Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My thanks to Gurney and Yeshua!
Like I said, "I have nothing better to do."
Being eternally the foreigner is hard. Even when most people are kind and decent to you.

Where are you in Russia? Go to a Church when no one is there. Light a candle and stay quiet as long as you "need" to...you WILL feel it! :crosseo:

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I've had a bad day and I'm now at the stage of asking of asking why I'm here .

I don't want to be, but I know I've no option but to be here.

Please pray for me till I emerge from this again

And Anhelyna, just always remember...if you were the ONLY person on Earth...Yeshua would still have died FOR YOU...AND ONLY YOU...that is how important YOU ARE! Remember, you are NEVER alone. :crosseo:

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My prayers, Anhelyna. Like others here, I am just coming out of my desert as well. Had it for about a month. Thank God I'm finally out of it, and yes, we all know these times come and go, and we are to learn and grow from them. God be with you. :hug:

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I want to thank all of you for your support . This is a tough week for me and it will continue yet for a while .

I've been really touched by the PMs from people who were willing to listen to me if I need to 'talk' - thank you for your understanding.

You have my prayers as well. You have always been kind to me, and everyone else; I pray that our Lord blesses you with an abundance of love, comfort and peace!:crossrc::crossrc::prayer::prayer::crossrc::crossrc:

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Where are you in Russia? Go to a Church when no one is there. Light a candle and stay quiet as long as you "need" to...you WILL feel it! :crosseo:
With four kids (three at home) and three jobs, I simply don't have that luxury.
Things like going where I want when I want, doing what I feel like doing are too limited to what I have to do to spontaneously run off somewhere on my own.

..Yeshua would still have died FOR YOU...

The name "Yeshua" may indeed be what Jesus was historically called in his own time, but it is neither English usage nor Orthodox practice. That's one of the things that makes you look like a "closet Jew" to other Orthodox. Accepting the conventions of speech of your neighbor (here, speaking with Orthodox English speakers) both makes it easier or them to understand you AND affirms your own attitude towards things. Why don't you just say "Jesus"?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tend to agree. We don't say Adonai, Al Shaddai, Elohim, Yaweah, and a host of other more ethnically-precise terms when having these conversations. Jesus' name in Aramaic isn't really important to me. His name for our English conventional use is sufficient and the norm. I'm content with "Lord," "God" "Most-Holy Trinity" and "Jesus" as well....the conventions of our own language.

The name "Yeshua" may indeed be what Jesus was historically called in his own time, but it is neither English usage nor Orthodox practice. That's one of the things that makes you look like a "closet Jew" to other Orthodox. Accepting the conventions of speech of your neighbor (here, speaking with Orthodox English speakers) both makes it easier or them to understand you AND affirms your own attitude towards things. Why don't you just say "Jesus"?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
With four kids (three at home) and three jobs, I simply don't have that luxury.
Things like going where I want when I want, doing what I feel like doing are too limited to what I have to do to spontaneously run off somewhere on my own.

A "closet Jew"...just because I prefer to use His original name? Jews would not even talk about Him, maybe you mean a "Jewish CHRISTIAN"? Would you use that as a derogatory term? I use Jesus sometime and other times I don't. I really never thought about it. :D Orthodox practice is to call Him in what ever language those ethnic Orthodox choose to call him...in Russian, in Greek, in English...or in Hebrew. I have been in a parish that had Greeks, Ethiopians, Syrians, Russians and English members. Throughout the service, ALL the languages were used and The Lord's Prayer was said one by one by all members in their own language. So stop straining at a gnat while swallowing a camel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A "closet Jew"...just because I prefer to use His original name? Jews would not even talk about Him, maybe you mean a "Jewish CHRISTIAN"? Would you use that as a derogatory term? I use Jesus sometime and other times I don't. I really never thought about it. :D Orthodox practice is to call Him in what ever language those ethnic Orthodox choose to call him...in Russian, in Greek, in English...or in Hebrew. I have been in a parish that had Greeks, Ethiopians, Syrians, Russians and English members. Throughout the service, ALL the languages were used and The Lord's Prayer was said one by one by all members in their own language. So stop straining at a gnat while swallowing a camel.
I don't think that's loving your neighbor, to deliberately communicate in terms apposite to their language. It's like walking into the room and speaking Chinese to everyone. You may be praising God in Chinese, but it does not edify people who don't speak the language. I could talk about Iisus Khristos, which is perfectly good Russian; to be more authentic I would simply type "Иисус Христос". But that would not be terribly considerate of my non-Russian speaking audience, and would both confuse people and distract from anything important I'm trying to say about our Lord.

It is divisive, not uniting, to insist on such usage here, and it requires discernment to recognizing that expressing that is NOT "straining at a gnat", a wholly inappropriate application of our Lord's words.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
OK - having said that [ and I really really do mean it ]

Thanks everyone - things are definitely starting to lift. I've even managed to Skype with my Confessor twice and you have no idea how that has helped .

I just seem to have so many of these Anniversary 'moments' and I have to say they don't get any easier . This one was really bad :( I'm still very emotional but improving - the black cloud has risen by about 2 feet :)

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that's loving your neighbor, to deliberately communicate in terms apposite to their language. It's like walking into the room and speaking Chinese to everyone. You may be praising God in Chinese, but it does not edify people who don't speak the language. I could talk about Iisus Khristos, which is perfectly good Russian; to be more authentic I would simply type "Иисус Христос". But that would not be terribly considerate of my non-Russian speaking audience, and would both confuse people and distract from anything important I'm trying to say about our Lord.

It is divisive, not uniting, to insist on such usage here, and it requires discernment to recognizing that expressing that is NOT "straining at a gnat", a wholly inappropriate application of our Lord's words.

No it isnt, it means exactly what it means. If you didn't know you could ask instead of attacking me and saying I sound like a "closet Jew". You are making a big deal about me using Yeshua when you clearly know who I am talking about rather than the larger issue we are discussing. The closet Jew

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Thanks everyone - things are definitely starting to lift. I've even managed to Skype with my Confessor twice and you have no idea how that has helped .

I just seem to have so many of these Anniversary 'moments' and I have to say they don't get any easier . This one was really bad :( I'm still very emotional but improving - the black cloud has risen by about 2 feet :)

that's great! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Anhelyna said:

I'm glad things are getting better!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

great to hear! glory to God and continued prayers!

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,909.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Delighted to hear it...:hug:

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Don't know if it'd help you...

But I was listening to a song recently from one of my favorite spoken word artists - and it really encouraged me to remember what it means to focus on the excellency of Christ in dark times. Praying it'd bless you, should you listen:

Upvote 0