Indwelling of the holy spirit

Eyes wide Open

Love and peace is the ONLY foundation-to build....
Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith

This is because God is Spirit, not flesh. It is our Spirit that responds to God. I must say though it may begin with a feeling it is more than a feeling. Our e-motions are a part of our soul and not our spirit. It is our spirit that desires to connect with God. Our soul and flesh gets in the way. That is why there is much written in the New Testament about obedience and living in the Spirit. It goes beyond what we feel to what we “know” in our spirits to be true (what we “hear” from the Holy Spirit.) [For example, when I was going through a very difficult trial in my life-only a year ago-my feelings told me that I was alone and no one cared. The Holy Spirit told me that I was loved and God cared and that He was using all that was happening for my good.] That is why you hear Christians say “we live by faith not by sight,” or “we live by the Word of God and not by what we feel.”

Yes, it takes trust and obedience. I know that in my own strength I will fail every time, but that doesn’t stop me from quenching the spirit and trying it on my own. The whole of a Christian life is trust. We trust Jesus that He is the son of God, we trust the Bible that it is the Word of God, and we trust the Holy Spirit to “lead us into all truth.” Obedience is a product of trust. If I completely trust Jesus for life and salvation, the Holy Spirit as my guide, and that the Father has my best interest at heart I will live in obedience to God. I will obey because I trust.

(Concerning your comments about losing yourself) Perhaps, but I feel that in Christ I have truly found myself. My sins and inadequacies have been wiped away and I am able to be simply me-as I was created to love, live, and commune with the Father. But only in Christ can I find this love and this life, because only through acceptance of His sacrifice am I forgiven and my sins wiped away. And only in Christ am I able to do the things I am called to do. For without Christ I am nothing, but with Him I can do all things!

Many non-believers see Christians as weak because of our dependence upon Christ and the Holy Spirit, but we see it as strength. It takes a strong person to admit where they are wrong or fail. And it is preciously this strength (admitting our sin) that brings us to Christ, for without repentance we cannot receive forgiveness and it is forgiveness that allows us communion with the Father.

I must thank you for your comments, I agree with much of what you have said. Time is short and so must my answers be. :)

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes I do, but certainly others have led a Christ like life and are worthy carriers of the light. What of the message they bring.
Hmm, I think what you are talking about is people who are not sent by the Father Yahweh, like Gandhi, for example. Gandhi did not lead people to relationship with the Father. There is only one Messiah - Jesus. He is the Light, and his followers carry the Light. Other lights are at best imitations and do not show the way to the Father. None of us humans are "worthy carriers of the Light" because of the good things we do. Not even Gandhi.
You talk of right relationship with God and yet what of those that have the wrong one but decalre themselves Christian, what of their salvation, I ask you directly.
I'm afraid you're asking the wrong person. I cannot tell you what is in a person's heart unless the Father reveals it.

blessings
tal

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
Hmm, I think what you are talking about is people who are not sent by the Father Yahweh, like Gandhi, for example. Gandhi did not lead people to relationship with the Father. There is only one Messiah - Jesus. He is the Light, and his followers carry the Light. Other lights are at best imitations and do not show the way to the Father. None of us humans are "worthy carriers of the Light" because of the good things we do. Not even Gandhi.

You say that Jesus followers carry the light, but that following carries no 'icon labeling'. It is one who follows the way. I think the word 'whoever' below is relavent. Dictionary.com, whoever- any person, anyone that, no matter who.

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

I'm afraid you're asking the wrong person. I cannot tell you what is in a person's heart unless the Father reveals it.

Given your answer I would say you were just the right person for me to ask, because that is my answer also.:)

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,962.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m not really comfortable with the debt analogy although I get what you are saying. Again I see what you say as an acknowledgement of forgiveness, God as a forgiving God, but how do you know this. Is it because you have been told this, or is it because all you have in your heart for others is forgiveness. This verse has real relevance in this context.

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.”
The Bible uses the debt analogy, so I did not come up with it. Our sins are against God and really Him alone, so we owe God. Before being forgiven, my conscience bothered me, because of the hurting of others in the past and today my past transgressions that hurt others do not cause me any pain and in fact have become assets in my life. My past sins, become part of my witness giving the way I was before accepting God’s forgiveness and the way I am now. That does not mean I should sin all the more, because now I have a changed new life with the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
The Bible uses the debt analogy, so I did not come up with it. Our sins are against God and really Him alone, so we owe God. Before being forgiven, my conscience bothered me, because of the hurting of others in the past and today my past transgressions that hurt others do not cause me any pain and in fact have become assets in my life. My past sins, become part of my witness giving the way I was before accepting God’s forgiveness and the way I am now. That does not mean I should sin all the more, because now I have a changed new life with the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Yes I see what your mean. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They are many and varied. It would take me a great deal of time to share them all with you.
Just a few truths will be fine, one even

Uh, okay...Here's one:

John 15:4-5
4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
5 I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

This is among the most profound of the spiritual truths of the Christian faith - at least on a practical daily-living level.

I said a oneness with God, that’s not to say it’s permanent as we all stray away from God through our thoughts, and actions. I would say being in my current form that complete Unity with God was impossible as you say. Certainly Christ from the short timeframe of his life that we know of portrayed this complete unity. It seems his life was the ‘way’

Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by "oneness." Aligning yourself with God's truth is a kind of oneness, I suppose, but not the sort of oneness of nature or kind which Christ claimed He had with God. You would have to be God to make such a claim, which is something none of us will ever be.

The applied action to the life of Christ will save you from death to the spirit thus submitting to the will of God. Faith in Christ as saviour, is this a ‘now ‘thing or some future event.

Um, this doesn't make much sense..."The applied action to the life of Christ"? What action are you talking about? And how is it applied to the life of Christ? Why or how does this "applied action" save you from "death to the spirit"? And how is all this connected to submitting to the will of God?

The Bible disagrees with you on all that you have written here:

The bible cannot disagree with anything I say, all of it is open to interpretation and that interpretation is a reflection of what we have created within.

On what authority do you make such a claim? Do you apply this same rule of interpretation to, say, stop signs, or towing-zone warnings, or poison warning labels? In fact, much of what is written in the Bible, as often as not, has only a single appropriate interpretation. If the contents of the Bible may be interpreted to mean anything, it becomes essentially meaningless. Imagine if people regarded a stop sign this way. What if driver Dan interpreted the sign to mean "speed up," or motorist Mary decided it meant "eat your vegetables," or speedster Sally chose to believe it said "everyone else will stop for me"? And imagine if they all met at the same stop sign at the same time! Clearly, not everything that is written is open to personal interpretation. This is most certainly true of the Bible.

As I said, God condemns no one. God condemns our actions that separate us from him and any wrath or judgement is to live in this separated state.

Can't I simply dismiss this as just your interpretation? I mean, if the Bible simply reflects who we are and what we think, how does your view have any authority outside of yourself? If everything is ultimately a matter of subjective interpretation, whose to say what the Bible does or does not say?

Maybe you could tell me about your spiritual regeneration that you speak of, how were you blind that now you see.

I haven't the time to write out the whole process. Suffice it to say, God did for me what you describe below.

I would suggest that Jeremiah was very wise indeed with the verse that you posted, but if God reveals your true nature to you then I would suggest that it is known.

I would agree. This is what God does with every person He draws out of darkness into His marvellous light through the divine act of regeneration.

Selah.

Upvote 0