I'm at a standstill

Apr 2, 2013
✟7,666.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because what I don't understand is: 'how can our loving God put you in a trial and just leave you there'?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I've been in a trial for months, with no end in sight. I'm near my breaking point. I have prayed, fasted, sought counsling and waited. Nothing. I have begged, cried, sought advice and waited. Still nothing. I have been faithful in reading my Bible, spending time with God, seeking his will for my life and obeying the scriptures(as best I can, I'm only human), and waited. And you guessed it, still nothing.

I guess what I'm looking for is an answer to my 'why' question. I don't understand, why I have to been in this situation for so long. I understand going through tests and trials, because that's how we all grow in God. But I can't seem to grasp, 'why so long'?

I have thought that maybe it's something that I'm still not seeing that He wants to teach me or some patience or maybe He wants me to stand on my own two feet and not depend on Him so much or idk....?

But my point is, I'm tired. I don't know how much longer I can hold on without completely losing it!!!!! For me....the abuse I'm suffering from this trial isn't even worth it. I want to stay with God, but when I look around and see the sinner man living waaaaay better on his own without God, I just get so angry!!!!! I don't understand why so much suffering? Why? You get over one really difficult trial and run right into another, without a break in between. And it's always one right after another.

Forgive me for complaining, but I just some kind of advice. Anything to help me out.

Thank you.

Spunkn

Jan 19, 2013
Nebraska
✟19,890.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans 8:18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

This was Paul, who had been beaten, stoned, chased out of town and many other things. Job is also another good example. We don't always understand why God puts us through the things he does.

Pain and suffering can

increase our faith
discipline us
reveal God's glory in some way
increase our testimony to others
let us share in Christ's suffering

those are just some examples, there are more reasons why God allows suffering. I don't say this to belittle what you're going through, I'm sure that is is very hard. To us, 100 years is a lifetime. But for God, 100 years is but a blink of time.

I went through 15 years of severe depression, feeling very suicidal many times. I prayed over and over night after night for God to get me out of it. Like you, I reached my breaking point time after time. I kept thinking how much easier it would be if I didn't exist, or if God had not created me.

Job 3:1 After this, Job opened his mouth and cursed the day of his birth.

Isaiah 55:9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Matthew 6:20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

You are storing up treasure in heaven, while the sinner is storing up treasure here on earth.

I would not wish the pain of depression I had on anyone. To go through what I did. But in some ways God can even work miracles through the most horrible of things. My relationship with God is many more times as strong, because of what I went through, and what He showed me and I am closer and more dependant upon Him as a result. Had I been given a much easier life, I think I would take Him for granted more, and still try to do things my own way.

Romans 5:3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;

God will not leave you. Nor does it sound like you are doing anything wrong. You are holding out on your relationship with God, and that makes Satan upset. Because he's trying to make you doubt. Make you doubt that God cares about you.

Ephesians 6:10-18 10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

Hang in there, God will see you through it :hug:

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2012
✟8,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because what I don't understand is: 'how can our loving God put you in a trial and just leave you there'?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I've been in a trial for months, with no end in sight. I'm near my breaking point. I have prayed, fasted, sought counsling and waited. Nothing. I have begged, cried, sought advice and waited. Still nothing. I have been faithful in reading my Bible, spending time with God, seeking his will for my life and obeying the scriptures(as best I can, I'm only human), and waited. And you guessed it, still nothing.

I guess what I'm looking for is an answer to my 'why' question. I don't understand, why I have to been in this situation for so long. I understand going through tests and trials, because that's how we all grow in God. But I can't seem to grasp, 'why so long'?

I have thought that maybe it's something that I'm still not seeing that He wants to teach me or some patience or maybe He wants me to stand on my own two feet and not depend on Him so much or idk....?

But my point is, I'm tired. I don't know how much longer I can hold on without completely losing it!!!!! For me....the abuse I'm suffering from this trial isn't even worth it. I want to stay with God, but when I look around and see the sinner man living waaaaay better on his own without God, I just get so angry!!!!! I don't understand why so much suffering? Why? You get over one really difficult trial and run right into another, without a break in between. And it's always one right after another.

Forgive me for complaining, but I just some kind of advice. Anything to help me out.

Thank you.

The poster above me had a wonderful answer. I will add my 2 cents.

Think of life as one big marathon you are training for. If you run the marathon without training, you will fail. If you train, you will be prepared for the big day. God is preparing you, for something. He is strengthening you and stretching you. Trust him. He knows what you need for the next chapter of life, and he is getting you ready for it.

Another important thing is to let go and let God. Sometimes we try and try. But nothing is better than when we reach the point of giving up. But we don't give up, we give in. We let God take over and fight the battle for us. Once we've reached this stretch of the battle, we've learned one of the most important lessons of life... that God fights our battles!! He is our strength! I have only learned this lesson in the hardest of trials, but after you fully let go, you feel a sweet peace and an incredible intimacy and leaning on God, it will totally be worth every painful step of the journey that brought you there! I have been in this place and it was so wonderful I now look back at my biggest trials with a bittersweetness. Those have truly been my best times in life because those were the times I was closest to God, and nothing comes even close to competing with that.

Hang in there. It feels long now, but someday you'll look back and realize the time was short compared to what all came out of this season. Just remember, God is there to fight this for you... rest in him and let him take the reigns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

manitouscott

Oct 20, 2012
Colorado
✟8,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what type of abuse you are referring to in the above post, but I strongly suggest walking away from the situation creating it.

I experienced a trial which lasted over 4 years, and in the end the answer was for me to leave that place. God did not give me directions, He let me stick to my stubborn guns and try to make the whole thing better because I would not give up some things that the place gave to me. In the end, I had to give them up to grow as a Christian and move on, but He let me make that decision on my OWN.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
great pretender I'm sorry you are going through that...
I've had to work at a few places that were unbearable until
I could find other work...my situation was really hard because
I didn't have a car and my money went to buying medicine for
my sick mom and paying bills.

If you are being harassed on the job or you are in an hostile work
environment there is something you can do about that legally.
...have you spoken to a lawyer and or attorney who handles work
place disputes/issues?

Upvote 0

trulyconverted

Nov 21, 2012
Earth
✟8,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hi greatpretender,

The trials are for us to be conformed to the image of His Son (Romans 8:29)

We are the clay, and God is our potter, and we all are the work of God's hand. (Isa 64:8)

I know exactly how you feel, I had some work related issues for a few years, thankfully the Lord has dealt with that for me - so at the moment it is a bit quiet in that aspect. But I still struggle daily with other very long standing personal issues. I think and feel that my trials have been running for more than 20 years now.

Yes, we do get exhausted but if you notice there is no way we can back off from it easily. Because at this moment in time that is the path God has laid for us to thread on (as He is sovereign in everything).

But in our weakness, God's strength is manifested in our lives. The Lord said My grace is sufficient for you (2 Cor 12:9).

He also looks after us in our situations, so we are able to endure it... "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." (1 Cor 10:13).

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I don't know what type of abuse you are referring to in the above post, but I strongly suggest walking away from the situation creating it.

I experienced a trial which lasted over 4 years, and in the end the answer was for me to leave that place. God did not give me directions, He let me stick to my stubborn guns and try to make the whole thing better because I would not give up some things that the place gave to me. In the end, I had to give them up to grow as a Christian and move on, but He let me make that decision on my OWN.
I had the same reaction.
But then applying it to work, I can see why you are choosing to stay -- you need to pay bills.

There are skills that we gain in making leaps. Doing research, making contacts and networking, attending professional meetings, taking classes... these are all valuable activities in themselves, and might be part of your answer.

What would it take for you to gain respect, to escape difficult people, to find a more rewarding activity... many of these can be changed by conversation and connections.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Been there, done that! Nobody can tell you why you're going through something except God, and sometimes, you aren't going to get an answer (or at least, not the one you want). Many times though, things become clearer in hindsight, so hopefully one day you can look back on this time in your life with more understanding. What I can tell you is that, if you're being obedient and faithful, and still suffering, there's a good reason for it. God doesn't allow us to suffer for no reason, or just for His own kicks. However, if your suffering is due to sin in your life, or other behaviors that you need to change, that's where you need to start. Fix yourself before complaining about what you're going through.

Some good tips on enduring hard times: Take good care of yourself. Eat well, sleep well, exercise to reduce stress, and try to do things you enjoy to lift your mood. Treat yourself kindly, don't beat yourself up, surround yourself with encouraging and uplifting people.

Some truths that you can remind yourself of when you're feeling down.

People who came before us have also shared in our suffering, and many of them had it much worse than we do.
“Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. Matthew 5:10-12

Being mistreated or abused was experienced by Jesus as well. He understands!
“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. John 15:18-20

There is no trouble or trial that can ever separate you from God.
"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:35-39

Enduring faithfully through hard times brings us closer to God, and He gets glorified through us.
"We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.
2 Corinthians 4:8-11

Suffering IS temporary. Remember that! No matter what you're going through, it WILL end.
"And the God of all grace, who called you to 0 his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." 1 Peter 5:10
"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be joy revealed in us." Romans 8:18

Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2013
✟7,666.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You all have really blessed me and have greatly encouraged me.:) I was really feeling down in the dumps about my work situation and wasn't really sure what I was going to do or how to handle it.

But reading these posts, I have renewed strength and hope. I am embarassed to admit, that I had forgotten about some of the scriptures that have been quoted here. I have a great joy in my heart today, because you all took the time to come to my aid and help see me through this (crying tears of joy). You all are just beautiful!!!

Thank you so much and God bless!!!

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2013
Southampton, England
✟9,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 11:28 MSG
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me---watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

Upvote 0