was scared at the intensity of this feeling and had to stop. Others will read those words and make a conclusion that it was not God, or not the holy Spirit, but unless they can tell me what the holy spirit is, they can’t tell me what it’s not. The ones that climb down off the fence and give an honest appraisal of what they feel, I find their experience mirrors mine, although we are all at different stages of ‘adding fuel to the spark’ as you say.

In my own case, I find that I am far more sensitive to many things these days than in my spiritual wasteland of the past. I now hunger and thirst for any wisdom I may glean from my spiritual practices. I now care more for others, especially babies and animals. It grieves me to see the horrible worldwide conditions that never seem to cease. Jesus' return will be magnificent and holy -- but what do we do in the meantime? Did not Jesus give us his teachings? Why can't we do better?

Well said.

Of this return of Jesus, do you see this a a literal happening or do you see this return as Jesus being re-born in the hearts and minds of the individual.

Upvote 0

brittany111

Feb 18, 2012
TX
✟7,958.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for being more in depth, without which we can’t move from the objective standard to the subjective experience. You say prayer is to communicate with the lord, you mention obedience, to trust. You ask for help and guidance because on your own you do not have strength enough. There are a couple of key pointers here regarding the indwelling. To connect with God we all must lose part of our self, in that our ego demands that we are right, it will not admit failure and it will always find a way to justify its actions. In acknowledging your inability to cope on your own which may seem to some a weak point of view, a failure of sorts, and yet to do so in a genuine manner is to allow the barrier of your ego self to fall, literally the wall created by yourself which inhibited your connection to God wil be gone or certainly reduced. This allows God to communicate to you, to your heart as you say. When you look at the human body it is one large sender and receiver of information. This is done normally through the senses, through stimulus and response. A simple example would be your eyes reading these words as the stimulus and the response would be an electrical/chemical signalling system creating a response in your brain. God’s stimulus is beyond the senses, in that it cannot be detected by the senses but the response within the body can be, with the way we feel. So you’re feeling God talking to your heart is very insightful. The response from God is felt in your heart even if the stimulus is beyond what you can clarify.

This is because God is Spirit, not flesh. It is our Spirit that responds to God. I must say though it may begin with a feeling it is more than a feeling. Our e-motions are a part of our soul and not our spirit. It is our spirit that desires to connect with God. Our soul and flesh gets in the way. That is why there is much written in the New Testament about obedience and living in the Spirit. It goes beyond what we feel to what we “know” in our spirits to be true (what we “hear” from the Holy Spirit.) [For example, when I was going through a very difficult trial in my life-only a year ago-my feelings told me that I was alone and no one cared. The Holy Spirit told me that I was loved and God cared and that He was using all that was happening for my good.] That is why you hear Christians say “we live by faith not by sight,” or “we live by the Word of God and not by what we feel.”

Yes, it takes trust and obedience. I know that in my own strength I will fail every time, but that doesn’t stop me from quenching the spirit and trying it on my own. The whole of a Christian life is trust. We trust Jesus that He is the son of God, we trust the Bible that it is the Word of God, and we trust the Holy Spirit to “lead us into all truth.” Obedience is a product of trust. If I completely trust Jesus for life and salvation, the Holy Spirit as my guide, and that the Father has my best interest at heart I will live in obedience to God. I will obey because I trust.

(Concerning your comments about losing yourself) Perhaps, but I feel that in Christ I have truly found myself. My sins and inadequacies have been wiped away and I am able to be simply me-as I was created to love, live, and commune with the Father. But only in Christ can I find this love and this life, because only through acceptance of His sacrifice am I forgiven and my sins wiped away. And only in Christ am I able to do the things I am called to do. For without Christ I am nothing, but with Him I can do all things!

Many non-believers see Christians as weak because of our dependence upon Christ and the Holy Spirit, but we see it as strength. It takes a strong person to admit where they are wrong or fail. And it is preciously this strength (admitting our sin) that brings us to Christ, for without repentance we cannot receive forgiveness and it is forgiveness that allows us communion with the Father.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Eyes Wide Open,
As I continue reading this thread, something is not sitting comfortably in my spirit. I want to ask you this directly: Do you believe that Jesus is the one and only savior sent by God to bring every one of us humans into right relationship with God?

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
Eyes Wide Open,
As I continue reading this thread, something is not sitting comfortably in my spirit. I want to ask you this directly: Do you believe that Jesus is the one and only savior sent by God to bring every one of us humans into right relationship with God?

Yes I do, but certainly others have led a Christ like life and are worthy carriers of the light. What of the message they bring. You talk of right relationship with God and yet what of those that have the wrong one but decalre themselves Christian, what of their salvation, I ask you directly.

Upvote 0