Sep 29, 2015
✟17,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I know this is my third post on this topic, but i am really struggling with doubts. I have even began to question myself if I was an atheist which is something I do not want to be. Why can't I just believe. People make it sound so easy. For me it has not been that easy. What is wrong with me.I have come to the point where I try to avoid thinking about my doubts or about the Crucifixion and resurrection. Please help. I'm about to the point of tears or just giving up or something.

David Hunter

Be passionate about pursuing your purpose in life.
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟335,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When the 10 disciples told Thomas they saw the risen Christ, he doubted and said, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it." (John 20:24-29)

Maybe you're trying to hard to believe? Take a breather.

Here's two books I recommend for you: 1. The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel, and 2. I don't Have Enough FAITH to Be an ATHEIST by Normal Geisler and Frank Turek.

Read them in that order. I don't Have Enough FAITH to Be an ATHEIST is a little harder to read and understand, that's why I recommend reading it after you've read The Case for Christ.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know this is my third post on this topic, but i am really struggling with doubts. I have even began to question myself if I was an atheist which is something I do not want to be. Why can't I just believe. People make it sound so easy. For me it has not been that easy. What is wrong with me.I have come to the point where I try to avoid thinking about my doubts or about the Crucifixion and resurrection. Please help. I'm about to the point of tears or just giving up or something.
Hi there, it is not good to be in a state of uncertainty and discomfort, and we all like to help you with that. As I gave attention to your problem yesterday, I thought the following question in this post is necessary to ask, because it will help to identify the root cause. Now though, seeing that it has not been answered, I am wondering whether you just did not see the question, or did you not like it? If you can respond to me, I will know whether I should continue to give thought toward your problem. Thank you.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like every true believer in Christ, one needs to think about a relationship with the Savior ---Jesus, the Christ of God, and this does not come for anyone (even WITH any one friend) without personal contact. If it is only academic and rational, one will not know the Savior. We need to accept God at His Word, and not be trying to intellectualize faith.

One needs to prayfully read the Gospels and seek God's mind to what He says ---see all of the Gospel by John for a beginning, and note the Epistle to the Romans to see our spiritual condition. Do not just trust ideas we might have!

If one confesses their sinful nature and sinful life to God, as He requires, and receives His salvation in His beloved Son as God says, making the Lord Jesus your own Savior and Lord of your life, you WILL be saved; and the Holy Spirit will come in and seal you as a "child of God". That is the essence of Christian salvation. One can then make the Lord Jesus your best Friend and walk and talk with Him always, daily, and forever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Countryangel707

Sep 29, 2015
✟17,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Like every true believer in Christ, one needs to think about a relationship with the Savior ---Jesus, the Christ of God, and this does not come for anyone (even WITH any one friend) without personal contact. If it is only academic and rational, one will not know the Savior. We need to accept God at His Word, and not be trying to intellectualize faith.

One needs to prayfully read the Gospels and seek God's mind to what He says ---see all of the Gospel by John for a beginning, and note the Epistle to the Romans to see our spiritual condition. Do not just trust ideas we might have!

If one confesses their sinful nature and sinful life to God, as He requires, and receives His salvation in His beloved Son as God says, making the Lord Jesus your own Savior and Lord of your life, you WILL be saved; and the Holy Spirit will come in and seal you as a "child of God". That is the essence of Christian salvation. One can then make the Lord Jesus your best Friend and walk and talk with Him always, daily, and forever.
how do i recieve His salvation? ive prayed mulriple times but feel no different.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please re-read my post, friend! It isn't about what you have done, but what the Savior has done. You need to receive Him. Praying is important, but believing and trusting is what God calls us to do. One needs to quit self, and yield to God in faith. IT IS A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP, NOT A FORMULA! If you really want Jesus Christ in your life, then tell Him you are now receiving Him (if you mean it) then thank Him (daily) for His sacrifice on the Cross for you.

Would you just keep asking one for a promised gift, when he holds it out to you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Countryangel707

Sep 29, 2015
✟17,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Please re-read my post, friend! It isn't about what you have done, but what the Savior has done. You need to receive Him. Praying is important, but believing and trusting is what God calls us to do. One needs to quit self, and yield to God in faith. IT IS A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP, NOT A FORMULA! If you really want Jesus Christ in your life, then tell Him you are now receiving Him (if you mean it) then thank Him (daily) for His sacrifice on the Cross for you.

Would you just keep asking one for a promised gift, when he holds it out to you?
i just prayed snd told Him that i was recieving Him but i dont feel any differnt. am i doing something wrong?

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

It's okay to have doubts. Doubts don't mean you're an atheist, they mean you're human. We all have questions & we all have struggles, if all persons of faith were completely honest. Can you be more specific with what's troubling you?

It's also okay if you don't "feel" a certain way. Feelings are fickle, & they don't reflect whether you have faith.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I need to do, Country Angel, is trust God. And Jesus Christ is the Lord of all, and Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins, and Jesus rose from the dead on the third day. Jesus is God's own Son who is our Savior. So, we need Jesus; and we need to trust Jesus to do with us what He knows we need. So, you can't straighten your own self out, but trust Jesus to do all that He knows He wants with you :)

If you have a major health problem which requires surgery, you will feel different after the surgery makes you better. So, yes, our feelings are different after God has corrected us to live in His love and His guiding. All of us are "called in one body" to obey how God rules us in His own peace >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

So, becoming a Christian includes denying our own selves so we are trusting and obeying how our Father corrects us (Hebrews 12:4-11) and rules us in His own peace. And Jesus wants us to love any and all people > "For if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" (in Matthew 5:46) If you get into living in God's all-loving love, you will feel differently, but the feelings are the "caboose"! :)

Therefore, people are right to say not to go only by your feelings. Because, there are times while God is correcting us, and His correction is "painful" > Hebrews 12:4-11; however, we need to actively seek our Father for this correction so we can get real with Him and find out how to love.

"'Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:29)

Jesus here calls to "all" > so . . . "all" includes you! So, Jesus knows how you are doing; He has compassion about how people are laboring and "heavy laden" in our selfishness and sin; so He cares about how you feel. And He has hope for you more than you have hope for yourself :)

Upvote 0

terryjohn

Sep 26, 2014
✟8,626.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I never thought that I needed to believe anything about what Christ did or did not do, for my focus was always on the truth of what he said and on reading them I could not deny the reality of sin in my life and how hopeless my situation was with out Christ. All the details are secondary concerns for after reading his words and you cannot even begin to hope for this Chirst, we are of all men most misrable. I love the power of his words to convict me of sin and if his words ring true why then would he lie about his power over death? The truth of Christ is made manifest in my guilt and the abundance of evil confirms his assessment of our situation. In truth no man has ever spoken as he has. Personally, I am jealous for all things of God. Where is God? He is our desperate desire for him, he is in our righteous indignation at injustices and his spirit is upon us in our conviction of our unworthiness. Having experienced such, who can say where is God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i just prayed snd told Him that i was recieving Him but i dont feel any differnt. am i doing something wrong?
If you were in truth receiving Him, you have the promise of His presence; now, acknowledge Him, thank Him, and go forth settled by walking and talking with Him always. DON'T KEEP SECOND-GUESSING THIS! Jesus said: "Lo, I am with you always". Be at peace!

Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0

papabear4811

Sep 30, 2015
✟7,635.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Countryangel707 said:
"I know this is my third post on this topic, but i am really struggling with doubts. I have even began to question myself if I was an atheist which is something I do not want to be. Why can't I just believe. People make it sound so easy. For me it has not been that easy. What is wrong with me.I have come to the point where I try to avoid thinking about my doubts or about the Crucifixion and resurrection. Please help. I'm about to the point of tears or just giving up or something."

Countryangel,

We all have doubts sometimes. Its not really about your faith or much or how little - how weak or strong - but about Who you have faith in. I recently heard about this formula - SOAP - get a journal and have a Bible. Praise a little first and let the Lord know you want to listen - spend a little time reading a short passage of Scripture - think about it Observe - Analyze - write down your thoughts and then pray - I started with Matthew because we are doing that book - just started , at church.

Before I write a read the Life Application Bible Commentary on that passage. I have an extensive Bible study program/ resources but LABC really works for me for this and is enough. How long - could be a few minutes - maybe 10-15 - but over time this should help you - don't get discouraged. Remember its more about Who you have faith in - Jesus isn't going to let you go! He'll grow your faith and strengthen it and use it to win others.

Upvote 0

Dr.J0sh

Jul 22, 2015
✟15,345.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Wow I feel the same way. All these things in the bible that together make you truly question your beliefs. They really do take a tole. However from what I've gathered after being here is the way in which you read/translate the bible. I've been told that the bible does have metaphors/fiction. However the way you know which parts are literal and which aren't is up for debate. Some take it completely literal some don't. I myself am a very literal person sonkagbe that's I can't truly wrap my head around the bible. Also we all fall and have doubts, some more than others. You just make try to solve them k guess. Don't take it from me though I'm not even a Christian I could be completely wrong...

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Modern people are confused by their education and the day to day plague of the so called science. They demand everything to be evidenced for them to believe. They try equate everything as some sort of science. This is however not what this reality is.

To start breaking this confusion, you need to first know the nature of what history is. The exclusive way for humans to get to know history is for someone (a witness) to write it down, then for others to read with faith. You can anytime reject any parts of any written history, especially those written 2000 years ago. This is so because history by nature demands faith to believe.

This process is called human witnessing. Human witnessing demands faith to believe, however it's the only way for humans to record historical events and figures. Nowadays we have video and photos to enhance our witnessing but not in ancient times.

If you are comparing any history book older than 2000 years with the Bible, the Bible is in a more accurate form. If you apply the same criticisms to the Bible to other history books, you will see that the same reason you choose to reject the Bible will invalidate 99% human history at the same time.

The believability of history over the Bible doesn't come in the way how they are recorded, as the same methodology (i.e., human witnessing) is employed. The difference lies in the supernatural encounters described. They are less believable because we cannot speculate what is said directly. It's less believable by no means says that they are not true.

To put it another way, even when those supernatural encounters are true, the only way for such a truth to be conveyed among humans is through human witnessing. That is, even when they are true, the only way to record such a truth is to assign some humans to write them down for later humans to read and believe with faith.

An analogy is that, flat earth is actually more believable to ancient humans, such as those in stone age, than a round earth suspended on nothing. The existence of black holes will be myth to those living in stone age. It however by no means says that the round earth and black holes are not truths. They are less believable to humans in stone age because humans in stone age cannot speculate what today's science can confirm.

Spiritual truths relative to today's humans could well be scientific truths relative to humans in stone age.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kate84

Sep 14, 2015
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi, I've been struggling with doubts too. I second David Hunter's suggestion of 'The case for Christ', although I watched the Youtube documentary rather than read it.
There is a fair bit of evidence that proves the truth of the bible if you search for it, but I'm finding that reading the scriptures daily and praying lots and spending time on this site is strengthening my faith.
I hope it gets better for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Simple intellectual assent to the existence of God isn't going to do you or anyone any good. That doesn't cut it. You have to get up, come and see, and then 'do'. What people don't want to tell you because it isn't a pat and easy answer: You must be baptized into Christ. You must go to church. You must partake of the Holy Mysteries/Sacraments. You must live a life in Christ and participate in the life of the Church (this includes good works, prayer, et cetera). You must endure to the end. There is no such thing as altar call theology.

"If you wish to save your soul and win eternal life, arise from your lethargy, make the sign of the Cross and say: In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. Amen. Faith comes not through pondering but through action. Not words and speculation but experience teaches us what God is. To let in fresh air we have to open a window; to get tanned we must go out into the sunshine. Achieving faith is no different; we never reach a goal by just sitting in comfort and waiting, say the Holy Fathers. Let the Prodigal Son be our example. He "arose and came."" (Luke 15:20).
~Tito Colliander The Way of the Ascetics.

"Faith, like active prayer, is a grace. For prayer, when activated by love through the power of the Spirit, renders true faith manifest - the faith that reveals the life of Jesus. If, then, you are aware that such faith is not at work within you, that means your faith is dead and lifeless. In fact you should not even speak of yourself as one of the 'faithful' if your faith is merely theoretical and not actualized by the practice of the commandments or by the Spirit. Thus faith must be evidenced by progress in keeping the commandments, or it must be actualized and translucent in what we do. This is confirmed by St. James when he says, 'Show me your faith through your works and I will show you the works that I do through my faith.'" (cf. Jas. 2:18.)
~St. Gregory of Sinai, The Philokalia, Vol. 4.

(The entire documentary is on youtube. It's pretty good.)

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I haven't read your other threads but what often happens to people when they doubt is that they become conformed to that upon which they focus. Race car drivers have talked about not looking at the walls bordering the race track because when they do, they move toward them (and sometimes into them!). We do the same sort of thing with doubt. When we focus on it, we move into it. And the more we do so, the more doubt shapes our thinking and behaviour until, finally, all that remains is doubt.

So, what's the remedy? Change your focus. Fill your mind with the facts, the truth, of the Resurrection of Christ. Give them time and space to take root in your thinking. Former cold-case homicide detective J. Warner Wallace has written a great book about the Resurrection. It's entitled, "A Cold Case Approach to the Resurrection." In his book he details the methods and strategies used to solve cold-case homicides and applies them to the historical account of Christ's death, burial and resurrection. His conclusions may help you gain confidence in the veracity of the biblical accounts of Christ's resurrection. You may also be benefited by checking out the following websites:

www.reasonablefaith.org
www.str.org

Both of these sites offer very good reasons to believe the Resurrection actually took place as the Gospels describe.

Selah.

Last edited:
Reactions: lunabeam
Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

Hi,

No. You don't have to feel it. You have done nothing wrong. Trust. It is so. Even now, there are days, when I don't feel. Not feeling is important to God for you. In the mean time do what I do maybe, go off the deep end, get upset, be sure that you are not saved, be sure that there is no God, dislike intensely the non intimate contact with God, want more, ask for more, expect nothing, then wait, and wait. Cry, but do not forget that His feelings can be hurt also.

You are fine with God, with what you have said here. I once, like you offered something up to God, when I was a newbie, with God. I don't think when I did that, just like you, I had zero assurances my offer was listened to. Fifteen years later or so, at least that is how long it felt, I knew not only that the offerr was accepted, but on that day, knowing the offer was accepted, allowed me to do what I also did not feel. That day I was on an assignment for God, but did not feel that either, back then.

If, you did what you say you did here, You are totally accepted, by The Whole Trinity.

LOVE,

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have come to the point where I try to avoid thinking about my doubts or about the Crucifixion and resurrection. Please help. I'm about to the point of tears or just giving up or something.
The crucifixion of Christ and His resurrection are HISTORICAL FACTS. So do you make it a habit to doubt historical facts? Or do you simple accept that these things happened even though you were not an eye witness?

Faith is simply believing God and believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. If you can believe the weatherman (who is fallible) and dress accordingly, why should you not believe God, who is infallible?

There are historical facts, but there are also theological facts, and spiritual facts. And it has nothing to do with your feelings. The fact is that Christ died for all your personal sins, and He rose again for your justification (to declare that you are righteous). If we believe what God has said about His Son ("the record" in Scripture), and if we believe on the Lord Jesus Christ (that He is indeed God who became Man to take away our sins) and receive Him as Lord and Savior, then we will be saved, AND THAT'S A FACT (Rom 10:8-13).

Perhaps your doubts are connected with whether or not you truly believe that you are sinner (as is every person) and that you need to repent (turn away from your sins and idols) and turn to Christ. Jesus said "Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish". So repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ is what God expects from you. That is called OBEDIENCE TO THE GOSPEL or "the obedience of faith" (Rom 16:26).

If you were in the army, and you received a command from above, you would simply obey it without questioning. Well God now commands all men (women, and children) everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30). You simply obey without questioning and without doubting. You said you have already received Christ by faith. Have you truly repented and have you sought to be baptized as a believer? And have you made Christ the Lord (Master) of your life? Only you can answer those questions, and they are not meant for a public discussion but a private obedience of faith.

Upvote 0