Not Applicable
Oct 10, 2015
Republic of Texas
✟7,878.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know this is my third post on this topic, but i am really struggling with doubts. I have even began to question myself if I was an atheist which is something I do not want to be. Why can't I just believe. People make it sound so easy. For me it has not been that easy. What is wrong with me.I have come to the point where I try to avoid thinking about my doubts or about the Crucifixion and resurrection. Please help. I'm about to the point of tears or just giving up or something.

I see you have tons of suggestions. One more - this was a movie that made a very deep impression on me when I was a seeker. The movie is in Russian with English subtitles. Give it about 20 minutes before you decide to stop watching if you think you won't like it.

Part I:
Part II:

May God keep you!

Upvote 0

Countryangel707

Sep 29, 2015
✟17,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think I am just really confused about the difference between mentally accepting the faths and accepting them with your heart(saving faith). I am also confused where some people say repentance is required and some say it is not required to be saved.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
I think I am just really confused about the difference between mentally accepting the faths and accepting them with your heart(saving faith). I am also confused where some people say repentance is required and some say it is not required to be saved.

Hi,

Sometimes people come to the belief in Jesus, from one way.
Sometimes people come to the belief in Jesus, from anothere way.
Sometimes people come to the belief in Jesus and His Father and The Holy Spirit from another way.

I think you have said, your knowledge of God is only mental, and you would like it to be more full.

LOVE,

Upvote 0

alisonm328

Jan 30, 2015
So
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please send me a private message i believe i can help you! Stay strong and dont give up! Our weapon is the word. Memorize and say outloud daily verses, a good one to start with is 1 John 4:4 "Dear one, youre from God and you belong to Him. You have already overcome your enemies because He who lives in you is greater than he who lives in the world." send me a message! Praying for you!

Upvote 0

Countryangel707

Sep 29, 2015
✟17,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Please send me a private message i believe i can help you! Stay strong and dont give up! Our weapon is the word. Memorize and say outloud daily verses, a good one to start with is 1 John 4:4 "Dear one, youre from God and you belong to Him. You have already overcome your enemies because He who lives in you is greater than he who lives in the world." send me a message! Praying for you!
how do i pm you?

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know this is my third post on this topic, but i am really struggling with doubts. I have even began to question myself if I was an atheist which is something I do not want to be. Why can't I just believe. People make it sound so easy. For me it has not been that easy. What is wrong with me.I have come to the point where I try to avoid thinking about my doubts or about the Crucifixion and resurrection. Please help. I'm about to the point of tears or just giving up or something.

There is no doubt that a personal intelligent theistic Creator is behind our personal intelligent infused reality ; its just that you haven't seen him person to person yet but hes making himself known to humanity daily. Don't doubt...instead trust and ask him to reveal more of himself to you daily -- he will if you are sincere about it which I believe are. Read this debate I had from a purely logical and reasoned aspect m then start going to church where you can grow in God : http://www.christianforums.com/t7813978/ : Is an atheistic worldview credible ?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I would say that repentance is required. But you need to be careful not to turn that into some kind of legalism.

Jesus’ core concept is being a follower. He called on people to repent and follow him. In that context repent means to turn from living as a self-contained person to living as his follower. That is, it’s a change in orientation.

But I’d make some caveats:
  • Jesus was talking to people who weren’t followers. As a posting above notes, people come to Jesus differently. I grew up as a Christian. Therefore I didn’t really ever have to change my basic orientation. I still need to make the same basic commitment, but I never had the experience that some people do of making a big change in their lives.
  • This shouldn’t be understood in a legalistic fashion. That is, God isn’t sitting up there with a list of your sins, looking for one that you didn’t repent from. When Jesus spoke about repenting and following him, it’s pretty clear that he meant a general commitment, and not checking off boxes. The legalistic understanding of repentance is one of the key things that caused Luther to come to his understanding of grace. He could never believe that he had properly repented of all his sins. He was afraid that he had missed one, or that his repentance wasn’t sincere enough. But that’s not what Jesus meant
  • People experience it differently. Some people have an emotional experience of being convicted of sin (to use traditional language). But Christianity ultimately isn’t about a specific kind of religious experience. It’s about following Jesus. And remember that this is the Jesus who said that people can be forgiven even if they do the same thing wrong 7 times a day.

Upvote 0

Ashley83miller

Oct 18, 2015
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think if you want to be a christian, then you do believe.... everyone has doubts who is a believer in Christ. I believe it is the doubts you need to look at and not be afraid to find the answers and it will take time I am in the same boat... Just keep seeking Jesus and don't be afraid to look on the inside. I believe it is hard to look at your heart honestly but if you do, then you have the chance to change what you see that you don't like. Hope this has helped.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Do you know the 10 Commandments?

Do you know that the Bible says that ANYONE who breaks even one of the 10 Commandments is a sinner?

God is holy (no sin) and we are sinners (not holy) and a holy God cannot have sin. Do you see the problem here?

So, the issue that separates us from God & Jesus is this sin problem.

Jesus died for the sins of ALL the world, right? So on the cross, He took all the sin upon Him. Both the sins of those who love Him and the sins of those who do not love or believe in Him. Jesus died for your sins (breaking any one or more of the 10 Commandments).

So, we repent to Jesus because we acknowledge to Him that we have broken one or more of His Commandments and we know that sin separates us from God. Part of coming to God is to admit and say that you know you have sin, right? And to know that you need to get rid of this sin to be with God & Jesus, right?

So repenting is telling Jesus that you know that you have sinned and that sin is wrong in His eyes and according to the law of holiness.

Then, Jesus will forgive your sin (all of them), so when the Father who is holy (no sin) looks at you He does not see all the ugly sinful things that you have done. Do you know what the Father then see's when He looks at you? He see's His perfect Son, Jesus Christ who has always loved the Father and followed His will.

And because the Father see's His Son, who is holy the fact that Jesus is our advocate, the Father see's us the same way as He see's Jesus.

Isn't that amazing?

That is why we repent, because part of asking for forgiveness of sin is admitting that you have sinned and have a sin problem.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: katerinah1947
Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

Do you know that the Bible says that ANYONE who breaks even one of the 10 Commandments is a sinner?

God is holy (no sin) and we are sinners (not holy) and a holy God cannot have sin. Do you see the problem here?

Jesus died for the sins of ALL the world, right? So on the cross, He took all the sin upon Him. Both the sins of those who love Him and the sins of those who do not love or believe in Him. Jesus died for your sins (breaking any one or more of the 10 Commandments).

So, we repent to Jesus because we acknowledge to Him that we have broken one or more of His Commandments and we know that sin separates us from God. Part of coming to God is to admit and say that you know you have sin, right? And to know that you need to get rid of this sin to be with God & Jesus, right?

So repenting is telling Jesus that you know that you have sinned and that sin is wrong in His eyes and according to the law of holiness.

Then, Jesus will forgive your sin (all of them), so when the Father who is holy (no sin) looks at you He does not see all the ugly sinful things that you have done. Do you know what the Father then see's when He looks at you? He see's His perfect Son, Jesus Christ who has always loved the Father and followed His will.

And because the Father see's His Son, who is holy the fact that Jesus is our advocate, the Father see's us the same way as He see's Jesus.

Isn't that amazing?

That is why we repent, because part of asking for forgiveness of sin is admitting that you have sinned and have a sin problem.

Does that make sense?

Hi, (sorry an edit. I am too shaken up by your response to not have my hands shake now. Yes, it is that nice.) (I am done now with the edit.)

Oh Wow.

LOVE,

Hi again,

Would you consider this, and only this, as the rest is too what I will call perfect.

Do you know what the Father then see's when He looks at you? He see's His perfect Son, Jesus Christ who has always loved the Father and followed His will.

To this: (sorry. I missed adding To this. I am not recovered from your words yet.)

Do you kow what The Father then see's when He looks at you? He see's you, but perfect in being sinless like His Son, Jesus Christ who has always loved The Father and followed His will. He sees a perfect you.

I am only asking you to think on this. I am not telling you anything to do. And, yes, you can point out that I am entirely wrong and nit picking. I was just so impressed by your accuracy, that one little teeny possible flaw was there, even though you took care of it later, it stopped me for a moment.

LOVE,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi, (sorry an edit. I am too shaken up by your response to not have my hands shake now. Yes, it is that nice.) (I am done now with the edit.)

Oh Wow.

LOVE,

Hi again,

Would you consider this, and only this, as the rest is too what I will call perfect.

To this: (sorry. I missed adding To this. I am not recovered from your words yet.)

I am only asking you to think on this. I am not telling you anything to do. And, yes, you can point out that I am entirely wrong and nit picking. I was just so impressed by your accuracy, that one little teeny possible flaw was there, even though you took care of it later, it stopped me for a moment.

LOVE,

I think it is a fine change. It's adding a little more detail. :amen:

Upvote 0

Countryangel707

Sep 29, 2015
✟17,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Isn't that amazing?

Does that make sense?
Yes that makes perfect sense thank you :)

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Intellectual assent - agreeing intellectually with a given proposition - is not the same as saving faith. Saving faith is not just agreeing a thing is true, but letting the truth of that thing shape your thinking, attitudes and behaviour. Demons know who Jesus is; they are well acquainted with the reality of God - but they are still His enemies. They certainly can agree to the fact of the existence of God, but they have no intention of ever loving Him and submitting themselves to Him! A person who has a saving faith in Christ, however, not only agrees that Jesus is God and their Savior, but submits to his will and way in their life. What does Jesus say?

Matthew 12:50 (NKJV)
50 For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother."

Matthew 7:21 (NKJV)
21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

Now, doing the will of God, doing good works, doesn't save you, but a person who genuinely believes in Christ as their Saviour expects that doing so will lead to a changed life, a life that is lived consistent with the will of God. The apostles preached repentance whenever they preached the Gospel. Repentance is taking a new course, a new way, through life. It is a way that is to be centered upon God and His will. But turning to this life necessitates turning away from one's old life, right? This determination to repent is integral to saving faith; it is the product of a faith that is not mere intellectual assent but something deeper, something touching the heart.

Selah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Countryangel707

Sep 29, 2015
✟17,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Intellectual assent - agreeing intellectually with a given proposition - is not the same as saving faith. Saving faith is not just agreeing a thing is true, but letting the truth of that thing shape your thinking, attitudes and behaviour. Demons know who Jesus is; they are well acquainted with the reality of God - but they are still His enemies. They certainly can agree to the fact of the existence of God, but they have no intention of ever loving Him and submitting themselves to Him! A person who has a saving faith in Christ, however, not only agrees that Jesus is God and their Savior, but submits to his will and way in their life. What does Jesus say?

Matthew 12:50 (NKJV)
50 For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother."

Matthew 7:21 (NKJV)
21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

Now, doing the will of God, doing good works, doesn't save you, but a person who genuinely believes in Christ as their Saviour expects that doing so will lead to a changed life, a life that is lived consistent with the will of God. The apostles preached repentance whenever they preached the Gospel. Repentance is taking a new course, a new way, through life. It is a way that is to be centered upon God and His will. But turning to this life necessitates turning away from one's old life, right? This determination to repent is integral to saving faith; it is the product of a faith that is not mere intellectual assent but something deeper, something touching the heart.

Selah.
well i belive that Jesus is God but the part i struggle with is whether i let it shape my thinking

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
well i belive that Jesus is God but the part i struggle with is whether i let it shape my thinking

Hi

The more, God gives you Belief, is the more that you will do works, or. Or as you put it, shape your thinking.

You are waiting on God, but you seem quite upset. Try this, and tell no one, till you get the results. Do, something predicated on God only. See what happens, then go from there.

In English now. Do, something because it is written in The Bible, and also because it is too simple for you to misunderstand, but. But if you can, see how things were before and compare them to things afterwards. Tell no one that you are doing that activity, and after it is all over, meaning you know wheter it works or not, because God put it in the Bible, then see how you handle what is written there.

LOVE,

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My heart goes out to you Countryangel and I'd like to help you if at all possible. Here's an attempt and if you can give me your reaction perhaps I'll understand you better and I might gains some more insight into the root of your problem...

Romans 10:17 says faith comes from hearing the message and the message is the Word of God.

Therefore we know that you need to be in the Word to strengthen your faith. What are your doubts? Can we discuss those so as to buttress some Bible truths you right now find dubious with other Scripture? I hope you'd be open to this. Perhaps I'm not reading enough of your posts though...maybe you've done this with others already and feel you are coming up short still??

You seem to be saying that your doubts are what trouble you and not the idea of being a believer...as though you hate the stumbling blocks to your faith. If so, sounds like you are a believer...we don't all start out powerful believers...

Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” --Mark 9:24 (So you see you are not alone) See also.... The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!” --Luke 17:5 pray for an increased measure of faith...it's a gift and great faith is listed as one of the singular gifts given to some in the body of Christ. We, most of us, begin our faith as small faith...small as a mustard seed Jesus says He also likens faith as yeast working in the flour...all driven by the Holy Spirit. In your prayers do not doubt that it will be given unto you...see James 1:5-7:
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to add that Jesus offered parables explaining faith working and growing within us...the receiving of the Holy Spirit; entering into the Kingdom of God. Reading these may reassure you that you are in the faith. Here are some citations: Mark 4:26-29, 30-34; Luke 13:18-24. We enter the Kingdom of God as a child...Mark 10:15...when a child wants something pride is broken down and we are willing to ask the necessary questions and jump through hoops to gain that object...like Nicodemus.

Upvote 0