Contributor
Jun 21, 2005
Great Northwest
✟19,438.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Boy, this really won't be popular here, lol. I was divorced for 19 years, just remarried last Feb. I had two young children, decided to raise them first, our divorce was traumatic. And the Lord just didn't bring anyone special into my life until now. I married my daughter's father-in-law, lol.

Upvote 0

SearcherKris

Dec 26, 2007
Texas
✟9,378.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Boy, this really won't be popular here, lol. I was divorced for 19 years, just remarried last Feb. I had two young children, decided to raise them first, our divorce was traumatic. And the Lord just didn't bring anyone special into my life until now. I married my daughter's father-in-law, lol.
How neat!

Upvote 0

AirForceTeacher

King of the Wicker People
Feb 23, 2004
The south
✟20,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, if you're happy, and it doesn't weird out your kids, then cool!

Upvote 0

eatenbylocusts

Senior Veteran
Oct 13, 2005
✟14,434.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thats not to say you can't have productive relationships in those first couple of years but they can be more tumultuous then they will be afterwards. And the dynamics of that time in your life will likely be wierder then you expect. I know mine was.

Wow, this is making perfect sense to me. When I first started seeing my current bf he had answered my "how long" question with "about 3 years". That seemed like a respectable amount of time and I put that issue out of my mind especially when he talked about how he had just made peace with the idea that he might have to remain single since none of his dating attempts were offering any hope, until me. He made it sound like he'd been alone for so long. We really clicked and he went fast. So fast in his head that he scared himself to death thinking about where we might live, would the kids get along, etc..... Then comes the first conflict and he's telling me I might want to think about dating others because he might disappoint me, he stripped me of my title of "gf", but within a few days we agreed to date only each other.

I asked him again how long he'd been divorced and he pulled out his papers. If I remember correctly, the final decree wasn't even two years past. Right now I think it's been about 3 years since his ex left. Unlike some of us, the end of his marriage was unexpected and emotionally devastating as he came home from work to find his wife, dd and furniture gone. He knew they had issues, but they seemed to be in a good spot.

I am his first post-divorce relationship and it certainly seems like he has just cleared several hurdles in this whole healing thing. I have to tell you, it's been painful to be his lessons.

SearcherKris, it annoys me when I hear the time lines that list the divorce as the starting point. I was separated close to 4 years before my divorce was final. Some of that time I hoped for a miracle, but most of that time was spent on school, realization that I had no problem biblically with being divorced and considering remarriage, and then time spent learning how to finish the divorce and then waiting on my ticket to freedom to come in the mail. I was healed long before the decree came in the mail, but the day it came was the day I joined eharmony. I did have the experience of going on a first date with a guy who really needed more time to heal even though he denied it even after tearing up after talking about his ex.

For me, I alway knew I wanted to be married again especially since my ex fled to another country leaving my kids with no father in their lives, but it was just something I knew I wanted. After my first post-divorce relationship ended with my broken heart, a very strong desire for marriage and an intact family was ignited. That seems to be a little backwards for how it should be, but I had received a taste of a promising, Christian marriage and that taste made me hungry for more. That doesn't mean I'm being reckless (I hope), especially since I did end a year relationship that was not healthy after I realized it probably would never be healthy and he didn't care for me enough for me to stick around any longer to see if he could fix some issues in his life.

My best advice it to take relationships as slow as possible and decide on your physical boundaries long before a first date. I hadn't been kissed in years and no kisses with my ex husband could compare to that first post-divorce kiss.:swoon: I guess it's nice to know that there are still new things to experience even in the 40's.

Upvote 0

PaladinWithGun2

Warning: Contents Under Pressure
May 20, 2006
Huntsville, Texas
✟18,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, this is making perfect sense to me. When I first started seeing my current bf he had answered my "how long" question with "about 3 years". That seemed like a respectable amount of time and I put that issue out of my mind especially when he talked about how he had just made peace with the idea that he might have to remain single since none of his dating attempts were offering any hope, until me. He made it sound like he'd been alone for so long. We really clicked and he went fast. So fast in his head that he scared himself to death thinking about where we might live, would the kids get along, etc..... Then comes the first conflict and he's telling me I might want to think about dating others because he might disappoint me, he stripped me of my title of "gf", but within a few days we agreed to date only each other.

I asked him again how long he'd been divorced and he pulled out his papers. If I remember correctly, the final decree wasn't even two years past. Right now I think it's been about 3 years since his ex left. Unlike some of us, the end of his marriage was unexpected and emotionally devastating as he came home from work to find his wife, dd and furniture gone. He knew they had issues, but they seemed to be in a good spot.

I am his first post-divorce relationship and it certainly seems like he has just cleared several hurdles in this whole healing thing. I have to tell you, it's been painful to be his lessons.

SearcherKris, it annoys me when I hear the time lines that list the divorce as the starting point. I was separated close to 4 years before my divorce was final. Some of that time I hoped for a miracle, but most of that time was spent on school, realization that I had no problem biblically with being divorced and considering remarriage, and then time spent learning how to finish the divorce and then waiting on my ticket to freedom to come in the mail. I was healed long before the decree came in the mail, but the day it came was the day I joined eharmony. I did have the experience of going on a first date with a guy who really needed more time to heal even though he denied it even after tearing up after talking about his ex.

For me, I alway knew I wanted to be married again especially since my ex fled to another country leaving my kids with no father in their lives, but it was just something I knew I wanted. After my first post-divorce relationship ended with my broken heart, a very strong desire for marriage and an intact family was ignited. That seems to be a little backwards for how it should be, but I had received a taste of a promising, Christian marriage and that taste made me hungry for more. That doesn't mean I'm being reckless (I hope), especially since I did end a year relationship that was not healthy after I realized it probably would never be healthy and he didn't care for me enough for me to stick around any longer to see if he could fix some issues in his life.

My best advice it to take relationships as slow as possible and decide on your physical boundaries long before a first date. I hadn't been kissed in years and no kisses with my ex husband could compare to that first post-divorce kiss.:swoon: I guess it's nice to know that there are still new things to experience even in the 40's.
Great post!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

SearcherKris

Dec 26, 2007
Texas
✟9,378.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
...Maybe I'm being simplistic, but if you're looking to concentrate on finding a good Godly man and establishing a strong relationship based on friendship and true concern for each other, then the interval will take care of itself. As long as you're not rushing anything or allowing yourself to be rushed, then it takes as long as it takes. God bless you, sister.
This seems very sensible to me.

Upvote 0

klynnmiller

Cry out to Jesus!
Nov 17, 2006
Indiana
✟10,602.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SearcherKris,

Wow! I know how lonely it can get when you go from being a "we" to a "me". Thankfully, I was able to surround myself with family and took time to grow closer to God.

I got to the point that I really didn't even want to "look" for a relationship, after all, I hadn't done a very god job in picking men in the past. So I would pray everynight to God for (my examples) a good Christian man, then a man with kids, one that had been married before, one that liked baseball, one that had blue eyes, then blonde hair whose kids weren't older than mine but weren't younger either. Whatever, but I got to the point that after a year of praying for extreme specifics, I just told God to pick one for me because I obviously couldn't pick one for myself.

Three months later, I met my husband. A good Christian man, who, loves baseball, has 2 kids between the ages of my kids, was previously married, has blue eyes and blonde hair and exactly everything I asked God for as if He was writing everything down on an order pad everynight when I prayed!

I never set a time limit, I let God lead me and He brought me to everything I asked for and MORE!!! My marriage is wonderful and fulfilling, and it's all because I asked God to lead me.

My advice is to pray. Then pray. Then pray some more. Ask God for what you want, and speak to Him as a friend and your Father. Ask Him to lead you and seek Him in everything!!! First seek that relationship with Him and when He thinks you are ready, He will answer your prayers.

I will keep you in my prayers!!!!:prayer:

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SearcherKris, I can say with the utmost honesty that only you will know when you are ready to begin dating again. I had been divorced for six years when I married my current husband, but I had a serious relationship only seven months after my divorce. I wasn't ready. I latched on to the first man who appeared to offer the polar opposite life from my ex-husband (I was abused). He was mature, he seemed gentle and kind, he was honest, he was a Christian and he was financially responsible. Things aren't always what they appear to be. I wish I would have waited longer.

But everyone recovers at a different pace. I think in cases of abuse and adultery it can be difficult to not cling to the first person who strikes your fancy, because you crave intimacy and compassion and tenderness. I know that in my case I felt compelled to prove to myself and others that I was capable of attracting a good, decent man.

Upvote 0